Let's all laugh at England (again)

I love the fact that when Scotland whimpered out we took some jibes and sarky comments from England fans. Yeah, yeah, yeah okay, we were utter balls. Just had to accept the banter.

As soon as the shoe is on the other foot? We’re ‘sad’ and ‘pathetic’. Often find most England fans are sound, but a decent amount of them can’t take what they give.

Arrrrrrrribbbaa

87333431-13633635-image-a-88_1720994238625.jpg

Ah well, I think it's what most of us expected, realistically - the team that played the best football in the tournament win. Though it was a bit of a kick in the teeth to get all hopeful so close to the end. We'll be back though - we actually have a hugely promising looking generation or two of footballers coming through - and hopefully Southgate isn't around to mismanage us through another tourney.

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Laugh, laugh against the dying of the light.

Longest major trophy droughts of World Cup winning European nations:

Germany - 18 years

France - 18 years

Italy - 30 years

Spain - 44 years

England - 58 years and counting....

The problem is not the players, a more proactive manager can take this team places.

Just got to get rid of the english Ole.
Comparing a manager who schooled Pep multiple times to a manager who has rarely won a tournament game convincingly is like comparing peak Vardy to Ricky Lambert.

Surely the English created the game of football by pure happenstance. One of the most individualistic worshiping societies coming up with such a fundamentally communal sport. Well, at least for now we won't be inundated with daft calls for anointing Jude fecking Bellingham as the world's best footballer :lol:

Or watched the team play, or heard some of the players speak.
I used to like England. Until mr anti football Southgate came into the picture, his brand of negative football with such talented players, couple with English fans delusion, just makes it very easy to root against them.

Well,

I wont laugh at England, but there are two reasons by I like that England didnt win the Euro's..

1. Obvious.. The style of play.. So much creative talent and quality and such a negative conservative style of play.. That shouldn't be rewarded.. As a neutral fan during the final I was very very happy that Spain was rewarded for their performances with the cup.. The one country which truly deserved to win the Euro's.
2. From a distance I'd like to see the 'Its coming home' obsession grow and grow as '66 becomes longer and longer ago.. That would immediately disappear once you win it again..

Surely the English created the game of football by pure happenstance. One of the most individualistic worshiping societies coming up with such a fundamentally communal sport. Well, at least for now we won't be inundated with daft calls for anointing Jude fecking Bellingham as the world's best footballer :lol:
Fun fact: the original "english way" was to just pick up the ball and run at your opponents and try to dribble everyone. Then the game reached Scotland, and the scottish invented that strange sorcery called "passing the ball to each other". Then they dismantled england in a game and the rest, as they say, is history

Fun fact: the original "english way" was to just pick up the ball and run at your opponents and try to dribble everyone. Then the game reached Scotland, and the scottish invented that strange sorcery called "passing the ball to each other". Then they dismantled england in a game and the rest, as they say, is history
It’s probably an oversimplification, but I’d always read that the individualistic style of play with its focus on dribbling was common at public schools, where association football was first played, but as the sport became more popular among working class people, the focus on passing and teamwork and collective effort became more popular (and far more effective).

Public school teams dominated the FA Cup over its first decade, but then Blackburn Olympic became the first working class team to win it in 1883, and that marked a permanent shift in the game.

I think it’s fair enough not supporting England or not particularly liking them. I think what’s surprising is that some people hate England more than they want to support Utd players. Spain winning almost guarantees Rodri will win the Ballon Dor, a city player ffs. England had Mainoo and Shaw in that final, surely that’s enough for any Utd fan to want them to win above all else. The teams I wanted to win this summer were Portugal (for Bruno and Dalot), England (because I’m English but also for Shaw and Mainoo), Argentina (for Martinez and Garnacho) and Denmark (for Hojland). I do think it’s abit odd people would favour some one sided rivalry over Utd but then I’d always put Utd above anything else so I guess makes sense from my perspective.

England used to get laughed at for failing to qualify for tournaments so I'll take getting laughed at for losing a final to by far the best team in the tournament.

