Maguire | he stays!

croadyman

Another game, another instance of Maguire chaotic play. He is completely overmatched under high press and is mistake-prone. Above all, he fits in this system like a square peg fits into a round hole.

We need to go back to West Ham and revive this negotiation. For everybody’s sake, Maguire needs a new start somewhere else.
Yeah negotiate a price which suits both parties

windycityfan

Should've accepted WH's offer.
After last night, that much has become clear. We’re caught in a situation where we may be trying to justify the cost that took to acquire him, so we clearly overrate him. He’s not good, and not a good fit for this system.

He needs to move away from United too. His weaknesses will continue to be under the spotlight of playing in this club, and is another blunder away from completely botching his footballing mentality.

We should cut our losses and move on. Nothing good will come out of this.

croadyman

After last night, that much has become clear. We’re caught in a situation where we may be trying to justify the cost that took to acquire him, so we clearly overrate him. He’s not good, and not a good fit for this system.

He needs to move away from United too. His weaknesses will continue to be under the spotlight of playing in this club, and is another blunder away from completely botching his footballing mentality.

We should cut our losses and move on. Nothing good will come out of this.
Yeah the cost of what we paid for him is definitely hurting us now in terms of selling

croadyman

Varane missing again last night and Lindelof not covering himself in glory with the gifted goal. Easy to see why he would consider staying.
Should get Pavard to partner Licha IF there is concern about Varane's fitness. He can also offer something at RB as well which is valuable

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I don't think its a IF, concerning Varane fitness. He's been prone to pick up niggles since he's signed.

If signing a CB isn't a must this summer, then it sure is next year.

croadyman

I don't think its a IF, concerning Varane fitness. He's been prone to pick up niggles since he's signed.

Oh yeah next summer it's top priority,would you take Pavard if opportunity was there or prefer us to scout for another year

Ace of Spades

I don't want to be too harsh, but both Maguire and Lindelof were poor. Think both need replacing, being proactive to look for Varane's replacement would be a good move.

croadyman

I don't want to be too harsh, but both Maguire and Lindelof were poor. Think both need replacing, being proactive to look for Varane's replacement would be a good move.
Clearly Min-Jae was in consideration but it never really got any traction from UK media

wolvored

Will this new Adidas deal mean we can spend more after Amrabat? If so I bet TH will probably look at a young(ish) CB towards the end of the window and hopefully offloaded a few more players.

croadyman

Maybe even January if opportunity arises,doesn't feel to me like we are going to sign one this summer though

croadyman

Will this new Adidas deal mean we can spend more after Amrabat? If so I bet TH will probably look at a young(ish) CB towards the end of the window and hopefully offloaded a few more players.
Any chance of getting this Gift Orban who has been mentioned on here if that's the case

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah negotiate a price which suits both parties
Let's see if West Ham comes back with another offer. There is still a month left in the transfer window. So far it seems like Maguire is not interested in joining West Ham and wants to stay to fight for his place.

croadyman

Let's see if West Ham comes back with another offer. There is still a month left in the transfer window. So far it seems like Maguire is not interested in joining West Ham and wants to stay to fight for his place.
£25m plus £5m in addons hopefully

wolvored

Any chance of getting this Gift Orban who has been mentioned on here if that's the case
I dont know a lot about him tbh, but if hes a good un and within the budget then why not?
Why cant we at least try and find a Caicedo for example at a bargain price and take a punt after the main business.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
£25m plus £5m in addons hopefully
For his own good I hope he can get regular football somewhere else, and get a fair compensation as well. Sometimes things just don't work out and it is better to move on for both parties.

croadyman

For his own good I hope he can get regular football somewhere else, and get a fair compensation as well. Sometimes things just don't work out and it is better to move on for both parties.
Southgate needs to threaten England place

Yakuza_devils

I know Maguire is not very good but we need more than 20M to find a decent replacement. He is very useful when we need to defend deep to hold the lead or play a certain style against top team. Martinez was usually sub out because of his height defending deep.

Note also that both Lindelof and Varane are injury prone. I rather keep him as I don't think the 20M is going to help us.

croadyman

I dont know a lot about him tbh, but if hes a good un and within the budget then why not?
Why cant we at least try and find a Caicedo for example at a bargain price and take a punt after the main business.
Caicedo won't be a bargain price,if he was then would already be wearing Chelsea shirt

croadyman

I know Maguire is not very good but we need more than 20M to find a decent replacement. He is very useful when we need to defend deep to hold the lead or play a certain style against top team. Martinez was usually sub out because of his height defending deep.

Note also that both Lindelof and Varane are injury prone. I rather keep him as I don't think the 20M is going to help us.
His style is the biggest issue in our system

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's been prone to pick up niggles since he's signed.
He was notoriously injury prone before we signed him too.

As far as I'm concerned, we pretty much rolled the dice there if our intention was to sign a reliable, first class, rock at the back type of player.

First class? Sure. Reliable? Hardly. Rock at the back? No, because that implies someone you can pretty much always count on, not someone you can pretty much always count on whenever they're actually fit to play.

Stadjer

His style is the biggest issue in our system
His lack of quality is his main issue. He was already getting exposed in Ole his system multiple times. A system that kept him close to his own goal and had Fred + McT in front of the defense.

He just got exposed less often than in 'modern tactics'. When he can stand in his own box and head balls away he does fine but a tricky attacker can fool him even if he just stays in his own box. He isnt agile enough to deal with tricky or agile attackers and clumsy enough to foul and give away a penalty. Or atleast scare fans into thinking of the possibility that VAR will look at his defensive action.

Maguire is very slow and he isnt smart enough in his positioning to compensate for that. He also isnt great at positioning and too slow to compensate for that. Maguire also keeps the ball for way too long and is also very capable of bringing his teammates in trouble with his passing (pass to Eriksen last night for example). He also likes to lunge into high risk tackles which completly takes him out of play if he misses. Then sometimes there is his lack of concentration which allows situations like Giroud his goal in the World Cup semi final.

What kind of system does a player with those clear weak points in his game work well in? The best you can hope for is exposed less often i think.

Last edited:

SATA

West Ham can bid all they want but does Harry himself wants to go? It seems like he’s happy to stay and fight for his place and pick up his wages, which I don’t really blame him for

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
West Ham can bid all they want but does Harry himself wants to go? It seems like he’s happy to stay and fight for his place and pick up his wages, which I don’t really blame him for
We don't want him to go enough, because if we did, we'd offer to cover the deficit on his wages and let West Ham get him for cheap. We made the stupid decision to offer a contract, why expect him to shaft himself for our benefit?

Alemar

Moyes should be firm and push hard to make it happen. A potential cornerstone of WHU for years to come

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I rather keep him as I don't think the 20M is going to help us.
Probably not, as people are now clearly exaggerating how useless Maguire is per default and how easy it would be to replace him as a useful squad player.

This is all theory, though. In theory Maguire could be a very useful backup/squad player (because he's actually not a horribly bad player per default).

But in reality he's not an ETH player and he most likely thinks it beneath him to be a sheer backup (what? 4th choice?).

Common sense says: get rid even if it means taking a hit financially (e.g. we lower the transfer fee in order to accommodate a buying club that understandably ain't keen on matching his overblown salary).