L'Oreal sack first transgender model for racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at some statistics from my university white students make up about 54% of the student population, the next largest is Asian, then Chinese, then Black. It seemed like there was less white people on my course, although granted I can't claim to have sat there and tried to count people by their ethnicity. but I can't seem to find any kind of breakdown by course publicly available, and even then it could have changed, I graduated in 12-13.

What would you estimate the black contigent to be in terms of a percentage?

It's pretty damn clear she intended to write exactly what she wrote and the lack of acknowledgement that what she wrote is inherently racist and her attempt to weasle her way out of it by suddenly altering her entire narrative just makes her another piece of shit on a shoe in the collection of racists in my opinion.

It was this part of an interview that got me;

“I’m half-white. My mum thought I was lumping her in with everyone, but this isn’t about individuals. To understand my point, you have to take yourself out of the conversation – it’s not about you – and truly think about society, structurally, economically, as a whole.”

Followed by... “I don’t regret what I said,”

The absolute lack of self awareness and grasp of the real world dumbfounds me.

Just when I thought a model was going to have a new hot-take on something important too...

She's a moron trying to express a genuine feeling that most people who are affected by the same feeling struggle to articulate. I agree with her general sentiment.

That's not yes or no, but it'll do. I genuinely didn't expect or even want a yes or no, because the point is clearly things aren't that simple. Thanks.

I'm guessing the part you don't agree with is calling all white people violently racist then?

That's not yes or no, but it'll do. I genuinely didn't expect or even want a yes or no, because the point is clearly things aren't that simple. Thanks.

I'm guessing the part you don't agree with is calling all white people violently racist then?

She said 'racial violence' I believe. Her deliberate use of the word 'racial' as opposed to 'racist' suggests she isn't talking about the straight forward kind of violence you associate with racism and what she in her interview kind of backs that up but it's hard to know for sure. It's open to interpretation.

Don't do that. If you are going to call people racist, and it's pretty obvious who you are talling about anyway, at least name them and let them defend themselves.

Why don't you read other peoples' contributions to this thread as keenly as you seem to have read everything I wrote and tell me who you think it is? And then I'll have a better understanding of your mindset and be able to answer your earlier question a bit better.

She's a moron trying to express a genuine feeling that most people who are affected by the same feeling struggle to articulate. I agree with her general sentiment.

If you can be bothered, outline the sentiment that you agree with. You're prevaricating in almost every single post.

Use actual words to describe how you feel, what it is that you agree with. Be specific.

You'll never get truly condemned for saying 'This is how I feel and what I believe'. People may feel you're wrong of course. But at the moment you're simply criticising the process of debate without actually nailing anything to the mast.

She said 'racial violence' I believe. Her deliberate use of the word 'racial' as opposed to 'racist' suggests she isn't talking about the straight forward kind of violence you associate with racism and what she in her interview kind of backs that up but it's hard to know for sure. It's open to interpretation.

So when I google racial violence and all the answers lead me to the same definition, coupled with the fact she was talking about an actual violent racist situation at the time, is it not fair for me to view that at a racial slur?

In any sense of the phrase, whatever your interpretation is, do you agree that saying it the way she did still makes it racist based on the fact she's making a negative general statement about an entire race?

Why don't you read other peoples' contributions to this thread as keenly as you seem to have read everything I wrote and tell me who you think it is? And then I'll have a better understanding of your mindset and be able to answer your earlier question a bit better.

Why are you suggesting I haven't read them? It was a history discusion and people far more educated in that area were discussing it, why would I wade in on something I know less about?

As it stands I'm talking to you because you are here and it's interesting to me how you keep dodging people's questions, flip-flopping about name calling, and won't simply condone a racist statement. Because you can do that whilst still agreeing with the point she made you know.

But you won't because you don't think she's said anything racist. Which would actually be a far more interesting conversation anyway and wouldn't make me suddenly assume you are racist too. But if I did, I'd tell you. I wouldn't hide behind a blatant hint.

Last edited:
It was this part of an interview that got me;

“I’m half-white. My mum thought I was lumping her in with everyone, but this isn’t about individuals. To understand my point, you have to take yourself out of the conversation – it’s not about you – and truly think about society, structurally, economically, as a whole.”

