La Liga - 2012/2013

Think we can say Messi won la liga for Barcelona single handedly.

i think that the effect is mostly on the rival players

he gets in and suddenly, they stop playing against barcelona like against any other team, they start playing scared

Yeah, I think the effect is for both the rivals and his teammates. There's increased confidence for Barcelona, for obvious reasons, and then Messi commands increased attention wherever he is on the pitch - which usually opens things up for others too

Is Barcelona lucky to have Messi, or is Messi lucky to play for Barcelona?

I think we finally have the answer.

I don't know how any barca fan could be happy with that. It's actually really pathetic the way they go crying to a half fit player when they're in trouble.

Best player ever. Every time he plays it's an absolute honour to watch him. It's hilarious that there'll be those out there who still think Ronaldo's better than him. He's just tremendous.

Yeah, who could be happy with some wonderful goals and Leo finally making an appearance. Tears of joy.

Best player in the world - Lionel Messi
2nd Best player - half fit Lionel Messi

Yeah, who could be happy with some wonderful goals and Leo finally making an appearance. Tears of joy.

Best player in the world - Lionel Messi
2nd Best player - half fit Lionel Messi

you need to look at the bigger picture my friend.

The day he gets a really bad injury that doesn't even allow him to make the bench, you guys are up shit creek because the rest of that team doesn't have it in them to do the business.

Yeah, 5 years running - how much bigger does the picture get, btw? Your concerns are touching, take the best player in the world, perhaps of all time, out of a squad and it makes them less impressive - shocking

Would United have won the Premiership without RVP? How many points back would RM be if no CR?

It's not even an imaginative wum, even Cal would be embarrassed

He hasn't had a serious injury since the team went on the up has he?

My point is you expect them to be able to win games without him, not struggling the way they have recently.

Be patronizing as you like. I would have thought getting humiliated in a CL semi final and comprehensively beaten by Madrid a few times in one season might be a real eye opener.

Suddenly I'm enjoying that semi final even more :lol:

Barcelona scored 2 goals tonight without Messi but should've had at least a few more had Villa not Sanchez'd them, so what's your point?

Teams struggle, what did United do today? There's a letdown when you get eliminated, I assumed you'd be able to understand that.

Definite eye opener, still the best player and football that cannot be replicated anywhere and while they go on to win La Liga again, in a trot, they'll try and make it 7 semifinals in a row in Champions League next season - furthering a record they already possess. Most clubs would love to be so unlucky.

Snake, what you're missing here is that Barcelona has never been successful in this era without Messi.. You are blaming them for being less successful without Messi, but that is why they have been this successful..

Any team will be affected if they miss their best player, it's not logical to think that a team missing the best player in the world (for four straight years) would perform on a similar level without him. It is expected that there will be a huge drop in their level without him, not only because they will be so shit without him, but because they are so good with him..

Also being successful for 5 years doesn't make it any less of a success because "Messi wasn't injured". It's the proof that their strategy has worked actually, they took the risk and it worked, for 5 years now (this year included, as one heavy defeat doesn't make it an unsuccessful season if they win La Liga after reaching yet another CL semi-final, for a sixth straight year)..

Turd polishing.

Yeah Villa Sanchez'd them, Thanks very much, that WAS my point. The failure of ours to convert their chances. That's like saying "Barca could have been empty handed this season if Madrid hadn't blundered so much early in the season", but thats pointless.

No offence, but I wouldn't want to replicate Barca's football right now. Keeping possession and conceding loads of goals in the short time they don't have possession. Guardiola's football, yes. The Barca of the last couple of years? No.

You're right though, you'll still win the league, and most teams would like to be that unlucky. But it comes back to what my original point was, you won't be able to sustain this if your main man gets a really lengthy injury. How that is even debatable after what has been seen this season is beyond me.

Snake, what you're missing here is that Barcelona has never been successful in this era without Messi.. You are blaming them for being less successful without Messi, but that is why they have been this successful..

Any team will be affected if they miss their best player, it's not logical to think that a team missing the best player in the world (for four straight years) would perform on a similar level without him. It is expected that there will be a huge drop in their level without him, not only because they will be so shit without him, but because they are so good with him..

Also being successful for 5 years doesn't make it any less of a success because "Messi wasn't injured". It's the proof that their strategy has worked actually, they took the risk and it worked, for 5 years now (this year included, as one heavy defeat doesn't make it an unsuccessful season if they win La Liga after reaching yet another CL semi-final, for a sixth straight year)..

My point is simple.

