Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

I'm so happy Arnold is a hands-off CEO.

No involvement in sporting matters whatsoever.
He has distanced himself from them but when it comes to dropping £100m on a 30 year old every CEO will need to make a call

And I agree with that decision. £46m hit to the books every year for 4 years with our shower of shite squad that has next to no chance of winning anything? Would have been an absolute disaster. We are most definitely not "a striker away" like many on here like to think.

Honestly don't disagree. Going as far back as SAF we've brought in RVP, Falcao, Zlatan, Cavani, Ighalo, Ronaldo. This is how we keep needing a new 9 every other season.
And I agree with that decision. £46m hit to the books every year for 4 years with our shower of shite squad that has next to no chance of winning anything? Would have been an absolute disaster. We are most definitely not "a striker away" like many on here like to think.
But this is just 1 scenario where they have meddled, you like it this time, but Joel also meddled in us not getting the likes of Caicedo and Thiago, there are many many many signings or non signings that Joel Glazer and the CEO have pulled stunts like this. So again I ask how can John Murtough get all the shit when this stuff is constantly going on?

I think it was well reported Osimhen fancied a PL move and that is why he turned down Suadi.

Reports again today suggest United was Kanes preferred destination this summer and was also willing to wait to move for free next summer.

I think Napoli would have been ridiculously difficult to deal with.

With Kane, he'd not be the right signing anyway, given where the rest of our team is at this point. With Hojlund at least you can give it a few years before things click, with Kane you'd need them to click immediately and we are not at a point where we could confidently expect that.

He has distanced himself from them but when it comes to dropping £100m on a 30 year old every CEO will need to make a call
Kane is not just any 30-year-old and 30 today is not the same as 30 10 years ago.

This shows a pathetic lack of ambition. We've lost two great players to Bayern who should be playing for us because Mr. Rugby and Mr American football think they know best.

If we'd sold a few more players and acted more aggressively (like Arsenal), we'd be in a different position. All in all, we need the Glazer clowns and their stooges out Asap to stand any chance of competing, let alone winning top honors.

So can we sum it up with - we don't trust the players to win, we don't trust the manager or the recruitment staff to find good players, we don't trust the director of football to hire the right manager or recruitment staff, we don't trust the CEO to hire a good director of football, and we don't trust the owners to hire a good CEO (or even just not be a stain on the club)?
Pretty much. We don't have anybody in the hierarchy who can confidently say "what the feck are you doing?" to the others.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Solari has the same DoF responsibilities that PL DoFs have. Real Madrid is pretty vague about who makes signings, but I think it's generally understood to be CEO Jose Angel Sanchez and Chief Scout Juni Calafat.
How does Real Madrid really work? I always thought that Florentino is the main man, but this Sanchez guy seems to be the CEO which usually is the main man? Is Florentino more like the equivalent of a chairman of board of directors, who is not managed in the day to day running of the club?

I think Napoli would have been ridiculously difficult to deal with.

With Kane, he'd not be the right signing anyway, given where the rest of our team is at this point. With Hojlund at least you can give it a few years before things click, with Kane you'd need them to click immediately and we are not at a point where we could confidently expect that.
Atalanta were difficult to deal with.

I agree with that decision. We will soon need to replace Casemiro, Varane and Eriksen without adding another on high wages. I realise he’d be a sure thing for goals but no guarantees that we would win anything. Better a medium term build with younger players

I agree with that decision. We will soon need to replace Casemiro, Varane and Eriksen without adding another on high wages. I realise he’d be a sure thing for goals but no guarantees that we would win anything. Better a medium term build with younger players
Agree. As much as I would have liked to see Kane at United, it was a no brainer to not go for him. There was not much chance we were going to compete for big tires this season, and only a small chance next season. So by the time we would be ready to compete, we would have be looking at already replacing Kane, in addition to Varane, Casemiro and probably Bruno.

How does Real Madrid really work? I always thought that Florentino is the main man, but this Sanchez guy seems to be the CEO which usually is the main man? Is Florentino more like the equivalent of a chairman of board of directors, who is not managed in the day to day running of the club?
Pretty much. Perez is the president of the club, elected by the club members, Sanchez is running the daily business (Remember, Real Madrid is a real club still owned by its members, it is not a company like Manchester United)

Interesting snippet from the full article is that the recruitment team were also against:

In United’s model, either the recruitment department or the manager has the right to veto targets, and scouts pushed back against the idea of signing Kane.