Followed by... “I don’t regret what I said,”

The absolute lack of self awareness and grasp of the real world dumbfounds me.

Just when I thought a model was going to have a new hot-take on something important too...

My rule in life, if you need to use a characteristic about yourself or someone you know to validate your opinion, it's probably a stupid one. It's pretty much up there with "Some of my best friends are black... but..."

"To understand my point, you have to take yourself out of the conversation – it’s not about you – and truly think about society, structurally, economically, as a whole.”

Honestly just sounds like wishy washy bull aimed at diverting away from what she said. You could use that line to attempt to get out of saying a whole load of rubbish. It doesn't hold a lot of water, paticularly after specifically referring to "people" and using "your" in her rant.

My rule in life, if you need to use a characteristic about yourself or someone you know to validate your opinion, it's probably a stupid one. It's pretty much up there with "Some of my best friends are black... but..."

"To understand my point, you have to take yourself out of the conversation – it’s not about you – and truly think about society, structurally, economically, as a whole.”

Honestly just sounds like wishy washy bull aimed at diverting away from what she said. You could use that line to attempt to get out of saying a whole load of rubbish. It doesn't hold a lot of water, paticularly after specifically referring to "people" and using "your" in her rant.

Yep, it's a nice neat little bow.

She should just apologise, admit she said something stupid based on emotion, then talk about the actual point and issue she raised. That would do so much more good.

But no. Stick with the racism. That'll help fight racism.

If you can be bothered, outline the sentiment that you agree with. You're prevaricating in almost every single post.

Use actual words to describe how you feel, what it is that you agree with. Be specific.

You'll never get truly condemned for saying 'This is how I feel and what I believe'. People may feel you're wrong of course. But at the moment you're simply criticising the process of debate without actually nailing anything to the mast.

It doesn't matter what I personally believe since that has very little weight, particularly with someone like yourself who genuinely believes racism is over. I've tried to make points for people to elaborate on. Like the one I just made. The poster made the point about favouritism for black and female students in the selection process for internships. This clearly frustrates him as does this womans' comments which have warranted about a dozen responses in this thread.

When I asked him how many blacks attended his Uni he deliberately tried on more than one occassion to obfuscate the answer which he had to admit was about 4 percent. Now unless that's proportional to the regional demographic in whatever part of the country the Uni is based then there is clearly something wrong with that number. Either you believe as atleast one person implicitly stated in this very thread: that black people make poor life choices that lead to outcomes like this or there is something institutional going on that is at least part of the cause. As a human being doesn't that just make you concerned that something may be going on? Or is your thinking and time better served posting a dozen times in this thread about the one time a black celebrity said something perceived to be racist.

Why are you suggesting I haven't read them? It was a history discusion and people far more educated in that area were discussing it, why would I wade in on something I know less about?

Well the main protagonists were 2 people disagreeing with each other, so one of them must be as you say 'educated' and the other not. Were you not on some level curious who was speaking with accuracy?

You wrote this:

First up: Under no circumstances have I even gone anywhere near even a vague suggestion that the poster is a "Misguided racist". What the hell are you talking about?

I also understand the principle of white privilege. It's still a ridiculous term. It instantly creates battle lines where there need not be any.

Just over a year ago I got called into HR. I was asked to justify the make up of a project team. The project was due to run for 6 weeks and I had brought in 3 contractors to code something out. The HR manager (Black, straight, female) said that I needed to ensure that all future teams 'Accurately represented the diversity of the company'. I'd hired 2 Chinese males and one Malaysian female. The second Chinese guy was a friend of the first who we got without an agency so saved a packet. This is the nonsense that I speak about. I laughed, told her to bring it up with a Director and speak to me again afterwards. We never spoke of it again.

In my world, my life, we're there. We're in the promised land. I've been told by a black woman that hiring two Chinese males and a Malaysian female for 4-6 weeks is not meeting diversity criteria. We've gone so far past the finish line that on the victory lap we're criticising each other for smiling too much.

This is the modern world that I inhabit. Anyone trying to tell me that they want to reduce me to 'Male. White' has some major issues. That's a phenomenally large backwards step.

