Lucas Moura - (Caf decides he’s naff again) Spurs bound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d still take him.

He would be a great sqaud player and stylistically suits Mourinho sides. Sanchez signing too would mean we’re not going to be relying on him.

He won't be swapping one bench for another, think him coming here is out of the question now.

He’s not even getting a look in at PSG. He’d be a very useful squad player here in a position that we’re very weak. People are really underrating him.

I'd take him on loan or for £20m. Nothing wrong with squad depth.

The player publicly said he has some offers and his top priority is to join the Premier League.

why not?

RW: Moura/Lingard
LW: Sanchez/Martial
AM: Mata/Ozil
Stk: Lukaku/Rashford

realistically though, it looks like this:

RW: Moura/Mata
LW: Sanchez/Martial/Rashford
AM: Ozil/Lingard
ST: Lukaku.

And that's the problem, Moura starting week in week out whilst Martial(who is easily a superior player) and Rashford get very limited game time. I think the best option is to scrap chasing Lucas, and find a way to play Sanchez, Martial and Lingard (given his form) in behind Lukaku effectively. That way Rashford/Mata can still get sufficient game time in various positions and more importantly Martial doesn't drop to the bench.

And that's the problem, Moura starting week in week out whilst Martial(who is easily a superior player) and Rashford get very limited game time. I think the best option is to scrap chasing Lucas, and find a way to play Sanchez, Martial and Lingard (given his form) in behind Lukaku effectively. That way Rashford/Mata can still get sufficient game time in various positions and more importantly Martial doesn't drop to the bench.
He will only start if he is delivering. And since Martial is superior he would gain his place soon or later. I'm against to bring Lucas Moura as a solution or our main signing, but as squad depth he would be excellent. The way the coach will use the players is another debate, but we need a "middle class" in the squad as any top club.

First of all nothing is cast in stone. We might not get any of those players especially Ozil. But lets assume we get them all.

A- Mata is a no 10. He is on a huge salary and he's not particularly good on the flanks. So if we sign Ozil then I can see him leaving. So the right flank will be in the hands of Lingard and Moura, with the latter being first teamer
B - Sanchez will of course be a first teamer. There again, most of our players upfront (inc Sanchez) are comfortable in playing different roles. If Martial, Ozil and Sanchez are doing well then they will all play (Martial-Ozil-Sanchez). If Rashford and Martial are doing well then Sanchez will move as no 10 with the youngsters taking the wings. If Ozil, Lingard and Sanchez are doing well then they will be the one playing.
C- Lukaku is the only 'focal' player upfront. Which is fair enough considered the fee we have paid for him. However that doesn't mean that we won't have adequate cover for him. Sanchez can play upfront, same can be said about Rashford and Martial who are both strikers. If Rashford can score so many goals with LVG then imagine how many goals he can score with the slightly more attacking minded Mou (everyone is attacking minded compared to LVG)

I know this sounds outrageous. But there was a time when we had wingers of the flanks. Not strikers, not no 10s but wingers. Moura and Sanchez will provide that.

First of all nothing is cast in stone. We might not get any of those players especially Ozil. But lets assume we get them all.

A- Mata is a no 10. He is on a huge salary and he's not particularly good on the flanks. So if we sign Ozil then I can see him leaving. So the right flank will be in the hands of Lingard and Moura, with the latter being first teamer
B - Sanchez will of course be a first teamer. There again, most of our players upfront (inc Sanchez) are comfortable in playing different roles. If Martial, Ozil and Sanchez are doing well then they will all play (Martial-Ozil-Sanchez). If Rashford and Martial are doing well then Sanchez will move as no 10 with the youngsters taking the wings. If Ozil, Lingard and Sanchez are doing well then they will be the one playing.
C- Lukaku is the only 'focal' player upfront. Which is fair enough considered the fee we have paid for him. However that doesn't mean that we won't have adequate cover for him. Sanchez can play upfront, same can be said about Rashford and Martial who are both strikers. If Rashford can score so many goals with LVG then imagine how many goals he can score with the slightly more attacking minded Mou (everyone is attacking minded compared to LVG)

I know this sounds outrageous. But there was a time when we had wingers of the flanks. Not strikers, not no 10s but wingers. Moura and Sanchez will provide that.

The issue I'd have with signing Lucas is that it will force Sanchez on that left-hand side for the majority of his time here. Yes that's his best position but with him guaranteed a start and the same being the case with Lukaku, I don't think we'll be able to keep a hold of both Martial and Rashford. There have been times this season where they've both shown signs of frustration when rotating with another for that LW position, putting a world class player there really changes the whole dynamic completely. You can argue they can play in other positions and that we'll have plenty of games all you want but from their perspective it's unlikely to be enough. Just looking at their international aspirations, Rashford is hoping to start for England and Martial is trying to regain his place in an extremely competitive France squad under a stubborn manager. Can't see Martial staying past the age of 23 under the conditions where his two positions are occupied by 'untouchables'. No Moura and there's more room for flexibility and actual rotation.

