Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

Yeah adding players from last window makes sense :lol:

Sorry. I don't understand what point you are making. To me, these ridiculous posts trying to score points about what clubs pay for players are just that, ridiculous (especially coming from Utd or City fans). Unfortunately, this is modern football.

There is nothing hypocritical about it as I never claimed Arsenal didn't have big problems. As an Arsenal fan I know perfectly well that we're kind of shit and that we'll never win anything big with Wenger around. That doesn't really bear on the question of why City, who have the top manager in the world (according to many at least) and a gazillion pounds of blood money to spend, have these substantial weaknesses.

Hypocrisy - 'the practice of claiming to have higher standards'. Arsenal have spent huge money on their spine yet are worse defensively than City. Perhaps you could have mentioned that when criticising City?

Because he's nothing special. I know money is no object for City but it still seems ridiculous to spend 50m on Walker when they could easily pick up someone as good or better for much cheaper.

Clearly its a massive amount for a RB - but its not like the market is flooded with decent full backs. He's a very good player, plays well at international level.

Not sure who else they could get at the same sort of level?

Sorry. I don't understand what point you are making. To me, these ridiculous posts trying to score points about what clubs pay for players are just that, ridiculous (especially coming from Utd or City fans). Unfortunately, this is modern football.

Point is simple, the post you quoted was talking about what City spent this season. Not sure why you brought Pogba into this as we haven't the money this season.

You need to develop thicker skin, City are rivals and someone or other will always take cheap shot.

How much will Pep have spent at city already after these signings. £350m odd?

If he doesn't win the treble this season, he's a shit manager

I don't think it's quite as shit as people think, still not great. They have Gundogan, a player who was probably the most impressive midfielder in Europe the season Dortmund made the CL final, playing in a deeper role than he's been used so far at City and Yaya's a better option than Carrick is for us. As for the centre backs they go up a level when they're paired with Kompany, without him Stones will still make awful decisions on the ball and Otamendi will sprint into every challenge.

Gundogan was impressive in 12/13. It's nearly 5 seasons ago. He's now injury prone that cannot be relied upon. There's no indication that he could get the form of 12/13.

Hypocrisy - 'the practice of claiming to have higher standards'. Arsenal have spent huge money on their spine yet are worse defensively than City. Perhaps you could have mentioned that when criticising City?

When did I claim to have higher standards?

You're just deflecting rather than dealing with the criticism.

Unlike the earlier poster who threw Mangala into calculations, eh?

Which one? The post El Magico quoted was the below one, where did it talk about Mangala? It clearly talks about 200 Million spent this window.

Walker and Mendy for 50m each... Well at least they're addressing their problem positions but ffs the costs for any player these days are insane. They still have shit center backs though and basically nothing when it comes to holding midfielders. But their attack will be very hard to stop, even if they don't sign Sanchez.

Edit: They'll have spent almost 200m on Ederson, Bernardo Silva, Mendy and Walker if those 2 deals go through :eek:

Arsenal's spending over the years in no way begins to compare to City's. Also I've no idea why someone would need to constantly bring up their own team when critiquing another.

Why do people here not seem to rate Walker? He was the best RB in the league last season and one of the better fullbacks in the world. I'd absolutely have him at United, even more so than Mendy. Agreed that the fee is a bit mental but the Sheikhs have unlimited money.

Don't understand the interest for Walker. Is he good enough technically? Guardiola doesn't need an actual RB, he needs a wide midfielder, like dani alves, a player with great IQ and technical skill with the pace and legs to cover the flank.

I don't think you need great 'IQ' to play as a wing back for Pep. Walker has the physical attributes and had the most assists for a defender in the PL last season.

If there's any truth to that SSN report tonight then I'm very worried. City are going to have an almost unstoppable team this year, even if it did cost hundreds of millions to finish assembling during the current transfer window.

It doesn't look like we can even come close to competing with them. :(

Just another £200-300m now and Pep can fully show his genious and how easily he conquers the PL.

If there's any truth to that SSN report tonight then I'm very worried. City are going to have an almost unstoppable team this year, even if it did cost hundreds of millions to finish assembling during the current transfer window.

I'm sorry but that's a load of crap IMO. No team is unstoppable, certainly not City.

You have a very apt username.

Don't understand the interest for Walker. Is he good enough technically? Guardiola doesn't need an actual RB, he needs a wide midfielder, like dani alves, a player with great IQ and technical skill with the pace and legs to cover the flank.
He reminds me a bit of Valencia; physically fantastic with endless stamina levels, improved a lot defensively, but is very wasteful in the final third. He isn't perfect in the way Alves would be but he's a damn sight better than what they're used to. Him and Mendy bombing forward every game would add a lot to their attack.

He reminds me a bit of Valencia; physically fantastic with endless stamina levels, improved a lot defensively, but is very wasteful in the final third. He isn't perfect in the way Alves would be but he's a damn sight better than what they're used to. Him and Mendy bombing forward every game would add a lot to their attack.
Their problem isn't their attack. It will be interesting to see how City do next season. If Pep really has learnt his lesson and comes up with a new way to play but these signings suggest stubbornness.