You just sound nutty. I'm not part of a people. It's not because I 'don't recognise it'. It's simply not there. Previous generations, sure. Other countries, of course.

People continue to be oppressed in myriad ways. Why the hell can't we just focus on that? Identify the actual people (not the arbitrary labelled demographics) that are doing wrong, hold them to account, then make a change. It's not hard.

When I asked him how many blacks attended his Uni he deliberately tried on more than one occassion to obfuscate the answer which he had to admit was about 4 percent. Now unless that's proportional to the regional demographic in whatever part of the country the Uni is based then there is clearly something wrong with that number. Either you believe as atleast one person implicitly stated in this very thread: that black people make poor life choices that lead to outcomes like this or there is something institutional going on that is at least part of the cause. As a human being doesn't that just make you concerned that something may be going on? Or is your thinking and time better served posting a dozen times in this thread about the one time a black celebrity said something perceived to be racist.

Obfuscate the answer? I gave you a rough estimation because I had no clue what you were looking for. When you asked for a specific, I provided it.

If you want a better breakdown of just UK students specifically from the data on their site, here you go:

Ethnicity/Amount of students/Percentage of UK student population/Percentage of UK population
Asian or Asian British - 2,898 19% 6.2%
Black or Black British - 577 3.5% 3%
Chinese - 579 3.5% 0.7%
Various Mixed - 867 5.6% 2%
White 9,819 64% 87.1%
Other ethnic background - 537 3.5% 0.9%
Total 15,277
No information given/Not known - 433

You'll find that actually pretty much every group but 'white' is over-represented compared to the UK population as a whole, black by what I expect is a non-statistically significant amount. This has gone so far from the point I was trying to make anyway.

You wrote this:

In my world, my life, we're there. We're in the promised land. I've been told by a black woman that hiring two Chinese males and a Malaysian female for 4-6 weeks is not meeting diversity criteria. We've gone so far past the finish line that on the victory lap we're criticising each other for smiling too much.

Oh good lord. You realise how small my life is, right? I know less than 100 people and interact with maybe 250 in a year.

My point was: That's my world. The world that I inhabit.

The question off of that: Should I have to show any thought or offer any kind of silent apology for simply being white? Am I forever labelled 'White' rather than just being regarded as a run of the mill human?

We've made it to page nine, with a several day old story, about someone being sacked. Despite the fact pretty much everyone understands why they were sacked.

Firstly this study is from 2003, so it might be a little out of date. However I'm not disputing that individual racists exist, I realise they do and I'm happy to protest them with you. However affirmative action groups do exist which specifically seek to eliminate discrimination from the hiring processes, and laws which ban discrimination within hiring based on race. Look at E-Race for example, which have had significant success in doing so.

https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/initiatives/e-race/

That isn't white privilege within the government, that is the government going out of its way to eliminate the individual racists within the system. These are the ones we can fight.

When I say that I mean in this day and age. Are you really accusing me of not seeing racism in the past? Of course systemic racism was a thing, I just don't see it in the modern day. Of course there are going to be some elements of a hangover from that period, but as I said these are individual racists, and these are the ones we can do something about. They aren't reflected in the system anymore, and they don't represent the views of 99% of white people. So for someone to accuse "all white people" of being racist when we're just not, and white governments are doing everything in their power to weed out the last traces of discrimination, I just don't buy it.

Affirmative action positively benefited white women, not people of colour - because employers still show bias when it comes to hiring people of colour
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/affirmative-action-white-women_us_56a0ef6ae4b0d8cc1098d3a5

You don't see systemic racism in the modern day because you aren't a victim of it, and you choose not to see it.
This idea that racism is over and we're just in the last few hoorahs is only talked about by white people - ask any person of colour if they believe this to be true, and the overwhelming majority will disagree with you.

You always seem to wade into these kind of debates with such a sharp spear.

You need to at least attempt to be more nuanced.

Yes systemic and institutionalised racism is a 'thing'. Both historically, and currently. But lets not pretend that a blanket statement of 'White people oppress, black people get oppressed' is anything like a factual comment in this day and age. It certainly can't be applied globally. To do so is ridiculous. It can't even be applied across whole countries.

