La Liga - 2012/2013

Higuain scores his favourite goal. Ball for him to move onto at the edge of the box and bang.

Each Real goal comes as no surprise to the commentary team on sky sports. That was a great finish by Ronaldo.

It's not that different in Portugal, in terms of excitement.

Lads, what do we think of putting this thread, the Serie A thread and the Bundesliga thread as stickies in the football forum? The problem stickies is that they're usually ignored but given there's matches every week that seems unlikely, and it saves people searching the forums to find it.

Ah, so now i won't have to track it down when I post the fixtures :lol:

Unfortunately it's made me too lazy to think which thread this should go in. Inspired by the Pogba thread, a few words on Madrid's despairing attempts to bring through home grown players.

Madrid have a very large youth structure and a very productive one. They've got something like 50 ex-youth teamers playing in top divisions in Europe including people like Soldado, Juanfran, Negredo and Mata. It's the bridge to the first team that doesn't work. Mourinho asked the club to prioritise getting the reserves promoted to Liga 2, to narrow the gap.

The inevitable happened, the reserves got promoted but as with a lot of job objectives the reason it was an objective got forgotten. The reserve coach wants his team to be successful, which sounds OK. Mourinho on the other hand wants it to train first teamers.

To make his point this week Mourinho included a 17 year old midfielder in his Copa del Rey team, José Rodríguez scored and became one of Madrid's youngest ever goalscorers. Then, at today's press conference, he pointed out that Rodriquez isn't a reserve team starter because the reserve team's got decent 25 year olds in his position, because they're trying to be a good Liga 2 team.

More generally, Mourinho blames the press and agents for putting impossible pressure on the youth team players - making them impatient or over anxious. Certainly when European teams are offering significant transfer fees, good contracts, and first team chances to reserve players it's hard to break the pattern of losing them.

Celta just missed a sitter. Good goalkeeping by Valdes but it was a clear one on one.

Magic by David Villa. Been a decent match so far. 1-2 Barcelona.

Barcelona's attacking is sensational.

Barcelona's defending is sensationally abysmal.

Just turned over to watch this, and it's game over already. Nice finish in the end by Di maria

La liga on it's way back to normality I reckon. Atletico surely can't win again tonight away to Valencia. They haven't done so since 2003 in the league so the amazing run of 13 wins in a row should come to an end. I guess the only way to split the big two would be to win as many as possible, and then maybe they can afford to lose against Real, Barca. 3rd would be a great season though, might even be enough to keep Falcao there.

Didn't see the first half but Madrid haven't done much in the second, taking a rest before Tuesday against Dortmund perhaps. Zaragoza unlucky to have a goal disallowed which would have livened things up.

And with that Ronaldo hits the bar (keeper got a fingertip to it?) from a freekick.

When's the last time neither Messi nor Ronaldo scored over the weekend?

Falcao gets his face trodden on by Soldado.

Then Soldado puts Valencia one up.

Busy boy.

I'm keeping an eye on the game while working, obviously rooting for Atl.Mad. I've no idea about this team except for Falcao. Do they have anoyone else or are they a onemanteam? (I've watched them a handful times the last couple of years, Falcao has been the bestest player on the pitch by some distance and I've not noticed anyone else. Enlighten me.)

Emre is that racist fella who used to play for Newcastøe, right? He's off now.

Yeah, it's been all Atletico, but to be fair they haven't created many decent chances.

Ekeke's mancrush on for Valencia.

I'm keeping an eye on the game while working, obviously rooting for Atl.Mad. I've no idea about this team except for Falcao. Do they have anoyone else or are they a onemanteam? (I've watched them a handful times the last couple of years, Falcao has been the bestest player on the pitch by some distance and I've not noticed anyone else. Enlighten me.)

Emre is that racist fella who used to play for Newcastøe, right? He's off now.

Luis Filipe is arguably the best left back in the league, adrian is a good player but doesnt score enough, arda turan is quality. They have a lot of hard working grafters in midfield who can also play a bit like Gabi and Mario. Also Tiago who used to play for Chelsea. One thing about Simeone's Atletico compared to previous incanarnations is the solidity in the line up. They finally have a back 4 who are able to keep shape and commit very few mistakes. They all seem to play that little bit more for Simeone than previous managers, infact the way they get stuck in at times is reminiscent of the type of player Simeone was.