Lukaku Signs | Official

Don't see what is so hard to understand. We sold RVN when he was still banging in the goals. Beckham was at his peak, but few regret him leaving. Ronaldo leaving was bitter, but he was following his dream of playing for RM.

Sorry to rain on anybodies parade. I do rate, just don't want to see him as the focal-point for our attack for the next 6-10 seasons.

I'd just like him to come in and do a job for us for a couple of years and move on.

I guess this is a really unpopular opinion.

Why would you want a succesful signing to leave before he's reached his peak? That's not only an unpopular opinion, it's also nonsensical.

Seriously? He's closer as a player to Javier Hernandez than Drogba. He is big, strong, black...and there end the similarities with Drogba. Drogba wasn't a profilic striker, Lukaku is. Lukaku's biggest strength is putting the goal in the net, while Drogba didn't score that much but had excellent all round game and made players around him better. On the other hand, Lukaku has bad all round play.

They are totally different players and this comparison is a bit boring.

He looks like Drogba - especially when he lets his hair grow :lol:
Thats enough for me

If you'd asked me 3 years ago which premier league team Pogba and Lukaku would end up I'd have put money on Chelsea. But that's because I never imagined Jose would be our manager. Those two are the perfect players to form the spine of a Mourinho team.

Agreed - but he doesn't have a typical midfield general in the mould of Essien or Matic yet. I am dying to see who our next signing is gonna be!

That signing in my opinion will truly define our season.

Di Matteo on talkSPORT right now talking Lukaku:

Joined him at 18. He's extremely hard working and ambitious, he's always wanted titles and it's a wonderful signing.

He can absolutely become better, he wants to improve. He always wanted to do more one-on-one training when the session was over. Never struck Di Matteo as a lazy player, says he's a team player. More complete player now than when Jose sold him.

Didn't really say anything interesting there really but anyway.

He should grow his hair back out! :p
Looked far more beastly with long hair.

Is Lukaku now technically the most expensive signing of all time? We have paid £75million up front, £15million in add Ons AND given Everton Wayne Rooney, which for all intents and purposes seems like it was for free, but his true market value would be north of £20million.

Is Lukaku now technically the most expensive signing of all time? We have paid £75million up front, £15million in add Ons AND given Everton Wayne Rooney, which for all intents and purposes seems like it was for free, but his true market value would be north of £20million.

Rooney isn't included officially in the deal so he doesn't count towards it at all financially in any shape or fashion. Despite the fact that Rooney going the other way certainly greased the wheels for this transfer.

Rooney's value was nothing. His contract meant we had to give him away.

Rooney isn't included officially in the deal so he doesn't count towards it at all financially in any shape or fashion. Despite the fact that Rooney going the other way certainly greased the wheels for this transfer.

So essentially we've given away a player for free with a fair chunk of his contract remaining?

Welcome Lukaku, also it is sweet seeing Chelsea's reaction to this. Especially after what happened with Hazard a couple of years back (man i wanted him here so bad:().

All the romantic "I've always wanted to play there" "I've admired them since I was kid" stuff is non-sense anyways. He came here because we're offering him a great salary, matched Everton's demands, have one of his best friends on the team and a manager he seemingly respects. Everything else is just the usual bulls*** I don't buy. If you're a kid that has grown up in a club like Rashford, then I'll buy it. But surely not with Lukaku. :lol:
And frankly, it's irrelevant. All I want is for him to perform and represent the club properly.

What should he say mate?:lol: Thats the diplomatic speech of football innit

I feel the opposite with Griezmann, Morata and Rom...

For me, neither of them 2 really feel like United player, whereas Rom does.

Obviously it's subjective, and I respect your opinion (which is likely more knowledgeable than mine!), but that's one thing I've always felt with this signing - 'at least he's a United player'.

I just think with players like ADM, Falcao, Bastian, Depay there was this European glamour that everyone got excited about (myself especially), and then when it came down to it, they just seemed didn't have it.

Whereas with Lukaku, he's a proper, proven PL CF who does the business - even if he is lacking the flair and glitter of those other signings. And for me, at this point after SAF's retirement, that just feels right.

That's not to say that Morata won't do well at Chelsea, or wherever he ends up. But Chelsea are current PL champions, they can afford to gamble on pricey European unknown quantities, if they want to.

For us, I feel getting a firmly proven PL CF is much more important.

And, we mustn't forget, we have players who can offer alternatives to Rom, who will likely gel with him - Rashford, Martial, Mkhi, Mata, Pogba, and prob at least one more attacker...
This is a great post, couldn't agree more about him actually feeling like a United player.

What should he say mate?:lol: Thats the diplomatic speech of football innit

That was exactly my point. I was just replying to those who said "It sounds like he just used his speech for a return to Chelsea and inserted Manchester". Perhaps he did, but it doesn't matter because it's the same generic type of replies everybody gives, thus they don't mean anything.

So essentially we've given away a player for free with a fair chunk of his contract remaining?

Players with a contract go for free all the time, especially in the lower leagues. Noone was willing at pay a fee for him with the wages he's on. Anyone claiming we waived £10/25m for his is just wrong.

Pretty much? Either way my point is that he isn't officially included in the Lukaku deal so for purposes of world record/premier league transfer records Lukaku is £75 million (plus add-ons) and that's it. No Rooney figures involved.

Pretty much? Either way my point is that he isn't officially included in the Lukaku deal so for purposes of world record/premier league transfer records Lukaku is £75 million (plus add-ons) and that's it. No Rooney figures involved.