It's the same with womens rights or LGBT rights, or any 'rights'. The moment you add a qualifier that doesn't simply read 'Human rights' you've already picked a side.

If a woman in an office leads a team of people she's more likely to recruit more women. If an Indian male leads a team he has a tendency to recruit both more males, and more people of Indian descent. White males recruit a wider variety of people than any other demographic.

You know why? There are so damn many of us. Supposedly "We" never feel threatened because we have always been in a position of privilege. 'Everyone else' is railing against this but the key point in it all is missed. White males below the age of 40 simply don't have an idea of "I've made it, now I'm going to help out my people". We have no people. White 30 years olds have just as many issues with those old white folks as anyone of any different race, colour or gender. We're all in the same damn system.

We have completely jumped the shark in terms of how we view diversity in the workplace and world.

I honestly have no dog in this fight. I'm a good person and I treat everyone I encounter in life with respect and fairness. I sure as sh1t don't wear any white guilt and I never will. It's ridiculous.

The ultimate irony is that groups that rail against 'The White Man' are the only people that see us as a group. We are not a damn group. There are no secret handshakes. We don't walk into rooms and recognise each other as being 'the same'. Those kinds of terms are not part of our lexicon.

It dumfounds me that people make all of this a 'Them vs Us' issue. It can never be that reductive. That immediately draws battle lines for nonsensical noise to be heard.

It's always 'Us Vs Troublesome issue'. That's it. Every single issue. Every time. A kaleidoscopic rainbow of people that need to solve issues together.

I'm not really sure what it is you're attempting to say here, except ranting a little bit about your feelings?

She's not entirely wrong.

That's a pretty accurate statement in line with most theories of European/white wealth arising from exploitation of colonial subjects from about the fifteenth century onward.
The only problem is that colonial subjects weren't all people of colour.

Obfuscate the answer? I gave you a rough estimation because I had no clue what you were looking for. When you asked for a specific, I provided it.

If you want a better breakdown of just UK students specifically from the data on their site, here you go:

Ethnicity/Amount of students/Percentage of UK student population/Percentage of UK population
Asian or Asian British - 2,898 19% 6.2%
Black or Black British - 577 3.5% 3%
Chinese - 579 3.5% 0.7%
Various Mixed - 867 5.6% 2%
White 9,819 64% 87.1%
Other ethnic background - 537 3.5% 0.9%
Total 15,277
No information given/Not known - 433

You'll find that actually pretty much every group but 'white' is over-represented compared to the UK population as a whole, black by what I expect is a non-statistically significant amount. This has gone so far from the point I was trying to make anyway.

It seems like you've wasted your time. He is reading what he wants to, not anything you've actually said.

You have GOT to be kidding me

This guy must be on a wind up. Either that or the complete lack of self awareness is outstanding.

A sexy, racially and gender-ambiguous de rigueur cosmetics model - downfall brought about by a politically clumsy Twitter statement, in a hubristic attempt to appear woke - sacked by rabbit torturers - chorus of baying social media - meeting Piers Moron. All the elements of Millenial Tragedy right there.

I think I understand what she was trying to say, she just went about it in the most appalling way. She said some dumb things in public and got fired. Not really a story.

Isn't that the problem with the whole "social justice" movement? Of course they are raising valid points but they drive everyone who is partly sympathising with them away with their crude and yes often just as racist statements. Every discussion needs some form of restraint on both sides if everyone just yells bigot at everyone that doesn't 100% agree with their statement there is no discussion to be had.

I'm not really sure what it is you're attempting to say here, except ranting a little bit about your feelings?

Only the first few lines were aimed at you.

The rest of it I addressed the issues of the matter at hand and those attached to it.

You do have a habit of spearing topics though. Once that's done there nothing but confirmation bias in the posts.

It's fine. But you often call people out for 'not understanding because they cant' then demonstrating a one sided attitude.

I'm sure you're a lovely person. I've often thought that you'd be the kind of person I'd have an enjoyable pub debate with. You seem to be be smart, enjoyably belligerent if a little closed off.

Not an attack, just an observation which you don't have to invest in.

