Lamine Yamal | Now 17 Year Old Barca Wonderkid

Unreal player, he is almost a complete player. His crossing is so good too. Barca should manage him well. They have great talent pool and he looks like a crown jewel.

He's a massive problem because he is nearly always progressive, opting to pass (and pass extremely well) on his inside when and as necessary meaning he often doesn't even bother isolating or going at his full-back, instead taking him out of the game by bypassing engagement entirely. He also plays early infield crosses on a whim and that's unplayable with the way he sets it up.

Great young wingers are generally rapid, dribbling, maverick players who tear fullbacks apart and then attempt to play on. This kid is a consummate team player who sees the whole pitch the entire time and has no preoccupation with rudimentary 1 on 1 battles with opposing fullbacks - he was so effective last night with barely any direct take ons. Worst still is he is exceptional 1 on 1, so it's not like his marker can switch off in relation to this kid just going straight at them.

Wingers as complete as this kid is - at 16 - are like gold dust. If he's on form there's not much that can be done to stop him and it becomes a battle to contain him as best as can be, but in a team with other skilled attackers, he's going to use them in the optimal way, and that's nightmare fuel.

It looks like overplaying into ruin and mistreatment by handlers are his obstacles, because when it comes to talent, he's got the raw tools to be a permanent fixture with great wingers throughout history in terms of potential and legacy.

His passing and crossing is also so good, especially when they're through the middle. Unbelievable talent.

He's a massive problem because he is nearly always progressive, opting to pass (and pass extremely well) on his inside when and as necessary meaning he often doesn't even bother isolating or going at his full-back, instead taking him out of the game by bypassing engagement entirely. He also plays early infield crosses on a whim and that's unplayable with the way he sets it up.

Great young wingers are generally rapid, dribbling, maverick players who tear fullbacks apart and then attempt to play on. This kid is a consummate team player who sees the whole pitch the entire time and has no preoccupation with rudimentary 1 on 1 battles with opposing fullbacks - he was so effective last night with barely any direct take ons. Worst still is he is exceptional 1 on 1, so it's not like his marker can switch off in relation to this kid just going straight at them.

Wingers as complete as this kid is - at 16 - are like gold dust. If he's on form there's not much that can be done to stop him and it becomes a battle to contain him as best as can be, but in a team with other skilled attackers, he's going to use them in the optimal way, and that's nightmare fuel.

It looks like overplaying into ruin and mistreatment by handlers are his obstacles, because when it comes to talent, he's got the raw tools to be a permanent fixture with great wingers throughout history in terms of potential and legacy.

Not even 17 and in the last year he's played in over 60 games for club and country. Now, I know he won't have started every game, but in terms of full 90s, he started 37 out of 61 games for Barca and 9/13 for Spain. Even in terms of minutes he's played over 40 full games.

When you think about, it's a ridiculous amount of games for the kid to have played at 16. He'll have about 300 games played by the time he's 20 at this rate.

Not even 17 and in the last year he's played in over 60 games for club and country. Now, I know he won't have started every game, but in terms of full 90s, he started 37 out of 61 games for Barca and 9/13 for Spain. Even in terms of minutes he's played over 40 full games.

When you think about, it's a ridiculous amount of games for the kid to have played at 16. He'll have about 300 games played by the time he's 20 at this rate.

A lot of the teen sensations of the past like Rooney, Hazard, Fabregas were physically spent by the time they hit 30. It is a cause for concern slightly that he is playing so much football at such an early age. Barca in particular have seen Fati and Pedri break down after an initial burst onto the scene, so I’m sure they’re wary of that. I guess it’s difficult to start protecting him now that his star has already shone so bright on the world stage.

Last edited:
If we offered €300m for him, I wouldn't even care. Having him as our right winger for the next 10+ years would bring out the child in me every game.

A lot of the teen sensations of the past like Rooney, Hazard, Fabregas were physically spent by the time they hit 30. It is a cause for concern slightly that he is playing so much football at such an early age. Barca in particular have seen Fati and Pedri break down after an initial burst onto the scene, so I’m sure they’re wary of that. I guess it’s difficult to start protecting him now that he’s shown star already shone so bright on the world stage.