A top side shouldn't be so dependent on one player at any point. It certainly shouldn't have to field an injured player or half fit player just to put some spark in the rest of the team. I know how good Messi is, but like I said, a really nasty injury where he can't play atall and that team would be in big trouble. I think teams of that stature should prepare and have far better back up than what they do.

Much ado about nothing and nothing more than a Messi wum. Not sustainable? How much longer should Barcelona be dominating football for it to be enough? All we ever hear is everyone is tired of Barcelona winning, your point is nonsensical.

Leo is 25, likely going to pick up his 5th straight Ballon D'Or this year - name a club that wouldn't want to be limited to such incredible dependence. He's unique and as such, you can't compare it to any other situation with any club anywhere at present. He's a generational player and it's normal that with such a weapon, you use it. The team is built around him and why wouldn't it be?

He'll also get reinforcements soon enough to lighten that burden but the Messi show will continue, much to the chagrin of opponents, wums and records that he doesn't yet own.

Are you even reading my posts? Somethings nonsensical here but it certainly isn't me.

Dominating football too? I don't know how to make it any clearer for you, I'm not talking about what Barcelona have ALREADY DONE, and talking about what they are doing NOW and where they are headed.

Apparently Pique said a lot of changes need to be made, maybe his first hand experience has told him something.

La Real, 1-0 up at Getafe after 5 minutes! Vela with a diving header. I hope they manage to finish 4th, would love to see them in the CL.

Atletico have sealed their place in the top three tonight by winning 1-3 at Celta

Madrid look like they're going to delay Barca's title win for another few days. 5-2 up now against (10 man) Malaga. Malaga scored first but it was 4-2 at half time. Oh, and Captain Ronaldo missed a penalty before scoring a few minutes later.

Incidentally the Madrid teams are playing tonight to clear the weekend of the 17th for the Copa final.

Dive from Ronaldo, and Malaga have two players sent off.

feck it, it was against Demichelis, so it's funny.

Yeah, that was a dive indeed, I won't deny that. :nervous:

On the other hand I reckon it was a foul for the second yellow despite Ronaldo hurdling him and only then falling.

I'm not sure what happened to Ozil there - except it looked painful

Ozil's hay fever has worsened, he'll have to come off
:lol:
On the other hand I reckon it was a foul for the second yellow despite Ronaldo hurdling him and only then falling.

I'm not sure what happened to Ozil there - except it looked painful

Hope it's nothing too serious. :(

Who is this Fabinho by the way? I've never even heard of this kid.

a player loaned by castilla. his loan ends this season. then back home. hes not that good. hasnt shown hes worth it. not close to best performer at Castilla... but brazilian and brought in by Mourinho..so he gives him a chance,,,and Mendes is his rep...surprise!!

a player loaned by castilla. his loan ends this season. then back home. hes not that good. hasnt shown hes worth it. not close to best performer at Castilla... but brazilian and brought in by Mourinho..so he gives him a chance,,,and Mendes is his rep...surprise!!

:lol: So Jese can't make an appearance for the first team, yet this guy gets minutes..

Mourinho is trying to make it impossible for the board to keep him I think. They shouldn't sack him IMO, he'll surely resign if we don't?

:lol: So Jese can't make an appearance for the first team, yet this guy gets minutes..

Mourinho is trying to make it impossible for the board to keep him I think. They shouldn't sack him IMO, he'll surely resign if we don't?

I think there have been a couple of disciplinary issues with Jese, on the field and off, that stopped him getting "rewarded" with minutes in the Copa etc and he's not so good yet that he can get "good enough for the first team" time.

Fair enough, Fabinho could be the next best thing, I have no idea how good he is. But the timing of this seems like another "move" from ol' Mou.

Today 11th May - from the BBC so times are UK
Athletic Bilbao v Mallorca 15:00
Valladolid v Deportivo 17:00
Osasuna v Getafe 19:00
Espanyol v Real Madrid 21:00

Sunday 12th May 2013
Rayo Vallecano v Valencia 11:00
Real Betis v Celta de Vigo 16:00
Atl Madrid v Barcelona 18:00
Malaga v Sevilla 20:00

Monday 13th May 2013
Real Sociedad v Granada 21:00

If Real Madrid beat Espanyol tonight then Barcelona need a win against "guaranteed third place" Atletico to (mathematically) win La Liga this weekend.

Though really the biggest thing to be resolved is that last CL spot.
Real Sociedad have the Monday night game again. They lost against Getafe last week which means that Valencia could be back in with a chance of taking fourth from them.

Meanwhile Atletico and Real Madrid will have one eye on next Friday's Copa del Rey final so the team sheets could be interesting. Especially if Mourinho has fallen out with any more of his players :D