Lukaku Signs | Official

As good as he is, and as good as I believe he has the potential to be, and as much I believe he will be a success with us. I still wouldn't really love to see him with us for longer than 3 years. Even if he scores 30-40 per season. I'd still want to see him move on for a word record fee. ~€150m. For me, he just isn't world class, but even if he does reach the upper echelons of the game -- in terms of success, both personal and with the team -- I wouldn't want to see him stay beyond 3 years. I guess the length of time we hung onto Rooney has really soured me players over staying their welcome.

With that being said, welcome to United Lukaku! Here's to 2/3 (hopefully) remarkably successful seasons.

....what?

So even if he does well and scores 120 goals over the next 3 season you'd want him gone? it will also go hand in hand if he scores between 30-40 goals each season for the next 3 years he will be known as one of the best strikers in the world anyway if you like it or not.

'This fecker is scoring too many goals lets sell him'

Don't see what is so hard to understand. We sold RVN when he was still banging in the goals. Beckham was at his peak, but few regret him leaving. Ronaldo leaving was bitter, but he was following his dream of playing for RM.

Sorry to rain on anybodies parade. I do rate, just don't want to see him as the focal-point for our attack for the next 6-10 seasons.

I'd just like him to come in and do a job for us for a couple of years and move on.

I guess this is a really unpopular opinion.

As good as he is, and as good as I believe he has the potential to be, and as much I believe he will be a success with us. I still wouldn't really love to see him with us for longer than 3 years. Even if he scores 30-40 per season. I'd still want to see him move on for a word record fee. ~€150m. For me, he just isn't world class, but even if he does reach the upper echelons of the game -- in terms of success, both personal and with the team -- I wouldn't want to see him stay beyond 3 years. I guess the length of time we hung onto Rooney has really soured me players over staying their welcome.

With that being said, welcome to United Lukaku! Here's to 2/3 (hopefully) remarkably successful seasons.

This is a strange opinion.

Don't see what is so hard to understand. We sold RVN when he was still banging in the goals. Beckham was at his peak, but few regret him leaving. Ronaldo leaving was bitter, but he was following his dream of playing for RM.

Sorry to rain on anybodies parade. I do rate, just don't want to see him as the focal-point for our attack for the next 6-10 seasons.

I'd just like him to come in and do a job for us for a couple of years and move on.

It's not unpopular, it just lacks any logic.

Just doesn't really make sense to be honest. Why would you not want him to stay if he's doing well and becomes world class? How would he be overstaying his welcome after 3 years at the club and hypothetically scoring lots of goals. Just a bizarre statement to be honest maybe you can see why a lot of us are confused

Our club has signed a player for 75m and I'm not interested in the least. I don't think he's a United player. Would have been so excited if we had gotten Greizmann or Morata. Greizmann especially. He just feels like a United player. And Rooney's gone as well. It's been emotional seeing the players I grew up watching leaving or retiring. Only Carrick remains.

All of those players were sold for individual reasons (morale, internal issues, other ambitions), we didn't just sell them because they'd hit a certain age and were still at their peak. That just doesn't happen. Ever. If that's what you're saying. I think that's what you're saying. Is that what you're saying?

Our club has signed a player for 75m and I'm not interested in the least. I don't think he's a United player. Would have been so excited if we had gotten Greizmann or Morata. Greizmann especially. He just feels like a United player. And Rooney's gone as well. It's been emotional seeing the players I grew up watching leaving or retiring. Only Carrick remains.
Meh, everyone jizzed their pants when we signed Falcao, Di Maria, BFS, Depay, Micky T, Pogba and they've all either flopped or failed to live up to their transfer fee so far. So maybe this is a good thing :)

Crazy post. If he scored that many goals he is basically world class.

Most of SAF's best signings were similar.

I'm buzzing, there was a time when I longed for a Batistuta over a Yorke, or a Riquelme over a Carrick, but Veron, Di Maria, Falcao et al have tainted that for me; now we're back to buying the best in the league and I'm over the moon about it.

This is honestly one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Lacks any common sense or logic.

Looking at the training pics the guy is a monster! He is huge lol didn't realise he was so big.

Unit.
I think we have a rival for Valencia as the strongest man in the squad. No one comes close to those 2.

Nobody notice a strange coincidence?

Rooney was ex everton, coming to us, back to everton and lukaku was ex everton coming to us? It's like an full cycle
Yes, Everton are a Manchester United feeder club...

Would love to see us poach two of their youngsters too.

I feel the opposite with Griezmann, Morata and Rom...

For me, neither of them 2 really feel like United player, whereas Rom does.

Obviously it's subjective, and I respect your opinion (which is likely more knowledgeable than mine!), but that's one thing I've always felt with this signing - 'at least he's a United player'.

I just think with players like ADM, Falcao, Bastian, Depay there was this European glamour that everyone got excited about (myself especially), and then when it came down to it, they just seemed didn't have it.

Whereas with Lukaku, he's a proper, proven PL CF who does the business - even if he is lacking the flair and glitter of those other signings. And for me, at this point after SAF's retirement, that just feels right.

That's not to say that Morata won't do well at Chelsea, or wherever he ends up. But Chelsea are current PL champions, they can afford to gamble on pricey European unknown quantities, if they want to.

For us, I feel getting a firmly proven PL CF is much more important.

And, we mustn't forget, we have players who can offer alternatives to Rom, who will likely gel with him - Rashford, Martial, Mkhi, Mata, Pogba, and prob at least one more attacker...

This is just irrational.

Seeing that interview he comes along as a really calm and focused man, a true professional, and he really seems to be happy to be here with one of his closest friends.

I wonder if he'll ever grow his hair back. I thought the long braided hairstyle was class on him.

Wasn't RVN like 30 when we sold him? Beckham and Ronaldo both wanted to leave. If Lukaku is that successful it be like LFC selling Suarez. You don't get rid of 30 goal/season striker at 27, just doesn't make sense.

That young blonde lad looks decent, not seen him in many peoples predicted lineups for this season either.
Tom Davies? Yeah I'd really like us to sign him

Man, it feels like Lukaku has been in football for ages. I forgot about the hattrick against Utd in 2013 when he played for West Brom.

Just saw some of the pictures from the first training sessions, and there were some shots of him up close. Jeez, he's a specimen. Built like an absolute brick shithouse!

The day he starts using his physique to its full advantage, he should bully absolutely everyone.

I don't say this lightly, but this may just be the single most nonsensical, anti-logic collection of words I've ever seen. Certainly in a football discussion context, I don't think it can ever be matched.

In its own way, it's glorious.

Most of SAF's best signings were similar.

I'm buzzing, there was a time when I longed for a Batistuta over a Yorke, or a Riquelme over a Carrick, but Veron, Di Maria, Falcao et al have tainted that for me; now we're back to buying the best in the league and I'm over the moon about it.
He's not the best in the league. Every player you mentioned were technically superb from Veron to Batigol. Lukaku is technically deficient.

He's not the best in the league. Every player you mentioned were technically superb from Veron to Batigol. Lukaku is technically deficient.

In terms of goalscoring he's right up there. Can't argue with that. Can score any goal.

This is quite bizarre. We've seen this transfer window that buying any proven striker costs an absolute fortune. So if he bangs 30+ a season and we sell for €150m to RM...we're going to have to spend a shit load to replace him (likely), if he's even replaceable at that time at all.

Let's face it, we didn't exactly replace Ronaldo with similar quality...

I'm with you on Rooney, but only BECAUSE he's been shit for years. If he was reliably banging in goals still, then I'd have a different opinion.