L'Oreal sack first transgender model for racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really something that has made me think. Of all the things said in this and other threads, it's perhaps the most elegant way anyone has explained this. Thank you.

Well as I've tried to explain to a newbie who has pm'd me, we are all from different circumstances. I've always been described as the white one among some of my friends. It's not a comparison of course, it just is what I personally grew up with and luckily for me, rarely has it been used in a negative way. That's one way I guess I'm fortunate for the colour of my skin.

But shouldn't this still be the goal despite hardships? You say it hasn't worked, but clearly we are moving forward in some way. Even having this discussing is proof of that no? Maybe not fast enough, maybe not in the right areas, that I can completely agree with. I'm just not sure what the alternative is.

I can understand why that is the case, really. But the fact here is this woman has spoke up about racism using what is by definition racist language. As I've said before, that is the truth otherwise she would have a seriously strong case for unfair dismissal. And no, I'm not saying she personally offended me, and I'm in no way trying to compare this to anything at all, that would clearly be stupid. Nor am I denying white privilege or the ongoing fight with racism, I'm not claiming white people have or will ever suffer because of the colour of our skin like black people have, nor am I saying I can ever truly understand. What I am saying, is that it's not perhaps the best way to highlight what she has tried to, by using what at best could be described as controversial language, at worst is racism.

I could well be wrong, but it just doesn't seem like the way to bring this to attention. It seems counterproductive and just feeds the hate on both sides.

You said you grew up in a diverse multicultural environment didn't you? I think that's one of the best ways to experience life personally, I've never had a racial problem with people who came from diverse environments.

I don't think All Lives Matter'ing our way through is the solution - I think that ignores the main problem in favour of a comfortable truth. In the long term its the solution, but in the immediate present telling ourselves that we are all part of the human race ignores the marginalised communities who are treated differently.

I'm not really defending her choice of words, any time you generalise a group of people negatively you're of course going to get backlash - I'm just saying that I emphathise with having to deal with racism in a predominantly white space.
The modelling world has a history of racism, the whole idea of beauty is centered around white people, white skin and 'white' features - even recently when traditionally 'black' features like bigger lips, bigger bum's etc have been trendy, where as previously they weren't desirable - it's still fronted by a white face.
And considering she did this on her facebook account and just had a rant - I personally don't really think it's worth all the backlash

An MP referred to niggers in a woodpile just the other month, and she still has her job. Cheryle Cole called a woman a 'little black bitch' and proceeded to cause GBH, and she still has her job with L'Oreal.
So forgive me if I don't believe the chips fall in the same way for everybody.

You said you grew up in a diverse multicultural environment didn't you? I think that's one of the best ways to experience life personally, I've never had a racial problem with people who came from diverse environments.

I don't think All Lives Matter'ing our way through is the solution - I think that ignores the main problem in favour of a comfortable truth. In the long term its the solution, but in the immediate present telling ourselves that we are all part of the human race ignores the marginalised communities who are treated differently.

I'm not really defending her choice of words, any time you generalise a group of people negatively you're of course going to get backlash - I'm just saying that I emphathise with having to deal with racism in a predominantly white space.
The modelling world has a history of racism, the whole idea of beauty is centered around white people, white skin and 'white' features - even recently when traditionally 'black' features like bigger lips, bigger bum's etc have been trendy, where as previously they weren't desirable - it's still fronted by a white face.
And considering she did this on her facebook account and just had a rant - I personally don't really think it's worth all the backlash

An MP referred to niggers in a woodpile just the other month, and she still has her job. Cheryle Cole called a woman a 'little black bitch' and proceeded to cause GBH, and she still has her job with L'Oreal.

Cole was acquitted of racially aggravated assault 14 years ago! What does that have to do with anything?

No, they don't. That is undeniable and if it means anything at all to you, that is exactly what I'll be teaching my boys when the time is right.

That although everyone is equal, everyone is not treated equally. And we should understand and fight against that no matter what. Then perhaps, though we'll never forget the horrible past, we may be free of it.

Again, thank you.

No, they don't. That is undeniable and if it means anything at all to you, that is exactly what I'll be teaching my boys when the time is right.

That although everyone is equal, everyone is not treated equally. And we should understand and fight against that no matter what. Then perhaps, though we'll never forget the horrible past, we may be free of it.

