Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why people think he will play in midfield, he hasn't done it in 2 years and even when he did he never excelled in that position.

De Ligt is far better than Maguire and also better than Martinez. I've seen a lot of both and De Ligt is another level. De Ligt is better than Timber as well.
Ehem that's why he was a reserve of a 37 year old Chiellini. He had great potential, didn't reach it yet.

Not sure about “we”, but expanding the net slightly Puyol, Cannavaro, Baresi, Koeman, Beckenbaur and Bobby Moore weren’t too shabby.

Some of the best to ever play the game, and mostly in a more rough and tumble era. Also, Roberto Ayala says hello.

Not sure about “we”, but expanding the net slightly Puyol, Cannavaro, Baresi, Koeman, Beckenbaur and Bobby Moore weren’t too shabby.

Oh I can add more to that. Having said that none of them play with United and in the EPL did they? EPL football is still very physical and too reliant on crosses.

Not sure why people think he will play in midfield, he hasn't done it in 2 years and even when he did he never excelled in that position.
This is my least favourite aspect of this board, endless discussions on how we can play players out of position. We're bloody signing a player, if we sign a CB, we want a CB, if we wanted a CDM, we would have signed a CDM. Give your fecking heads a shake lads.

This is my least favourite aspect of this board, endless discussions on how we can play players out of position. We're bloody signing a player, if we sign a CB, we want a CB, if we wanted a CDM, we would have signed a CDM. Give your fecking heads a shake lads.

My point exactly, perhaps we are struggling to find a good dutch DM so we are out of options, wonder if we can convince them that Tielemans has a dual nationality :drool:

I’m excited to sign Martinez but I know a lot of people are downplaying his height, but we can’t abandon all physical aspects of the premier league. Even though tall strikers are fewer nowadays, don’t forget you still have very tall defenders who are a huge threat at set pieces and corners. Set pieces is a big part of the premier league.

We can’t start lining up every week with a team full of average heights.

If we look at our potential lineup for this season as it stands, we will have some games where it will be:

De Gea

Dalot
Varane
Martinez
Malacia

De jong
Eriksen
Bruno

Sancho
Rashford/Martial
Elanga

Defending set pieces will be a nightmare having only Varane with any significant height. We are already terrible at defending corners and set pieces when we have a GK who refuses to come for anything aerially. So that puts all the burden on the outfield players to win the physical battles.

I’m all for Martinez, but I’m still concerned how we deal with set pieces. Especially as we have potentially lost Pogba, Matic, Maguire, Ronaldo and McTominay from our primary starting line up.

Man City is not a good comparison. They could field a team full of small players and still be ok because they are a team that concedes the least shots and corners against them in the league because most teams can’t even get into their final 3rd.
It’s a concern when you consider the likes of Liverpool have konate and VVD popping up for corners, now Nunez too

but should we get Martinez I’m sure that there will be a plan to address areas like that. ten Hag surely must be aware

Ehem that's why he was a reserve of a 37 year old Chiellini. He had great potential, didn't reach it yet.
He never was a reserve? Played the most matches and has the best stats of any Juventus defender, but keep dreaming.

I went on Arsenal Mania to see what they thought of the links

But I quickly went through about 10 pages of everyone thinking he was a left back

De Ligt may have been a reserve for the odd game, but never was a sub for a long time. Italians dont sub their legends fast either. De Ligt may have had his ups and down (very strange for a 20-22 y/o), but was still seen as their best defender most of the time. I agree he has not reached his full potential yet. Which is actually more a positive than a negative.

No, you’re quite right, Baresi and Beckenbaur never proved they could do it on a wet Wednesday evening in Stoke.

I have been following the Serie A for 30+ years. I remember Baresi playing live and he was my favourite CB of his era

Serie A football, especially at the time, was the most technical football around. That suited Baresi greatly. The Serie A protected (and still protects) goalkeepers more then the EPL which means that if a striker and a goalkeeper clash then 90% of the time the referee would call for a foul. That means that crosses were far less efficient in the Serie A then in the EPL and most of the action occurred in the middle of the pitch. I am not suggesting that Martinez will be a failure. From what I read he's got a freakish elevation which makes him half decent in air despite his small size. However my argument still stand. There's a very valid reason why all our top CBs from Pally to Johnsen right to Stam, Rio and Vidic were all 6ft+.

I also have this feeling that he would be used as a holding midfielder/anchor and that we'll try to sign Timber in January or next year.

Last edited:
I’m excited to sign Martinez but I know a lot of people are downplaying his height, but we can’t abandon all physical aspects of the premier league. Even though tall strikers are fewer nowadays, don’t forget you still have very tall defenders who are a huge threat at set pieces and corners. Set pieces is a big part of the premier league.

We can’t start lining up every week with a team full of average heights.

