La Liga - 2012/2013

I reckon they'll maybe use Messi as a sub. They should give Dani Alves a rest, he's been playing non-stop.

Mallorca-Rayo, good game. Casado, Trashorras and the impressive Piti (this year's Michu) running things. All three of them combined for the opening goal, Trashorras with the long ball into Hutton(?)'s back through to Casado who whipped in a measured cross for Piti to finish on the volley. His 14th league goal already. Michu finished on 15 last season, I think.

Valencia-Málaga and Sevilla-Atlético should be great games. I hope RSoc can keep their momentum going, would be nice to see them getting a CL spot, but Osasuna away is always tough. Depor-Athletic could finish with a crazy scoreline, looking at them recently.

Real Madrid start with:
Diego López; Nacho, Albiol, Carvalho, Marcelo; Casemiro, Modric; Callejón, Özil, Cristiano; Benzema.
I've bolded the three players who are likely to be starters against Dortmund.

Vs

Real Betis - Adrián; Chica, Amaya, Paulao, Álex Martínez; Cañas, Beñat, Nosa; Campbell, Rubén Castro y Pabón

Rubén Castro should've scored there, great cross, decent header but too high.

Very flat game this. I've only been half watching it, but I reckon that's more attention than it deserves. Still, there's always the second half.

Since when did Marcelo lose his starting spot?

He was out for a couple of months with a knee injury and came back overweight. By that time Coentrao had established himself as first choice. Today's injury is apparently just a pulled muscle, so at least he hasn't done his knee again. Even so, that could be his season effectively over.

I don't think this game is going to Mourinho's plan. Marcelo and now Modric off injured, which has meant bringing on Varane and Pepe. I would have bet on Mou taking Ozil and Ronaldo off after the second goal otherwise.

Barcelona start with Valdés; Alves, Adriano, Abidal, Montoya; Song, Thiago, Iniesta; Cesc, Villa y Tello.
Xavi and Busquets are on the bench but Messi's rested completely.

It's Abidal's first game as starter since his liver transplant. Just about exactly a year after the op.

Messi apart, they really lack cutting edge... it's like they're absolutely clueless in and around the box and lack the ball's to just go for it, their build up play was very pacey and they were stretching the play well but once it went to Tello or into the box, it was safety first.

Two banks of 4 in defense and 80% possession, not sure what critics want really

I thought Tito made a mistake by playing Cesc in that trident as he provided little throughout the match until Alexis was brought on (Coupled with Pedro on the other flank). The Levante away match probably gave him the impression he could pull that off again except Leo was playing then

Abidal, first match where he played 90 minutes in more than a year...97% pass completion rate, 18 balls recovered, 0 lost...Wish he had more time to be ready for Bayern, he was excellent

Abidal, first match where he played 90 minutes in more than a year...95% pass completion rate, 18 balls recovered, 0 lost...Wish he had more time to be ready for Bayern, he was excellent

How do you think Barca will line up in defense on Tuesday? Villa playing today probably means a front three of Pedro, Messi and Alexis with Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets in midfield, right? No idea about the back four though, Pique as center back of course but other than him?

I think since Bartra didn't play today, he'll pair with Piqué along with Alba & Alves. Mascherano & Puyol are still out with Javier being suspended anyway. Adriano is a possibility at CB but I think due to his height it'll be Bartra which I'd prefer anyway. I like Adriano but he's the least reliable defender the team has. Since this is Abidal's first 90 min match, seems highly unlikely he'll feature unless there's an injury

Not expecting many surprises in lineups or tactics from either side really. It'll only be a question of performance & intensity with the major themes being pressing & tempo.

I think since Bartra didn't play today, he'll pair with Piqué along with Alba & Alves. Mascherano & Puyol are still out with Javier being suspended anyway. Adriano is a possibility at CB but I think due to his height it'll be Bartra which I'd prefer anyway. I like Adriano but he's the least reliable defender the team has. Since this is Abidal's first 90 min match, seems highly unlikely he'll feature unless there's an injury

Not expecting many surprises in lineups or tactics from either side really. It'll only be a question of performance & intensity with the major themes being pressing & tempo.

Thanks. Haven't seen much of Bartra. How is he playing so far? What are his strength? He's a bit small for a center back, isn't he?

Not so sure about Bayern. Our game without Kroos and Mandzukic should be different to our usual approach. I think it's very likely that Bayern will press deeper than usual, give your center backs more time with the ball compared to what we did vs Juve. Maybe Shaqiri will play. I was surprised he didn't start today and he played great over the last weeks.

Shame Banega is such a nutcase, he's a top quality player.

They have nothing to play for while Valencia can still take 4th place.

Of course they have something to play for. If they don't qualify now for Europe they won't be allowed in if they do so the next season. The sooner they qualify the better.

And I also forgot how the ban works.

They're banned for the next X times they qualify, not the next X years.

Think it's one time in the next 4 years (rather than twice). So if they happen to not qualify in that time then the ban is essentially negligent.

Basically, the next time that they'll qualify for either the CL or the CL they won't be allowed entrance.

Thanks. Haven't seen much of Bartra. How is he playing so far? What are his strength? He's a bit small for a center back, isn't he?

Not so sure about Bayern. Our game without Kroos and Mandzukic should be different to our usual approach. I think it's very likely that Bayern will press deeper than usual, give your center backs more time with the ball compared to what we did vs Juve. Maybe Shaqiri will play. I was surprised he didn't start today and he played great over the last weeks.