I think it’s fair enough not supporting England or not particularly liking them. I think what’s surprising is that some people hate England more than they want to support Utd players. Spain winning almost guarantees Rodri will win the Ballon Dor, a city player ffs. England had Mainoo and Shaw in that final, surely that’s enough for any Utd fan to want them to win above all else. The teams I wanted to win this summer were Portugal (for Bruno and Dalot), England (because I’m English but also for Shaw and Mainoo), Argentina (for Martinez and Garnacho) and Denmark (for Hojland). I do think it’s abit odd people would favour some one sided rivalry over Utd but then I’d always put Utd above anything else so I guess makes sense from my perspective.

Good point, but when you think about it it's even more baffling that United fans would support England, despite the team being full of their arch rival's players. So I think logic dictates that true fans have to despise the English team. Sorry.

International football is its own thing. It's good to see Spain playing entertaining football again, but (seeing as my own national team never gets anywhere) my alliegances have a tendency to change based on players, style and "entertainment value".

For this reason, supporting England has not been easy, even though it has the most players I support the rest of the year.

I'm inclined to agree that the claim of them inventing it is mostly a false narrative, something they're excellent at.

I don't even think england are hated more than a lot of big nations. We're no big countries main rival. Maybe Argentina hate us. Do Spain, do germany, Italy? They all have teams they hate.

The hate is prominent because of the anglosphere bubble.

At least, england have made those that do hate sweat some pretty big bullets, lately.

feck sake, just once I’d like to laugh at any of the home nations or Ireland losing a final of something

I love the fact that when Scotland whimpered out we took some jibes and sarky comments from England fans. Yeah, yeah, yeah okay, we were utter balls. Just had to accept the banter.

As soon as the shoe is on the other foot? We’re ‘sad’ and ‘pathetic’. Often find most England fans are sound, but a decent amount of them can’t take what they give.

Arrrrrrrribbbaa
Yes, those England fans dish out insults and call it “just banter” but when they are on the receiving end, they get upset and start throwinf hissy fits

Arrrrrrrribbbaa
In fairness it's on a totally different scale. I didn't see any threads created specifically to celebrate Scotland crashing out, nor did every Scotland related thread become almost exclusively vehicles for anti-Scottish pile ons. I mean it's not a big deal - it's just football and much of it is good natured pisstaking - but I don't think the two are comparable.

This isn't as fun as it was at the last Euros :(
Just a neutral opinion on Englands latest glorious defeat.Refences have been made regarding the other home nations of the UK gloating due to englands defeat.I would ask england supporters to consider the following statements and it may explain why the Scottish,Welsh and Irish do not want england to win any sporting event.
1966 ,during any National football competition refences to this are always mentioned.
Before a ball is kicked ,they are planning their route to victory.
English media pundits disregard any other home nations contribution ,which are usually pitiful but still deserving of some recognition as they do not have the massive monetry investment that the english fa have.
It's coming ome?.england claimed that they invented football.When it was proven without a doubt that the Chinese invented football england changed their claim ,they invented the modern game?.With that mentality does that mean that Toshiba invented the TV or British Airways invented flying,i think not.
Now on to the euro 24 final.Spain did not play as well in the final as they had in previous games,but according to the pundits Spain were unbeatable.Another example of arrogance,if england are ever beaten the excuse is either the opposing team were amazing or england were poor on the day,or both.
Finally to all england supporters.Have you ever had the misfortune to have to listen to an arrogant person ( and not a good arrogance whatever that means ) tell you how great they are and how they are better than everyone else.How they deserve to achieve things more than anyone else ,is this ringing any bells yet?.
Now most normal people would get annoyed with this type of person and would ultimately wish for them to fail.Now lets include every media outlet ranting about how this person deserves it more than anyone else and is world class and better than anyone else ,would you support them?.
Back to the england team and media love story and why it is an annoyance to non english people.I have loads of examples,but here is one that was not only shocking but ridiculous.
We have all heard news reports which for some reason or other stick in our minds ,9/11 and Princess Dianes untimely death,both very sad and i can remember what i was doing and where i was when both horrendous events took place.Now lets think back to the euros when england beat Switzerland in the penslty shoot out.The next day i was listening to radio 2 at work and i genuinely thought this was a wind up.Radio 2 had a phone in and the question they asked was ,where were you and what were you doing when england won the penalty shootout .england fans were actually phoning in and describing where they were and what they were doing,not one of them said they were watching the game,doh.
Gareth Southgate is a quality manager and seems a really decent person.The man was ridiculed and ultimately blamed for englands failure,i thought it disgusting that so called pundits whos managerial careers were pitiful enjoyed criticising Gareth,why dont they apply for the england job?.Do the Scottish,Welsh and Irish care if england win at football ?,they probably don't care either way.Do the Scottish,Welsh and Irish enjoy hearing how great england are ,no i don't think they do as due to there proximity and shared tv and radio channels they have very little chance of avoiding it.The only english player who can look at himself in the mirror without shame is Luke Shaw,a player who had been injured and thrown in at the deep end,but was the best english player on the pitch.Now he is what you would call world class.

