Manager draft

Did I make such a comment? Ffs, I can't even remember.

He doesn't get to play Breitnigge though, right? Breitner retired in the summer of '83, when Lattek returned for his 2nd spell. He never managed the midfielder Breitner, only the young leftback.

Does not matter. Brietner proved elsewhere that he had talent to play as CM :wenger:

Does not matter. Brietner proved elsewhere that he had talent to play as CM :wenger:
Don't be like that. You should be happy that you have a few years of Neeskens under Michels at Barcelona, or else you'd have to play Neeskens at rightback ;).

Did I make such a comment? Ffs, I can't even remember.

He doesn't get to play Breitnigge though, right? Breitner retired in the summer of '83, when Lattek returned for his 2nd spell. He never managed the midfielder Breitner, only the young leftback.
Yeah I guess thats true. Still, a man can dream.

Isn't @sajeev the assistant manager of MJJ? Perhaps he can make his pick?

Will anyone here be hanging around for a while, need someone whom I can leave my pick with.

Any excuse to post this:

I was with (Bobby) Charlton, (Denis) Law and Puskás, we were coaching in a football academy in Australia. The youngsters we were coaching did not respect him including making fun of his weight and age...We decided to let the guys challenge a coach to hit the crossbar 10 times in a row, obviously they picked the old fat one. Law asked the kids how many they thought the old fat coach would get out of ten. Most said less than five. The old fat coach stepped up and hit nine in a row. For the tenth shot he scooped the ball in the air, bounced it off both shoulders and his head, then flicked it over with his heel and cannoned the ball off the crossbar on the volley. They all stood in silence then one kid asked who he was, I replied, "To you, his name is Mr. Puskás".

- George Best

I just found the picture that goes with this.

ZKx1nyP.jpg

He said (as draftmaster), that uncontested picks can already be added to the squads as last picks. Basically, as far as he knows, no one other than him can pick Romario, so he added him as number 13. If he made a mistake and someone else actually can, he misses out on him, if the other manager picks the player before it's time for his 13th pick.

Or in short, he got bored yesterday and wanted to write something :lol:.

:lol: :lol:

01. Harms:- Giovanni Trapattoni - 1. Platini 2. Scirea 3. Boniek 4. Bergomi
02. AngeloHenriquez/Stobzilla:- Fabio Cappello - 1. F. Baresi 2. Gullit 3. Van Basten 4. Hierro
03. Jayvin:- Carlo Ancelotti - 1. Davids 2. Kaka 3. Cannavaro 4. Shevchenko
04. Paolo Di Canio:- Louis Van Gaal - 1. Rijkaard 2. Rivaldo 3. Guardiola 4. Ribéry
05. Skizzo:- Udo Lattek - 1. Maradona 2. G. Müller 3. Breitner 4. Rummenigge
06. MJJ:- Marcello Lippi - 1. R. Baggio 2. Thuram 3. Del Piero 4. Vieri
07. Joga Bonito:- Udo Lattek - 1. Beckenbauer 2. Schuster 3. Vogts 4. Brehme
08. Balu/PedroMendez:- Béla Guttmann - 1. Bozsik 2. Puskás 3. C. Maldini 4.
09. Raees:- Vicente Del Bosque - 1. Ronaldo 2. Figo 3. M. Laudrup 4.
10. Cutch:- Alex Ferguson - 1. Beckham 2. Stam 3. Van Nistelrooy 4.
11. Gio:- Giovanni Trapattoni - 1. Matthäus 2. Batistuta 3. Tardelli 4.
12. Edgar Allan Pillow:- Fabio Capello - 1. P. Maldini 2. Nedved 3. Redondo 4.
13. The Red Viper:- Pep Guardiola - 1. Lahm 2. Robben 3. Puyol 4.
14. DanNistelrooy:- Carlo Ancelotti - 1. C. Ronaldo 2. Nesta 3. Pirlo 4.
15. Annahnomoss:- Vanderlei Luxemburgo - 1. Zidane 2. Cafu 3. R. Carlos 4. 13. Romario
16. Crappycraperson:- Rinus Michels - 1. Migueli 2. Cruyff 3. Neeskens 4.