He was Segunda player of the year before being promoted which I realize means nada really but a defender doesn't usually win that award, certainly not a Barcelona one. He's right footed, quick, loves to go forward (He's a Barcelona defender, after all) and a natural leader. His game is still very immature in many ways but he hasn't been guilty of many mistakes...although he's not played much this season. He has, however, played in a couple of CL matches this season when he was needed and impressed - particularly against Celtic. He's 1.83m which makes him taller than most of the CBs in the cantera and a reason I think he will play ahead of Adriano who has also platooned at CB - plus, Bartra is tactically smarter than the Brasilian in the center of defense, IMO

You never can tell with some of these defenders, honestly. When I saw him for the first time years ago, I thought he'd never make it in the first team as he gambled too often and seemed more interested in getting up the pitch than defending. But Marc is an intelligent player who has obviously worked on his game.

Would surprise me if Bayern didn't press high up the pitch, even with Pizarro or Gomez leading that line. It's what has made them stand out in this CL. Kroos is a tough absence because he's been quite vital, for me, as well. But again, you lot have so much depth, Heynckes has many options. Shaqiri, would be an interesting option but while I love the Suisse player it might be a gamble not worth taking from the off - as a sub perhaps

Curious about Jupp, doesn't seem to have a record as a particularly impressive manager yet his best stint is with Bayern. Is that down to him, the talent or some combination of both? For me, this is the strongest rival I've seen for Barcelona since 2008

Curious about Jupp, doesn't seem to have a record as a particularly impressive manager yet his best stint is with Bayern. Is that down to him, the talent or some combination of both? For me, this is the strongest rival I've seen for Barcelona since 2008

Jupp's career as a manager is really strange. He should have had way more success but he had serious flaws in man management. In germany he was always ahead of everyone else in tactics though and he was always great in bringing youth into the team. When he came back from retirement in 2006 after some health issues his attitude had changed and now he's doing an outstanding job in keeping a huge squad with lots of difficult players happy. I think that's the main reason why he wasn't successful at a big club earlier in his career.

BTW, if it isn't already clear, and barring any last minute changes, Malaga are likely to be stripped for parts this summer. Qatari money doesn't always translate to easy street. It'll be interesting to see where Isco ends up, among others

BTW, if it isn't already clear, and barring any last minute changes, Malaga are likely to be stripped for parts this summer. Qatari money doesn't always translate to easy street. It'll be interesting to see where Isco ends up, among others

A shame and a farce, unfortunately. Now, Atléti only need to sell Falcao and it's back to square one for La Liga...

A shame and a farce, unfortunately. Now, Atléti only need to sell Falcao and it's back to square one for La Liga...

Confusing to me, honestly. Not sure what the point for Al Thani was in buying the club, perhaps there was an alternative agenda that never quite materialised. There have been longstanding rumours that the Sheikh's primary interest revolves around a hotel & tourist project in nearby Marbella that has not panned out as planned yet. Perhaps his lack of activity/interest in the club is a ploy to push through his other projects since the TV rights didn't pan out like he had hoped either

But an exodus is coming

Isn't there at least a chance that most of Malaga's better players go to Atletico, Valencia, maybe Sevilla? It would be sad if all of them left Spain and the gap between the 2nd tier clubs and Real/Barca widens even further.

Shame Banega is such a nutcase, he's a top quality player.

Yes, Valencia were immense - one of the top performances I've seen outside of the elite this year - and he was at the hub of a lot of it.

Confusing to me, honestly. Not sure what the point for Al Thani was in buying the club, perhaps there was an alternative agenda that never quite materialised. There have been longstanding rumours that the Sheikh's primary interest revolves around a hotel & tourist project in nearby Marbella that has not panned out as planned yet. Perhaps his lack of activity/interest in the club is a ploy to push through his other projects since the TV rights didn't pan out like he had hoped either

But an exodus is coming

Is Pellegrini going to England? i hope so...

Isn't there at least a chance that most of Malaga's better players go to Atletico, Valencia, maybe Sevilla? It would be sad if all of them left Spain and the gap between the 2nd tier clubs and Real/Barca widens even further.

Well, honestly I don't think they'll lose anyone except for Isco, but because of that ban they won't be able to reinforce with the calibre of player they need to consistently battle for top4. Atlético need someone like they had with Diego on loan when they won the Europa League to be able to compete in the CL.

Other than that, Real Sociedad are a great side, but remains to be seen if they can keep it up, especially considering they mainly rely on home-grown products like their Basque rivals Athletic. Valencia are big-game bottlers and Sevilla are consistently inconsistent...

Is Pellegrini going to England? i hope so...

One of many rumours, would be a good move for him. If the Los Che job became available, wonder if that would attract him. But the Premiership would be a solid move and he's a quality manager

Atletico are the only ones outside the big 2 that can be a player in the transfer market. Toulalan has been rumoured to be a target. Perhaps the coveted Camacho would return to the capital, as well. Valencia simply don't buy coveted talent, they have to bargain shop or chase castoffs. Could see Joaquin returning though. Del Nido is also a bargain basement shopper so Sevilla would be out of the question as well.

If RM don't pursue Isco than I imagine he'll be heading to England to the highest bidder

Quite a temperamental game between Sevilla and Atlético. Good thing Medel isn't playing...