Again, thank you.
Often when I read @vi1lain coming into threads like these, I want to block her because I find her starting points so dismissive and anti-discussion.
(note, I'm a insanely active user of the block button because of mental illness and how easy I am to wind up because of it)

But then she starts to discuss stuff and I start to enjoy reading it way too much whether I agree or not, so I forget about it until the next time, and the next time i just wait for her to start discussing. :D
Great poster when she goes in for it.

I agree with what shes saying, Great Britain, France, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, all benefited by enslaving "lesser" or what they saw as lesser races.

So did the Islamic countries in East Africa and Asia, whose slave trade went on for far longer than the Atlantic slave trade, and enslaved and killed far more people (including over a million white Europeans). But this trans person won't mention that. I wonder why.

It annoys me when people think (or pretend) that only white people have been guilty of or the beneficiaries of slavery and colonialism throughout history.

Last edited:
I see where she's coming from and it's awkwardly put for sure. Not sure it warrants this backlash though, there's something inherently trivial when white people complain about racism. It's a bit like men complaining about sexism.

Again, thank you.

This is important, and mirrors the way my parents bought me up as well, I'm sure your boys will understand your message clearly and be better men for it. :)

Often when I read @vi1lain coming into threads like these, I want to block her because I find her starting points so dismissive and anti-discussion.
(note, I'm a insanely active user of the block button because of mental illness and how easy I am to wind up because of it)

But then she starts to discuss stuff and I start to enjoy reading it way too much whether I agree or not, so I forget about it until the next time, and the next time i just wait for her to start discussing. :D

:lol: Wouldn't be surprised if you're not the only one who feels that way! But thank you for the kind words :)

I see where she's coming from and it's awkwardly put for sure. Not sure it warrants this backlash though, there's something inherently trivial when white people complain about racism. It's a bit like men complaining about sexism.

Men:
- 77% of homicide victims
- 93% of work fatalities
- 81% of all war deaths
- 80% of suicides
- 165% more likely to be convicted of a crime
- 70% of the homeless population
- 40% of severe domestic violence is against men yet 99.3% of domestic violence shelter space is for women.

Nothing to complain about, gotcha. I'd never say that black people are not discriminated against in the justice system etc but to say men have nothing to complain about really is pretty dumb. White, black, man, woman.. You are entitled to call out unfairness when you see it.

@Redlambs echoes most of my thoughts here to be honest, but @vi1lain has also made some really good points, which have opened my eyes.

I'm a 30 year old white male. I have had an easy life (relatively speaking, i had to watch Moyes United in HD) and can't even comprehend some of the hardships whole races, creeds, groups of people have faced over history - and it seems absolutely tragic to me especially that it wasn't that long ago that peoples pigment in their skin dictated what class of citizen they were. I've been brought up in South East London, i've played sport in my youth with black, white, asian (etc etc) kids, and I spend many an afternoon or weekend round friends houses experiencing their culture, food (although at 11 I wish i hadn't experienced Jerk Chicken, i cried for about an hour). I would consider myself to definitely not be racist.

But, I know racism exists. I know horrible racist people exist. I know horrible people full stop exist. It all makes me feel a little helpless, there is so much injustice and hate in this world, even when we should be the most connected.

But, the only thing I know to do is raise my boys right. Teach them that everyone is equal, and they treat them as such. Teach them to never use their heritage, their skin colour or financial situation (or anything else) as an excuse or reason for anything.

But in no way am I going to teach my kids that because they are white, they are racist and the problem. That's pathetic and it's not helping the situation which does exist.

What else can I do?

Men:
- 77% of homicide victims
- 93% of work fatalities
- 81% of all war deaths
- 80% of suicides
- 165% more likely to be convicted of a crime
- 70% of the homeless population
- 40% of severe domestic violence is against men yet 99.3% of domestic violence shelter space is for women.

Nothing to complain about, gotcha. I'd never say that black people are not discriminated against in the justice system etc but to say men have nothing to complain about really is pretty dumb. White, black, man, woman.. You are entitled to call out unfairness when you see it.

Eh? Is this for real? Apart from the bottom one (can you link the source), none of those stats have anything to do with sexism. You are just proving my point.