In autumn 1956 Guttmann's former club Kispesti AC, now called Honvéd Budapest, played in the European Cup away at Athletic Bilbao, when the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 began. The players refused to go back to their home country and therefore the return leg was played in Heysel stadium in Brussels. After a 2-3 away loss, the return leg ended 3-3 (Honvéd's goalkeeper got injured early in the game and Czibor played in goal for most of the game, because subs weren't allowed yet) and the Honvéd team was out of the competition. Most of the players arranged for their families to leave Hungary as well and with nowhere to go and nowhere to live, Béla Guttmann returned to them as their manager, organised games all around Europe to earn money for the players. They went together on a trip to Southamerica and played a tournament in Rio de Janeiro. After that, Guttmann decided to stay in Brazil, a few of the players returned to Hungary but most of them found a home at one of the big European clubs.

We know it could lead to a bit of controversy if those months of Guttmann managing that team again should count in this fantasy draft or not. They never played a competitive game, but they earned their living as football players in the same team with Guttmann coaching them. We'd love to have more of those players in the team, but the only one we're going to pick is one of the first sweeper keepers of the game, a goalkeeper way ahead of his time:

z15001085Q,W-akcji-wegierski-bramkarz-Gyula-Grosics--W-tle-wi.jpg

Gyula Grosics

Grosics is probably the player of the golden Hungarian generation, who suffered the most through the communist authorities. Shortly after the World Cup he was suspected of treason and spying, arrested and repeatedly questioned and then put under house arrest for more than a year. He was forced to play for the small club Tatabanya. He joined his old Honvéd team again in '56, but went back to Tatabanya, when the exile-team fell apart after their trip to Southamerica. He also returned into the nationalteam and at the World Cup '62 he was the only remaining player from the golden team of '54. He retired after the World Cup and the Tatabanya football stadium was later named after him.

We hope that's okay, if not please let us now. It's @Annahnomoss call if this team counts or not. We wanted to include this story about Guttmann helping the players when they were in exile and after all, it's only the goalkeeper, no one cares about them anyway, right ;).

02. AngeloHenriquez/Stobzilla:- Fabio Cappello - 1. F. Baresi 2. Gullit 3. Van Basten 4. Hierro
04. Paolo Di Canio:- Louis Van Gaal - 1. Rijkaard 2. Rivaldo 3. Guardiola 4. Ribéry
08. Balu/PedroMendez:- Béla Guttmann - 1. Bozsik 2. Puskás 3. C. Maldini 4. Grosics
09. Raees:- Vicente Del Bosque - 1. Ronaldo 2. Figo 3. M. Laudrup 4.
15. Annahnomoss:- Vanderlei Luxemburgo - 1. Zidane 2. Cafu 3. R. Carlos 4. 13. Romario

@Raees

Balu, i sincerily hope you are not neglecting Mário Coluna from that Bella Guttman line up. It was only his favourite captain and the driving force of his teams that won the European cup twice. People just remember Eusébio from that generation but he was one of the best portuguese midfielders ever.

Balu, i sincerily hope you are not neglecting xxxxx from that Bella Guttman line up. It was only his favourite captain and the driving force of his teams that won the European cup twice. People just remember xxxx from that generation but he was one of the best portuguese midfielders ever.

Dude, you are not supposed to name unpicked players. It may not matter much in this particular theme, but as a general rule, don't do it!

Balu, i sincerily hope you are not neglecting Mário Coluna from that Bella Guttman line up. It was only his favourite captain and the driving force of his teams that won the European cup twice. People just remember Eusébio from that generation but he was one of the best portuguese midfielders ever.
Of course not. I left Schiaffino in Milan to have room for Coluna in the team ;). But we're only in 1956, 3 more years till Guttmann goes to Benfica.