A sexy, racially and gender-ambiguous de rigueur cosmetics model - downfall brought about by a politically clumsy Twitter statement, in a hubristic attempt to appear woke - sacked by rabbit torturers - chorus of baying social media - meeting Piers Moron. All the elements of Millenial Tragedy right there.

Her reality TV career starts here.......

Is that really what she said though...?
Yeah I should have I'm talking about the interview I posted

So are black Westerners and others? I don't see some kind of boycott of Apple and the like in the West by any ethnicity. I'm sure she also owns items that were made under those conditions. But it's worse when a white person does it?

EDIT: If you look at Apple's sales for examples, more than 50% of their sales are from outside Europe and NA: http://uk.businessinsider.com/apple-iphone-sales-region-china-chart-2017-3 Their 2nd biggest market is China...
No one is blaming people for buying Apple products the point is this is a systematic problem not a problem of individuals which was the point she making in the video, although at times it was put across badly.

The question off of that: Should I have to show any thought or offer any kind of silent apology for simply being white? Am I forever labelled 'White' rather than just being regarded as a run of the mill human?

You mean like black people have to face every day of their lives?

There have been like 10 black people that have worked here that didn't involve sports but it's good to know that we built our country up from the blood of foreigners. You learn something new every day.

Only the first few lines were aimed at you.

The rest of it I addressed the issues of the matter at hand and those attached to it.

You do have a habit of spearing topics though. Once that's done there nothing but confirmation bias in the posts.

It's fine. But you often call people out for 'not understanding because they cant' then demonstrating a one sided attitude.

I'm sure you're a lovely person. I've often thought that you'd be the kind of person I'd have an enjoyable pub debate with. You seem to be be smart, enjoyably belligerent if a little closed off.

Not an attack, just an observation which you don't have to invest in.

That's fair and I would admit I can come across as quite spearing and sometimes dismissive on the topic of race, but unfortunately it's not something I take lightly, it's something I don't have the luxury (can't say privilege apparently) of being able to take it lightly.

And actually I find myself backspacing and deleting the things I really want to say, in order not to offend people on this forum, so if you think I'm spearing, you're only seeing maybe 30% of my actual feelings and thoughts. :lol:

Racism is an uncomfortable conversation - I imagine it's more uncomfortable to talk about for white people than it is for people of colour - ultimately I'm comfortable talking about the totality of racism because talking about it, and having to live through it are two different things.

Unfortunately these are the hard conversations that need to be had, in detail. And I'm sure it will continue to get uncomfortable for *some* white people to have to read/hear in the process.
But *some* white people who dismiss things like institutional & systemic racism or white privilege just annoys me and I won't apologise for that - because it's just wholly ignorant, and shows a clear lack of understanding of what racism is.

In my opinion, some only like to identify racism based on a dictionary definition, or racial slurs - outside of that, they just choose to pretend that it doesn't exist, which is great for them but saying it doesn't exist, and believing it doesn't exist doesn't actually make it so.

Interesting point.
You've lived your life subconsciously assuming that when someone refers to a person/human they automatically mean white, and anyone who isn't white is labelled by their race. Your whiteness hasn't had to be questioned, pointed out, or even identified because it is the default.
My blackness for example is always identified, pointed out, described - this is why we have things like 'Black History Month' when really it should just be History.

This is just one example out of many, when I say it's difficult for someone who isn't a person of colour to understand. You may take that negatively or as me being spearing but it's just a fact of life.

Affirmative action positively benefited white women, not people of colour - because employers still show bias when it comes to hiring people of colour
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/affirmative-action-white-women_us_56a0ef6ae4b0d8cc1098d3a5

You don't see systemic racism in the modern day because you aren't a victim of it, and you choose not to see it.
This idea that racism is over and we're just in the last few hoorahs is only talked about by white people - ask any person of colour if they believe this to be true, and the overwhelming majority will disagree with you.

That article talks about a lack of black women getting into university. It then goes on to say how the number of applicants is far fewer than white applicants. As I argued before, I think class/culture is more to blame. Take a look at this article on why Oxford has so few black students, and you'll see that it's more a class problem than a race problem.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politic...xford-has-so-few-black-students-and-who-blame

The problem is that people from disadvantaged areas, or those who haven't got a private education find it harder. It's not really an issue of race as such, although this might be reflected in the numbers attending. However as any statistics student would tell you, statistical disparity does not necessarily mean discrimination. What it does show however is a class divide, which as I argued before is more rooted in culture.

