Maguire | he stays!

35-40M is fair for England's starting CB. I think that covers whatever payments we have to make to Maguire to make him accept the lower deal West Ham will throw at him. (90k p/w for 2 more years = 10M or so).

Just checked a west ham forum to see how they are feeling about it and they are absolutely gutted.

They really want McTominay tbf.

They are stupid, he's a fine defender. He'll shine for them when he's out of the spotlight a bit and he isn't asked to carry / pass the ball under pressure. The midblock Moyes plays will also suit him very well.

McTominay, Soucek, Maguire, Zouma at corners with Antonio pushing everyone aside.

JWP delivering them, but with Alvarez and Fullkrug (or Broja) taking Soucek and Antonio's places.

35-40M is fair for England's starting CB.

They are stupid, he's a fine defender. He'll shine for them when he's out of the spotlight a bit and he isn't asked to carry / pass the ball under pressure. The midblock Moyes plays will also suit him very well.
I wouldn't say they're stupid to be concerned about Maguire for that fee.

It doesn't paint the best picture of the style of play and progression of the club going forward to be going for an aging centre back in terrible form that can only sit deep.

I think they've every right to be concerned with the manner of their window and stumping up that much at the end of it on Harry. Panic stations.

Personally think he might do okay under Moyes style but I can totally see why as a fanbase it would not be setting too many pulses racing. Would probably prefer to see some better planning.

Reckon this will get done around 33-35 million. Both sides claim a negotiating victory.

Won't raise their bid, but hope to get it done. How does that work? Unless United go back and say "yeah, alright then" on a bid that they've rejected.

We don't need 8 players for 3 positions.

Two of those in Mainoo and Mejbri are kids whilst Amrabat would be coming to a new league in a different country, Eriksen’s legs have gone and Casemiro is 31-32 so needs to be used right so we do need 8 people for 3 positions when you think about potentially 60+ games and injuries.

I don’t see McTominay as being good enough to start BUT as a squad player in a box to box role rather than a Casemiro back up he’s a good option to have, he’s much better when allowed to burst forward rather than a defensive role as positionally he’s awful and hides but further up the pitch he’s decent.

Won't raise their bid, but hope to get it done. How does that work? Unless United go back and say "yeah, alright then" on a bid that they've rejected.

The article states they are going to try and bridge the gap on his wages so that would make sense. I believe our reluctance to accept 30M was based on us having to pay up a certain amount of his salary to make the move happen, if we no longer need to do that or at least the amount we are making up is reduced by a few million then the 30M fee becomes more palatable.

The article states they are going to try and bridge the gap on his wages so that would make sense. I believe our reluctance to accept 30M was based on us having to pay up a certain amount of his salary to make the move happen, if we no longer need to do that or at least the amount we are making up is reduced by a few million then the 30M fee becomes more palatable.

Right, makes sense. Forgot to factor in his wages in all of this.

I'd honestly take £30m anyway. That was my opinion yesterday when they initially came in with that bid. We need to get this moving.

Some of the posts here are embarassing on our outgoing offers. You want the club to build a spine and negotiate hard in transfers but at the same time asking the club to jump at the first offer they get. Maguire is an England international regular and just because he is not first choice at Manutd doesn't make him a bad defender at all levels of the league.

We should negotiate but have to recognise that we will be lucky to have any clubs match or better what we’ve already received from West Ham.

Talk of Mctominay costing 40m might not be ridiculous when looking at other fees but how many teams have that kind of money and will regard him as a guaranteed starter or suited to their system etc. I’d say probably no other team in the league so it’s finding a balance between getting a better deal but also making sure the deal doesn’t fall apart.

30m plus a bigger portion of his wages is absolutely fine, the club needs not to mess this up.

30M is fine if we don't have to subsidize his wages. If we receive 30M and we have to pay him 90k p/w for two years then it's not worth it. Just let him see out his contract as 4th choice CB, you could do worse than Maguire for that spot and the same amount of money.

Watch us get 30+5 for Maguire and 30+10 for Scott, and the media still report it as 60m

30M is fine if we don't have to subsidize his wages. If we receive 30M and we have to pay him 90k p/w for two years then it's not worth it. Just let him see out his contract as 4th choice CB, you could do worse than Maguire for that spot and the same amount of money.
No, just no mate.

How long is actually left on his contract? Club would be thick to not accept the 30m cos next year playing no games and in the last 12 months he probably fetches 10/15m

Call me stupid but if we just lost the best player we produced in over 15 years and dithered around all summer before spending the better part of £40m on an out of form 30 year old centre back, I wouldn't be best pleased either.

liverpool supporter by any chance?

Watch us get 30+5 for Maguire and 30+10 for Scott, and the media still report it as 60m
Surely insinuating that United are paying all their wages for the duration of the contract, even beyond their original deal with us.

West Ham fans will rightly be doing the united fan speciality wondering why they’re signing the old reject and not the guy the selling club are replacing him with
Assuming we’re signing Amrabat and Todibo to replace Maguire and McT, pretty clear that we’re signing backup players while West Ham are signing for their first team. Signing Amrabat or Todibo would be very risky to them and may turn out to be extremely bad investment. We could stomach the risk because they’re back-up for the time being.

Assuming we’re signing Amrabat and Todibo to replace Maguire and McT, pretty clear that we’re signing backup players while West Ham are signing for their first team. Signing Amrabat or Todibo would be very risky to them and may turn out to be extremely bad investment. We could stomach the risk because they’re back-up for the time being.
Amrabat a risk for them as a starter? Or even Todibo? Come on. There is a big difference in quality standards between a club that wants to challenge for the title and a club who was fighting relegation last season. And who is fighting for survival this upcoming season after losing their 1 elite player. Maguire is a good player for England. He would be a good player for many teams in the league. He isn't a top player for clubs in the top 7. That's all there is. Doesn't mean he wouldn't be an excellent CB for any of the others.

Two of those in Mainoo and Mejbri are kids whilst Amrabat would be coming to a new league in a different country, Eriksen’s legs have gone and Casemiro is 31-32 so needs to be used right so we do need 8 people for 3 positions when you think about potentially 60+ games and injuries.

I don’t see McTominay as being good enough to start BUT as a squad player in a box to box role rather than a Casemiro back up he’s a good option to have, he’s much better when allowed to burst forward rather than a defensive role as positionally he’s awful and hides but further up the pitch he’s decent.
I hear you, but still think it's too many. Players needs to be close to the team and fight for a spot - if there's too many before them then they lose their fight. We have a starting 3 in Case, Mount and Bruno the 3 to challenge them, an extra 2 would lose hope to get in. Imo.