6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge difference between the threat Young was offering on the right, compared to Shaw on the left, despite seeing a similar amount of the ball. Decent shot from distance in the first half, otherwise a lack of quality in the final third.

His crossing has always been shite it's never a surprise. Even during his good period at start of LVG's last season he didn't put any decent crosses in it. He's the left back version of Valencia, uses his pace to dribble and get into the box to create for his teammates rather than hugging the flank and cross as Young. I think he did well in this regard.

Didn't offer much of a crossing threat but got in a coupole of good goal scoring positions and kept the ball recycling quickly on his flank, another solid building block for him.

Thought he was one of our few positives, offers a great deal to our attacking play and is one of the very few players we have who can change the pace of our play to anything above pedestrian. Mou needs to trust him, though he will probably focus on the couple of aerial balls he did not deal with in the first half.

Decent performance but he is abysmal at crossing, most players aim to get the ball past the first man he aims to hit the first man

Only fault with him is his final ball; should be working on that intensely, because with that element of his game improved, he’d be one of the best in europe.

Danny Rose isn’t much better in that regard, so for me given his age, injuries and fact he’s probably peaked, would be a downgrade on Shaw - the only player worth replacing him with would be Tierney, who looks more competent going forward....but he seems content at Celtic for now so leaving him there and giving Shaw 18 month to improve before making a decision on them would be the best process,

I like him - it'll take a while for him to be fully up to speed, but I think we'd be mad to jettison Shaw for the likes of Rose (I'd be all for bringing in a prospect like Sessegnon, while keeping Shaw.)

Played very well today, lots of energy and solid defensively. Needs a better wide player in front of him or time to develop an understanding with one. Shaw must now start getting more games, seems leftback isn't going to be an issue for us as we've 2 very good options there now.

So overrated on here, his final ball is terrible. Rose is twice the player Shaw is.
Rose will also cost 30-40m and is much older. Shaw is not THAT much worse, yes his crossing needs work but we can improve that. The rest of his game is pretty decent, much better defensively than Darmian.

People are seeing what they want to see.

Poor.

We need a left back. Shaw isn't the answer.

Agreed, that's why you think he was poor.

Good today. has been good since coming back

Aye he was great. A lot of freedom down the left flank, and remind me what came of it?

So overrated on here, his final ball is terrible. Rose is twice the player Shaw is.

What do you expect when Rose is 5 years older than him and hasn’t just came back from an horrific leg break. If you are going to criticise then at least put things into perspective.

If Shaw stays fit for the next 5 years he will be twice the player Rose will ever be.

Not good enough, stop obsessing with age.

Rose is not good enough either for what United want to achieve and where they are aiming to get. What has Rose done in his career to warrant a move to United?

You do know age is relevant here because Rose had had 5 years more time to develop, well 6 if you include Shaw’s injuries.

Shaw was putting all those crosses in because he did not have other options while reaching the opposition's box. No overlapping, no movement from our attackers, no Pogbooms. And to be perfectly honest, I do not really think that we are that good at defendind or attacking set-pieces despite having a team of tall players. Also, Shaw is no Becks and Rom is no Bierhoff.

People are quick to criticise Shaw who has just returned from an awful injury. If he isn’t good enough then neither is any one else in the team because it isn’t all his fault that United have been on a poor run of results. Lets just sell Lukaku for his poor run of barely any goals, same with Rashford and Martial. Hell with it, Jones, Smalling, Lindelof, Rojo should never play as defenders at the club again, not keeping clean sheets, how dare they. Sell Blind, Herrera, Mkhitaryan and Pogba because none of them have been good enough as of late.

Sack Mourinho, Faria, Woodward, all the coaching staff, the kit men and the tea ladies while we are at it.

What do you expect when Rose is 5 years older than him and hasn’t just came back from an horrific leg break. If you are going to criticise then at least put things into perspective
If Shaw stays fit for the next 5 years he will be twice the player Rose will ever be.

No he won't. He is not ever going to be a a top player, ever. He is a terrible crosser.

Rose is not good enough either for what United want to achieve and where they are aiming to get. What has Rose done in his career to warrant a move to United?

You do know age is relevant here because Rose had had 5 years more time to develop, well 6 if you include Shaw’s injuries.

I have watched football for 30 years. I can see a good player a mile off. Shaw is not a Manchester United player, never rated him that highly pre injury. He was mediocre in his first season too.

Last edited:
Decent game. Jose should try keep the same 11 to keep the team momentum going and try to build that team cohesion instead of chopping amd changing all the time although injuries amd suspension did hamper the teams progression. Along with poor form and performances by some.

Honestly felt like I was watching the left back version of Valencia in yesterdays game, crosses kept hitting defenders shins/1st man. Also why the hell was he taking corners?

The injury has taken alot out of him, still feel theres a player in there, just not sure he'll be able to prove himself here under Mourinho.

He was great today. Every single time he was alone on the left flank. How is he to beat every one of the defenders there with no one ahead of him? Rashford had a poor game and failed to make the pitch wider. He was trying to penetrate via the center(Which is his natural instinct as a striker). See our problem?

I keep seeing 'just came back from a horrific injury'

It was over 2 years ago.

I think Luke Shaw can become a good player but you're crazy if you don't think we need a new LB.

I'm happy with the progress since his recovery from injury.

Plenty of energy and stamina to get up and down the flanks, makes runs to open up space, generally plays positive balls and takes players on.

He's not as good as young at the moment, but way ahead of darmian and blind (and sometimes rojo) in that position

Some posters have suggested getting a replacement (rose or Sandro). Bad idea in my view, neither of those targets is an obvious upgrade on Shaw and certainly not on young's current form (e.g. rose's injuries, Sandro inconsistant). Think the money is best invested elsewhere in the team and reasses the left back position in the summer

People are seeing what they want to see.

Poor.

We need a left back. Shaw isn't the answer.

I question whether he'll ever have the end product we need in the final third to be a proper great left back. He's like a quick version of Darmian. Still think we need to go all out for Sandro.

And get him off corners ffs. Phil Jones-esque deliveries.

Teach him how to cross and stay fit and our LB problems are solved. So refreshing to see a FB consistently try and overlap our wingers. Too bad Rashford ignored him half the time and failed to wait for the overlap.

Chuffed for the guy. He is finally showing his talent. Defensive side of his game is already developed, it's his offensive skills that need to be honed. Surprised he he hasn't scored a senior goal so far, has a pretty decent shot on him. The remainder of the season can be the making of him.

Reactions: Penna
For all the praise that he is get getting, I didn't think he was that good yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.