Atalanta were difficult to deal with.
Were they? Hojlund deal seemed very straightforward. They had a price they wanted and we got very close to it.

Napoli have rarely sold any of their best players during their prime. They are a much stronger and more wealthy than Atalanta.

Were they? Hojlund deal seemed very straightforward. They had a price they wanted and we got very close to it.

It clearly was not and the price kept moving.
Originally in May they were talking about 40-50m euros. July 60m euros with addons then after that up to 100m euros

Our first bid was 35m pounds. We paid double that in the end

It clearly was not and the price kept moving.
Originally in May they were talking about 40-50m euros. July 60m euros with addons then after that up to 100m euros

Our first bid was 35m pounds. We paid double that in the end

He was on the shortlist for both Bayern and PSG, should either not get Kane. If Atalanta had an evaluation, it definitely moved once they realized how hot his market was.

He was on the shortlist for both Bayern and PSG, should either not get Kane. If Atalanta had an evaluation, it definitely moved once they realized how hot his market was.
Indeed so they were not easy to deal with

Good 'decision' (although basically we couldn't afford him). Said all along the last thing this squad needs is another old player that will need replacing in the short term.

Pretty much. Perez is the president of the club, elected by the club members, Sanchez is running the daily business (Remember, Real Madrid is a real club still owned by its members, it is not a company like Manchester United)
Interesting, I always thought that he had far more power. In public companies, the chairmans (unless they are also main shareholders like Bezos) do not have that much power in the company (for example Arthur Levison is chairman of Apple, and John Hennesy is that of Alphabet, you probably never heard of them unlike for Tim Cook and Sundar Pichai).

I know that he is not an owner, so if similar to most public companies, his output should be that together with the board of directors, he elects the CEO and chooses the vision of the company. Which is less than what Glazers inbreeds do at United.

But this is just 1 scenario where they have meddled, you like it this time, but Joel also meddled in us not getting the likes of Caicedo and Thiago, there are many many many signings or non signings that Joel Glazer and the CEO have pulled stunts like this. So again I ask how can John Murtough get all the shit when this stuff is constantly going on?
By being part of the shite himself. Murtough is one of those glazer decisions.

For example ETH will rightly get some blame for the Antony and Casemiro panic transfers but the wheels were set in motion when our DoF at the end of the season assessed and declared the squad as being good enough and only needing minor tweaks. We did just that and were left panic spending on the last days of the window lookung for anything that could improve us. It's ironic that all summer people declared how Woodward would have had us pursuing Dybala.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you could have watched McTominay on the weekend and concluded we didn't need Mount.

Maybe I don't think we should be playing with 4 cms on the pitch.

We also signed Amrabat and he is more important for replacing McTominay than Mount is.

Eriksen > Mount

Casemiro was a bad buy then by this logic.

Interesting, I always thought that he had far more power. In public companies, the chairmans (unless they are also main shareholders like Bezos) do not have that much power in the company (for example Arthur Levison is chairman of Apple, and John Hennesy is that of Alphabet, you probably never heard of them unlike for Tim Cook and Sundar Pichai).

I know that he is not an owner, so if similar to most public companies, his output should be that together with the board of directors, he elects the CEO and chooses the vision of the company. Which is less than what Glazers inbreeds do at United.
Perez has the most power at Real Madrid. Just like Laporta at Barcelona. You seem to be agreeing and disagreeing in this post.

I read about recruitment in Liverpool and City. Klopp and Guardiola didn't buy any of their former players so far.
Pep said few times how scouting department has biggest role in finding best players for the club. In other words, scouts offer him players (based on his demands about ability) and then he picks from the list.

Murtough's way is a complete disaster.
Agreed. And not just Murtough's way, it's United's way.

Under Jose we signed Romero, Mkhitaryan, Pogba and Lukaku. All were under Mino Raiola, whom United had a connection with through Woodward. Bailly of course was with Mendes, Jose's agent.

