Manchester United vs. Tottenham Hotspur

--------------------PIG---------------------
Rafael--------Vidic------Brown----------Evra
Park---------Carrick----Anderson--------Nani
-------------Berbatov---Owen---------------

Subs: Foster, Neville, Gibson, Scholes, Obertan, Welbeck, Macheda.

Against Spurs (who have had a great start this season), I don't want to see a team full of kids TBH. It's the Carling Cup quarter final against a good side, we need some top players out there. Berbatov needs to play since he's missed the last month and Owen should start more games. Nani also needs a game I think, also Park as well to try and get his fitness up more. Put some kids on the bench and bring them on later in the match if we're in control.

“It will be the same players that played on Wednesday,” he said of his team for Tuesday’s visit of Harry Redknapp’s side. “Their future is well marked out, I think.”

Sir Alex defends young stars - Manchester United Official Web Site

If the younger squad players don't get to start Carling cup matches then when are they going to play? Seriously, anyone not starting this type of game, dead Champions League matches, or the FA cup tie against Leeds, should be out on loan.

“It will be the same players that played on Wednesday,” he said of his team for Tuesday’s visit of Harry Redknapp’s side. “Their future is well marked out, I think.”

Sir Alex defends young stars - Manchester United Official Web Site

If the younger squad players don't get to start Carling cup matches then when are they going to play? Seriously, anyone not starting this type of game, dead Champions League matches, or the FA cup tie against Leeds, should be out on loan.

Oh, I don't mind 2-3 young lads starting but as long as it's a mixture of youth and experience then fair enough. If the starting 11 was an entire line-up of young lads then it'd be tough IMO.

Is this on telly anywhere in the world?

If not, we're screwed for streams too. Annoyingly, MUTV aren't even showing the full game late on Wednesday evening.
It's on Sky Sports 1 ... at least it is according to "Live Sport 24/7", a good and reliable pay-subscription on-line streaming service.

@Glaston

How are Spurs likely to approach this, they've tended to play reserves, the likes of Hutton and Bale and Pavlyuchenko. Is this likely to continue, or is Redknapp more likely to see this as a way into Europe

@Glaston

How are Spurs likely to approach this, they've tended to play reserves, the likes of Hutton and Bale and Pavlyuchenko. Is this likely to continue, or is Redknapp more likely to see this as a way into Europe
As I said earlier in this thread:

"Not sure. The league is certainly Harry's main priority, especially since we're still in with a fighting chance of 4th place. But then again we rarely field weakened teams just to rest players and we don't have the burden of European games this time around.

Modric is now back in training, but think this will still be one game too early for him ... maybe a place on the subs bench?

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Bale given a go at LB, but otherwise the same team that started against Villa except maybe Jenas instead of Huddlestone."

I'd add now that I also reckon Keane will play up front, since he's only played a few minutes since Ireland were robbed of their WC spot.

So I'd guess at:

---------- Gomes ------
Corluka - Dawson - Bassong - Bale
Lennon - Jenas - Palacios - Kranjcar
------- Defoe - Keane

Edit: Kranjcar is cup-tied, so maybe Dos Santos in LM

--------------------PIG---------------------
Rafael--------Vidic------Brown----------Evra
Park---------Carrick----Anderson--------Nani
-------------Berbatov---Owen---------------

Subs: Foster, Neville, Gibson, Scholes, Obertan, Welbeck, Macheda.

Against Spurs (who have had a great start this season), I don't want to see a team full of kids TBH. It's the Carling Cup quarter final against a good side, we need some top players out there. Berbatov needs to play since he's missed the last month and Owen should start more games. Nani also needs a game I think, also Park as well to try and get his fitness up more. Put some kids on the bench and bring them on later in the match if we're in control.

He'll stick with the kids gal. He did it in an FA Cup semi-final against Everton and i'm certain he'll do it here. Welbeck, Macheda, Obertan, Gibson are all certs to start.

I think Park and Berbatov are good shouts too. Both for the purpose of getting some football to get their fitness levels up. Hopefully we'll get to see Obertan and Welbeck too.

He'll stick with the kids gal. He did it in an FA Cup semi-final against Everton and i'm certain he'll do it here. Welbeck, Macheda, Obertan, Gibson are all certs to start.

Wouldn’t it be more beneficial to give the likes of Berbatov and Park especially some much needed match time though? i would prefer to see a mixture of young players and first teamers for this one given the quality of opposition and the need for some first team members to get some minutes in their legs....Berba has only played one game in over a month now and that being an international friendly and Parks been out injured since September.…

Ferguson to recall youngsters for League Cup

LONDON (AP) - Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson is set to recall a half dozen of his young players to face Tottenham in this week's League Cup quarterfinals, just a week after they slumped to an embarrassing loss in Europe.

United hosts Spurs in one of Tuesday's two matches in what is a rerun of last year's final, which Ferguson's team won in a shootout following a 0-0 draw.

Having started his strongest side on Saturday to help keep the club within five points of Premier League leader Chelsea, Ferguson will give Danny Welbeck, Federico Macheda, Rafael da Silva and Gabriel Obertan another chance to prove themselves worthy of a lengthy career with United.

They missed their last opportunity, losing 1-0 to Besiktas to surrender the club's eight-year unbeaten home record in the Champions League.