Just a neutral opinion on Englands latest glorious defeat.Refences have been made regarding the other home nations of the UK gloating due to englands defeat.I would ask england supporters to consider the following statements and it may explain why the Scottish,Welsh and Irish do not want england to win any sporting event.
1966 ,during any National football competition refences to this are always mentioned.
Before a ball is kicked ,they are planning their route to victory.
English media pundits disregard any other home nations contribution ,which are usually pitiful but still deserving of some recognition as they do not have the massive monetry investment that the english fa have.
It's coming ome?.england claimed that they invented football.When it was proven without a doubt that the Chinese invented football england changed their claim ,they invented the modern game?.With that mentality does that mean that Toshiba invented the TV or British Airways invented flying,i think not.
Now on to the euro 24 final.Spain did not play as well in the final as they had in previous games,but according to the pundits Spain were unbeatable.Another example of arrogance,if england are ever beaten the excuse is either the opposing team were amazing or england were poor on the day,or both.
Finally to all england supporters.Have you ever had the misfortune to have to listen to an arrogant person ( and not a good arrogance whatever that means ) tell you how great they are and how they are better than everyone else.How they deserve to achieve things more than anyone else ,is this ringing any bells yet?.
Now most normal people would get annoyed with this type of person and would ultimately wish for them to fail.Now lets include every media outlet ranting about how this person deserves it more than anyone else and is world class and better than anyone else ,would you support them?.
Back to the england team and media love story and why it is an annoyance to non english people.I have loads of examples,but here is one that was not only shocking but ridiculous.
We have all heard news reports which for some reason or other stick in our minds ,9/11 and Princess Dianes untimely death,both very sad and i can remember what i was doing and where i was when both horrendous events took place.Now lets think back to the euros when england beat Switzerland in the penslty shoot out.The next day i was listening to radio 2 at work and i genuinely thought this was a wind up.Radio 2 had a phone in and the question they asked was ,where were you and what were you doing when england won the penalty shootout .england fans were actually phoning in and describing where they were and what they were doing,not one of them said they were watching the game,doh.
Gareth Southgate is a quality manager and seems a really decent person.The man was ridiculed and ultimately blamed for englands failure,i thought it disgusting that so called pundits whos managerial careers were pitiful enjoyed criticising Gareth,why dont they apply for the england job?.Do the Scottish,Welsh and Irish care if england win at football ?,they probably don't care either way.Do the Scottish,Welsh and Irish enjoy hearing how great england are ,no i don't think they do as due to there proximity and shared tv and radio channels they have very little chance of avoiding it.The only english player who can look at himself in the mirror without shame is Luke Shaw,a player who had been injured and thrown in at the deep end,but was the best english player on the pitch.Now he is what you would call world class.
For a neutral opinion that's a) a very long post about English arrogance and b) a username that doesn't really back up the suggestion of neutrality :lol:

In fairness it's on a totally different scale. I didn't see any threads created specifically to celebrate Scotland crashing out, nor did every Scotland related thread become almost exclusively vehicles for anti-Scottish pile ons. I mean it's not a big deal - it's just football and much of it is good natured pisstaking - but I don't think the two are comparable.
Scotland crashing out was never a surprise to anyone, least of all Scottish people - therefore no threads were really needed. We know we’re shite.

The issue so many have is not with the players themselves but just the media. There’s a false sense of entitlement and It’s utterly incessant. It’s something that I genuinely think many English people are oblivious of because it’s about their country. It’s constant hype, immediately talking about their route to the final, pundits like Pugatch actually showing highlights and discussing the England game at halftime of ANOTHER game. When England got to the final, I counted 8 posts out of 11 in a row were about England.

As a non English person, it’s pretty tiresome after a while.

So those threads are simply schadenfreude of the media’s own making, England fans are just caught in the crossfire.