Yeah, they were playing a similar amount of games at the same age.

I know it's hard to keep that level of talent on the bench and I guess Barca have been put in a position where they had no option other than throw these youngsters in the team. It's already ruined one or two, would hate to see this kid end up the same way.

Yeah, and as he gets better, the more the dependency grows - even last night he was kept on to ensure his threat kept France pinned.

All this talk can quickly amount to nothing if he becomes as broken as other luminaries of the Barca/Spain school of mishandling, and it has to be a genuine fear with this kid because he’s already perceived as too good to come off when push really comes to shove.

If we offered €300m for him, I wouldn't even care. Having him as our right winger for the next 10+ years would bring out the child in me every game.
There’s no guarantee he’ll be anywhere near the same player in 2 seasons, let alone 10+. He’s going to slow down as he gets older, just in the next couple of years, what happens then? Does he adapt his game to keep the ball better? Does he develop some more tricks to go past defenders? It’s alright saying he’s great now but a lot of his ability comes from the fact he’s 16 and can move like a whippet.

We’ve seen this with every great young player ever. Only a handful ever kick on past this point, and that’s when you rule out the possibility of injuries or being overplayed.

Maybe Yamal is actually secretly Messi's son and that photo shoot was a way for him to see his son, rigged raffle

Barca had lots of "wonderkids" and none of them grew to stardom. Bojan Krkic, Ansu Fati, Pedri etc. The club has no money at all, these young players are being utilized way too much which results early injuries, and i wouldn't be surprised if the same happened to Yamal.

Pedri is 21 ffs and one of the best midfielders in the world...the things you can read on here :lol:

Also Mr. Nasraoui is a madridista :lol:

Feck sake, couldn't steer his kid to the right club :devil:

Almost single-handledy saving this tournament for me. Really exciting player to watch, it's absurd that he's 16. Giving me Rooney vibes.

Unbelievable strike.

He’s very different from Messi. More like Robbin but not as good a dribbler but better passing and vision.

There’s no guarantee he’ll be anywhere near the same player in 2 seasons, let alone 10+. He’s going to slow down as he gets older, just in the next couple of years, what happens then? Does he adapt his game to keep the ball better? Does he develop some more tricks to go past defenders? It’s alright saying he’s great now but a lot of his ability comes from the fact he’s 16 and can move like a whippet.

We’ve seen this with every great young player ever. Only a handful ever kick on past this point, and that’s when you rule out the possibility of injuries or being overplayed.

Would you say this about a 17 year old Messi, that he is going to slow down, having to adapt his game to keep the ball better, developing tricks to go past defenders? Yamal is quite clearly a generational talent. He is already one of the world's best wingers at the age of 16, a starter for Barcelona and Spain. This isn't some one season wonder who has a 50/50 of succeeding as a top player. It's not like he has shown a bit of promise and a few good performances. The only thing that can stop him are injuries, and Barcelona need to keep that in mind and don't play him too much, or they will have a similar case of Pedri/Gavi/Ansu Fati etc. In the extremely unlikely scenario that we bought him, it would be under the assumption that he didn't play most games, but rather developed him carefully, as young players should.

In two seasons, it is highly likely that he is a better player than he is now. Slow down? What does that even mean? You think he is going to "slow down" in his mid twenties, or in a few years? I can't believe you're implying he has an advantage at the age of 16. There are no other 16 year olds like him, and there is a reason for that. They have no business being in men's football at that age, but he is, and you think he is going to slow down in a few years? Assuming he stays injury free, he is only going to get better, and there's no doubt about it.

Reactions: Fortitude

What are your talking about :lol: Humans aren’t at their fastest at 16 years of age. He’s still developing physically! People peak in their early to mid twenties.

Besides have you watched him? He doesn’t rely on his pace, he keeps the ball exceptionally, makes incisive passes and is a great crosser.

