La Liga - 2012/2013

Brilliant last 10 mins. Granada really messed up their chances on the break and a stunner from Xavi. He's such a brilliant player.

I can't watch him play football without thinking "for feck's sake, I wish we had him" every time he touches the ball. Was quality when he came on.

Well we're lucky enough to have the English equivalent of Xavi at our club.

Well deserved win in the end for Barca.

Second half was much better after the substitutes.

Xavi really changed the game when he came on. And it's no coincidence that the route one football pretty much stopped in the second half after he came on. They'll really struggle to replace Xavi once he's gone.

Not sure what Vilanova is doing with all of this direct football, quick forced passes, putting lots of crosses in etc. Doesn't seem like the Barca I know and they're certainly not as composed with the ball as they were under Pep.

Think they're in a bit of an identity crisis at the moment. Trying to put together a more varied gameplan but it is just jeopardising everything that they're good at IMO - and everything that the players are used to doing. Can see them taking a stuffing off Madrid if they keep playing like this.

Perhaps but there are aspects to Tito's early work that are worth noting, as well. 5 out of 5 to start the season, it's a rare thing in Spain to do that as a rookie manager. A few dramatic late goals to decide matches gives a team confidence. All the wide players are once again impacting matches which helps reduce the reliance on Leo. His substitutions have been timely and paying big dividends. Plus, they're getting more shots on goal despite defenses camping out around their own goal.

The defense is a problem and it's compounded with injuries. It's the weakest I've seen the defense since '08.

What exactly are you referring to when you mean they don't play to their strength anymore?

They still play great counter-pressing, have 70%+ possession but thy opt to play a bit faster from time to time, which I don't think is a bad thing.

Another thing is that adding some width is a necessary step for them I think.

We have seen in the past that they struggle against teams that heavily shut down the center.

Of course crossing is always a bit of a mixed bag, especially when you are a team that isn't really the strongest in the air but crosses don't have to be put in high all the time and if the player gets through to the byline there is also the option to lay the ball back to one of their players, like Tello did a few times the game before.

I think they are still searching after the right mix but it will eventually come.

The main reason for the team looking a bit rusty sometimes is imo that they had quite a few injuries and had to rotate a lot, not always starting their first eleven.

For not being at their best atm they really had a good start to the season and will probably only get better with time.

The way they played recently I think theres a good chance Madrid could demolish them in a couple of weeks

I sometimes wonder if you watch much Spanish footy, Vato. This is the sort of match I anticipated after the two last season.

I don't watch that much football at all to be fair, I've never said I did. I just try to watch all Madrid and Barca games with the odd Valencia, Sevilla or Atletico game. I think I've watched more EPL than PD for the last 2 seasons, and the ones I watch I can't even seem to remember till the end of the season. Sometimes I think if I'm alone like that, everyone seems to remember so much about past games here.. either you're all fecking robots or I got early stages of alzheimer's.

Anyway 3 points very much needed tonight or the season might be almost over, no more slip ups allowed.

I don't watch that much football at all to be fair, I've never said I did. I just try to watch all Madrid and Barca games with the odd Valencia, Sevilla or Atletico game. I think I've watched more EPL than PD for the last 2 seasons, and the ones I watch I can't even seem to remember till the end of the season. Sometimes I think if I'm alone like that, everyone seems to remember so much about past games here.. either you're all fecking robots or I got early stages of alzheimer's.

Anyway 3 points very much needed tonight or the season might be almost over, no more slip ups allowed.
No need to worry vato, you are one of us cool guys :cool:. We watch football for fun.