"It will be the same players that played on Wednesday," Ferguson said. "Their future is well marked out, I think.

"Of course, they will grow from that experience. I was confident of playing them and they had every right to play."

Those four players are all between 18 and 20 years old, with 21-year-old Anderson and 22-year-old Darron Gibson also set to return against Spurs.

Ferguson said the sextet's development compared favorably with that of David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville, who helped United to the 1995-96 title in their first seasons as first-team regulars. They were all 20 at the start of that season.

Ferguson said his youngsters just need the experience of games against the likes of Tottenham, which is third in the Premier League and has reached the League Cup final each of the past two seasons.

"We're not talking about ability here; we're talking about experience," Ferguson said. "That's why we have to play them. Games are the one thing we have to give them.

"We can't just give them that old head that helps you deal with situations like on Wednesday in the final third of the field."

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has to decide whether to stick with his strongest side, which beat Wigan 9-1 and then drew 1-1 at Aston Villa in its past two matches, or shuffle the lineup and jeopardize his chances of a shock win.

Luka Modric and Ledley King are still recuperating from injury, so Redknapp may tinker with rather than completely overhaul his team.

Ferguson to recall youngsters for League Cup - England News - FOX Sports on MSN

Wouldn’t it be more beneficial to give the likes of Berbatov and Park especially some much needed match time though? i would prefer to see a mixture of young players and first teamers for this one given the quality of opposition and the need for some first team members to get some minutes in their legs....Berba has only played one game in over a month now and that being an international friendly and Parks been out injured since September.…

Oh yeah, i fully expect Park to play. Not sure about Berbatov though, although his best games for us have been against Tottenham.

Obertan, Park, Tosic and Nani all need games. But at most two of them will start.
I'll be gutted for Tosic if he does not start, but chances are he will not.

------------------------Foster------------------------

--Rafael---------Brown---------Vidic-----------Evra--

--Park J S--------Gibson------Anderson------Obertan--

--------------------Macheda--Welbeck----------------

Subs: Rooney, Kuzczak, Berbatov, Carrick, DeLaet, Nani, Owen
Prediction:2-1 win. Macheda, Obertan

superb. i thought the kids did very well against besiktas and its good to see them given a go so soon after that match. not too bothered if we win or lose this one...it is more important that we give the kids the experience to see who can hack it or not.

Starting 11

--------Kuszczak

Rafael Brown Vidic Evra

Obertan Carrick Anderson Nani

-----Macheda Owen

Subs
Foster
De Laet
Evans
Gibson
Tosic
Welbeck
Berbatov

No doubt this squad is completely wrong and Sir Alex will pick a vastly different side.

Really can't pick this side. With Welbeck, Macheda, Rafael, Anderson, Gibson, and Obertan all set to be involved, it makes it difficult. I really think we'd get overrun in midfield against Spurs if we have just Gibson and Anderson there, so I can see Sir Alex going for 433 with Gibson, Carrick/Scholes/Fletcher and Anderson across the middle, with Obertan, Macheda, and Welbeck as a front three.

Kuszczak impressed against Portsmouth so I think he deserves another game in goal here, Foster on the bench. Rafael, Brown, and Vidic will all likely play, or perhaps Evans over one of them. Left Back is the hardest position to pick, I'm not sure if Evra will play.

However, some of the youngsters mentioned may just start on the bench and get brought on regardless.

Actually think we'll get beat if Harry fields a strong side, which I really think he will. He'll just rest the odd big player, like Defoe or Lennon maybe.

For any Germany based reds, this game will be shown live on DSF tonight.

Starting 11

--------Kuszczak

Rafael Brown Vidic Evra

Obertan Carrick Anderson Nani

-----Macheda Owen

Subs
Foster
De Laet
Evans
Gibson
Tosic
Welbeck
Berbatov

No doubt this squad is completely wrong and Sir Alex will pick a vastly different side.

That's the same starting 11 I came up with yesterday when talking to a Spurs supporting friend who's going to the match.

My guide says it's on Sky Sports 2, with a Soccer Special on SS1 for the other games. Just in case you turn on SS1 and find there's no game.

-----------------PIG-------------------

Rafael-----Brown-------Vida--------Evra

------Gibson-----Carrick-----Anderson---

---Welbeck------Kiko--------Nani/Obertan--

-----------------PIG-------------------

Rafael-----Brown-------Vida--------Evra

------Gibson-----Carrick-----Anderson---

---Welbeck------Kiko--------Nani/Obertan--
like this team you've picked - would give us a bit more protection

Hope Welbeck starts upfront with Berbatov. I remember they played together away to Southampton in the F.A. Cup last season, they where quality together.

Hope Welbeck starts upfront with Berbatov. I remember they played together away to Southampton in the F.A. Cup last season, they where quality together.

Unlikely seeing as we've got The 'ammers on Saturday. Not even sure the guy's recovered from injury, has he?

I think a front 3 of Welbeck---Berba-----Rooney would be class

About to don my double socks and 4 tops. Meeting a few Spurs fans for a pre-match pint. I know, I know, its not my fault - I play 5 a side with one of em, and its become a tradition. One that I normally end up with full bragging rights.... not confident tonight mind. Regardless of freezing mi nads off, I'm right looking forward to it.

COME ON!