Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

Who did ETH want? Kane? Osimhen? De Jong? All unrealistic.

I agree, that the DOF should be bringing in players that fit the policy of the club, regardless of manager.

We dont know what the relationship between ETH and Murtough is and how much control ETH was given. To me, it seems like he was given the latitude to bring in the players he wanted, within the financial constraints of FFP and our high wage bill.
Kane / Osimhen were not unrealistic

We spent more than what it would have cost in wages and fees on Mount and Hojlund.

The new owner (if any) would not straightly sack the manager, they would break down the structure first, then give the manager a chance to work under new structure. it happened with Ranieri at Chelsea, Hughes at City, and Howie at newcastle.

They're only now expressing concerns? Surely the time to express concerns was when we were attempting to sign players and he was involved.

Don't talk sense. That's not part of the United DNA now. We consider an action for 6 months then panic and rush it.

They're only now expressing concerns? Surely the time to express concerns was when we were attempting to sign players and he was involved.
So they helped sell Iqbal and to sign Malacia, Amrabat and Hojlund…. Hardly an issue

In what way does he have an impact?

No one hear knows his exact roles and responsibilities.

If he doesnt have any impact of how the club is being running then we should thrown him out of door. Man is DoF for heaven sake!

One of the major issues at the club impacting on transfers, are the insane wages paid to middle of the road players by Woodward. Can’t move them on without swallowing large $$ , and it’s mainly the bottom half clubs looking at signing them which the players seem to believe are below them. FMD how much damage did Woodward do as he was let loose by the shopping centre owners.
Doesn’t look like much will change until those terrible signings and wages expire and the poisoned gnomes actually sell the club, how distasteful are their actions on selling the club, that seems to ensure poor results and performance until their stench is removed ( and changes in admin too )

Last edited:
You specifically mentioned the team that has been in place for a year. So please forgive me if I misunderstood your post because I thought you meant over a longer period of time.

At youth level we've signed Harry Amass who is rated among the best 16 year olds in his position at domestic level. And that was a big signing at youth level due to the competition for his signature. Biancheri is another youngster we've signed and we reportedly beat out Chelsea for his signature. But what I'm really excited about is the potential of some of the young central midfielders that have been at the club for a while now. Players like Fitzgerald, MacAllister, Moorhouse etc look very gifted for their respective age groups and are players who can receive and progress the ball in tight spaces. I'm very hopeful at least one of the aforementioned players will make it into the first team. And that's on top of having Mainoo, Gore, Hannibal etc who are also press resistant midfielders. Which is a change from the likes of Garner and Laird who were players that were very good but imo not as good against the opponent's press.
I admire your persistence.

The guys you reply to seem to think that a team that does not have a dominant position in a league (City, Bayern, Salzburg) can just buy the teenager talents from FM, throw them on a pitch and copy De Zerbi tactics to dominate.

The fact that people keep changing the goalposts of what success looks like and even give Rangnick as example, shows lack of understanding the incredible difference between managing (as a director or manager) a club that is expected to challenge for trophies and a club that is relying on blooding young players and sell them for profit.

And you haven't even added the extra parameter of Premier League competitiveness. There is a reason why the RB group don't have a club in England. If they did, it'd be Southampton. And that's exactly what that model leads to in England. Exciting youngsters on their way to relegation.

Kane / Osimhen were not unrealistic

We spent more than what it would have cost in wages and fees on Mount and Hojlund.
Where Osimhen go? How much did he cost?

You want us to sign a 30 year old for the money we spent on 2 young players? And also throw in wages that would destroy our wage structure.

Smart.

Where Osimhen go? How much did he cost?

You want us to sign a 30 year old for the money we spent on 2 young players? And also throw in wages that would destroy our wage structure.

Smart.
What wage structure what is Mounts wages?
Osimhen went no where, again whats your point here?

What wage structure what is Mounts wages?
Osimhen went no where, again whats your point here?
How was Osimhen feasible? Who bought him to give you confidence it was possible?