So after hearing that Mbappe was the generational talent, then Foden, then Haaland and Jude... Are we finally settling on Yamal as this generations generational talent? :lol:

His goal yesterday was nothing to do with pace. The way he used his body to create space for himself and then that shot - the kid is going to be just fine.

For me, the most impressive thing about him as a 16 year old is the maturity and accuracy of his passing. He was firing crisp, pin point passes through the lines yesterday - obviously his technical ability and speed is impressive - but the fact he can see and pick passes like those at his age bodes really well for the future.

So after hearing that Mbappe was the generational talent, then Foden, then Haaland and Jude... Are we finally settling on Yamal as this generations generational talent? :lol:
He’s not really ‘this gen’ is he? Kid is essentially from the future and nothing should actually be expected of him. The supposed stars or even potential stars of now can call him kid themselves, for the most part.

Only injuries and/or Barca mismanagement can hold him back. Looks like he will win quite a few Ballon D'ors if he continues to progress as expected. For a 16 year old, he is exceptionally far ahead in his game.

He’s not really ‘this gen’ is he? Kid is essentially from the future and nothing should actually be expected of him. The supposed stars or even potential stars of now can call him kid themselves, for the most part.
True, I was just taking a jab at everyone throwing the term generational talent around for any young player who looks half decent these days. Reddit was calling Mason Mount a generational talent when he had that good season for Chelsea :lol:
I think we were even guilty with it for Rashford and Greenwood

The new Renato Sanches. Great as a kid, but will get overplayed/injured/too big for his boots and end up having to play for Swansea

Just a thought here, but hear me out.

Why don’t we (Manchester United FC) make an offer to 2 or 3 of the best coaches in La Masia, an offer they couldn’t refuse.
Offer them double or triple their current wages, and a wee house in Macclesfield.

Of course players like Yamal, Pedri, Gavi, Cubarsi are very talented, but there has to be more to it, the coaching at such young ages has a massive part in that, surely.

Maybe its out of respect no one has tried that, but show them no respect, they are not our friends.

Just something to think about.

This little kid is insanely good and he’s not even 17 yet. I was 8 when he was born and first joined Wikipedia and YouTube when he was a fetus.
even younger that that. He’s 32 years old apparently ffs. :lol:
What the feck! So he was 14 or 15 when Yamal was born??

Why don’t we (Manchester United FC) make an offer to 2 or 3 of the best coaches in La Masia, an offer they couldn’t refuse.
Offer them double or triple their current wages, and a wee house in Macclesfield.

Of course players like Yamal, Pedri, Gavi, Cubarsi are very talented, but there has to be more to it, the coaching at such young ages has a massive part in that, surely.

Maybe its out of respect no one has tried that, but show them no respect, they are not our friends.

I think you’d find it difficult to come up with an offer that Catalonians wouldn’t refuse to leave Catalonia. Bringing through the next generation of talent for the team that represent where they are from is about a lot more than money.

Whatever about the people running Barcelona, and some of their antics in the boardroom, it’s hard to have anything but respect for La Masia. You’re not going to find important coaches who are willing to turn their back on where they’re from for something as simple as money. Not when they’re likely already very well paid for what they do.

I think you’d find it difficult to come up with an offer that Catalonians wouldn’t refuse to leave Catalonia. Bringing through the next generation of talent for the team that represent where they are from is about a lot more than money.

Whatever about the people running Barcelona, and some of their antics in the boardroom, it’s hard to have anything but respect for La Masia. You’re not going to find important coaches who are willing to turn their back on where they’re from for something as simple as money. Not when they’re likely already very well paid for what they do.
They would move to Chernobyl for the right amount of money, but its not just money, a new experience, a new way of living, a new footballing culture, its not just money, obviously some will rather stay where they’re at, but I’m sure we could lure one or two of them.

Would be more beneficial for the future of the club than any signing we could possibly make.

Heck, maybe there’s one who actually hates the weather over there, as someone who lives in a warm country, it gets really old, every day sunny and warm, for months, its a nightmare.

Last edited:

I think you might have missed the part where all the money-hungry Catalonian football coaches have already moved to Manchester to build an academy comparable to La Masia.