I was sure I had read something along the lines of "Rooney will return to Everton as part of the deal that sees lukaku join UTD"

I was sure I had read something along the lines of "Rooney will return to Everton as part of the deal that sees lukaku join UTD"

By the sounds of it it was something of a gentleman's agreement to waive any fee for Rooney. Not a formal part of the transfer, but certainly a sweetener.

There were a few reports of that but I think BBC (Simon Stones) and a few others confirmed both deals were standalone from a transfer point of view. Not like the Eto'o/Zlatan swap deal a few years ago or cash plus Gillespie for Andy Cole.

The Rooney deal probably meant that the Lukaku deal happened though, and if we were working on Lukaku for a few months then Rooney finally agreeing to leave/make up his mind was probably the deciding factor for Everton to agree.

Lukaku is the new Anelka. Might end up being the most expensive player of all time (cumulatively) when his career is finished.

Same as we did with Schweinsteiger basically @Arbitrium, it's often the only way to get the big earners who are not wanted off the payroll.

The club have saved around 15m quid by getting Rooney's last year of wages off the books.

Last edited:
I've expressed my opinions before that I don't rate lukaku as highly as some others on here but after hearing him talk in his interviews, he came across as a genuinely humble and a good head screwed-on-right kind of a young individual. I want nothing but the best success for him here!

Great to have you here, Romelu! All the best to your first of many wonderful seasons here!!!

Reactions: SteveJ
I keep coming across ABUS saying that we have been fleeced.
Everton paid £28m for him before 3 years of mega-inflation in the transfer market, when he was unproven(barring a breakout season on loan to West Brom). In that time he's proven himself as a consistent scorer in the Prem.
If Sterling and Stones are worth £50m and Higuain £76m, (all before the new tv money), is it really such a ridiculous sum?
Tbf City and Chelsea fans haven't been as outspoken as others. Is that because they are capable of shopping at the top stores too?

The Scousers are the funniest, as they say he will flop like Benteke or Carroll, two players they bought for comparable prices at the time,(more if compared to club turnover).

I keep coming across ABUS saying that we have been fleeced.
Everton paid £28m for him before 3 years of mega-inflation in the transfer market, when he was unproven(barring a breakout season on loan to West Brom). In that time he's proven himself as a consistent scorer in the Prem.
If Sterling and Stones are worth £50m and Higuain £76m, (all before the new tv money), is it really such a ridiculous sum?
Tbf City and Chelsea fans haven't been as outspoken as others. Is that because they are capable of shopping at the top stores too?

The Scousers are the funniest, as they say he will flop like Benteke or Carroll, two players they bought for comparable prices at the time,(more if compared to club turnover).

There's no need to pay attention to it, what would you expect an opposition fan who hates everything about your club to say? "He's a great signing at a fair price and will improve the club immensely"... it's just a rule that fanbases will put down the other teams dealings, sensible heads pop up now and again but if everyone looked at things logically then rivalry might become a thing of the past.

There's no need to pay attention to it, what would you expect an opposition fan who hates everything about your club to say? "He's a great signing at a fair price and will improve the club immensely"... it's just a rule that fanbases will put down the other teams dealings, sensible heads pop up now and again but if everyone looked at things logically then rivalry might become a thing of the past.
Why?
I can say that City will have an amazing attack next season, it doesn't mean I don't hope they fail miserably.
I can say Arsenal have done great business in getting Lacazette and Liverpool will be better with Van Dijk.
Saying otherwise is just childish.

Why?
I can say that City will have an amazing attack next season, it doesn't mean I don't hope they fail miserably.
I can say Arsenal have done great business in getting Lacazette and Liverpool will be better with Van Dijk.
Saying otherwise is just childish.

Nail on the head with the modern football fan

Transfer fees have exploded in the last couple of years, so that doesn't make it so surprising. You can pretty much ignore the first 10 years anyway, given how small the transfer fees were in the 80s and 90s.

I think outside of goals scored, the most important thing is we can finally play on the counter with a set of young pacy players. Lukaku will be crucial to this. Not to mention that the focal point will be more diversified vs. Everything centering around ibra.

My only concern is that our creativity went to shit without Ibrahimovic on the pitch. At one point him and Pogba were highest statistically in chances created from our team which really concerns me. Apart from Pogba and Mata to a certain extent, we don't really have any creative players in our team.

Yeah the video of Salah training at Melwood under the heading 'Salah's first training session at Melwood' doing the rounds on social media is pretty fecking cringeworthy too! All the Dippers commenting 'Wow', and 'Can't wait'.....

But you loved it I bet!...Didn't ya??...Ya fecking did!......Most likely wanking in the corner of your bedroom under your 'Stevie Me' poster muttering some garbage that he can run the 100m faster than Bolt or some shit.
:lol:

This deserves more love.

As good as he is, and as good as I believe he has the potential to be, and as much I believe he will be a success with us. I still wouldn't really love to see him with us for longer than 3 years. Even if he scores 30-40 per season. I'd still want to see him move on for a word record fee. ~€150m. For me, he just isn't world class, but even if he does reach the upper echelons of the game -- in terms of success, both personal and with the team -- I wouldn't want to see him stay beyond 3 years. I guess the length of time we hung onto Rooney has really soured me players over staying their welcome.

With that being said, welcome to United Lukaku! Here's to 2/3 (hopefully) remarkably successful seasons.

:lol:

Worst thing I've ever read on here and that's some fecking feat.