Bayern paid 110m EUR for Kane. United paid £55m for Mount.
Kane is reportedly on £415k/week. Mount is on £200k/week.

Do you comprehend numbers?

How was Osimhen feasible? Who bought him to give you confidence it was possible?

Bayern paid 110m EUR for Kane. United paid £55m for Mount.
Kane is reportedly on £415k/week. Mount is on £200k/week.

Do you comprehend numbers?
Osimhen had a asking price of 130-150m euros and he declined a move to Saudi. Thats what gives me confidence he was gettable.

Kane is on 400k a week with bonuses and Mount is on 300k a week with bonuses.

Hojlund + Mount in fee + wages is a similar if not more expensive outlay than Kane.

Good little video...not a direct reply to @Cassidy

But, yes, possible combining Hojlund and Mount would have been a comparable outlay to Kane, but then you would be very light in midfield...plus it's too early to say which was the correct decision long term for the club. I think Kane albeit not as immediate as Casemiro but would possibly need replacing in 2 years. Which makes the outlay to bring him to the club a tricky decision to make...I tihnk i would choose the younger duo tbh.

Let me put it this way.

Many years ago when Liverpool was a mediocre club and Man Utd was one of the biggest and richest club in the world.

For someone who know football inside out and know what is a good football structure, Klopp rejected us and joined Liverpool.

Time already proven that Klopp made the right decisions and won major trophies with Liverpool playing one of the most entertaining attacking football.

Klopp already see through our problems many years ago and went with Liverpool with better chance of success even though many people can't see it at that time.

Fast forward to now, the same top management team still in charge of the club (except Ed is gone) and still continue their unprecedented failure way of running the club.

How can we expect someone who has no experience running a top football club to be successful at Man Utd? Klopp is a football expert and he was aware of our problem many years ago. We need someone who really know football to run the club with all the problem areas identified and addressed.

Thanks.

I think you’ll be suprised. Most high profile new owners have brought in their own manager. Just look at all the take overs that have happened in the past few years.

I would keep ETH personally but I do not expect new owners who are likely to want to spend big and make a statement for instant success keeping him if his away record does not significantly improve.
I would like to know who is out there that is guaranteed to do a better job than letting ETH get on with it? Let’s not count pep and Klopp because they’re not going to happen.
Who?

And who is this magic consistent DoF that everyone wants who will get every decision spot on at Old Trafford?

Let me put it this way.

Many years ago when Liverpool was a mediocre club and Man Utd was one of the biggest and richest club in the world.

For someone who know football inside out and know what is a good football structure, Klopp rejected us and joined Liverpool.

Time already proven that Klopp made the right decisions and won major trophies with Liverpool playing one of the most entertaining attacking football.

Klopp already see through our problems many years ago and went with Liverpool with better chance of success even though many people can't see it at that time.

Fast forward to now, the same top management team still in charge of the club (except Ed is gone) and still continue their unprecedented failure way of running the club.

How can we expect someone who has no experience running a top football club to be successful at Man Utd? Klopp is a football expert and he was aware of our problem many years ago. We need someone who really know football to run the club with all the problem areas identified and addressed.
Let’s remember why Klopp very publicly turned us down. He said it was like Disneyland. Too much money. He then went on to talk about never spending too much, yet has turned into a bit of a hypocrite with that sentiment.

I would like to know who is out there that is guaranteed to do a better job than letting ETH get on with it? Let’s not count pep and Klopp because they’re not going to happen.
Who?

And who is this magic consistent DoF that everyone wants who will get every decision spot on at Old Trafford?
Sir Gareth Southgate, how bout that?

DoF I'm guessing people want would be Paul Mitchell.

Let’s remember why Klopp very publicly turned us down. He said it was like Disneyland. Too much money. He then went on to talk about never spending too much, yet has turned into a bit of a hypocrite with that sentiment.
Wasn't it that Woodward actually pitched it AS like Disneyland? Which is even worse. Then van Gaal took him at his word and was annoyed we couldn't sign Muller.

