Kylian Mbappé | Real Madrid watch

I do think he's lost a bit of dynamism from 2 years ago.

But we'll see how the season progresses.

He’s probably not that interested anymore, his last contract at PSG was ridiculous.

That’s the problem with players these days they’re paid far too much at a young age.

All the people that said he was going to be the Messi of this generation look so silly now. All he has ever achieved is a good few minutes for France in the world cup. If pace is his best weapon his best year may well be behind him. Might end up the highest paid player in European football history.

All the people that said he was going to be the Messi of this generation look so silly now. All he has ever achieved is a good few minutes for France in the world cup. If pace is his best weapon his best year may well be behind him. Might end up the highest paid player in European football history.
No one ever said that.

I'm not his biggest fan but it's not necessarily all his fault, something has to give so they either build the team around him and sacrifice a few of their already performing superstars or watch their carefully built machine fall apart.

2-3 years ago, i was for it, but always had the feeling he wasn't a good fit this time around, and i think most RM-fans thought the same, but Perez gonna Perez, mostly for good, but sometimes bad.

What's his contract situation in Madrid anyway, would he be out of reach should it get ugly?

Where?

No one ever referred to Mbappe as the Messi of this generation that I know of. Because it's ludicrous. Messi was far more talented than Mbappe is and was getting talked about as the best player ever following the 2011 CL final. No one has ever said that about Mbappe.

All the people that said he was going to be the Messi of this generation look so silly now.
He's not a playmaker like Messi. At best, he was going to be another Ronaldo if he was as motivated and prolific at goalscoring after switching to the centre. Mbappe is more reliant on speed than Ronaldo, so his transition from winger to central talisman isn't working out as well. His game has never been about guile as much as explosiveness.

France builds their team around Mbappe but I doubt Madrid would or should, France was toothless at the Euros because he was off-form.

What a torrid display in the final third from him. Looks a shadow of the player he used to be. Needs to get his act sorted as Madrid is not a club for patience.

He is a great player with a high ceiling, but all the comparisons with Ronaldo and the mind-blowing wages/prizes got into his head.
Not sure if he has the mental to be the player he can be
He fecked up by choosing money and staying too long at PSG comfortably bullying the Ligue Un.

It massively hamepered his development.

guy has 10 goal contributions in 14 appearances. he was "poor" in front of goal today (even though he had a very good finish though he was offside), and he's still settling in, he likes to occupy spaces that some of Madrid's best players, namely Vinicius, already occupy, but the talk in this thread is so exaggerated right now

guy has 10 goal contributions in 14 appearances. he was "poor" in front of goal today (even though he had a very good finish though he was offside), and he's still settling in, he likes to occupy spaces that some of Madrid's best players, namely Vinicius, already occupy, but the talk in this thread is so exaggerated right now
It's really not because having just stats isn't what's expected of him. His actual performances have been very underwhelming

It's really not because having just stats isn't what's expected of him. His actual performances have been very underwhelming

He looks like a player settling into a new team and position/role all the while still putting numbers on the board. Evidently he’s not been at his best but people are talking as if it’s been a disaster, which clearly hasn’t

shell of former self”
“not that interested anymore”
“All he has ever achieved is a good few minutes for France

all of the above in the last page and you’re saying the talk in the thread right now isn’t exaggerated. Come on man

He looks like a player settling into a new team and position/role all the while still putting numbers on the board. Evidently he’s not been at his best but people are talking as if it’s been a disaster, which clearly hasn’t

shell of former self”
“not that interested anymore”
“All he has ever achieved is a good few minutes for France

all of the above in the last page and you’re saying the talk in the thread right now isn’t exaggerated. Come on man
You're righr. However we all remember how he was at Monaco and in his first 3 seasons at PSG, he was scoring but he was participating a lot more in the game, he was threatening, he was a real problem when carrying the ball. Defenders were really scared of him, he's lost that aura.

You're righr. However we all remember how he was at Monaco and in his first 3 seasons at PSG, he was scoring but he was participating a lot more in the game, he was threatening, he was a real problem when carrying the ball. Defenders were really scared of him, he's lost that aura.

He's playing in a different role, in which his involvement in the game, creation and ball carrying will be considerably more limited. This is something Madrid and him should have thought about before the transfer. Vinicius is by several reports a lock-in for ballon d'or so it's not like they can - or would - just drop him, and he occupies Mbappe's preferred spaces.

