La Liga - 2012/2013

Adrian has played more games as a sub than as a starter. Atletico only play with the one striker so his chances are limited. Atletico aren't that great at creating chances either. Falcao just makes the most of them.
Wouldn't be too hard on him. He's the 2nd fiddle and hasn't gotten a 90 minute game once for them in the league this season.

He has started 19 games in all competitions, including all 6 europa games (0 goals). When diego costa came back nobody expected him to outshine Adrian this season but it has happened. Anyway it's Falcao - Adrian as a pair tonight. Lets see how he does

Excellent play by Dani Alves and perfect cross to Villa who misses from close range!

Barca have scored 2 goals or more in every league game apart from the two games against Valencia.

Soldado had an excellent opportunity to win it for Valencia at the very end. Fabregas and Villa both missed good chances in the second half that could have given Barca a decisive lead. So overall, a draw is a fair result considering how play generally transpired for the entirety of the match.

:lol: Boy, Skor were you wrong this time! I'm honestly having trouble staying awake...

Yeah, looks like Granada - Real Madrid :D

Atléti's style is quite dour... but it works, 6 clean sheets in a row at home in the league (7 if they hold on), 100% record. I didn't really think they'd be able to fend off RM especially when the injury to Falcao coincided with the thrashing by Athletic and dropping points against Mallorca, but as long as they can keep up this incredible home form they could outlast RM. Still only a slim chance though, they've lost to all the tougher teams away, RM, Barça, Valencia, Athletic and drew at Levante and Mallorca.

How 'bout that, good ol' Atléti the only team in the top 6 to win their match this weekend. 2 years ago that would have sounded ridiculous. :lol:

Atleti's style might not be the most entertaining but they were missing one of their main outlets tonight in Filipe. Cisma may look alike from afar but he is 1/10th the player. They really missed Filipe tonight, as they have done any other time he's been out.

If I am not wrong, Barcelona has poor record after the internationals, both looking by performances and results, but I'm sure she will find way to entertain you later.

My lovely girlfriend is taking me to Barcelona for my birthday and has got me tickets for Sunday's game. Not the best timing though, how strong a team do you reckon we're likely to see?

Xavi is out but otherwise it's a pretty full squad and it's Getafe - it'll be the strongest XI available

How 'bout that, good ol' Atléti the only team in the top 6 to win their match this weekend. 2 years ago that would have sounded ridiculous. :lol:

5-10 years ago a season like they've had and the league title would be in the bag.

That's amazing news, thanks guys. I figured after the internationals and with Champions' League round the corner there might be a bit of resting. I'm very, very excited.

Can't remember Barca or Madrid resting more than two starters or so in the middle of the season. They usually go all out on paper.

This weekend's games - from the BBC so all times are UK

Saturday 9th February 2013
Mallorca v Osasuna 15:00
Celta de Vigo v Valencia 17:00
Levante v Malaga 19:00
Deportivo v Granada 21:00
Real Madrid v Sevilla 21:00

Sunday 10th February 2013
Barcelona v Getafe 11:00 (Barca's first noon Spain-time kickoff in decades)
Real Zaragoza v Real Sociedad 16:00
Athletic Bilbao v Espanyol 18:00
Rayo Vallecano v Atl Madrid 20:00

Monday 11th February 2013
Real Betis v Valladolid 20:30

So this weekend it's all about Real Madrid - Sevilla.
The squad: Varane, Di Maria and Alonso are out injured. Ozil's suspended. Marcelo is not in the squad because Mou left him out. Kaka is back in the squad, and the news of the day is that Pepe is in there as well.

The clasico build-up has started early. TV3, a Catalan TV station, decided to do a video comparing Real Madrid's players to hyenas ("hunting in a pack or alone") in pursuit of the defenceless gazelle (guess who)

Madrid are annoyed, saying it's a crude attempt to put pressure on the ref before the Copa del Rey semifinal and the Liga match, and stir up a dangerously hostile atmosphere in the Camp Nou.

I admit I laughed when I saw it, but I can see Madrid's point. It's not a fan video it's something a regional TV station is putting in its sports news as a wind-up.

They've also apologized for that.