We hope that's okay, if not please let us now. It's @Annahnomoss call if this team counts or not. We wanted to include this story about Guttmann helping the players when they were in exile and after all, it's only the goalkeeper, no one cares about them anyway, right ;).

I think it should count - without a shade of doubt, actually. The tour is the stuff of legends - doesn't matter if the matches were friendlies.

Of course not. I left Schiaffino in Milan to have room for Coluna in the team ;). But we're only in 1956, 3 more years till Guttmann goes to Benfica ;).

*mental note never underestimate Balu's football knowledge again :lol:

Dude, you are not supposed to name unpicked players. It may not matter much in this particular theme, but as a general rule, don't do it!

Sry mate. Missed this draft, gonna see if i enter the next. Very interesting

*mental note never underestimate Balu's football knowledge again :lol:
:lol: . To be fair, my knowledge about Portuguese football in the 50's and 60's starts and ends with that Benfica side. I've no clue if any player from Guttmann's Porto side in 58/59 is worth looking into for example, but Coluna was a no-brainer from the start. Regarding that Benfica side, how highly do you rate José Augusto? I considered him to play on the right wing in my team, but decided to go with someone else. Still not entirely sure, if it's the right call.

:lol: . To be fair, my knowledge about Portuguese football in the 50's and 60's starts and ends with that Benfica side. I've no clue if any player from Guttmann's Porto side in 58/59 is worth looking into for example, but Coluna was a no-brainer from the start. Regarding that Benfica side, how highly do you rate José Augusto? I considered him to play on the right wing in my team, but decided to go with someone else. Still not entirely sure, if it's the right call.

I´d rate him as the third best player in that Benfica team after Eusébio and Coluna. José Augusto was an excellent right winger, very good technically, pinpoint crosser and also a dangerous player in what concerns set pieces (he had a penchant for scoring headers). His numbers were very good for a winger. Scored 174 goals in 369 games. Played in 5!!! European cup finals and was a totalist in the two victorious campaigns with 11 goals. This was during Bella Guttman´s reign. With Otto Gloria, he was also very good in the 1966 world cup where Portugal reached the semi´s and scored 3 goals. He was a very productive player. I´ll be curious to see who you picked. Although i´m a Sporting fan, i can´t deny the quality of that Benfica team with Germano, Simões, José Águas, Cavém etc

Thanks, maybe I reconsider.

Was reading all the pages and it´s hard to pick players. There are so many good choices, that it´s an injustice to leave some behind. But you can´t pick them all. The problem with that Benfica team is that alot of good players don´t get the recognition they deserve because of Eusébio´s reputation. José Augusto was the first winger to have (what we call nowadays) Cristiano Ronaldo numbers. Under Bella Guttman, in one year, he scored 24 goals in 25 matches in the portuguese league. He was a machine.

08. Balu/PedroMendez:- Béla Guttmann - 1. Bozsik 2. Puskás 3. C. Maldini 4. Grosics
09. Raees:- Vicente Del Bosque - 1. Ronaldo 2. Figo 3. M. Laudrup 4. C. Seedorf

@Raees

@Cutch

:lol:

We'll take Jurgen

juergen-kohler.jpg

10. Cutch:- Alex Ferguson - 1. Beckham 2. Stam 3. Van Nistelrooy 4. Cantona
11. Gio:- Giovanni Trapattoni - 1. Matthäus 2. Batistuta 3. Tardelli 4. Kohler

@Edgar Allan Pillow

10. Cutch:- Alex Ferguson - 1. Beckham 2. Stam 3. Van Nistelrooy 4. Cantona
11. Gio:- Giovanni Trapattoni - 1. Matthäus 2. Batistuta 3. Tardelli 4. Kohler
12. Edgar Allan Pillow:- Fabio Capello - 1. P. Maldini 2. Nedved 3. Redondo 4. Desailly

@The Red Viper