Long season, more drama for all of us ahead

Just some encounters really stand out and certain playing styles, managerial methods etc. are hard to forget. Granada is basically a farm club for Udinese which has an extensive scouting network in South America. Anquela is the new manager but was previously leading an intense Alcorcon so that was really the only difference this season - they were equally difficult to unlock as they were last season, IMO

One of the more tense encounters I can recall for a La Liga match, would be interesting to see how your team deals with them

Granada's running model is an interesting one. They are basically one of the theee clubs owned by the same family along with Udinese and Watford. Udinese are treated as a premium brand by them and all of the best players go there. Those who are not ready to play get loaned out to Granada or Watford to develop. Six players in Granada's current squad have been loaned from Udinese and another two have been bought from Udinese. At Watford there are 12 players loaned from Udinese and Granada. Most of these players are actually very young and highly rated and have been bought for low fees. Udinese are a selling club and they generate significant profits on sales. They've recently sold Handanovic for €6m, Isla for €9m, Asamoah for €10m, Denis for €5m, Zapata for €9m, Sanchez for €37m, Felipe for €6.5m and Lukovic fo €7m. They're basically run as a business.

It's a very, very long shot, but it'd be interesting to see if Granada and Udinese both qualify for CL.

Granada's running model is an interesting one. They are basically one of the theee clubs owned by the same family along with Udinese and Watford. Udinese are treated as a premium brand by them and all of the best players go there. Those who are not ready to play get loaned out to Granada or Watford to develop. Six players in Granada's current squad have been loaned from Udinese and another two have been bought from Udinese. At Watford there are 12 players loaned from Udinese and Granada. Most of these players are actually very young and highly rated and have been bought for low fees. Udinese are a selling club and they generate significant profits on sales. They've recently sold Handanovic for €6m, Isla for €9m, Asamoah for €10m, Denis for €5m, Zapata for €9m, Sanchez for €37m, Felipe for €6.5m and Lukovic fo €7m. They're basically run as a business.

Thanks Sarni. Very interesting stuff.

It's a very, very long shot, but it'd be interesting to see if Granada and Udinese both qualify for CL.

I think they will have to find a loophole or a way to get around the rules because in the current model they will not be allowed to participate. As you said though this is a very long shot because Granada in their current state are treated more as a mid-table La Liga side with their only goal to avoid relegation. Thing is though, they might both find themselves in Europa League at one point instead and it's realistic that at some point they will if Granada keep developing. True mindfeck would come if Udinese were in CL qualifying round and Granada were in Europa League because at that point Udinese could crash out of CL at any point and be installed in EL.

Madrid's game will kick off late (maybe 10.30 Spain, 9.30 UK) - the stadium electricity has failed (they think it's deliberate :eek: )

When they do play Madrid's team is:
Casillas, Arbeloa, Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo; Essien, Xabi Alonso; Di María, Modric, Cristiano y Benzema.

Ramos back. Benzema, Modric, Essier start (so Higuain, Khedira, Ozil are on the bench)

sabotage.jpg

Ballbag on Sky explaining that these are protests from season ticket holders, who have been requirement to pay an EXTRA €20 (or €25 maybe, I missed the detail) to see this game. Disgraceful, particularly when if clubs need more money they should be forcing the big 2 to share the fecking TV money.

Completely out of order to do this though - match postponed until maybe tomorrow.

Ballbag on Sky explaining that these are protests from season ticket holders, who have been requirement to pay an EXTRA €20 (or €25 maybe, I missed the detail) to see this game. Disgraceful, particularly when if clubs need more money they should be forcing the big 2 to share the fecking TV money.

Completely out of order to do this though - match postponed until maybe tomorrow.

What did they do exactly?

I just saw an empty stadium and no commentary on laola1.tv.

What did they do exactly?

I just saw an empty stadium and no commentary on laola1.tv.

The power cables have been cut, deliberately.

There were protests tonight by some fans about Rayo putting a surcharge on the tickets - but I don't know if some fan group have claimed responsibility for this. The Spanish media don't seem ready to say it, though apparently Sky have.

I remember a spate of power cut imcidemts in the UK a few years back and I think some of those turned out to be a betting scam.

I like the way Spain re organises postponed matches so fast. In England that game would be put back until the new year

I like the way Spain re organises postponed matches so fast. In England that game would be put back until the new year

Yep, they've even put Deportivo - Sevilla's kickoff tomorrow back to 9.45 for the TV company, so the matches don't overlap (much). Apparently this is Madrid's only clear midweek slot until February and even this week they've got a friendly on Wednesday

Madrid have registered a complaint over the rescheduling - they've asked for a Monday 5pm kick off.