La Liga - 2012/2013

La Liga may have the 2 best teams in the world with the greatest players but they certainly have no competition. How can a league be considered great when Barcelona or Real Madrid destroy every other team 6-1 every weekend? Ok Real Madrid haven't done it that often this season but it will come again soon enough.

That's what makes the English Premier League the best in the world, we have great clubs, history, and competition.

The rest of la liga is still better in many cases than the rest of the premier league.

Seville and Getafe are mid table but for me would be superior than the likes of Fulham, WBA and Stoke in the PL midtable.

But I agree that the PL for me is more interesting, although I rarely tire of watching Barc and Real destroy teams.

La Liga may have the 2 best teams in the world with the greatest players but they certainly have no competition. How can a league be considered great when Barcelona or Real Madrid destroy every other team 6-1 every weekend? Ok Real Madrid haven't done it that often this season but it will come again soon enough.

That's what makes the English Premier League the best in the world, we have great clubs, history, and competition.

Yeah, nothing that looks like a one horse race in the EPL this season. :wenger:

The rest of la liga is still better in many cases than the rest of the premier league.

Seville and Getafe are mid table but for me would be superior than the likes of Fulham, WBA and Stoke in the PL midtable.

But I agree that the PL for me is more interesting, although I rarely tire of watching Barc and Real destroy teams.

Not so sure about that tbh. And more than the mid table teams the bottom 5 in England would be stronger than there.

i think that the PL is more interesting than la liga because more teams start the season with chances of wining it

but real madrid played 23 games of wich they lost 5 and tied 4

how do you know that?

There's a stronger structure in place beneath in the championship and these teams have a financial advantage where the likes of Newcastle and QPR can attract Remy/Cabaye/Santon/Sissoko etc...

Beyond that there's no conclusive way of telling, except for analysis and subjective opinion.

They've been completely dominating as well... And more than half the Espanyol side is on a yellow card :lol:

Then they score and it's disallowed, rightly, for offside... Ouch. Not been Susaeta's night.

So, what's the deal with Valdes? Is he really not going to sign a new contract or was that just a ploy to get an improved deal?

I doubt it's a ploy. Apart from the story that he wants to experience a different culture etc., there's another theory out there that he's upset with Zubizarreta and the change in keeper coaches from summer. Zubi, himself a former keeper for the club, butting heads with the current #1 keeper is possible but no one is quite sure and Victor has still not said anything publicly which makes all of it a bit strange, IMO.

The goalkeeper can be a thankless job, especially at Barcelona - he's seen his ups & downs from the fans & club I imagine but he's also the sort who marches to the beat of his own drummer which makes a move abroad understandable. It's the timing of it and the way him & his agent publicly dealt with the renewal talks that were odd & possibly giving support to the theory of conflict with Zubi.

Rayo-Atléti up next, there should be goals in that (their first encounter finished 4-3 in favor of Atlético). This would be a big win for them in terms of keeping RM at bay.

Falcao misses a good opportunity with a header, that's 2 great crosses by Adrián for Falcao now and he looks a bit off his game.

What a goal by Léo Baptistão! 2-0, great cross by Lass.

Amazing build-up play by Piti and Javi Fuego as well.

I've been looking at Rayo's results from this season and last. Are they nuts?

Yep. They have to be with their budget. They don't do draws either (only 1 out of 22 league games this season); which is always entertaining, I guess. :D

For anyone interested: Piti is this season's Michu, only even older. 10 goals in 19 games from midfield/wing.

In one of the leagues, the top team is 12, 16 and 17 points ahead of 2nd, 3rd and 4th and that same team has picked up 12 of the 20 titles available in the past 20 years.

The other league is la liga.

I think of all the leagues to complain about dominance by 1 or 2 teams, the followers of our league are certainly not in the position to be the ones complaining.

Iniesta has really stepped up this season. Best period in his career at the moment.

He may well be the best (or at least the most on form) player in the world at the moment. Messi has been a bit slack in his overall play sometimes despite the productivity, whilst Iniesta has just been an absolute joy to watch. That pass today was just...:drool:

I was thinking the other day that watching Iniesta is a bit like watching The Wire. You watch both in a constant state of mild awe, whilst on occasions being taken aback by moments of absolute genius. This season it feels like these moments have been more prevalent and that his overall threat has been greater.

I was thinking the other day that watching Iniesta is a bit like watching The Wire. You watch both in a constant state of mild awe, whilst on occasions being taken aback by moments of absolute genius. This season it feels like these moments have been more prevalent and that his overall threat has been greater.

I agree. Iniesta’s first touch, close control, penetrating pass, and intelligent movement have all reached an incredibly outstanding level this season, beyond any degree of excellence and consistency I’ve witnessed in his performances during previous years. Consequently, the magnitude of impact he's been having on Barca's overall attacking potency has vastly increased.

From the BBC so times are UK.