She said something very stupid and very racist in a moment when she was upset. Since then she's tried to justify it arguing about institutionalised racism and sexism, which if she'd discussed alone would perfectly acceptable. Now she's justifying her initial racist comment by claiming 'if you're not a white person who fights against racism that happens in the world then you're part of the racist problem', which is a little absurd.

Essentially as the face of a big brand she's said something publically that said big brand wants to wash it's hands of.

White liberals on this thread maybe trying to understand her perspective but I don't think most black people will have much sympathy for her. My Nigerian fiance doesn't and said she's a racist idiot, insulting to the white woman who was killed protesting against fascists, divisive and she deserved the sack.

The model was on BBC on Victoria Derbyshire.

Attention whoring and playing the matyr here. 'Having you contacted the police about these death threats'. "No why would I they happen every 5 seconds". The online abuse sounds plausible. Her receiving heavy breathing calls on her phone, less so, who's calling her. And complaining about racial abuse on TV but not going to the police because of the harrassment makes no sense other than her craving attention.

We'll probably make significant headways with regards to racial equality once people understand that racism goes far beyond words, and learn to not take offense at suggestions that they implicitly benefit from structural inequalities.

Not holding my breath through, reading this thread.

This is important, and mirrors the way my parents bought me up as well, I'm sure your boys will understand your message clearly and be better men for it. :)

:lol: Wouldn't be surprised if you're not the only one who feels that way! But thank you for the kind words :)

:) See, I knew every thread on here didn't have to end up the same way.

Anyway, it looks like the argumentative ones are in, so it's time to leave it on a happy thought. I feel I have learned something though, thanks all.

@vi1lain I was just hoping to get your thoughts on something I often think about especially in race/sexism conversation. I hope I don't come across offensive at any point, I'm not always too eloquent and can stumble on words sometimes!

But anyway, I see often that feminists and POC will often use phrases that seem to lump all white people and all men together into one oppressive group and when it gets questioned we (white men) are often told "well if it doesn't apply to you then you should know well enough that we aren't referring to you" despite the words literally saying that. It grates even more when people then get picked up on and torn apart about microagressions which often weren't intended to be offensive. Now obviously I understand that white men in general shouldn't complain about being generalised but it can seem a big double standard to people who feel like they now have to pick their words very carefully to have other groups just lump their group together as one.

Obviously I know in the grand scheme of things it's such a minor thing to be worried about but it can really be a turn off to otherwise well intentioned people who then feel like a divide has been made between them, when before they had good intentions of being supportive to the movement. I see it often as well when guys will try and discuss it with women l, especially on Facebook, and as soon as anything is said that the women disagree with they get shut down as mansplaining and hounded out. I know a lot of the time there are people out on the WUM but I've seen so many well intentioned people lost from the cause to this too.

With the white privilege thing too, no doubt white people and POC in the west at equal levels will get treated differently, but I think again people lose sight of the individuals involved and that you need to win individuals over and not whole groups at a time. I understand now I'm older that I'm in a privileged position relatively but if someone had told me how privileged I was when I got the grades to go to a private school and wasn't able to because my family was too poor I probably wouldn't have taken it in the way it's intended at all.

The tldr version I guess is that at times I feel like these social movements aren't doing themselves any favours and could benefit from a change in dialogue sometimes, and was wondering what your perspective on that is as someone who is clearly very invested in it.

@vi1lain I was just hoping to get your thoughts on something I often think about especially in race/sexism conversation. I hope I don't come across offensive at any point, I'm not always too eloquent and can stumble on words sometimes!

But anyway, I see often that feminists and POC will often use phrases that seem to lump all white people and all men together into one oppressive group and when it gets questioned we (white men) are often told "well if it doesn't apply to you then you should know well enough that we aren't referring to you" despite the words literally saying that. It grates even more when people then get picked up on and torn apart about microagressions which often weren't intended to be offensive. Now obviously I understand that white men in general shouldn't complain about being generalised but it can seem a big double standard to people who feel like they now have to pick their words very carefully to have other groups just lump their group together as one.

