Let's all laugh at England (again)

Scotland crashing out was never a surprise to anyone, least of all Scottish people - therefore no threads were really needed. We know we’re shite.

The issue so many have is not with the players themselves but just the media. There’s a false sense of entitlement and It’s utterly incessant. It’s something that I genuinely think many English people are oblivious of because it’s about their country. It’s constant hype, immediately talking about their route to the final, pundits like Pugatch actually showing highlights and discussing the England game at halftime of ANOTHER game. When England got to the final, I counted 8 posts out of 11 in a row were about England.

As a non English person, it’s pretty tiresome after a while.

So those threads are simply schadenfreude of the media’s own making, England fans are just caught in the crossfire.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Scotland crashing out was never a surprise to anyone, least of all Scottish people - therefore no threads were really needed. We know we’re shite.

The issue so many have is not with the players themselves but just the media. There’s a false sense of entitlement and It’s utterly incessant. It’s something that I genuinely think many English people are oblivious of because it’s about their country. It’s constant hype, immediately talking about their route to the final, pundits like Pugatch actually showing highlights and discussing the England game at halftime of ANOTHER game. When England got to the final, I counted 8 posts out of 11 in a row were about England.

As a non English person, it’s pretty tiresome after a while.

So those threads are simply schadenfreude of the media’s own making, England fans are just caught in the crossfire.
But the issue people seem to have is with the fans, not the media, isn't it? And even the media talk us up beforehand and then slam us at the competition. It seems to me that most of the posts in this thread knocking England have spoken about the entitled fans and not the media, which is weird (this time around, anyway) as I think the majority were skeptical and there was very little 'it's coming home' tubthumping.

RDT-20240717-1826538450311606017540278.jpg

Why do people get these stupid tattoos of things before they happen as if they’re so sure that it will happen? It was like when some City fan got a tattoo that said that they were going to be champions league winners in 2011 when they didn’t even manage to qualify for the champions league the previous season, or something like that

But the issue people seem to have is with the fans, not the media, isn't it? And even the media talk us up beforehand and then slam us at the competition. It seems to me that most of the posts in this thread knocking England have spoken about the entitled fans and not the media, which is weird (this time around, anyway) as I think the majority were skeptical and there was very little 'it's coming home' tubthumping.
100% media for me. Living in wales and having to put up with you winning it and it being in everyone’s faces for infinity would be too much. Bad enough while the euros are on, never mind for ever after if you won it

Why do people get these stupid tattoos of things before they happen as if they’re so sure that it will happen? It was like when some City fan got a tattoo that said that they were going to be champions league winners in 2011 when they didn’t even manage to qualify for the champions league the previous season, or something like that
People are dumb and they can be overconfident. When United won the double in 2008 I double checked when I woke up the next morning to make sure it wasn't a dream. But some people already think of their dream as a reality ahead of time.

Personally my issue is with the media - it’s through them that the fans become wild with hysteria. Its constantly over social media.

There was a lot of ‘it’s coming home’ from my perspective but it was in a more sarcastic way than before as the majority knew England were getting extremely lucky.

Like I said I find most England fans fine and realistic, there’s just some that get caught up in the hype year after year and they tend to be much louder than the others.

They’re usually topless, bald, shite tattoos and reside for 6 months at a time in Benidorm.

100% media for me. Living in wales and having to put up with you winning it and it being in everyone’s faces for infinity would be too much. Bad enough while the euros are on, never mind for ever after if you won it

Personally my issue is with the media - it’s through them that the fans become wild with hysteria. Its constantly over social media.

There was a lot of ‘it’s coming home’ from my perspective but it was in a more sarcastic way than before as the majority knew England were getting extremely lucky.

Like I said I find most England fans fine and realistic, there’s just some that get caught up in the hype year after year and they tend to be much louder than the others.

They’re usually topless, bald, shite tattoos and reside for 6 months at a time in Benidorm.
Both absolutely fair posts! If it's any consolation I can't stand the knuckle dragging Ingerlund contingent either!

Besides diving Sterling - who’s gone now - and Foden. The players in the England team seems like decent guys. I got all respect for them taking so much shit from the fans, the media and the tabloids.

It’s all the things surrounding England I dislike. The booing of anthems is just so disrespectful imo. I’ve heard all the arguments of why you boo other national anthems so please dont bother telling me why it’s all grand, but for me football in international tournaments is about joy and uniting the World/Europe. Many England fans just gets too tribal.

When football is used as an excuse for shit/vile behaviour it’s no longer football for me. Like throwing bottles at a bus with families/children inside. On top of that you got lots of brawls, storming Wembley, lasering opponents in penalty shootouts, booing anthems + the greater national tendencies like Brexit.

It’s just hard not to think bad of English fans in general, but of course much of this is a reflection of a society in shambles, disguised as fandom. You just don’t see the same tendencies on the same scale with German fans. (A country with 1,5 x the population than England).

Cudos to all you normal ones and respectful ones out there. Has to be said. The empty barrels are the ones that make the most noise.

Besides diving Sterling - who’s gone now - and Foden. The players in the England team seems like decent guys. I got all respect for them taking so much shit from the fans, the media and the tabloids.

It’s all the things surrounding England I dislike. The booing of anthems is just so disrespectful imo. I’ve heard all the arguments of why you boo other national anthems so please dont bother telling me why it’s all grand, but for me football in international tournaments is about joy and uniting the World/Europe. Many England fans just gets too tribal.

When football is used as an excuse for shit/vile behaviour it’s no longer football for me. Like throwing bottles at a bus with families/children inside. On top of that you got lots of brawls, storming Wembley, lasering opponents in penalty shootouts, booing anthems + the greater national tendencies like Brexit.

It’s just hard not to think bad of English fans in general, but of course much of this is a reflection of a society in shambles, disguised as fandom. You just don’t see the same tendencies on the same scale with German fans. (A country with 1,5 x the population than England).

Cudos to all you normal ones and respectful ones out there. Has to be said. The empty barrels are the ones that make the most noise.
I think the bolded bit is the thing - we have a small (but not insignificant) section of the fanbase that does shitty, obnoxious things loudly. It tarnishes the rest. I do think all countries have their fair share of arsehole fans, though.