La Liga 2024/25

Kroos was the glue? That pen in their last game looked pretty dubious as well tbh.

It's just weird watching them play, it's as if they have no midfield, and their front 3 are void of confidence... Reminds me of another team

Mbappe was rapid there! Unlucky not to get to the ball from vini, then the keeper missed and rodrygo was unlucky to not get it either.

Trying to play too cute in middle of park and getting disposed constantly though.

I said in the summer, multiple times, that I couldn’t believe that Madrid weren’t signing a full back - primarily a left back - a centre back (they have virtually no options there), and a center midfielder. Those all seemed necessary and glaringly obvious additions to make to keep this hugely talented squad balanced.

Camavinga is a big miss. He and Valverde are dynamic without being particularly playmaking leaning. Tchouameni is top drawer in my opinion, but needs more creative players in front of him. Camavinga as a false left back will help, once he returns, but this Madrid team is crying out for a ball playing CB, and attacking left back, and above all a creative playmaking CM.

For me, their best bet will be to deploy Bellingham, once he returns, like they did last season, as a sort of floating false 9, shadow striker, and auxiliary midfielder, coming through between two forwards, who naturally split and go wide. Vinicius and Mbappe as that pair, with Bellingham from deep, will be devastating once it’s settled in. But what will hurt them is that behind that Tchouameni, Valverde and Camavinga are three players for two positions, because the third role needs to be taken by a player who is a tempo setter, with a vast passing range and creativity. They badly miss Kroos.

The piece in their puzzle that is missing is someone like a Wirtz. A creative player that could easily swap positions and roles on the field in game with Bellingham.

Kroos was the glue? That pen in their last game looked pretty dubious as well tbh.

Connecting defense to attack, temporizing, controlling the game and making play happen. He is missed very much.

Besides that;

• Front three not connecting
• Weak defensively and in midfield, easy to bypass our bad press and walk pass the midfield
• Not creating any chances. Incredibly static.

Could go on, but it looks dreadful.

Compared to last season, it is very noticeable that the team is missing its three most technical midfielders (not counting Modric, who we should be thinking more in terms of when his tribute match will be). Ancelotti will have to find a system of play that compensates for this lack. The problem is that, even he does, the margin for error and available time are way too scarce.

It's infuriating watching them run as fast as they can to the opposition box then just stop and pass it backwards.

Brahim and Endrick are electric with spaces.

It’s a win but nowhere near the required level. Just very poor overall. Need to be better.

• Fede switched to LCM in the second half; interesting choice. Curious if we’ll stick to that.
• Front three have no chemistry. All playing their own game.
• Really missing Jude
• Might need a more attacking LB in this setup.

Compared to last season, it is very noticeable that the team is missing its three most technical midfielders (not counting Modric, who we should be thinking more in terms of when his tribute match will be). Ancelotti will have to find a system of play that compensates for this lack. The problem is that, even he does, the margin for error and available time are way too scarce.
I think Florentino made the same mistake that he he did in they galáctico era when he signed a lot of attackers and let Makelele go.

I said in the summer, multiple times, that I couldn’t believe that Madrid weren’t signing a full back - primarily a left back - a centre back (they have virtually no options there), and a center midfielder. Those all seemed necessary and glaringly obvious additions to make to keep this hugely talented squad balanced.
It's just a different approach to squad building, one that prioritizes 'top level talent' rather than filling all positions properly.
I tend to have concerns about it, but RM have won two league+CL doubles in the last 3 seasons, it's working well.

It's just a different approach to squad building, one that prioritizes 'top level talent' rather than filling all positions properly.
I tend to have concerns about it, but RM have won two league+CL doubles in the last 3 seasons, it's working well.
But I think prior to this season they’ve filled positions pretty darn well. It’s just that they haven’t reacted to Alaba falling victim to a long term injury, Militao taking time to recover properly from his. Nacho leaving. Kroos retiring. Even just two players, a playmaking CM and a versatile CB who can also play LB would put a different complexion on this squad and make the most out of it. Before Alaba and Militao went down, and Kroos retired, they didn’t really have these issues.

I think they are waiting to get Davies on a free next summer for one.

It’s a win but nowhere near the required level. Just very poor overall. Need to be better.