Obviously I know in the grand scheme of things it's such a minor thing to be worried about but it can really be a turn off to otherwise well intentioned people who then feel like a divide has been made between them, when before they had good intentions of being supportive to the movement. I see it often as well when guys will try and discuss it with women l, especially on Facebook, and as soon as anything is said that the women disagree with they get shut down as mansplaining and hounded out. I know a lot of the time there are people out on the WUM but I've seen so many well intentioned people lost from the cause to this too.

With the white privilege thing too, no doubt white people and POC in the west at equal levels will get treated differently, but I think again people lose sight of the individuals involved and that you need to win individuals over and not whole groups at a time. I understand now I'm older that I'm in a privileged position relatively but if someone had told me how privileged I was when I got the grades to go to a private school and wasn't able to because my family was too poor I probably wouldn't have taken it in the way it's intended at all.

The tldr version I guess is that at times I feel like these social movements aren't doing themselves any favours and could benefit from a change in dialogue sometimes, and was wondering what your perspective on that is as someone who is clearly very invested in it.

Do you have an example of popular phrases where people say all white people, or all men etc? I know on twitter that 'Men are trash' is common, because - duh.
I don't know of any phrases that lump all white people together or all men together though.

But if we're to talk about the subject broadly - then I guess what you're seeing is some push-back from marginalised members of society who use social media as a way to represent themselves, and give themselves a voice - and in that sense they're not doing these things to do themselves a favour - they're doing these things because this has been common amongst the voices of the unheard - but on social media, you are given a glimpse into the perspective that *insert marginalised community* has had to live with, often for generations, as an outsider. And to be blunt, they're not doing it for you - it's more to do with solidarity and familiarity within that marginalised community.

I'm an active tweeter in Black Twitter and have been for years - and the whole concept of Black Twitter was brought about just from people of the black diaspora whether they're in the US, UK, Africa, Carribbean or dotted around in other places around the world - coming together and finding familiarity amongst things like food, culture, music, growing up - really it could be anything, and from that you create relationships that transcend geography, sexuality, age, culture, language etc. and usually you'll find people are bonding and finding that these thoughts, behaviours, habits, insecurities, memories, experiences that they didn't get a chance to see on media - because there's not been enough representation for PoC in media - can be common, isn't something to be ashamed of, can be something to be proud of.
And for so many people - that reassurance is sometimes all you need to change your mentality which can have a positive effect on you.

To give you an example - I grew up basically around all white people - up until the age of 13 I was the only black girl and one of two black people in my entire school of about 400. I moved at 13 and became 1 of 5 black girls, and 7 black people out of around 700 out of that school.
I never had a boyfriend during school and 6th form - no one ever admitted they had a crush on me, I never got to experience that during my school days - black women aren't seen as desirable. Funnily enough while at university a guy that was in the year above me messaged me on facebook telling me he liked me and wanted to meet up with me - I asked him why he didn't say anything when we used to see each other every day, he said that he didn't know if his friends would make fun of him or not, because they would make fun of guys who had crushes on fat girls, ginger girls, ugly girls etc. I was seen as 'other', and he didn't want to be embarrassed essentially.
All of that is fine, I hold no remorse - without trying to sound stuck up, I know i'm far from ugly and as soon as I went to university there were plenty of guys who were willing to be with me and ironically, white guys love me now.
But the point is when I got to twitter, I found that my story is so common - and that for a lot of the girls who this is common for they suffer from serious self-esteem issues that they have carried through to adulthood, and in grown-up relationships - however through bonding on a platform like twitter you have things like #BlackGirlMagic which celebrates the beauty & achievements of black women in a world that has chosen not to see us as beautiful or worthy enough.

That's just one example - #BlackLivesMatter was birthed from social media, I know there are hashtags for the black and brown representation on twitter, I just can't remember off the top of my head. Of course there's feminism ones too.
I guess the point i'm trying to say is these phrases, groups & communities aren't created online for the approval of those who aren't part of that group/community - they're not trying to themselves a favour or gain approval from outsiders they're speaking to those who can relate to their experiences.
And if you feel offended, it might be a defense mechanism that you immediately go to without even realising it.

