La Liga - 2012/2013

Three up now. Gerry's right, Atletico are getting in about the wide spaces where the full-backs would normally be in a back four.

Delibasic pulls 2 back with some tap-ins after good wingplay. Good finish to the game

Some balls that Rayo keeper had there, Cruyff turn with Falcao pressing him :eek:

Shows how little I know about Spanish football - I thought this season Real would be much more consistent than Barca in true Mourinho "machine" style and set the pace from the outset.

Still plenty of time of course, but a big gap to have at any point in that league.

Be interesting to see if Jose can get a reaction against City - if they don't then will the pressure really start to build?

Didn't realize City haven't lost since April

Well they only had a few games left after their loss to Arsenal and they were mainly against weaker sides, and they've only had 4 games in the league this season with away to Liverpool being the toughest.

Well they only had a few games left after their loss to Arsenal and they were mainly against weaker sides, and they've only had 4 games in the league this season with away to Liverpool being the toughest.

I see, makes sense.

Should be the most interesting match today. RM need to bounce back with a performance that will restore some faith in their prospects and right their ship while City are not in scintillating form themselves but need to demonstrate they are serious about the CL.

Mancini strikes me as being a bit too conservative in general so hard to say how aggressive he will attempt to be. Silva, Kun & Yaya all have performed well at the Bobby Brown and will be key along with Tevez.

I expect Mou will do everything he can to insure they win

Interesting perspective on the Mancini vs Mou relationship at The Guardian

Atletico Madrid's record under Simeone is impressive

A3UP-jUCUAE87el.jpg:large

Much more consistent team under him than previous managers. Also won 14 European games in a row.

Simeone has revolutionized Atletico and I love how they play. He handed out a can of woop azz to not just a Bielsa side but the Champion League title holders.

Filipe Luis, big fan of him outside the obvious players like Falcao, Adrian etc.

The only true test remaining is if they can be a worthy derby opponent - thus far, they've folded like a flan

Yeah, not beaten Real in over a decade and that's a mental block they will have to overcome. They have another winnable home game this weekend. Be good to see them compete for a top four spot this year and then Falcao might stay to play CL football.

I've always been impressed with Filipe, i remember that horrendous leg break he suffered when he was at Depor. He's come back and is an even better player now.

I've always been impressed with Filipe, i remember that horrendous leg break he suffered when he was at Depor. He's come back and is an even better player now.

Yep, a big fan of the player and I remember that break quite well. My club was in for him and had that break not occurred, it'd probably be Luis on that left side rather than Adriano. Really happy he found a home and is thriving, in my top 3 of LBs

But the derby, yeah it's a big deal. If Falcao is healthy, I think they have a good chance and if they do, Simeone will cement his legendary place among the hearts of fans

They have big money problems like every club in Spain does and that could ultimately be Simeone's biggest obstacle

What's telling about Simeone's arrival was that run of six clean sheets following his appointment. Given how chaotic Atletico's defending has often been in the last 15 years, it was fundamental he got that side of things right.

Atletico Madrid never show up against Real Madrid.

They certainly got brushed aside last season and there has quite a bit of time passed since they beat Real. It's a bit like Everton - Liverpool. I feel like Everton very rarely get anything out of the Merseyside derby.

are you familiar with Atletico's record against Real?

They've got a huge mental block there. Real can play an awful game and still come away with 3 points

Attendances in La Liga are down by 12% on last year - they're hoping that at least some of it was down to the silly late night schedule, but there's a lot of wishful thinking there.

An interesting stat on the big two. Their combined budget now accounts for 53% of the La Liga total, that's up from 43% in 2007/8. Truly the rich do get richer. Meanwhile Valencia have confirmed they need to sell players, again.

However, La Liga are not out of business yet (from the BBC, so times are all UK:
Saturday, 22 September 2012
Real Zaragoza v Osasuna, 15:00
Celta de Vigo v Getafe, 17:00
Real Betis v Espanyol, 19:00
Barcelona v Granada, 21:00

Sunday, 23 September 2012
Mallorca v Valencia, 11:00
Levante v Real Sociedad, 15:00
Atletico Madrid v Valladolid, 17:00
Athletic Bilbao v Malaga, 18:50
Rayo Vallecano v Real Madrid, 20:30

Monday, 24 September 2012
Deportivo La Coruna v Sevilla, 20:30

Barcelona take on a Granada who have a twentieth of their income.