Sir Gareth Southgate, how bout that?

DoF I'm guessing people want would be Paul Mitchell.
Who’s been a disaster recently

the best option, IF we got rid of JM would be the guy that went to Newcastle from Brighton. He’s got a good track record

everyone else is hit and miss

Osimhen had a asking price of 130-150m euros and he declined a move to Saudi. Thats what gives me confidence he was gettable.

Hojlund + Mount in fee + wages is a similar if not more expensive outlay than Kane.

You are assuming Osimhen or Kane would want to come here. We are not the most desirable destination currently.

Besides, ETH wanted Mount badly by all accounts and we moved very swiftly to get him. Not signing him was probably not an option as he seemed to be our top priority.

Who?

Cristiano Giuntoli
Dan Ashworth
David Weir
Andre Beta
Santiago Solari

To name a few.. There’s never a guarantee but at this point Murtough can’t be trusted with recruitment any longer, seeing how much money’s been spent since his promotion, and that trust needs to lie with someone else. Chances are the right candidate will do a better job at spending it than him.

I think he realized after some talks that the required football knowledge wasn't there in the people running this club, neither with Woodward nor with the Glazers and decided that this is a bad sign, which I can totally understand. I once had a pretty similar experience, interviewing for a job where I could have worked on a project that I thought sounded fascinating, but after talking to the people in charge I decided not to take the job because I didn't get the impression the people in charge of this project knew what they were doing, every question I had was just met with a vague answer or "we'll figure that out once we get to it."

Cristiano Giuntoli
Dan Ashworth
David Weir
Andre Beta
Santiago Solari

To name a few.. There’s never a guarantee but at this point Murtough can’t be trusted with recruitment any longer, seeing how much money’s been spent since his promotion, and that trust needs to lie with someone else. Chances are the right candidate will do a better job at spending it than him.
Be honest though, do you expect this club to hire the right candidate?

Let me put it this way.

Can you clarify who from "the same top management team" is still in charge of the club?

As for Liverpool, I strongly suggest you read up on their owners, management and the fan opinion.

Be honest though, do you expect this club to hire the right candidate?
If Murtough is gone within the next month yes, if he isn’t, no. Now is Arnold’s opportunity to prove himself.

So, what you are saying is to buy someone even more expensive and make it completely impossible to address other positions? And in Kane's case, have to replace them fairly soon.

Well...I sure am thankful you're not in charge.

Cristiano Giuntoli - just signed 5 year contract with his favourite football team, all his family are Juve fans. I think we can file that under ‘not gonna happen’
Dan Ashworth - would be my choice IF it comes to it and IF he will leave Newcastle
David Weir - strange call. His job at Brighton is similar to Fletcher unless it’s now changed. Similar to that assistant to Warburton and a not very good manager at sheff Utd I think.
Andre Beta - okish; he was linked a few years back
Santiago Solari - am I missing something here? Sacked in his last few jobs as a coach. Where is he currently?

See above

Wasn't it that Woodward actually pitched it AS like Disneyland? Which is even worse. Then van Gaal took him at his word and was annoyed we couldn't sign Muller.
why is this so funny and sad at the same time :lol:

See above
You asked for DoFs with a better guarantee of success that weren’t at City or Liverpool, I didn’t know instant availability was a factor. Weir is Brighton’s current DoF and Solari is Real Madrid’s. He was a short term interim at Real Madrid whilst they lined up Zidane, and was gone in a few months. Looking at his experience and how long he’s been a back room member at a club with standards as high as Real Madrid, I feel like his judgement would be better suited than someone who has learned his trade under Woodward’s Utd. He’s one of many candidates though, I’m sure there’s plenty more I haven’t mentioned that can do a better job than our current DoF.