Reactions: Penna
Paris St-Germain midfielder Lucas Moura, 25, has been linked with Manchester United and says: “Unfortunately, it’s the end for me in Paris. I like the English championship.”

I think he could end up at either Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea. It would be highly unlikely for him to end up at United when we get Sanchez.

The issue I'd have with signing Lucas is that it will force Sanchez on that left-hand side for the majority of his time here. Yes that's his best position but with him guaranteed a start and the same being the case with Lukaku, I don't think we'll be able to keep a hold of both Martial and Rashford. There have been times this season where they've both shown signs of frustration when rotating with another for that LW position, putting a world class player there really changes the whole dynamic completely. You can argue they can play in other positions and that we'll have plenty of games all you want but from their perspective it's unlikely to be enough. Just looking at their international aspirations, Rashford is hoping to start for England and Martial is trying to regain his place in an extremely competitive France squad under a stubborn manager. Can't see Martial staying past the age of 23 under the conditions where his two positions are occupied by 'untouchables'. No Moura and there's more room for flexibility and actual rotation.
I think he'll play Rooney's position personally.

Paris St-Germain midfielder Lucas Moura, 25, has been linked with Manchester United and says: “Unfortunately, it’s the end for me in Paris. I like the English championship.”
Wolves could afford him...

I'd prefer Mahrez but that isn't happening. Get Moura and Sanchez this window. Moura on the right and playing Sanchez in the hole/no 10 is better than what we have now and could be quite devastating

If we get Sanchez we don’t need Moura.

You can’t fit Sanchez, Martial and Moura in th same side.

Still think we should go for him even after Sanchez as he would provide qualities we lack on the right wing. At least he would be a great cover and add depth to our attacking options with relatively lower cost. We will still need a proper winger imo and he's exactly that. If i had to use an analogy; Sanchez would be our Hazard(main man, match winner, highest scorer etc.) and Lucas would be our Willian(out and out winger).

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2018/feature-in-defence-of-lucas-moura/

Scrap this entire transfer and go for Pulisic in the summer.

PSG fans on Redcafe are good at marketing :D
True :lol:

Seriously I'm suprised so few clubs (according to rumours) are trying to benefit from the FFP situation to get a quality player PSG can spare for a few dozen millions instead of the usual beggar loan offers that will never get accepted.

Will be cool to see him in the PL even for Spurs. See how he gets on. I think he would at least be a decent signing for us, purely based on his attributes, a bit of a YouTube and the fact that Fergie clearly wanted him. PSGs scouts seem to be doing a pretty good job overall but they can’t play everyone and some players obviously want to not play in France for their best years. Will it be another spurs gamble that pays off?

Last edited:
A RW maybe not be required if we decide to move back to a 4-3-3 formation but I have a feeling that Jose will continue to play a fluid 4-2-3-1 formation where Pogba is more attacking and Matic will probably stay behind to protect the back 4 on the break. If we continue to play a 4-2-3-1, we still need a RW. This is how I see it being

---------------------------- Lukaku ----------------------------
--- Martial --------------- Sanchez -------------- RW --------
------------- Pogba -------------------- Matic ----------------
--- Shaw ------- Jones -------- Smalling ------- Valencia ---

Lingard is not an effective RW, Yes we could have Lingard play at No. 10 and Sanchez at RW but I would rather that we get Lucas Moura or a Mahrez. I would almost give Sanchez a free role behind Lukaku. He's very devastating that way. Moura for a rest of the season loan to check if he's able to succeed in the PL is not a bad deal at all. It will give us options and rest players for the CL considering that Moura wouldn't play CL games. We could also use him in the FA Cup.

Looks like he is going to Spurs.
Strange as we're currently maxed out with 17 foreign players on our CL registration.

As far as I know Lucas isn't CL cup tied - So if the rumours are true I would expect someone to be on the way out. Or perhaps we don't register 3 foreign goalkeepers.

That said I'm not the biggest Lucas fan, think he'd be a similar level of contributor as Lamela. Would sooner keep doing what we do and buy someone young and promising with the risk that they may not pan out. Recently been linked to Sessegnon and Maddison and I'd much sooner do those deals.

Why not? Martial is a LW and Alexis is a second striker.
I think most see Sanchez as a LW. But I agree, rather we try him through the middle even if he does usually start on the left. Martial should be starting.

Why not? Martial is a LW and Alexis is a second striker.
Because football doesn't work like that. What I meant is Lucas Moura still has inconsistency in his game. You have Pogba, Lukaku, Martial all have similar problem. Then Rashford coming off the bench or start in any other games. That's too much burden on other starters. Knowing our luck with injuries, our defense would be shuffle at times too. You can't carry that much uncertainty in the starting line up coming into must win game.

Status
Not open for further replies.