Maybe he's lost some of that flair and edge - I think it's too early to tell (and even if he hasn't, there are less chances to show it due to his position) - but yeah, the guy's settling into a new team and "learning" a new role - I'm not surprised to see teething/growing pains, yet the productivity's still there.

The talk in this thread is just a bit over the top right now, and reeks of people being desperate to see him fail (and I don't particularly like Madrid).

He's playing in a different role, in which his involvement in the game, creation and ball carrying will be considerably more limited. This is something Madrid and him should have thought about before the transfer. Vinicius is by several reports a lock-in for ballon d'or so it's not like they can - or would - just drop him, and he occupies Mbappe's preferred spaces.

Maybe he's lost some of that flair and edge - I think it's too early to tell (and even if he hasn't, there are less chances to show it due to his position) - but yeah, the guy's settling into a new team and "learning" a new role - I'm not surprised to see teething/growing pains, yet the productivity's still there.

The talk in this thread is just a bit over the top right now, and reeks of people being desperate to see him fail (and I don't particularly like Madrid).
Let's forget his new role at Real Madrid, his level seriously dropped at PSG already for at least 18 months before he joined. The stats were always there but the displays, the true footballing content ? It's been average for a while now.
I want him to succeed tbh but can't help he's paying his greed for staying at PSG when he had a chance to join them earlier.

Let's forget his new role at Real Madrid, his level seriously dropped at PSG already for at least 18 months before he joined. The stats were always there but the displays, the true footballing content ? It's been average for a while now.
I want him to succeed tbh but can't help he's paying his greed for staying at PSG when he had a chance to join them earlier.

I was only addressing the current talk in this thread with the initial post you quoted. Post wasn’t snapshot commentary on what his earlier potential suggested in terms of learning curve nor “true footballing content” in contrast to what we’re seeing now. Surely if his level dropped as much as you suggest for 18 months before he joined - expectations needed to be adjusted, no?

Personally, I wouldn’t describe Mbappe as average at any point of his career thus far.

I also never really understood why staying at PSG is always negatively framed as “greed”. I’d actually like to see more players do that more often, but this is a different conversation entirely.

Reminds me of the Sanchez transfer to us. His form dipped significantly in his half-season at Arsenal, yet people just swept it as "his head not in the right state". We also didn't think that hard about the fact that we already had prime Martial and Rashford on that left side, both very young and needed game time.

I was only addressing the current talk in this thread with the initial post you quoted. Post wasn’t snapshot commentary on what his earlier potential suggested in terms of learning curve nor “true footballing content” in contrast to what we’re seeing now. Surely if his level dropped as much as you suggest for 18 months before he joined - expectations needed to be adjusted, no?

Personally, I wouldn’t describe Mbappe as average at any point of his career thus far.

I also never really understood why staying at PSG is always negatively framed as “greed”. I’d actually like to see more players do that more often, but this is a different conversation entirely.
You're right but I know a lot of people weren't paying attention to that, they were just seeing he was scoring fairly regularly in the Ligue 1 and here and there in the CL. Football is fortunately more than stats.

If you remind yourself on the details of why he stayed at PSG, it was 1000% based on greed and power.

Reminds me of the Sanchez transfer to us. His form dipped significantly in his half-season at Arsenal, yet people just swept it as "his head not in the right state". We also didn't think that hard about the fact that we already had prime Martial and Rashford on that left side, both very young and needed game time.
A bit of different scenario but I can still see the similarities. It's up to him to regain his form because he either makes it as a 9 or he becomes an expensive bench warmer

Instead of going to one of the top league to maximise his potential he stayed at PSG because they offered him an eye watering sum of money even by oil club standards. Surely you’re not suggesting the sum of money is a mere coincidence and he just stayed out of loyalty to PSG or Ligue 1? Of course it was absolute greed.

There was absolutely no other reason to stay that long in France, the league is simply not good enough. Mbappe should have gone to Spain or England about four years ago. He's way behind schedule.

There was absolutely no other reason to stay that long in France, the league is simply not good enough. Mbappe should have gone to Spain or England about four years ago. He's way behind schedule.
We would have gotten Mbappe if he came to England 2 years ago. His idol CR7 was right here.

You're right but I know a lot of people weren't paying attention to that, they were just seeing he was scoring fairly regularly in the Ligue 1 and here and there in the CL. Football is fortunately more than stats.