As for the second part, I'd never try and argue that racism is over and we're into "the last few hoorahs". Racism will likely never go away fully, what I don't see however is racism reflected in the system to a large enough degree that it stops black people, or people of any race from leading a successful life. There is literally no limit to what you can achieve, and I think those who fall short are sometimes too quick to place that blame on an invisible, systemic issue rather than look at themselves.

That's fair and I would admit I can come across as quite spearing and sometimes dismissive on the topic of race, but unfortunately it's not something I take lightly, it's something I don't have the luxury (can't say privilege apparently) of being able to take it lightly.

And actually I find myself backspacing and deleting the things I really want to say, in order not to offend people on this forum, so if you think I'm spearing, you're only seeing maybe 30% of my actual feelings and thoughts. :lol:

Racism is an uncomfortable conversation - I imagine it's more uncomfortable to talk about for white people than it is for people of colour - ultimately I'm comfortable talking about the totality of racism because talking about it, and having to live through it are two different things.

Unfortunately these are the hard conversations that need to be had, in detail. And I'm sure it will continue to get uncomfortable for *some* white people to have to read/hear in the process.
But *some* white people who dismiss things like institutional & systemic racism or white privilege just annoys me and I won't apologise for that - because it's just wholly ignorant, and shows a clear lack of understanding of what racism is.

In my opinion, some only like to identify racism based on a dictionary definition, or racial slurs - outside of that, they just choose to pretend that it doesn't exist, which is great for them but saying it doesn't exist, and believing it doesn't exist doesn't actually make it so.

Interesting point.
You've lived your life subconsciously assuming that when someone refers to a person/human they automatically mean white, and anyone who isn't white is labelled by their race. Your whiteness hasn't had to be questioned, pointed out, or even identified because it is the default.
My blackness for example is always identified, pointed out, described - this is why we have things like 'Black History Month' when really it should just be History.

This is just one example out of many, when I say it's difficult for someone who isn't a person of colour to understand. You may take that negatively or as me being spearing but it's just a fact of life.

Thank you for your honesty, and yes it's a pretty uncomfortable conversation in general, but at least we are having it at all. I can't speak for others, but I do feel I'm at least learning something and trying to understand is at least a step forward.

I have a genuine question, since I have no idea what is right or wrong in this area, but in your opinion should there be such a thing as white guilt? As in this woman have labelled all white people as pretty much being guilty from birth, is that really what the fight against racism is for? I ask because @Kentonio above has rightly pointed out that black people walk around every day of their lives being reminded of the colour of their skin, it just seems to me that's the fight right there, stopping the ridiculous notion of skin colour making a difference at all. Maybe that's my ignorance being a white man growing up in a very multicultural area and never seeing real serious racism, it's just very confusing what exactly we are supposed to think and be fighting for.

That article talks about a lack of black women getting into university. It then goes on to say how the number of applicants is far fewer than white applicants. As I argued before, I think class/culture is more to blame. Take a look at this article on why Oxford has so few black students, and you'll see that it's more a class problem than a race problem.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politic...xford-has-so-few-black-students-and-who-blame

The problem is that people from disadvantaged areas, or those who haven't got a private education find it harder. It's not really an issue of race as such, although this might be reflected in the numbers attending. However as any statistics student would tell you, statistical disparity does not necessarily mean discrimination. What it does show however is a class divide, which as I argued before is more rooted in culture.

As for the second part, I'd never try and argue that racism is over and we're into "the last few hoorahs". Racism will likely never go away fully, what I don't see however is racism reflected in the system to a large enough degree that it stops black people, or people of any race from leading a successful life. There is literally no limit to what you can achieve, and I think those who fall short are sometimes too quick to place that blame on an invisible, systemic issue rather than look at themselves.

You dismissed the report on the systemic and structural racism that takes place in these disadvantaged areas because everything you're saying goes back to that argument.
You can't talk about the lack of applicants to job positions, without addressing why, specifically it's only people of colour who have difficulty getting enough applicants.

