LGBT issues in Football

Nice people, and what great stadium atmosphere they produce

What a bunch of knuckle draggers. Imagine still having a problem with homosexuality in 2021. Good on Germany for opposing it with the free rainbow flags. (I think they went ahead with that plan?)

Nice people, and what great stadium atmosphere they produce
One of the reasons why I hate Hungarian football. The worst people are the loudest. I know it’s similar in other countries but more painful when “my” people are doing it.

You're getting a bit boring. Do you think I'll be now looking at the map and tracing every single one of them?

The attack, as it was portrayed in the left media, took place in my town for example. Couple of rainbow hair people blocked the entrance to the church. People. Asked them to go aside twice or thrice so it ended up in helping them to step aside. Justified.

There was a protest during which lgbt people devastated the Saint Mary figure. Got a few punches. Justified.

There was an incident when they painted and scream some uneducated f sentences at the national heroes' monuments. Again got beaten up a bit.
Justified.

There were lgbt people painting pussies on religious sacred 'items'. A few knockouts here and there, nothing major.

There have been incidents on blocking entrances to working buildings, streets and I think also a few people helped them to move on. Justified.

Bialystok wasn't justified from what I know but haven't studied it thoroughly. Only just know VanPiorsing reminded me of kononowicz so I googled it and saw him there. Made my day. Or should I say night already? So yes, this is not justified, the guy's beaten just being himself.
Is it just me that don't understand, or do you generally think that people being beaten up is justified? Do you love violence?

While I agree that there should be concenquence if you destroy thing, beating up people is not one of them. I wonder if those who were beating other got any concenquence or was it more like "it is ok when we do it"

Why don't people just care about themself? I can never understand people hating and beating / killing someone who dosn't think or look like them. Generally speaking.

What a bunch of knuckle draggers. Imagine still having a problem with homosexuality in 2021. Good on Germany for opposing it with the free rainbow flags. (I think they went ahead with that plan?)
Yeah, rainbow flags were distributed at the arena entrance.

I'm still not sure why people were cheering Hungary on. Dreadful country at the moment.
You need to be rational. You can’t say a entire country is awful just because you don’t like their political leaders.

They’ve given one of them a fairly decent dick. God loves a hung button but given that it was unnecessary to draw on any penis, the fact they chose to do a fairly long one is interesting from a psychological perspective

You need to be rational. You can’t say a entire country is awful just because you don’t like their political leaders.

Isn’t their political leaders absolutely dominating every election? I’m sure he has his opponents, but it seems like he, and his ideas, are very popular.

I’d love to be corrected on this by someone who knows more than me.

Isn’t their political leaders absolutely dominating every election? I’m sure he has his opponents, but it seems like he, and his ideas, are very popular.

He can absolutely dominate the election with only 50% of votes of even less if the are more than one opposition parties. The system is complicated but the main point is, if Fidesz gets 50%, two other parties get 25+25%, Fidesz win the district. If they win 67% of the districts, they can do anything in the parliament.

In 2018, Fidesz got 48% of the votes, four oppositios parties got 23, 11, 6 and 6%. Fidesz got 133 seats out of 199 in the parliament. That’s why the opponents have to unite in 2022 and nominate only one representative in each district.

"Absolutely dominating" means 49% of all votes at the last general election (so basically 25-30% of the total population). A fragmented opposition plus gerrymandering means it gives them a 67% majority in parliament but it's not that simple.

Also, we're still a very rural country and as you might imagine, the more rural and less educated a person is, the more likely they're to vote for Fidesz. In Budapest, the country's only really big city they get destroyed in every election nowadays.

You're getting a bit boring. Do you think I'll be now looking at the map and tracing every single one of them?

The attack, as it was portrayed in the left media, took place in my town for example. Couple of rainbow hair people blocked the entrance to the church. People. Asked them to go aside twice or thrice so it ended up in helping them to step aside. Justified.

There was a protest during which lgbt people devastated the Saint Mary figure. Got a few punches. Justified.

There was an incident when they painted and scream some uneducated f sentences at the national heroes' monuments. Again got beaten up a bit.
Justified.

There were lgbt people painting pussies on religious sacred 'items'. A few knockouts here and there, nothing major.

There have been incidents on blocking entrances to working buildings, streets and I think also a few people helped them to move on. Justified.

Bialystok wasn't justified from what I know but haven't studied it thoroughly. Only just know VanPiorsing reminded me of kononowicz so I googled it and saw him there. Made my day. Or should I say night already? So yes, this is not justified, the guy's beaten just being himself.
You perfectly illustrated the transition from discrimation to violence, demonstrating why this legislation is so dangerous.

He can absolutely dominate the election with only 50% of votes of even less if the are more than one opposition parties. The system is complicated but the main point is, if Fidesz gets 50%, two other parties get 25+25%, Fidesz win the district. If they win 67% of the districts, they can do anything in the parliament.

In 2018, Fidesz got 48% of the votes, four oppositios parties got 23, 11, 6 and 6%. Fidesz got 133 seats out of 199 in the parliament. That’s why the opponents have to unite in 2022 and nominate only one representative in each district.