As for white privilege, at this point I think it's being deliberately misinterpreted.
The moment you're trying to debunk white privilege based on individual anecdotal instances you're not actually talking about white privilege but rather individual experiences - and what you or I, or a homeless guy or Beyonce go through on an individual level isn't representative of the broad average of what 10's of millions of people go through - it's important not to lose sight of that.
I feel like a lot of people push back on the term 'white privilege' because they immediately think that it means that white people are richer than others, or they don't go through any hardship or difficulty in life - and feel the need to tell their own individual Started From The Bottom story as a way to prove that, that's not the case.
The same applies for any discriminatory action - sexism, racism, homophobia etc.

She said something very stupid and very racist in a moment when she was upset. Since then she's tried to justify it arguing about institutionalised racism and sexism, which if she'd discussed alone would perfectly acceptable. Now she's justifying her initial racist comment by claiming 'if you're not a white person who fights against racism that happens in the world then you're part of the racist problem', which is a little absurd.

Essentially as the face of a big brand she's said something publically that said big brand wants to wash it's hands of.

White liberals on this thread maybe trying to understand her perspective but I don't think most black people will have much sympathy for her. My Nigerian fiance doesn't and said she's a racist idiot, insulting to the white woman who was killed protesting against fascists, divisive and she deserved the sack.

Attention whoring and playing the matyr here. 'Having you contacted the police about these death threats'. "No why would I they happen every 5 seconds". The online abuse sounds plausible. Her receiving heavy breathing calls on her phone, less so, who's calling her. And complaining about racial abuse on TV but not going to the police because of the harrassment makes no sense other than her craving attention.

Do you honestly think contacting the police about online abuse/ threats would make her any safer, likely lead to the apprehension of any of the perpetrators or even be taken seriously by them? If you believe as she does that there is institutional racism within the police force would you be inclined to go to them for help even if you did think there was a chance it would be of any benefit?

If she'd made more digestible remarks about racism would you be talking about what she said or even contemplating the idea of white privilege? Do you believe in white privilege? Does your Nigerian fiance believe in white privilege? Does your Nigerian fiance think racism affects her and if so what does she do about it?

Rightfully sacked for being a dumb, crazy bigot. Which is presumaby not the sort of image they wanted to project when they hired him.

We'll probably make significant headways with regards to racial equality once people understand that racism goes far beyond words, and learn to not take offense at suggestions that they implicitly benefit from structural inequalities.

Not holding my breath through, reading this thread.

My only point is that "benefiting from structural inequalities" doesn't make one racist.

I swear people get some odd rebellious kick through referring to trans people by their former gender. As if they're fighting against the PC brigade, rather than just ignorantly attacking a minority.

I imagine it's the same spirit that lead our dear departed member to tell 'faggots' to stop being so precious.

I swear people get some odd rebellious kick through referring to trans people by their former gender. As if they're fighting against the PC brigade, rather than just ignorantly attacking a minority.

I imagine it's the same spirit that lead our dear departed member to tell 'faggots' to stop being so precious.

The replies to any tweet by Chelsea Manning is basically people doing *her *him ad infinitum.

The replies to any tweet by Chelsea Manning is basically people doing *her *him ad infinitum.
I suppose picking a weak target and pretending it's a great enemy appeals to many.

Anyway - this should be a thread about race. I can see no relevance to her being trans.

Who was this? In which thread?

My bad guys, genuinely thought she was transitioning the other way.

Fair enough. I'm sceptical that the person earlier in the thread who kept switching between the two made the mistake, mind.
Don't think I've mentioned either of him/her, but if I ever do, I'll surely feck it up because my focus and memory are both useless. No intent on childish insults on those things from me if you or others see it in the future.

Don't think I've mentioned either of him/her, but if I ever do, I'll surely feck it up because my focus and memory are both useless. No intent on childish insults on those things from me if you or others see it in the future.
No, I wouldn't expect such from yourself.

I agree with what shes saying, Great Britain, France, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, all benefited by enslaving "lesser" or what they saw as lesser races.
Sure we did as the moors, black Africans, romans, Turks, etc, at the end every race was involved in slave trading and only the more organized nations stayed on top.

@vi1lain thanks for your detailed reply, I don't really have too much to add if I'm honest, I don't wade into this sort of thing often as I'm not a great debater or anything like that, but I do like to read about people's experiences to be more empathetic to others struggles so I'm sure I'll reread your post a few times over! I just didn't want you to think if I hadn't come back to you I'd ignored it!

Status
Not open for further replies.