Harvard economist Roland Fryer has shown, it’s because black applicants lack the very specific skills to get the better job—and that’s because communities of color are woefully undereducated in underperforming schools.

For decades you've had local and national governments who haven't adequately supported schools which are in spaces which are inhabited by people of colour. In America you've got generations of black women specifically who have had to raise their children alone because of the War On Drugs, headlined by the Nixon, Reagan & Clinton campaigns.

https://www.aclu.org/other/drug-war-new-jim-crow
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/23/p...chard-nixon-drug-war-blacks-hippie/index.html
https://news.vice.com/story/the-war-on-drugs-remains-as-racist-as-ever-statistics-show

Compare that with the opiod crisis in recent years - which primarily affects poor working class white people - and you're not seeing the FBI and police rounding up these addicts and sending them to prison for 15+ years.
But they did it to the crack cocaine addicts - who are primarily working class black people.
What you then have is at least 2 generations of kids who grew up with only one parent, and that one parent who may have had dreams of pursuing a college education, having to put a halt to that and end up on welfare/low income job in order to pay the bills for her and her kid(s).

Another point:

For decades, the practice of “redlining”—banks and realtors “encouraging” blacks not to move into white neighborhoods—perpetuated segregation and urban blight. And even when overt race-based policies were abandoned, majority-POC neighborhoods were locked in cycles of crime, under-education, and neglect by “neutral” policies regarding public housing, zoning, business permitting, and highway development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_segregation_in_the_United_States
http://www.npr.org/2017/05/03/52665...-of-how-the-u-s-government-segregated-america
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/10/housing-discrimination-redlining-maps/

So even if you are a person of colour and you tried to move out, you will have been stopped by the bank not giving you a loan because they were encouraged to continue the segregation - so you're essentially stuck.

Today African-American incomes on average are about 60 percent of average white incomes. But African-American wealth is about 5 percent of white wealth. Most middle-class families in this country gain their wealth from the equity they have in their homes. So this enormous difference between a 60 percent income ratio and a 5 percent wealth ratio is almost entirely attributable to federal housing policy implemented through the 20th century.

African-American families that were prohibited from buying homes in the suburbs in the 1940s and '50s and even into the '60s, by the Federal Housing Administration, gained none of the equity appreciation that whites gained. So ... the Daly City development south of San Francisco or Levittown or any of the others in between across the country, those homes in the late 1940s and 1950s sold for about twice national median income. They were affordable to working-class families with an FHA or VA mortgage. African-Americans were equally able to afford those homes as whites but were prohibited from buying them. Today those homes sell for $300,000 [or] $400,000 at the minimum, six, eight times national median income. ...

So in 1968 we passed the Fair Housing Act that said, in effect, "OK, African-Americans, you're now free to buy homes in Daly City or Levittown" ... but it's an empty promise because those homes are no longer affordable to the families that could've afforded them when whites were buying into those suburbs and gaining the equity and the wealth that followed from that.

The white families sent their children to college with their home equities; they were able to take care of their parents in old age and not depend on their children. They're able to bequeath wealth to their children. None of those advantages accrued to African-Americans, who for the most part were prohibited from buying homes in those suburbs.

So even though laws have changed, you've got the hangover that people of colour are still having to play catch up, meanwhile as a white person you're more likely to have had at least some form of generational equity build up from your grandparents or parents that would have afforded you more luxuries such as sending your kids to school

There's so much to unpack here, i'm only being brief because i'm meant to be at work.

But I don't agree with you that systemic and institionalised racism doesn't exist. We can agree to disagree because I don't really have any need to try and convince you otherwise.

Thank you for your honesty, and yes it's a pretty uncomfortable conversation in general, but at least we are having it at all. I can't speak for others, but I do feel I'm at least learning something and trying to understand is at least a step forward.