No pressure will result, it's Mallenco after all - Mou has conditioned him just fine, they have nothing to fear. As for TV3, one could argue that the evidence does seem to favor their position

No pressure will result, it's Mallenco after all - Mou has conditioned him just fine, they have nothing to fear. As for TV3, one could argue that the evidence does seem to favor their position

Aside from the fact that it's a petty thing to do, this is hardly a shining beacon of objective, balanced reporting. But then, no sports daily in Spain probably is.

I wonder if things like this, ever since Mourinho took charge of RM, have influenced the change in Messi's game a bit. I feel that nowadays he gives up a lot easier and just trusts on the ref to give him the call, and he also seems to complain a lot more.

On the topic of the content of that video, the worst treatment I've seen Madrid give Messi was probably in the first clásico in 08/09 or the first one in 09/10, when he was just being fouled systematically throughout the entire match.

You're right although this is the first time I can recall local media from the Barcelona side going to these lengths in many years. I suspect it's down to frustration over what is perceived as preferential treatment under Mou by the referees and again, the evidence does seem to support that position. I agree, though, that it doesn't do anyone any good, truth be told.

The reality is the Messi treatment by the capital club hasn't been all that different whether it was under Capello, Pellegrini, Schuster, Ramos or Mou - the difference, IMHO, is that players used to get booked for these things. Now, players like Alonso & Arbeloa have some sort of free pass. I actually think Leo complains less now and has come to expect it, leaving it to his teammates or the coach to lobby.

Mallenco is really one of the two worst choices for this return leg but I'm not surprised

You're right although this is the first time I can recall local media from the Barcelona side going to these lengths in many years. I suspect it's down to frustration over what is perceived as preferential treatment under Mou by the referees and again, the evidence does seem to support that position. I agree, though, that it doesn't do anyone any good, truth be told.

The reality is the Messi treatment by the capital club hasn't been all that different whether it was under Capello, Pellegrini, Schuster, Ramos or Mou - the difference, IMHO, is that players used to get booked for these things. Now, players like Alonso & Arbeloa have some sort of free pass. I actually think Leo complains less now and has come to expect it, leaving it to his teammates or the coach to lobby.

Mallenco is really one of the two worst choices for this return leg but I'm not surprised

I meant in general, not against RM, whom he's seemed a bit apathetic towards lately (regardless of those rumours about a "confrontation" with Arbeloa). But his attitude in general has transitioned ever since the successful 2010/11 season, also in the way that he's less involved in the deeper midfield build-up and far more focused on scoring, he runs less intensely, his pressing is almost non-existant in some games and he seems more irritable in general compared to his mercurial 2010 when things didn't always work out and even when they're playing far better as a team now.

On the Messi topic, I'm glad to see him coming up with some amazing plays again these past few games, when it seemed he'd petered out a bit offensively, he's such a genius playmaker when he drops deeper -- a glimpse of his future, perhaps?

An unusual lineup for Madrid:
Diego López; Arbeloa, Albiol, Ramos, Coentrao; Essien, Modric; Cristiano, Kaká, Benzema e Higuaín

Sevilla start with: Beto, Coke, Fazio, Spahic, Navarro, Maduro, Medel, Navas, Reyes, Kondogbia y Negredo.

Willy Caballero is such an impressive keeper coming off his line; I can only remember Messi circumventing him from close range.

Diego López; Arbeloa, Albiol, Ramos, Coentrao; Essien, Modric; Cristiano, Kaká, Benzema e Higuaín

Sevilla start with: Beto, Coke, Fazio, Spahic, Navarro, Maduro, Medel, Navas, Reyes, Kondogbia y Negredo.
Subs: Adán, Pepe, Khedira, Özil, Carvalho, Callejón y Morata

Strong team for Real, who is rested from that who's likely to play on Wednesday?

Too bad Rakitic got his dumb ass suspended for this game :rolleyes:, he was on fire these past few games.

Strong team for Real, who is rested from that who's likely to play on Wednesday?

Xabi Alonso (injured actually), Pepe (returning) Khedira, Özil, Di María.
Marcelo... maybe.

I went to see this match at the Bernabeu last season, we were in a slightly better position than this year though...