6.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Himself and Casemiro are the key players in the defensive third for us on the ball and without the ball. And both were very good again in a game where both teams looked to win high regains.

I love him. The only thing that winds me up is that passes back to De Gea too much.

You're just not surprised at such flawless games from Licha anymore because that's his level.

Best CB in the league for me.

EtH before the game on why Lisandro came into the team:

"I think Ty played last week, a good game as well, but Licha gives you so much belief in the team, also with that fighting spirit; that is very useful."

Exactly this

Interesting fact #1: Lewy might be not be able to walk the next 2 days
Interesting fact #2: Martinez finished the game without a yellow card.

That's how it's done.

Unbelievable transfer, really. I can't say he was even close to being on my radar before we bought him, but now he looks like one of the best players in Europe in his position. So aggressive in the defense, yet so smooth on the ball, and the mentality he brings to the team is amazing.

With him, Bruno, Varane and Casemiro we have a bunch of winners with great mentality to go along with some of the more inexperienced youngsters. Really liking the dynamic in the squad.

Interesting fact #1: Lewy might be not be able to walk the next 2 days
Interesting fact #2: Martinez finished the game without a yellow card.

That's how it's done.
I wonder about the same fact almost every game. He's got really nasty side to his game but he's too clever to get away most of ten than not. Such a breath of fresh air in comparison to the "nice guy" like Lindelof. We needed more leaders and aggression in the team, should be a standar pretty much for any position.

I think Ole was trying to find that but too much relied on British players who are lacking the finess and really top level mentality, hopewe can keep recruiting players like that.

I could compliment nearly any aspect of his game endlessly but I just want to post about how beautiful of a passer of the ball he is. It's sometimes a little bit shocking to watch I don't mean this as a needless dig to Maguire but having been told for so long that he was a "ball playing centre back" the difference is night and day.

His pass to Luka Shaw was crazy good and it's not the only time he did that either. It's like having Beckham pinging crosses from the back

Give him a 10 year deal before they get banned. I never want to see this man at another club.

I could compliment nearly any aspect of his game endlessly but I just want to post about how beautiful of a passer of the ball he is. It's sometimes a little bit shocking to watch I don't mean this as a needless dig to Maguire but having been told for so long that he was a "ball playing centre back" the difference is night and day.

Martinez and Maguire are both ball playing centre backs in the same way a Rolls Royce and a horse drawn carriage are both vehicles with four wheels.

What I love about him is his low centre of gravity and positioning when receiving a pass. He opens up his body to give himself options when he has the ball at his feet. Don't notice many defenders like that. Absolute monster.

What an incredible player he is. I will be honest I didn't know this was the level of player we were getting at all when we signed him. Absolute warrior.

Who was the Ajax fan on here who said we would all absolute love Martinez when we signed him. He wasn’t wrong!!

Maybe there's a touch of hyperbole in this assertion but you could legitimately say that Martínez is the best and most assertive passer from centerback position in club history (better than Blind (closest competitor, slightly better in some aspects), Buchan, Ferdinand, old man Blanc, and the likes). Exceedingly hard to press and nimbly recycles the ball at the back, has a keen eye for progressions in the middle range, and some of his long-passing is wonderous (Koeman-esque in terms of penetrative ability, dare I say it). In the last week alone, he was the foundation for two separate United goals (and made additional passes that could have resulted in goals on another day): Rashford's second vs. Leeds, and now Antony's winner vs. Barcelona. Just so intuitive and crisp in terms of processing and release; like a proverbial ace up our sleeve (and he's only getting started, too). And like you pointed out, that's just one facet of his game; there's sooo much to like — his grit, sense of purpose, close-marking, infectious energy, competitive shithousery, swagger, and so forth. :drool:
Who was the Ajax fan on here who said we would all absolute love Martinez when we signed him. He wasn’t wrong!!
Almost all of them, if I recall correctly. :)

But you're probably thinking of @AjaxCunian?

What a hell of a performance. His distribution tonight was so so good but what stood out for me was when he sent Lewondowski flying with that shoulder.

1 nil down at the time and he was setting the standards for everyone else. I.e let's boss these guys of the pitch. Honestly thought he put the fear into Barca with that tackle.

Player of the season for me.

That was pretty much every Ajax fan, the guy is genuinely one of the best CB's in the world.

He's just the complete package. His ball playing ability and passing is just unrivalled at his position and sometimes he looks like he might have the best technique of any player on the pitch, which is just unheard of for a CB.

Maybe there's a touch of hyperbole in this assertion but you could legitimately say that Martínez is the best and most assertive passer from centerback position in club history (better than Blind (closest competitor, slightly better in some aspects), Buchan, Ferdinand, old man Blanc, and the likes). Exceedingly hard to press and nimbly recycles the ball at the back, has a keen eye for progressions in the middle range, and some of his long-passing is wonderous (Koeman-esque in terms of penetrative ability, dare I say it). In the last week alone, he was the foundation for two separate United goals (and made additional passes that could have resulted in goals on another day): Rashford's second vs. Leeds, and now Antony's winner vs. Barcelona. Just so intuitive and crisp in terms of processing and release; like a proverbial ace up our sleeve (and he's only getting started, too). And like you pointed out, that's just one facet of his game; there's sooo much to like — his grit, sense of purpose, close-marking, infectious energy, competitive shithousery, swagger, and so forth. :drool:

Yes, I was one of them. Imagine watching this guy play week after week and having to argue posters about his height..

He is even so dominant in the air, he rarely loses an aerial battle that proceeds to cause danger. Either he wins, or lets you win one that will have us regain the ball anyway. The guy is just brilliant.

He’s a brilliant player. Lots of comparisons with Rio and Ferdinand, but I think there’s a lot of Keane in there, too, in terms of his on-field mentality.

Love how he hits his passes, short and long.
I find it impossible to differentiate if I’m honest :eek:

His passing long and short is like a torpedo. So crisp and so much power behind them.

The best thing about him is it is not just passion , he actually is a damn good player.

I just left OT. Can I add that he was the ONLY single United player who signed autographs and took photos for ALL the fans waiting outside at the carpark side. Took him a while to finish for everyone. What a Class A lad. Everyone gave him a round of applause before he left for his car. On top of a titan performance on the pitch today.

Reactions: sizzling sausages
Status
Not open for further replies.