If you remind yourself on the details of why he stayed at PSG, it was 1000% based on greed and power.

Instead of going to one of the top league to maximise his potential he stayed at PSG because they offered him an eye watering sum of money even by oil club standards. Surely you’re not suggesting the sum of money is a mere coincidence and he just stayed out of loyalty to PSG or Ligue 1? Of course it was absolute greed.

Mbappe is reportedly the highest paid player at Madrid. He wasn't going to Madrid - and isn't at Madrid now - as a "volunteer". PSG likely paid more, but it was eye watering money at PSG as it would have been at Madrid.

The notion that going to Madrid would have "maximised" his sporting potential is mostly anchored by wishful-thinking, yet people speak of it as if it was a certainty. PSG has been chasing a CL for a while, and in 2021 or 2022 they had a team that should have delivered it. He was at home, with some of the best players to have ever played the game, with a decent shout of delivering for his "local" - why the feck not? I'm not saying the money wasn't enticing nor primary motivation, but people always post about the matter so definitively on some "Pep or Money" Guillem Ballague style.

Either way, more players need to say no to supposed big clubs more often and instead of joining stacked institutions, try to compete against them.

Mbappe is reportedly the highest paid player at Madrid. He wasn't going to Madrid - and isn't at Madrid now - as a "volunteer". PSG likely paid more, but it was eye watering money at PSG as it would have been at Madrid.

The notion that going to Madrid would have "maximised" his sporting potential is mostly anchored by wishful-thinking, yet people speak of it as if it was a certainty. PSG has been chasing a CL for a while, and in 2021 or 2022 they had a team that should have delivered it. He was at home, with some of the best players to have ever played the game, with a decent shout of delivering for his "local" - why the feck not? I'm not saying the money wasn't enticing nor primary motivation, but people always post about the matter so definitively on some "Pep or Money" Guillem Ballague style.

Either way, more players need to say no to supposed big clubs more often and instead of joining stacked institutions, try to compete against them.
He's taken a huge paycut, a massive one if we're honest. If we were talking about any other player, I'd 100% agree with you. However Mbappe's storytelling and how he built up his image and career on and off the pitch, how he's been bigging himself up to win multiple Ballon d'Ors etc etc... staying at PSG made absolutely no sense from a footballing POV

Probably the court case with PSG and his personal issues weighing on him. When those two things sorted I imagine he'll improve.

He's also overrated though and one of those who won too young and had it too easy at PSG to develop more.

Where?

No one ever referred to Mbappe as the Messi of this generation that I know of. Because it's ludicrous. Messi was far more talented than Mbappe is and was getting talked about as the best player ever following the 2011 CL final. No one has ever said that about Mbappe.
Jesus!! I sincerely hope you are aware that (despite your opinion) ‘things’ can indeed happen without you actually knowing.

Where?

'messi of his generation' not 'messi'

He's not a playmaker like Messi. At best, he was going to be another Ronaldo if he was as motivated and prolific at goalscoring after switching to the centre. Mbappe is more reliant on speed than Ronaldo, so his transition from winger to central talisman isn't working out as well. His game has never been about guile as much as explosiveness.

France builds their team around Mbappe but I doubt Madrid would or should, France was toothless at the Euros because he was off-form.
Agree totally. And I'm not comparing him to Messi directly, don't know why it's causing so much confusion. Messi and Ronaldo were the top players of the last generation and people were saying mbappe and haaland would be that for this generation, with similar levels of achievement. Haaland looks good for that so far, as little as I rate his general play, he will break records and win many many trophies. Mbappe never looked like he could achieve on that level.

Isn't most of it through the way of pens?

Agree totally. And I'm not comparing him to Messi directly, don't know why it's causing so much confusion. Messi and Ronaldo were the top players of the last generation and people were saying mbappe and haaland would be that for this generation, with similar levels of achievement. Haaland looks good for that so far, as little as I rate his general play, he will break records and win many many trophies. Mbappe never looked like he could achieve on that level.

I get you. And you’re right. The analogy was about him and Mbappe being as far ahead of their peers as Messi/Ronaldo. But it looks like Mbappe will be just one of a whole bunch of similarly talented players. Must boil his piss that one of those currently plays for the same team as him, performing a lot better than him in his preferred position.