When we went with the English Players strategy under Ole, many reports were coming out about our English players being involved in "tapping up".

Now its ten Hag's agency, or players ten Hag knew and can contact easily. Hojlund actually had to move to that agency earlier in the year I believe, to make the move happen.

It's simply taking the easy option. I'm sure other clubs do the same, and it is an efficient way of doing things, but surely not to the extent that we have taken it.

So I think the problem we complain about, where we sign the managers players and have a mish mash of players after the manager leaves, is not by design, or by trying to find the new Sir Alex, rather its the only way we know how to sign players.

Agreed. And not just Murtough's way, it's United's way.

Under Jose we signed Romero, Mkhitaryan, Pogba and Lukaku. All were under Mino Raiola, whom United had a connection with through Woodward. Bailly of course was with Mendes, Jose's agent.

When we went with the English Players strategy under Ole, many reports were coming out about our English players being involved in "tapping up".

Now its ten Hag's agency, or players ten Hag knew and can contact easily. Hojlund actually had to move to that agency earlier in the year I believe, to make the move happen.

It's simply taking the easy option. I'm sure other clubs do the same, and it is an efficient way of doing things, but surely not to the extent that we have taken it.

So I think the problem we complain about, where we sign the managers players and have a mish mash of players after the manager leaves, is not by design, or by trying to find the new Sir Alex, rather its the only way we know how to sign players.

Romero was at Twente or AZ with LVG and he brought him in from Sampdoria.

Sorry had to point that out :lol:

As for agents and player/manager associations. It’s very normal. I was watching a piece on it and the same agency they speak of has 7 players with Spurs which is more than us. But they want to highlight us.

Romero was at Twente or AZ with LVG and he brought him in from Sampdoria.

Sorry had to point that out :lol:

As for agents and player/manager associations. It’s very normal. I was watching a piece on it and the same agency they speak of has 7 players with Spurs which is more than us. But they want to highlight us.
Good point!

Arteta signed 2 Players from his old club.
EtH signed.. 2 players from his old club.

Arteta unnecessarily signed a Spanish Gk.
EtH necessarily signed a Dutch backup LB.

We are not just getting it now to due to the recent ten Hag agency story. Pundits and Journalists, from pre- season, have been highlighting how signing anything in the vicinity of being related to ten Hag is bad or incompetent.

Genuinely bizarre.

Good point!

Arteta signed 2 Players from his old club.
EtH signed.. 2 players from his old club.

Arteta unnecessarily signed a Spanish Gk.
EtH necessarily signed a Dutch backup LB.

We are not just getting it now to due to the recent ten Hag agency story. Pundits and Journalists, from pre- season, have been highlighting how signing anything in the vicinity of being related to ten Hag is bad or incompetent.

Genuinely bizarre.
Directly from his old club were only Martinez and Antony (at least one too many), but he also managed Onana for several years and Amrabat for a year.

The fecking problem in this club was Ed then passing the torch to fecking Arnold and Murtough. What a donkey Murtough is? Giving the director of football job of one of the biggest clubs in the world to an idiot like him is criminal, how he rejected 30m for a nothing player like Mctominay? This will be a mystery that no one will solve.

Get the feck out of this club.

Directly from his old club were only Martinez and Antony (at least one too many), but he also managed Onana for several years and Amrabat for a year.

And Eriksen trained with him at Ajax after he left Inter, and also came directly from Ajax's academy. Mount played in Holland on loan too whilst Ten Hag was managing at Ajax.

And Eriksen trained with him at Ajax after he left Inter, and also came directly from Ajax's academy. Mount played in Holland on loan too whilst Ten Hag was managing at Ajax.
Aye. Malacia and Wout also being Dutch and playing in Holland league.

It is beyond ridiculous.

Aye. Malacia and Wout also being Dutch and playing in Holland league.

It is beyond ridiculous.

It is and the fact that the Eredivisie is also not that strong a league is also really concerning.
Of course there are good players playing there but it just means on average the pool of players that you are getting is weaker than say recruiting from France or Portugal.
I honestly don't understand why we don't try and get players more often from either of those leagues.
Look at the 'success rate' from those leagues into the premier league relative to other leagues.