You asked for DoFs with a better guarantee of success that weren’t at City or Liverpool, I didn’t know instant availability was a factor. Weir is Brighton’s current DoF and Solari is Real Madrid’s. He was a short term interim at Real Madrid whilst they lined up Zidane, and was gone in a few months.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Solari has the same DoF responsibilities that PL DoFs have. Real Madrid is pretty vague about who makes signings, but I think it's generally understood to be CEO Jose Angel Sanchez and Chief Scout Juni Calafat.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Solari has the same DoF responsibilities that PL DoFs have. Real Madrid is pretty vague about who makes signings, but I think it's generally understood to be CEO Jose Angel Sanchez and Chief Scout Juni Calafat.
That’s fair, it seems to be a new position they’ve brought in and the inclusion is just going off Real Madrid’s process of thinking he’s the right man for it.

So can we sum it up with - we don't trust the players to win, we don't trust the manager or the recruitment staff to find good players, we don't trust the director of football to hire the right manager or recruitment staff, we don't trust the CEO to hire a good director of football, and we don't trust the owners to hire a good CEO (or even just not be a stain on the club)?

I read about recruitment in Liverpool and City. Klopp and Guardiola didn't buy any of their former players so far.
Pep said few times how scouting department has biggest role in finding best players for the club. In other words, scouts offer him players (based on his demands about ability) and then he picks from the list.

Murtough's way is a complete disaster.

I read about recruitment in Liverpool and City. Klopp and Guardiola didn't buy any of their former players so far.
Pep said few times how scouting department has biggest role in finding best players for the club. In other words, scouts offer him players (based on his demands about ability) and then he picks from the list.

Murtough's way is a complete disaster.

Even that's a reach. The role of the manager is limited to actually just identifying the positions or skillset the team is missing.

Picking the actual player they will buy is mostly out of their remit, but might involve some consultation. Guardiola being the best manager in the world, might be indulged more by City than some ordinary manager.

Who?

I do not think there is another manager out there. I am only stating new owners usually bring in new managers.

As for DOF none will get every decision right. There are some out there who have a good track record and plenty of experience though. Something we have not had at the club in the past 2 decades.

But since none will get everything right we might as well keep promoting people from within a club which has been consistently failing.

You are assuming Osimhen or Kane would want to come here. We are not the most desirable destination currently.

Besides, ETH wanted Mount badly by all accounts and we moved very swiftly to get him. Not signing him was probably not an option as he seemed to be our top priority.
I think it was well reported Osimhen fancied a PL move and that is why he turned down Suadi.

Reports again today suggest United was Kanes preferred destination this summer and was also willing to wait to move for free next summer.

So, what you are saying is to buy someone even more expensive and make it completely impossible to address other positions? And in Kane's case, have to replace them fairly soon.

Well...I sure am thankful you're not in charge.
No I am saying we did not need Mount and we could have done with a more expensive striker instead.

You asked for DoFs with a better guarantee of success that weren’t at City or Liverpool, I didn’t know instant availability was a factor. Weir is Brighton’s current DoF and Solari is Real Madrid’s. He was a short term interim at Real Madrid whilst they lined up Zidane, and was gone in a few months. Looking at his experience and how long he’s been a back room member at a club with standards as high as Real Madrid, I feel like his judgement would be better suited than someone who has learned his trade under Woodward’s Utd. He’s one of many candidates though, I’m sure there’s plenty more I haven’t mentioned that can do a better job than our current DoF.
Well if you want to instantly replace murtough then yes you want someone who’s available.
on that list weir just isn’t experienced enough, we may as well give the job to Stam or Vidic

I think it was well reported Osimhen fancied a PL move and that is why he turned down Suadi.

Reports again today suggest United was Kanes preferred destination this summer and was also willing to wait to move for free next summer.
Both were gettable and both would come here. Every player is gettable these days for right price. Fans just trying to find excuses to feel better.
Osimhen who said that wants to play in PL, will reject Man Utd. Yeah, right.

Absolutely all rumours were that Kane wants to go to Man Utd. But hey, 400k is all of sudden huge issue while Mount is on 250k plus bonuses.