I have a genuine question, since I have no idea what is right or wrong in this area, but in your opinion should there be such a thing as white guilt? As in this woman have labelled all white people as pretty much being guilty from birth, is that really what the fight against racism is for? I ask because @Kentonio above has rightly pointed out that black people walk around every day of their lives being reminded of the colour of their skin, it just seems to me that's the fight right there, stopping the ridiculous notion of skin colour making a difference at all. Maybe that's my ignorance being a white man growing up in a very multicultural area and never seeing real serious racism, it's just very confusing what exactly we are supposed to think and be fighting for.

I'm not in a position to tell white people what they should or should not feel, I wouldn't want to either.
White guilt is a very individual emotion and I don't think it's defining either - I think on one hand it's great to feel that some people feel emphatic towards you, on the other hand - I personally wouldn't want someone else to have to feel even a small amount of what its like having to live with racism every day.
It really does become like a trauma that you have to keep reliving every day.

So no I wouldn't want white people to feel guilty at all.
Also I'm proud of my race, I've had to defend it all my life against every type of attack, the last thing I'd want is to not be associated with being black or black culture.

I just think that a lot of white people aren't used to being described as white people, you've had the luxury of being the default human, the default person - I think when more white people are comfortable being addressed as white, that can start to shift the mentality and openly talk about racism.
Right now this 'all lives matter', and 'we are all part of the human race' approach just doesn't work - because historically, people of colour have been uniquely identified.

In terms of what we're fighting for, it's always been the same things - the systems that have allowed generations of minorities to be segregated and treated differently. I believe it's getting better, and I'm seeing more representation particularly of black women, which has always been important to me for obvious reasons, but we're still battling.
When I see people speaking up against racism like the lady in the original article I can relate, because I know the pain and sometimes the trauma - especially if you're in a predominantly white space.

I'm not in a position to tell white people what they should or should not feel, I wouldn't want to either.
White guilt is a very individual emotion and I don't think it's defining either - I think on one hand it's great to feel that some people feel emphatic towards you, on the other hand - I personally wouldn't want someone else to have to feel even a small amount of what its like having to live with racism every day.
It really does become like a trauma that you have to keep reliving every day.

So no I wouldn't want white people to feel guilty at all.
Also I'm proud of my race, I've had to defend it all my life against every type of attack, the last thing I'd want is to not be associated with being black or black culture.

This is really something that has made me think. Of all the things said in this and other threads, it's perhaps the most elegant way anyone has explained this. Thank you.

I just think that a lot of white people aren't used to being described as white people, you've had the luxury of being the default human, the default person - I think when more white people are comfortable being addressed as white, that can start to shift the mentality and openly talk about racism.

Well as I've tried to explain to a newbie who has pm'd me, we are all from different circumstances. I've always been described as the white one among some of my friends. It's not a comparison of course, it just is what I personally grew up with and luckily for me, rarely has it been used in a negative way. That's one way I guess I'm fortunate for the colour of my skin.

Right now this 'all lives matter', and 'we are all part of the human race' approach just doesn't work - because historically, people of colour have been uniquely identified.

But shouldn't this still be the goal despite hardships? You say it hasn't worked, but clearly we are moving forward in some way. Even having this discussing is proof of that no? Maybe not fast enough, maybe not in the right areas, that I can completely agree with. I'm just not sure what the alternative is.

In terms of what we're fighting for, it's always been the same things - the systems that have allowed generations of minorities to be segregated and treated differently. I believe it's getting better, and I'm seeing more representation particularly of black women, which has always been important to me for obvious reasons, but we're still battling.
When I see people speaking up against racism like the lady in the original article I can relate, because I know the pain and sometimes the trauma - especially if you're in a predominantly white space.

I can understand why that is the case, really. But the fact here is this woman has spoke up about racism using what is by definition racist language. As I've said before, that is the truth otherwise she would have a seriously strong case for unfair dismissal. And no, I'm not saying she personally offended me, and I'm in no way trying to compare this to anything at all, that would clearly be stupid. Nor am I denying white privilege or the ongoing fight with racism, I'm not claiming white people have or will ever suffer because of the colour of our skin like black people have, nor am I saying I can ever truly understand. What I am saying, is that it's not perhaps the best way to highlight what she has tried to, by using what at best could be described as controversial language, at worst is racism.

I could well be wrong, but it just doesn't seem like the way to bring this to attention. It seems counterproductive and just feeds the hate on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.