Maguire | he stays!

cyberman

Depends all on how it is split and it makes sense of it is £30mil each.

I think us saying we value Maguire at £40mil is posturing. I think we need to clear just under £30mil in order for the FFP figure to basically be neutral.

Then McTominay is straight FFP profit.
Wouldn’t 20m for Maguire and 40m for Scott do wonders for us in a ffp sense?

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Accept the damn bid for Maguire at least, please don't reject this one.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Those journalists aren't exactly helping us in the negotiations.

Andy_Cole

On one hand we shouldn’t be greedy and we should take it. The other hand let’s rip them off. Moyes wants the pair, they have £105m unspent. No other targets it seems. Let’s screw them like people screw us.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
On one hand we shouldn’t be greedy and we should take it. The other hand let’s rip them off. Moyes wants the pair, they have £105m unspent. No other targets it seems. Let’s screw them like people screw us.
Difference is they’ll walk away and we still end up with average players.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Tbh I'm really torn between. On one hand I really want us to get more money. On the other hand I'm really worry what if they think we got too greedy ...
The fact we’re all terrified of West Ham pulling out if we counter offer is exactly why this bid should be accepted ASAP.

Superunknown

I do like McTominay but it makes sense for us to move him on. He's never going to be what we need as a starting midfielder, so he's a backup option. I'm not sure he's the backup option we need either. It would good for him to move on to get some game in, as he'll start every week for West Ham. We're never going to get a better price for him and his value will just diminish. So it's a case of either ensuring that he's a good enough backup option, or cash in on him. I'm thinking the latter makes too much sense to not pursue this deal.

Roboc7

Difference is they’ll walk away and we still end up with average players.
Yeah no one else will offer anything close to 30m for either of them. I’d take the 30m for Maguire maybe try and haggle 5m extra for Mctominay.

But club have to be aware that market for both players is extremely small and ultimately we need them gone to bring others in.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
And buy who exactly? As you can see, they are sitting on Rice money but not exactly finding it easy. Alvarez is still not done and season is starting in 4 days.

They just can't afford to get this wrong. Quite sure they will meet the price for atleast one of Maguire or Scott.
Alvarez is done mate, I've been told as much by the youth coach I speak to on occasion.

I also think it's quite likely at least one of those will end up here, it's helpful for the homegrown if nothing else.

Plus whilst I question Maguire, I do think he'd be a solid signing and shore us up, and I we are lacking leadership figures as well at the moment, I can see why Moyes I'd appealed,even if I still think 30m is too high for the age and gaffe prone nature of Maguire, personally.

GreatDane

It's € when we're buying and £ when selling, always has to look as bad as possible.

DevilRed

Alvarez is done mate, I've been told as much by the youth coach I speak to on occasion.

I also think it's quite likely at least one of those will end up here, it's helpful for the homegrown if nothing else.

Plus whilst I question Maguire, I do think he'd be a solid signing and shore us up, and I we are lacking leadership figures as well at the moment, I can see why Moyes I'd appealed,even if I still think 30m is too high for the age and gaffe prone nature of Maguire, personally.
He's not gaffe prone if you play a deep line.

You've effectively strengthened your spine and improved your team significantly with Alvarez, McT and Maguire.

OrcaFat

I'd say that's a massive, massive overstatement. McTominay in a midtable/bottom half team will shock you if you think that.
It’s a slight overstatement. He is better though.

McT will shock me if he’s anything better than what he’s been for us. I have said in this thread that he’ll be good for Hammers but he won’t magically become a better player. He will be able to get into their team which is a start but it is harder to play well in a mid or lower table team, not easier.

Levi1

Seems like things are finally beginning to ramp up here. We're 4 days before the league starts and finally Dithering Dave putting in a bid. Ha!

Its all gone Shane Long

Fair deal and with McTommy I’d say £60 is about right but with that £105million WHU got, see if they can be cheeky and get another 5mill, covers the Amrabat deal and possibly a another CD. Great bit of business

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Maguire will be class for you. Suits Moyes football perfectly. Less convinced by Mctominay unless the idea is he plays ahead of a 6 with freedom to get into the box. He isn’t a 6 and shouldn’t be played there.

strandty

I doubt this is true, but do they really expect Utd to pay half of his wages if he moves?

It’s the player who holds the cards in that situation. He will be saying “I’m X per week out of pocket so unless you cover the difference I’m not moving”.

He’s under no contractual pressure to leave so it’s OUR benefit for him to leave, not his. Plus he will receive a sign on bonus split over the length of the contract when he signed no doubt that he will say he’s entitled to.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I doubt this is true, but do they really expect Utd to pay half of his wages if he moves?

That’s exactly how it works for transfers when a player is moving down the ladder rather than up.

United are basically getting a fee to cover FFP and using some of that fee to clear his contract.

Maguire won’t miss out financially.

United get a fee which covers FFP. United also save £100k / week on the contract we agreed with Maguire which equates to about £11m saved.

It’s why we bad at selling. The only players we let leave are ones that are in this situation.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Maguire will do well with West Ham. Hope it goes through for everyone’s sake.

cyberman

feck FFP lad.

It would get us in the conversation for Kane. Assuming we can also get an extra 30m or so from Fred, Donny and Bailly.
Yeah but say it’s 30m for Scott. That allows us to spend 150m on a player spread over 5 years.
That’s why it would be a huge advantage for us surely?

Strelok

Tbf imo 100k a week is what we should have offered him back then. He was on like 45k a week at Leicester. To this day I still have no idea why the feck we offered him that contract.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Ideally we’d get closer to 70-75 for the pair of them, but if we can re-invest in a midfielder and a center back, I hope the club accepts 60.

scottser

You’ve never feed a dog a treat and they’ve accidentally nipped your finger in the process? You must have encountered some very well mannered dogs. Anyway, You’re taking the biting the hand off part too literal. Don’t deep it that much, it’s just a saying. :lol:
You don't offer a dog anything between your fingers, especially over their head as they will jump and snap. Instead, hold it in the flat of your hand and offer it to them from underneath their nose.
You're welcome.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Tbf imo 100k a week is what we should have offered him back then. He was on like 45k a week at Leicester. To this day I still have no idea why the feck we offered him that contract.
He was purchased for £80m, he was always going to get a big contract.

ManRed

“We can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of,” - Woodward

Red4Life_#7

35m + 5m add ons for Maguire and 40m + 5-8m add ons is fair for McT. Sorry they have 105m sitting in the bank gaining interest, they can afford it. Markets get inflated when the seller knows the buyers has the money in the bank. Cough up Hammers!!

DevilRed

Yeah but say it’s 30m for Scott. That allows us to spend 150m on a player spread over 5 years.
That’s why it would be a huge advantage for us surely?
It would be huge.

But I don't think FFP has ever been a real issue.

We've also got the sale of Fred, Donny, Bailly, Deano not accounted for yet. All are expected to leave. Telles and DDG are gone too along with a few academy lads. Don't quote me but I think we'd be well clear to buy a player for 100m or so this summer alone.

I'd say if we got close to 90m from sales this summer, we might...just might...be able to put in a bid for Kane that won't have us laughed at by levy.

I find it hilarious that its the gooners who have inadvertently supercharged our rebuild process. If it wasn't for moyes, I doubt anybody would be in for Maguire or McT.

Strelok

He was purchased for £80m, he was always going to get a big contract.
I don't get that logic either. Surely we bought him for 80m but do you think he would have said no if we offered him 100k a week?