• Fede switched to LCM in the second half; interesting choice. Curious if we’ll stick to that.
• Front three have no chemistry. All playing their own game.
• Really missing Jude
• Might need a more attacking LB in this setup.
The last point will be solved by getting Davies next summer. Just don’t ask him to defend too much.

Flo is playing 6D chess here and y'all can't see it

This is about having an excuse to sack Carlo and replace him with Xabi

So I turned the game off after second goal. As always embarassing refereeing as soon as Real Madrid is in small crisis, instead of second yellow for Vini they get laughable penalty decision. And I wanted to watch them more this season, I am interested in how that attack will work, but I am reminded once again why I avoid their games.

But I think prior to this season they’ve filled positions pretty darn well. It’s just that they haven’t reacted to Alaba falling victim to a long term injury, Militao taking time to recover properly from his. Nacho leaving. Kroos retiring. Even just two players, a playmaking CM and a versatile CB who can also play LB would put a different complexion on this squad and make the most out of it. Before Alaba and Militao went down, and Kroos retired, they didn’t really have these issues.

I think they are waiting to get Davies on a free next summer for one.
When Varane and Ramos left in the same summer, only Alaba was signed, so they only had 3 CBs for that season (I'm not going to count Vallejo). Then last season Benzema left and he was not replaced by an actual striker/attacking player, at least that season. So that's what I mean; they'll sign players, just not immediately.

I'm not surprised that Madrid are playing increasingly poor football despite having world class players in every position.

Last season I questionned the evolution of Madrid players' profiles over the years and its consequences on the way they play. They gradually went from Kroos, Modric, Isco, Marcelo, Ramos, Benzema, to the likes of Tchouameni, Valverde, Camavinga, Mendy, Rudiger, Mbappe. That's a massive drop off in technical ability indeed. They basically traded technique for athleticism, ballers for runners, and they did so in too many positions.

So now they struggle to play out the back, to beat even a medium-intensity high press against minnows, to break down low-blocks, they lack control and creativity in midfield and chemistry in attack.
For all the praise that Madrid's higher ups have received for their work, I find their squad poorly constructed and unbalanced. They have three natural left-wingers up front stepping on each others toes, no natural right-winger, no experienced number 9, no controlling midfielder, no creative passer, only two proven centre-backs in the squad right now.

I see people complaining about Mendy, which I only partly understand. He's a good ball-playing left back and by far their most press resistant defender and he's solid defensively. Madrid were looking to replace him. With Alphonso Davies. Another track star.

They gradually went from Kroos, Modric, Isco, Marcelo, Ramos, Benzema, to the likes of Tchouameni, Valverde, Camavinga, Mendy, Rudiger, Mbappe. That's a massive drop off in technical ability indeed. So now they struggle to play out the back, to beat even a medium-intensity high press against minnows, to break down low-blocks, they lack control and creativity in midfield and chemistry in attack.

Real Madrid won the league with 95 points and +61 GD last season, as well as the Champions League and the domestic supercup, with all those players bar Mbappe. They can play football, score goals, etc.

Real Madrid won the league with 95 points and +61 GD last season, as well as the Champions League and the domestic supercup, with all those players bar Mbappe. They can play football, score goals, etc.

They did. Does that cancel anything that I've said though?

If we keep winning then yes. However I do think we can improve the way that we play and that bringing someone like Mbappe was a detriment to the team in terms of we could had used those resources to get players in more crucial positions.

Anyway I would be more anxious and mad if it wasn't for Xabi taking the team in a season or two, meanwhile we have to manage with what we have.

Yes. A team that cannot control games, play against low blocks, lacks chemistry in attack, play out the back, etc. does not win a league title with 95 points, scoring 87 goals, and winning the CL. It's an overstatement.

We're not talking about a decent season, it was by some metrics the best in the club's history.

So I turned the game off after second goal. As always embarassing refereeing as soon as Real Madrid is in small crisis, instead of second yellow for Vini they get laughable penalty decision. And I wanted to watch them more this season, I am interested in how that attack will work, but I am reminded once again why I avoid their games.
So now the GK fouling Vini with his knee is laughable but you don't comment nothing about the clear handball or the Ceballos penalty before, or how the ref that paid for coaching services to Negreira's son in that action says it's offside before the linesman flags it :lol:.

With the level of attention you pay what is the point anyway? xD