Their problem isn't their attack. It will be interesting to see how City do next season. If Pep really has learnt his lesson and comes up with a new way to play but these signings suggest stubbornness.
Their problem will always be their defence. Guardiola even admitted something like that last season about how his system is actually adverse to defenders. Still... Mendy and Walker are still defensively stronger than Kolarov/Clichy and Sagna.

Yeah might as well pack up and leave. Invincible Pep and City will dominate the world (maybe the universe too, who knows?). Quadruple over quadruple guaranteed pretty much every year from now. I think we might as well just give them all the trophies, why even bother with football?

On a serious note though, the amount of money being spent by Pep is insane. Surely he will be expected to win a major trophy this season. Anything else would be a failure on his part. Unless they upgrade their defence, they'll still have the same weakness as last season. The board have pretty much delivered everything he wanted and it'll be interesting to see what City do next season.

He shouldn't get any plaudits if they do win silverware this season, but you know he will. Can do no wrong.

So what you're saying is that City is the level we should aspire to?

To everyone calling Pep a chequebook manager, err have you guys forgotten what Jose spent last year and what he'll be spending this year? They're both chequebook managers at their current clubs, doesn't surprise me though because these two are born winners who care more about winning than anything else.

People kept telling me for years, "Pep doesn't need to spend lots of money like Jose, he knows how to build teams" and I kept telling them, thats only the case because he inherited a Barcelona team with a group of 'once in a generation' players, then moved to a Bayern team who dominate their league and buy their rivals best players.

Now Peps in the Premiership, a much more competitive league, we can see what he is really made of. It turns out what been saying is true, he is no different and he needs to spend big money to compete. City were the biggest spenders last summer and could do it again this year. £53m for Walker. £50m for Stones.

This myth that Pep is some sort of higher level, unbelievably talented manager is nonsense and the longer he stays in the Prem, the more this nonsense will be exposed

He shouldn't get any plaudits if they do win silverware this season, but you know he will. Can do no wrong.

He plays a brand of football that makes players want to play for him, see Sanchez. The transfer fee is not his problem, he wants the players that suit his style of play. He deserves admiration if he does win PL or CL next season. Although he would massively underachieve if with multiple transfer windows of being the highest spending team in England he still can't deliver trophies. He would rightly be criticized for it.

To everyone calling Pep a chequebook manager, err have you guys forgotten what Jose spent last year and what he'll be spending this year? They're both chequebook managers at their current clubs, doesn't surprise me though because these two are born winners who care more about winning than anything else.
You are missing the point. Jose Mourinho is always criticised as a checkbook manager, while Pep is looked at as a manager who develops players. Fact is, he is also no better than Jose in this regard, yet gets away without any criticism. At least the players Jose has signed have all been very good (judging from last season), while Pep has bought the likes of Stones and Bravo for big money.

Guardiola makes me sick to my stomach. Thinks he's the greatest manager ever when he's had nothing but deep pockets to work with wherever he's went. And it definitely helps the 3 leagues he's been part of he's been/picked teams that don't have any real financial restrictions.

Easily got away with it in Spain and Germany but not such a walk in the park in England. Fwiw I'm not a blind homer by any means and understand the top quality teams in those other 2 leagues are considerably superior to the top teams in the EPL but the difference lies after that top tier. Generally light years easier to walk through mid/bottom tier clubs in La Liga+Bundesliga compared to the EPL and I'm glad this farce of a manager came to England to expose himself. Not so easy to be able to get your way like you have in clubs/leagues past.

..his stubbornness to get x player regardless of the consequence ruins football. £50M plus add ons for Walker? Get the feck out of here! Absolutely insane. Still won't be as easy as he thinks to win the league and still doubt they do.

This has literally been said about City every season for the past half a decade now.

My early season prediction is that they will be the team to beat. Their forward line is frightening, and if Pep shores up the defence (buying Mendy + Walker) then I can't see many teams coming close.

Having said that, it would be the most City thing ever if they started like a house on fire and then slowly faded away.

This has literally been said about City every season for the past half a decade now.
Yeah, my prediction is that they'll start strong and fall off around February/March time, they have a good team but so do most of the top 6.

Semedo off for 30m euros rising to 35, and City are waiting on Walker for £50m. Such is the EPL.

Semedo off for 30m euros rising to 35, and City are waiting on Walker for £50m. Such is the EPL.

Walker is class. Players like him will improve city massively. If I were Pep with a choice of those two I know who I'd pick, even at £20 million more.

If the keeper they've signed is decent - which remains to be seen, they're s centre half and left back away from having the best squad in the league.

£50 million is mad for a full back but that's the game now.

And full backs aren't one dimensional any more. The best ones offer a team a new dimension in the modern game.

If I weren't lazy I'd find posts about City from last summer.

Anyway look and behold at Pep's football genius. Football revolutionary, football bohemian. A man who has changed the football forever.