12th placed Real Madrid go to 6th placed Rayo, a club with a thirtieth of their budget.

Athletic Vs Malaga could be a good match, but only if Athletic finally start playing again.

The team will hopefully be fired up after the comeback against city and get a much needed away win on Sunday. Not much chance of Granada leaving with something out of the Camp Nou either.

Good thing they play a day before us aswell, no more slip ups now please.

They certainly got brushed aside last season and there has quite a bit of time passed since they beat Real. It's a bit like Everton - Liverpool. I feel like Everton very rarely get anything out of the Merseyside derby.

Everton actually have a decent record in the Merseyside derby these past few years.

:lol:

You know you're going to trounce at least 4 past them at home mate, don't try and get my hopes up!

Probably, although we could see a high scoring game, last season's corresponding fixture finished 5-3 with Barcelona conceding 2 penalties and needing a Messi hat-trick to save their asses.

Granada meanwhile have loaned some decent attacking players: Floro Flores and Torje from Udinese.

---
I'd wouldn't be surprised if Rayo managed a draw, although the way Atléti eviscerated them recently means it could equally end up being 5-0. They should probably start with Delibasic this time, who is a decent poacher.

:lol:

You know you're going to trounce at least 4 past them at home mate, don't try and get my hopes up!

I'd love for that to be true but those two matches last season were very difficult and I know you know what I mean. Plus, despite the capital city circus being in town, you know very well we've got a sieve defense atm

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...all-could-'kill-itself'-in-five-years?cc=5901

Spanish football could 'kill itself'
September 21, 2012
By Dermot Corrigan, Spain Correspondent

Spanish football must change course drastically or it will "kill itself" within five years, according to Jose Maria Gay de Liebana, Spain's most prominent football economist.

Gay de Liebana, an economics professor at the Universidad de Barcelona, was in the city on Thursday making his fifth annual presentation on financial issues facing Spanish and European football.

The well-respected professor stated that La Liga's clubs were increasing their revenues but not quickly enough to cover their costs.

"If things go on like this, Spanish football will kill itself," he said. "A year ago I predicted that La Liga had only ten seasons left, now I see that five more would be a lot."

Gay de Liebana believes that the problems stem from the league's television rights deal, which he thinks should be replaced by a model that raises more money and shares it more equally.

"La Liga's television rights are badly sold because they are shared between two operators, when in the rest of Europe negotiations are with one party," he said. "Also, in my opinion, the Chinese market is wrongly prioritised, when the American and Japanese are more relevant. In this way, the global reach of the contracts should be changed."

One of Gay de Liebana's more speculative solutions for helping Spanish clubs to increase their revenues was to form an Iberian league, including Portugal's big three clubs.

"Today the Spanish league is not of great interest," he said. "Adding a Portuguese part would give us extra glamour, with Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon. It would give us more character."

With Catalan independence currently a hot topic, and the Camp Nou crowd chanting in favour of a break with Spain during Wednesday's 3-2 Champions League win over Spartak Moscow, Espanyol fan Gay de Liebana joked that the formation of a Catalan 'La Liga' would allow his side access to the Champions League, but would be a "disaster" for Barcelona.

"A hypothetical Catalan league would be a disaster at the financial and TV level," he said. "I have a lot of affection for Catalan teams, but Espanyol and Barca need to play in Spain, as do Sabadell, Nastic and Girona."

The economist said he would release more detailed financial details on Europe's top five leagues on Friday and that he was working on research showing the long-term detrimental financial effect that Jose Mourinho's transfer policies had on clubs he managed.

I'd love for that to be true but those two matches last season were very difficult and I know you know what I mean. Plus, despite the capital city circus being in town, you know very well we've got a sieve defense atm

Wild guess here, you are talking about these 'dark arts' now aren't you?

benito-archundia-mexico.jpg

Valdes - Alves, Song, Mascherano, Adriano - Cesc, Busquets, Thiago - Alexis, Messi, Villa.

Pinto, Bartra, Alba, Xavi, Sergi Roberto, Pedro, Tello.

Tono - Nyom, I. Lopez, B. Gomez, Siqueira - Torje, Iriney, Brahimi, M. Rico Orellana - Flores.