Leny Yoro | Out for 3 months with a metatarsal injury

I must admit I find it difficult to understand just what is involved in preseason training these days, what the planning cycle is etc..

At one time, it was basically three stages; stage 1 mainly getting players back to fitness physically, getting the lead out, heart pounding, etc.; stage 2 was mainly match play skills/techniques, includes a few low level games, usually against mainly local teams (lower divisions) and some at your level; stage 3 was the 'putting the edge on' via supposedly non-competitive games against top opposition.
This was back in the old EFL days and without the foreign tours and other side attractions we now see in the PL age.

I don't remember, but would hold up my hands if someone can prove differently, many years where players were unable to start the season from injuries they picked up in preseason. There was always players with longer term injuries who were still recovering, but don't remember that many who sustained injuries during preseason and therefore missed the starting games?

The only incidents I recall was big Jim Holton, in the kick-about before the last preseason match, standing on the ball falling over and doing his ankle, and even further back Albert Quixall and Albert Scanlon, both picking up injuries (one stepping off the curb) on their way to preseason matches.

Wish the young lad well, hope this doesn't 'hex' his season.

Last edited:
We've sacked several doctors and physios and hired new ones, mate. What more do you want?

Capable ones. Of course, the Yoro injury was an unlucky injury.
However, if we compare our squad injuries with City's, Arsenal's and Liverpool's then it's evident there's something not right at that department or with the training methods.

As I recall he was never quite the same after being rushed back from that other injury for the Bayern match.
Was supposed to be out for a few weeks maybe longer, missed the next league game then miraculously appeared on the teamsheet for the 2nd leg. Clearly took some painkilling injections because he could barely run.

Rooney wasn't quite as fast and explosive after his metatarsal injury IMO. He was such an incredible all-rounder though that he still had an amazing career regardless.

As I recall he was never quite the same after being rushed back from that other injury for the Bayern match.
Yeah, it was the ankle injury that was the real killer. He was mediocre the following season. The season after that he had a much better season as he finished second on the scoring charts behind only van Persie (who of course joined us the season after that and was top scorer again). The 11-12 season was Rooney’s last really good season.

Rooney wasn't quite as fast and explosive after his metatarsal injury IMO. He was such an incredible all-rounder though that he still had an amazing career regardless.
I always had the impression that rushing him back for the 2006 world cup took something out of him physically. In his younger days he was running at players and dribbling a lot more than he did thereafter.

Rushing him back from the 2010 ankle injury against Bayern probably took something out of him too.

Jesus are the last few posters under 12? As was pointed out by one poster we literally signed Rooney with a broken metatarsal!

Ankle, knee and achilles injuries are all a lot more dangerous to careers than metatarsal.

Arsenal kicked lumps out of utd in that Friendly I'm glad only 2 got injured in that game..
Broken foot at 18.. he should be OK.. I'd wear better boots for a few months though if I was him .. they wear slippers now ...

Arsenal kicked lumps out of utd in that Friendly I'm glad only 2 got injured in that game..
Broken foot at 18.. he should be OK.. I'd wear better boots for a few months though if I was him .. they wear slippers now ...
Get old school Adidas World Cup leather boots with 6 studs. Give as good as you get.

Whilst I assumed this was to be the case anyway, The Athletics article today had a line where it was mentioned they had discussed him leaving the club in the future prior to him joining, with the hint of it being for Madrid

Whilst I assumed this was to be the case anyway, The Athletics article today had a line where it was mentioned they had discussed him leaving the club in the future prior to him joining, with the hint of it being for Madrid
All very hypothetical. Who knows where us and Madrid will be in a few years time. If he turns out to be world class then we'll keep him at the club until 2030 at the very minimum.

I mean it also says that Yoro is seen as a player for the next decade. I can get behind a reverse-Varane situation.

Really, it just shows that the team have examined the deal from a lot of important angles and were open in discussing them with the player and his representatives.

Can you clarify this? Who is "they" and do you mean discussed with him as in made future promises?

I always had the impression that rushing him back for the 2006 world cup took something out of him physically. In his younger days he was running at players and dribbling a lot more than he did thereafter.

Rushing him back from the 2010 ankle injury against Bayern probably took something out of him too.
Was on the beer when Injured is my guess

Anyone with more medical knowledge (probably pretty much anyone) is there a reason we waited over a month before getting the surgery?

I think we can safely say that, barring WWIII breaking out, Real will still be top of the heap.
It is extremely likely they'll still be one of the best teams in Europe in the coming years but it also is not impossible that they won't be. I remember when they lost 4-0 to an average Liverpool side in the CL. They had shite like Lassana Diarra and a past-it Hienze starting for them. WW3 was not ongoing at the time.

Came in this thread thinking there might be a positive update, and it’s just United fans talking about a potential exit to Madrid :(

When was the last time we had a player that Madrid seriously wanted?

Pogba?

The man needs to actually show he's a Madrid level player and if he does then we've at least got a top player.

I just hope that when we do send him to Madrid, it’s at the age of 28 and with 4 champions league medals round his neck.

It is extremely likely they'll still be one of the best teams in Europe in the coming years but it also is not impossible that they won't be. I remember when they lost 4-0 to an average Liverpool side in the CL. They had shite like Lassana Diarra and a past-it Hienze starting for them. WW3 was not ongoing at the time.
They have been at the top of European football since the 1950s. They've had their barren spells but overall, they have been and will remain the greatest club side in the game.

There used to be a time when it was them who bought our past it players.

Real Madrid really dropped the ball in their efforts to find the next Thomas Gravesen there.