If we look at our potential lineup for this season as it stands, we will have some games where it will be:

De Gea

Dalot
Varane
Martinez
Malacia

De jong
Eriksen
Bruno

Sancho
Rashford/Martial
Elanga

Defending set pieces will be a nightmare having only Varane with any significant height. We are already terrible at defending corners and set pieces when we have a GK who refuses to come for anything aerially. So that puts all the burden on the outfield players to win the physical battles.

I’m all for Martinez, but I’m still concerned how we deal with set pieces. Especially as we have potentially lost Pogba, Matic, Maguire, Ronaldo and McTominay from our primary starting line up.

Man City is not a good comparison. They could field a team full of small players and still be ok because they are a team that concedes the least shots and corners against them in the league because most teams can’t even get into their final 3rd.

Why do you think Eriksen and Bruno will play together? That midfield you wrote is suicide even against relegation zone teams. They'll both be competing for the #10 role.

Sounds like a perfect exit strategy, claim too much to get out of the move.

To be honest I think he be a top signing for both of us. Strong character with leadership qualities is exactly what we both need.
Not sure if there is a need for exit strategy. Ajax has yet accept arsenal's offer. There is always a chance player prefer other destination just like Vlahovic, and a player also cost too much Edu may not be want to meet the asking price.

I went on Arsenal Mania to see what they thought of the links

But I quickly went through about 10 pages of everyone thinking he was a left back
Yeah think arsenal fans are suggesting thats where hed have to play for them. They already have Gabriel as the left footed CB to partner white.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to sign a left back?
As per report Arteta wants a versatile player who can play LB and also cover LCB and DM if necessary. Tierney was the starter for LB when he was healthy last season, but he missed a lot of games. There is rumor Edu is looking at Grimaldo as option for around 7M.

Well I'd bet my shirt that he isn't coming to United as a LB, considering we have Shaw & Malacia, and still Telles & Williams.
As for CB, in my opinion, there is just no way that Maguire, club captain and £80m signing is being dropped, I see absolutely no chance of that happening to Varane either.
So does that mean that Martinez is just another squad player? Someone that allows us to sell Bailly or Jones?

Well I'd bet my shirt that he isn't coming to United as a LB, considering we have Shaw & Malacia, and still Telles & Williams.
As for CB, in my opinion, there is just no way that Maguire, club captain and £80m signing is being dropped, I see absolutely no chance of that happening to Varane either.
So does that mean that Martinez is just another squad player? Someone that allows us to sell Bailly or Jones?
3 at the back with Martinez in the middle as a DM / CB hybrid with De Jong and Eriksen in front of him.
People on here love Rice and that’s where he would basically be since he drops back so much

Hes not a CM or a LB.
Hel be a CB for us. And I think the first CB on the team sheet.

Martinez is not just another CB, he is a left footed CB which means that if Varane or Maguire continues to be injured or off form that a left footed CB is there to take their places in their position.

However at the same time I believe Martinez is coming due to his versatility as both a CB and CDM.

He will be our 2nd CDM of the squad defensively aka the CB/CDM hybrid.

As per report Arteta wants a versatile player who can play LB and also cover LCB and DM if necessary. Tierney was the starter for LB when he was healthy last season, but he missed a lot of games. There is rumor Edu is looking at Grimaldo as option for around 7M.
Fair enough. He’s not looking to go 3 at the back?

You really haven’t paid attention to juve these past few years haven’t you?

Oh I can add more to that. Having said that none of them play with United and in the EPL did they? EPL football is still very physical and too reliant on crosses.
You can't seriously be trying to suggest that the Premier League is more physical than the old Division 1 that Bobby Moore played in?

You can't seriously be trying to suggest that the Premier League is more physical than the old Division 1 that Bobby Moore played in?

I wasn't even born when Bobby Moore played football in Division 1

Or we play 5 at the back..... a bit like this:

Sancho Bruno Eriksen
FDJ Fred
Shaw Martinez Maguire Varane Dalot

Disclaimer: This is not me advocating this!

He is physical and has good success in aerial duels. Not sure what people want a tall centre back door of its not to win aerial and ground duels which by all accounts he excels at.

I was against the Timber move because although he’s small, he’s also rubbish in the air. Martinez is shorter but can hold his own in the air, very aggressive but has really unique technical qualities for a defender.

As others have said, heading clearances are a small proportion of defensive actions in the modern game with better teams favouring cut backs. But Ajax had really good set pieces last year with him, Timber and Blind in the team so there’s clearly strategies teams can implement to remove that vulnerability.

Why do you think Eriksen and Bruno will play together? That midfield you wrote is suicide even against relegation zone teams. They'll both be competing for the #10 role.
The point still stands though. Even if you replace Eriksen with Fred. He’s even shorter. DVB isn’t tall or physical. Mctominay is, but is below Fred in the pecking order. We are still looking at a situation where Varane is our only height.

Status
Not open for further replies.