"Absolutely dominating" means 49% of all votes at the last general election (so basically 25-30% of the total population). A fragmented opposition plus gerrymandering means it gives them a 67% majority in parliament but it's not that simple.

Also, we're still a very rural country and as you might imagine, the more rural and less educated a person is, the more likely they're to vote for Fidesz. In Budapest, the country's only really big city they get destroyed in every election nowadays.

Thank you both. I had a feeling that saying he is dominating is an oversimplification.

Thank you both. I had a feeling that saying he is dominating is an oversimplification.
Well, he is dominating the country. That's also quite important to note: their financial and institutional advantage over all other political forces is absolutely overwhelming, for a number of reasons.

Also, I'd like to leave this here: Budapest, a day before they voted on the law in question. I'm in the crowd somewhere:

73908499-e1623486268810.jpg

Sounds reminiscent of the political system in the United Kingdom where centre left parties are in the majority but get feck all say in anything.

Finally! Was dead sure Jippy was alluding to that, but was left confused after his reply.
:lol:Sorry, my bad, although a couple of people clocked it.

How come it seems fine to admit to being gay in women's football but not in men's?

Because the game of football itself has nothing to do with discrimination and prejudices? It's the people who play/follow it and their culture, who make it that way. Which I guess is different between the men's and women's game.

How come it seems fine to admit to being gay in women's football but not in men's?

I think it's part of a general trend that lesbian women are more accepted than gay men all over the world

I have no data to back this up, but that's what it seems like to me

I think it's part of a general trend that lesbian women are more accepted than gay men all over the world

I have no data to back this up, but that's what it seems like to me
Yeah, that’s true I think, which is a shame really.

Well, he is dominating the country. That's also quite important to note: their financial and institutional advantage over all other political forces is absolutely overwhelming, for a number of reasons.

Also, I'd like to leave this here: Budapest, a day before they voted on the law in question. I'm in the crowd somewhere:

73908499-e1623486268810.jpg
That's encouraging to see, thank you!

There's the simple fact not many people care. It's not going to generate much interest and therefore players feel more comfortable coming out.

Then, people who do give women's football even a second look tend to be more liberal to begin with.

Last edited:
I reckon today it might have less to do with the dressing room these days and more to sit with not wanting to paint a target on your back for opposition crowds.

I would be pretty confident that there are also a higher percentage of gay female footballers than there are men, strength in numbers.

Hungary seemed a nice place when I visited a couple of years back, I think generalisations about an entire country are stupid— especially when you’re doing so from a supposedly progressive place.

I reckon today it might have less to do with the dressing room these days and more to sit with not wanting to paint a target on your back for opposition crowds.
In Welsh rugby we have the example of Gareth Thomas. Admittedly he didn’t come out until he was retired from the game but since he has he seems to have had nothing but love from the Welsh rugby fans (I’m sure he’ll know of exceptions) and probably more media work, etc, as a result.

I don’t think the backlash would be that bad. There will be very, very few people in the stands who don’t have a gay family member or friend

I don’t think the backlash would be that bad. There will be very, very few people in the stands who don’t have a gay family member or friend
And we all know that people treat their LGBTQ family members with nothing but love and respect. :)

And we all know that people treat their LGBTQ family members with nothing but love and respect. :)

Yeah sure but it has to start somewhere. If a 16 year old kid from a council estate can come out to his Milwall supporting father with tattoos, beer gut and regular rants about ‘woofers on the telly ‘ and go still into school the next day and be proud of who he is then millionaire footballers can do it.

Yeah sure but it has to start somewhere. If a 16 year old kid from a council estate can come out to his Milwall supporting father with tattoos, beer gut and regular rants about ‘woofers on the telly ‘ and go still into school the next day and be proud of who he is then millionaire footballers can do it.
It’s really not that simple.

It’s really not that simple.
It's also a bit... backwards to put the responsibility on the oppressed to end their own oppression. And that's what it always sounds like to me when people are saying that more footballers should come out.

It's also a bit... backwards to put the responsibility on the oppressed to end their own oppression. And that's what it always sounds like to me when people are saying that more footballers should come out.
Precisely. It’s not their fault for not coming out. It’s society’s failure to create an environment where coming out is easy that should be criticised.

But where do you put the responsibility? I mean it makes sense to say homophobic people should stop being homophobic but they won’t. Maybe if they get used to the idea or see more famous people come out they will be more tolerant. Or if not them, then the next generation. I don’t want to say gay footballers have responsibility but they could do something for other LGMTQ people. But it’s their decision, and I’m sure it would be very difficult for them.

But where do you put the responsibility? I mean it makes sense to say homophobic people should stop being homophobic but they won’t. Maybe if they get used to the idea or see more famous people come out they will be more tolerant. Or if not them, then the next generation. I don’t want to say gay footballers have responsibility but they could do something for other LGMTQ people. But it’s their decision, and I’m sure it would be very difficult for them.
I think we should create a society where coming out as homophobic is a distinctly unpleasant experience.

Justified.

This is a horrifying post on every level