Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same thing could be said in my favour then. Why do people assume that there is nothing going behind the scenes? What I've heard from fans, they think Nani is simply being pushed out because his contract negotiations is going sour. That very well could be the case - but there's been stories about him playing up, acting like he's a bigger "shot" than he actually is. Petrucci did have that black eye...

You are right in saying assumptions shouldn't be made - I apologise for actually making one. But as I said, I could say people are just assuming that there's nothing in it.

We may never know.

I don't think that's the case though, it's just people are responding to what they do know, and that at the moment is only the contract issue. We aren't assuming either way, but talking about what is known. You were questioning why people haven't brought up something we couldn't possibly know about, or verify, making it a little bit pointless. The Petrucci thing is irrelevant, bad yes, and it certainly happened but I'm not sure it is indicative of Nani playing up. No need to apologize though, none of this actually matters and we are all going around in vague, gay circles.

Feck sake, I can't believe there's actually a big debate going around because someone said Welbeck is a better wing option than Nani. Just laugh it off and move on.

I don't see it myself, Nani is comfortably better than Welbeck on either of the wings, and it's a position he's far more dangerous in, as well as naturally suited towards. I would accept that if you're in for the argument of giving time to Welbeck because Nani isn't in our future plans, then I'd understand a bit more, but if it's purely in terms of quality, then I'm still lost, as Nani offers far more on the wings.

Fair enough if you don't agree, I just think Welbeck provides a more team orientated option, with which the whole team seems to play better, flowing and fluid football.

Nani is brilliant for other reasons, but they are more individual.

Nani would probably out score and assist Welbeck if they played in the same position but I think the whole team would be better and more successful with Welbeck, as it seems like others around him enjoy playing with him and he brings out the best in his teammates.

Also, do note that I don't really envisage them playing the wing role in the same way as each other, and the way I see Welbeck playing it, is my preference and more in tune with modern tactics. Still plenty of use for Nani though, which is why I said I would 'usually' pick Danny. Also, given the theory behind my thinking, I would also prefer Kagawa to Valencia on the wing in most games, certainly stylistically, but given Antonios consistency and general good form it's hard to leave him out.

Feck sake, I can't believe there's actually a big debate going around because someone said Welbeck is a better wing option than Nani. Just laugh it off and move on.

You do that and leave us to it.

Barcelona don't play a rigid 442 like we tend to do, and a front 3 of Messi/Villa/Pedro/Sanchez is slightly more fluent and mobile than a 3 of Rooney/Welbeck/RVP. Comparing the way Barca use "wide forwards" and the way we utilise them is moronic, as the two teams play with different styles.

City lack width as it is. They have no out and out wingers like we have in the form of Valencia, and the players who are "wide" for them drift in ie. Silva/Nasri. Infact the only way City acquire width is by playing 3 at the back, with Zabaleta and Clichy/Kolarov acting as wing backs - and we all know how successful that tactic has been for them so far.

It's not completely outlandish, no. Attacking midfielders are much more versatile now, and by being able to drift it means that it makes life difficult for a defensive midfielder to man mark them as it drags them out of position. I don't see why people say attacking midfielders "playing out wide" - they don't constantly play out wide in the way that Valencia does, but they have the ability to play out wide if necessary.

What makes Nani great on the wings is his ambidextrous ability, and the fact that defenders are caught in two minds whether to allow him inside to shoot, or to let him put a cross in with an equally strong foot. With Welbeck there's no dilema, just don't let him inside to link up with the central striker. I understand given Nani's contract situation if you were saying that we should be playing Welbeck there incase Nani leaves and it would improve another dimension to Danny's game, but going on ability alone there's absolutely no logic in choosing Welbeck over Nani to play out wide.

Moronic eh? I was just suggesting that a change in style, gearing towards the more fluent and mobile trio up front, might be a good idea.

City lack width? It may be true but they won the league so it's hardly disastrous is it? Anyway we would still have plenty of options left if we needed the traditional width, I'm not saying sell our wingers, I'm saying lets sometimes start with wide players that are comfortable in central roles. It has it's benefits.

Am I the only one who thinks that Welbeck is far from good as a winger. In everything Nani beats him as winger.

Yeah but if we're talking about a front 3 then I can't think of anyone in our squad who more naturally fits into that role than Nani.

Am I the only one who thinks that Welbeck is far from good as a winger. In everything Nani beats him as winger.

I agree, think he's pretty poor and wasted out on the wing. Not on the same level as Nani as a winger.

I think we'll all agree to that. But when Fergie puts him on the left, he's not expecting him to perform as an out and out winger, so it's not really relevant.

I think we'll all agree to that. But when Fergie puts him on the left, he's not expecting him to perform as an out and out winger, so it's not really relevant.

All agree to what, that he isn't that good on the wing, or better than Nani?

Read the thread.

People were saying he's the best player in the squad, he's better than Robben and Ribery, world class, etc. when in reality he had a good few months from the start of the season then dropped off at the business end, supposedly due to a bad tackle, and he hasn't kicked on since.

Once again, Nani has never been an automatic starter he's always played intermittently except when other players have been injured. How many games do you think we start Nani for before he starts to play well?
Pretty much. It always amuses me how fans can get so emotionally attached to certain players that they end up overlooking any sense of logic.

The Berba fiasco was a similarly embarassing moment for certain people on here.

It always amazes how short the memories are on here.

"A few good months" :lol:

Tbh all you have to do is look at the stats over the last few periods, which shows form or not Nani has been amongst the best in the league, including Valencia and Young in terms of productivity. So if he's doing that off form, when he hit's form he could be and typically is a major creative force.

I'm his fan, but this is nowhere near his best, but I didn't expected nothing more tbf, all this shit with Fergie isn't doing him any good.

Good to see that he's not been banned from playing football. Playing within himself so far but some decent moments.

Nobody says he's a shit footballer, we know he's quality, but even some of his fanbois should admit there's a weird problem with Nani.

It was a great goal, showed quality there, like against City in Charity Shield last year. Yes, he can.

It's quite funny that seconds after that goal, not even watching replays, there are posters who search the Nani thread to post "whoa, I knew that, feckers want sell him, I love him".

Better in second half, much better with every minute after that goal, don't stop Nani.

We were keeping the ball well in their corner in the final minute there until he decided to try and go for goal.:mad:

Yep, the cnut clearly subconsciously forced Wooton to concede the pen as well.

To be fair, it was absolutely 100% retarded stuff to do what Nani did in the dying seconds. There was genuinely no need.

I'm a bit disappointed with him tonight. Thought he did well up to his goal - which was stunning - and then dropped off. He was more or less wank afterwards. Not good enough for someone with something to prove.

Thought he did well pretty much all game. People all here have been crying out for Nani to "play it safer", which he did for the most part tonight, bar the end goal. No rash shots or stupid decisions, kept the ball well, passed well, scored a great goal and created a few chances too.

What more could you want after not starting a game for 3 weeks?

Thought he did well pretty much all game. People all here have been crying out for Nani to "play it safer", which he did for the most part tonight, bar the end goal. No rash shots or stupid decisions, kept the ball well, passed well, scored a great goal and created a few chances too.

What more could you want after not starting a game for 3 weeks?

I thought he lost the ball on numerous occasions in bad positions, often totally unnecessary.

I thought he had a bright match the 15 minutes or so after his goal, bar that I thought it was a slightly underwhelming match from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.