Friday 15th February 2013
Sevilla v Deportivo 20:30

Saturday 16th February 2013
Getafe v Celta de Vigo 15:00
Malaga v Athletic Bilbao 17:00
Granada v Barcelona 19:00
Osasuna v Real Zaragoza 21:00

Sunday 17th February 2013
Real Sociedad v Levante 12:00
Valencia v Mallorca 16:00
Valladolid v Atl Madrid 18:00
Espanyol v Real Betis 20:00
Real Madrid v Rayo Vallecano 20:00

So, nothing too dramatic this weekend (though for some reason I'm looking forward to tonight's Sevilla match.)

Barcelona are expected to travel without Villa who's been in hospital with kidney stones this week and Xavi (still recovering from injury). Granada will give it a go, but having beat Madrid this month it's hard to see lightning striking twice.

With Madrid it's teamwatch time of course. It's assumed by most people that Alonso will be rested for a couple of games. Rumour has it that Mourinho's fed up with both of his number 9s - which could mean he'll actually stop rotating and let one of them build his confidence up, or alternatively that he'll experiment without them. Then there's the enigmatic Di Maria, is he going to get back to its best form or sink back down again.

That said. Rayo are in sixth place and playing the best I've seen them play in years so it should be a proper match.

Navas and Rakitic have been brilliant, so has Valerón for Depor... such a class act. :drool:

Navas and Rakitic have been brilliant, so has Valerón for Depor... such a class act. :drool:

Sevilla are a frustrating team, they're so nearly good. Navas has to be the definition of an, "on his day," player - he can be so good some weeks. You have to wonder what kind of player he'd have been if he'd been able to get over the homesickness and fear of travel.

Sevilla are a frustrating team, they're so nearly good. Navas has to be the definition of an, "on his day," player - he can be so good some weeks. You have to wonder what kind of player he'd have been if he'd been able to get over the homesickness and fear of travel.

Yeah it's mind-boggling how Sevilla can be so inconsistent, but then that's a criticism you could level at a lot of Liga teams on the brink of European places, IMO the competition is really fierce between places 5-15 and away games are always a stumbling block for any team outside the "big two" (just look at Atlético's home/away record this season!)

home: 12 played, 12W (!), 0D, 0L; 33 GF, 6 GA (!!) (+27); 36/36 pts
away: 11 played, 4W, 2D, 5L; 11 GF (!!), 17 GA (-6); 14/33 pts

They've a perfect home record, 1st ahead of Barça and RM, and are only 6th in away record, behind (in order) Barça, Betis, Málaga, RM and Valencia.

Curiously Betis have the 2nd best away record with a negative goal difference :lol: courtesy of getting thumped 5-1 in the Seville derby, I presume?

Re: Navas, he was consistently outstanding in the period 2007-2010 with decent end product as well. I haven't really been following them the past 2-3 seasons, but I guess their major problem is with the holding mids and central MF in general? They used to have Zokora and Romaric who started out brightly but didn't last too long, then they had some failed transfers in Cigarini and Guarente and I really thought when they got Medel and Rakitic they would get back to their pre-Guardiola state but it hasn't quite happened. That Kondogbia fellow seems a good prospect from what little I've seen of him and at a very young age as well.

Another thing to note is how Sevilla have perennially bottled European games ever since their back-to-back UEFA Cup wins, their results and performances getting increasingly worse. Starting with defeat to an (admittedly strong) Fenerbahce on penalties in 2008 CL round of 16; followed up by a ridiculous 1-2 home defeat after getting a good 1-1 result in the 1st leg against CSKA (2010 CL, R16); and then getting beaten by Braga in a CL playoff in 2011 and by Mönchengladbach in a qualifying game for the EL in 2012... Somewhere in between there was getting eliminated in the UEFA Cup group stage in '09. Quite a downfall since 2007. I'm guessing Palop and Navas are the only ones left from those days? (Fazio was in the youth system back then if I recall, and he also hasn't really turned out as expected).

Getafe beat Celta impressively, 3-1. Barrada and Colunga with great performances.

Now, Málaga-Athletic, should be good

1-0 Málaga, Lucas Piazon with a pulled back cross after a nice dribble, Saviola scores.

:eek: Caballero with a point blank reflex save on what looked like a made goal by Aduritz, holy feck! He's truly been miles ahead of other keepers in La Liga this season.

Isco with a roulette to evade two challenges :drool:

Quite a downfall since 2007. I'm guessing Palop and Navas are the only ones left from those days? (Fazio was in the youth system back then if I recall, and he also hasn't really turned out as expected).

You amaze me Skorenzy, my memory for detail only extends as far as United and even there I tend to recall the emotions more than the specifics of who was doing what in a particular season - certainly if I have to back more than a handful of years I need a stats site to help me out with the season's ups and downs, who were the regulars and so on.

When it comes to Spanish football, outside the big two clubs, I tend to only remember the names of players who I want us to buy or who I hear linked to a big move, or who really stand out in a big game.

At the moment I'm still brooding over Operation Puerto, Real Sociedad's big year and Valencia's best years. I used to go to watch Valencia at times back then and there's now this big question mark over all my best memories of them.

OK - ramble over :D