La Liga - 2012/2013

Barça play their annual Gamper match against Sampdoria in honour of their Suisse roots tonight :D

In general these are a lot like preseason matches or friendlies but it's also an occasion to see some of the much talked about youth players. 16 cantera players are called up for this match, including Deulofeu, Dongou and Grimaldo

Grimaldo? Is this Ronaldo's evil twin brother?

Pepe's out of hospital apparently - so presumably nothing too serious.
No news yet on what games he'll miss.

A proper knock to the head was probably coming for him after the amount of times he feigned injury and kicked out at other players. Good to see he is fine though, as much as i can't stand him.

As I mentioned on Saturday night, the player who gave Malaga their 0-1 win was Fabrice Olinga, who became the youngest player (16 years 98 days) ever to score in La Liga, beating Iker Muniain's record by a couple of hundred days.

A bit more of his story is starting to come out now. He was discovered in a Samuel Eto'o football school in Cameroon and moved to Mallorca 3 years ago after impressing some of the coaches at an international tournament/trial in Spain. He was living with a Spanish foster family since then and is in a student dorm in Malaga now. Incidentally Dongou, the Barcelona player, came to them through a similar route.

Last week, Olinga thought disaster had struck. Malaga are so messed up at the moment they forgot to renew his student trainee visa, which turned him into an "overstaying immigrant". They only acted on the problem when Pellegrini announced that he needed him for the Saturday's match.

Nice info. I believe there are 5 players from Samu's foundation players from Cameroon at Barcelona, as well

As I mentioned on Saturday night, the player who gave Malaga their 0-1 win was Fabrice Olinga, who became the youngest player (16 years 98 days) ever to score in La Liga, beating Iker Muniain's record by a couple of hundred days.

A bit more of his story is starting to come out now. He was discovered in a Samuel Eto'o football school in Cameroon and moved to Mallorca 3 years ago after impressing some of the coaches at an international tournament/trial in Spain. He's been living with a Spanish family since then. Incidentally Dongou, the Barcelona player, came to them through a similar route.

Last week, Olinga thought disaster had struck. Malaga are so messed up at the moment they forgot to renew his student trainee visa, which turned him into an "overstaying immigrant". They only acted on the problem when Pellegrini announced that he needed him for the Saturday's match.

yeah he's a young lad, though didn't know he beat muniain's record.

nice to hear sammy's school doing well.

wish we had a better pipeline into african talent. I wonder when united will have a geniune african superstar like eto'o or drogba.

Luck has nothing to do with it

Good match but coasted in the 2nd half as they are prepping for the Super Cup.

David VeeYa!
untitled-2hookm.gif

Isn't it Dabeed BEEEEYA?

I think that it is arrogant of Villa to feel the need to publicise his great struggle of being a multi millionaire superstar footballer with a broken leg. If that is the worst thing that happens to him in his life then he is a very lucky man. However, I do take your point that it is ultimately harmless and irrelevant but I just can't find it in me to care about David Villa's broken leg.

Why is that though? Does it really bother you? If it does I'd say it's more pathetic on your part than his. Like kouroux said, you don't know what he went through and how much support his family gave him. If he wants to express that by taking off his shirt and receive a yellow card then let him be, it is a nice gesture in the end, so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

I think that it is arrogant of Villa to feel the need to publicise his great struggle of being a multi millionaire superstar footballer with a broken leg. If that is the worst thing that happens to him in his life then he is a very lucky man. However, I do take your point that it is ultimately harmless and irrelevant but I just can't find it in me to care about David Villa's broken leg.

If you couldn't go to work for 8 months*, nor have anything to do with your hobby for the same amount of time, and underwent surgery, wouldn't you be happy to be back, and happy to have had the support of your immediate family during that time?

Don't think anyone is silly enough to liken it to a deadly illness or anything, but it's just a little sign of affection for his wife and child, nothing more.

* assuming you love your job

"It has been a difficult time and it is nice to be back," Villa told Spanish television with a big grin.

"I am pleased to be able to say I can forget about the injury now. I have had five weeks training at the maximum level but my body still struggles to reach the levels necessary to play more minutes.

"I'll keep on working until I can eventually play a full game again."

I can't find any suggestion anywhere that says anything else. I defend my right not to care about David Villa's broken leg and to get annoyed by the endless t-shirt messages and tributes that we are subjected to these days.

All he says its its nice to be back and over the injury. Wheres the part where he says he thanked his family for that reason?

It's your right to criticize him alright, I respect your opinion even if I think it's a lot of hatred for absolutely nothing

Oh yeah what an arrogant asshole he is for thanking the people that helped him during his injury.

Just like these bastards sending out greetings to their mothers, wives or children.

Such self centered bastards thinking the cameras are there for them to say thanks to people that mean something to them.

:rolleyes:

It's your right to criticize him alright, I respect your opinion even if I think it's a lot of hatred for absolutely nothing

I have no hatred for Villa or anyone, not even Suarez. However, his brave struggle of having his broken leg heal after receiving the best treatment money can buy does not impress me one bit. You wouldn't see Paul Scholes fannying around like that, he would just get on with it, must be a cultural thing. I accept though, that it must be a nice gesture for his loved ones, it is just that his 'struggles' to me just are not note worthy, he has a great life though, of that there is no question.

BTW, it is nice of you to say that you respect my opinion, even though you think it is stupid.

The hospital in La Paz confirmed that Pepe has a concussion and is ruled out for the game against Barcelona on Thursday. :(

Will be refreshing to to see them play Barca without using Pepe in CM, hounding Messi and other players. More football to go around and less chance of something that doesn't belong on a football pitch to happen.

Borrowed from the BBC so these are UK times:

Saturday, 25 August 2012
Real Sociedad v Celta de Vigo, 18:00
Espanyol v Real Zaragoza, 20:00
Real Betis v Rayo Vallecano, 20:00
Malaga v Mallorca, 22:00

Sunday, 26 August 2012
Osasuna v Barcelona, 18:00
Getafe v Real Madrid, 20:00
Granada v Sevilla, 20:00
Valencia v Deportivo La Coruna, 22:00

Monday, 27 August 2012
Valladolid v Levante, 19:00
Atletico Madrid v Athletic Bilbao, 21:00

The most interesting looking game is probably Monday's Atletico V Athletic

The big two?
Getafe's a derby match for Madrid and they can make Madrid's life hard but they probably won't.
Osasuna is the first test of Barcelona away, but Barca have looked so strong in their first couple of games it's hard to see Osasuna slowing them down.

Barca start with
Valdés, Alves, Puyol, Piqué, Alba, Busquets, Iniesta, Cesc, Alexis, Tello y Messi.

Subs: Pinto, Mascherano, Adriano, Pedro, Song, Xavi y Villa.

Incidentally, the result of last night's "kids clasico" (actually a Liga2 game) was Real Madrid Castilla 3 Barcelona B 2

That Barca kit is hideous

Yes it is. But it does make me want to drink tequila sunrises, so I guess it's good for the Mexican economy.

I really hate the stadium in Pamplona, you can't see anything because of the shade around the goal zone.

I know it's been mentioned already but..what the hell are they wearing?