2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

didz

It wouldn’t surprise me if he did this and then revert to the old guard for next weekend’s PL game and subsequently lose the game.
There can't be any way Mainoo starts tonight surely?

Dannn411

So essentially Mainoo is not playing tonight. Thanks for the the heads up.

Irwin99

I'm really skeptical about putting faith in young academy players to turn around a club's fortune as it's just not fair in the least but EtH could do with this guy having a similar impact to what Rashford had when LvG introduced him to the first team. Such is the terrible place we're in at the moment.

With the midfield the way it is, it can't be any worse to try him out for a few games.

Dr. StrangeHate

Considering how bad we are at the moment, throwing in a promising youngster (in a midfield position no less) is just setting him up for failure unless he is a Jude level of talent. Use him as a sub in games we are winning for now.

Lewnited

Considering how bad we are at the moment, throwing in a promising youngster (in a midfield position no less) is just setting him up for failure unless he is a Jude level of talent. Use him as a sub in games we are winning for now.
I think he's a supreme talent but I'm 100% with you here. I'm not sure there's a player in the league that could excel in our current suicidal midfield set up, so I'd prefer to keep him on the periphery until ETH either changes things or gets the boot.

Red_toad

Him, Amrabat and Mount would be a good trio in my opinion, as long as he's got experienced players around him he'll be fine. I certainly think Ten Hag needs to be playing 2 deeper players, as we're just wide open and very vulnerable with 2 of Eriksen, Bruno or Mount starting.

Biggins

Poor kid may not see the pitch for a long time in such case!

poleglass red

Our next 4 games are Fulham, Copenhagen, Luton, and Everton. He needs to start seeing playing time in these games. Our current set up in midfield isn't working, we need to try something different. The Fulham game, I'd give him 20 mins or so, if he looks good, maybe a bit more in the Copenhagen game, with the view to starting him v Luton if all goes well. I think him next to either/or both of Casemiro and Amrabat will help with their experience. Maybe in a different scenario ETH might think twice about putting him in so young, but his job could be on the line, so desperate situations and all that......

FerociousCorgis

i hate the line of thinking that since we arent playing well we shouldnt "throw him in". If anything this is exactly the time to do that. What if we had our midfield playing well then we put him in? Makes no sense cause if that is the case we wouldnt change the midfield. I guess if you wanted to say in a perfectly ideal world we would have all 10 other spots playing perfectly and just missing that one position he plays, but that just isnt realistic ha. Midfield has been absolute dogshit this season might as well give him a run out and see what he can do.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
i hate the line of thinking that since we arent playing well we shouldnt "throw him in". If anything this is exactly the time to do that. What if we had our midfield playing well then we put him in? Makes no sense cause if that is the case we wouldnt change the midfield. I guess if you wanted to say in a perfectly ideal world we would have all 10 other spots playing perfectly and just missing that one position he plays, but that just isnt realistic ha. Midfield has been absolute dogshit this season might as well give him a run out and see what he can do.
It’s ridiculous. If he’s supposed to wait until we’re playing well he won’t get a game until he’s 25.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Our next 4 games are Fulham, Copenhagen, Luton, and Everton. He needs to start seeing playing time in these games. Our current set up in midfield isn't working, we need to try something different. The Fulham game, I'd give him 20 mins or so, if he looks good, maybe a bit more in the Copenhagen game, with the view to starting him v Luton if all goes well. I think him next to either/or both of Casemiro and Amrabat will help with their experience. Maybe in a different scenario ETH might think twice about putting him in so young, but his job could be on the line, so desperate situations and all that......
Unfortunately I don't see him getting any mins under ETH for the remaining 4 games. As you've said, ETH job could be on the line, there's no way he would gamble his job/reputation to an unproven/inexperienced youngster ahead of the likes of other well established international player ie Casemiro, Amrabat, Mctominay, Eriksen.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Maybe because anyone playing in that team right now would underperform and look miles worse than what they are.
Last thing we need to do is throw a youngster under the bus, plus he really isn't ready yet.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Unfortunately I don't see him getting any mins under ETH for the remaining 4 games. As you've said, ETH job could be on the line, there's no way he would gamble his job/reputation to an unproven/inexperienced youngster ahead of the likes of other well established international player ie Casemiro, Amrabat, Mctominay, Eriksen.
His job is on the line because of those players. If anything, persisting with them makes less sense than trying something different.

Champ

Yes, he is.
Based on what?
He has played one and a half games since being back from his injury, in neither game he dominated, although he played well against Salford despite his error.
There's an absolutely huge step up between Salford (who rested some players also) and a Fulham or Copenhagen.
It's a massive gamble to start Mainoo in either game and one that I'm not sure EtH is willing to take.

poleglass red

we are in this mess, due in a large part to those midfielders you've mentioned. We've played them and they are continually overrun due to lack of pace and ability to track runners. ETH doesn't like to tinker, the only hope here for Mainoo is these games aren't v top opposition. I'd like ETH to take a chance and at least see what he can add to the team. The lack of mobility and physicality in our mid is frightening, and Casemiro clattering into someone and getting a card isn't being physical, I am talking about winning the ball back, putting in clean tackles and starting an attack.

Remember the geese

Based on what?
Right back at ya. Ten Hag has to be willing to take the risk because his current options are beyond hopeless. Also, Mainoo is a special talent who should be given opportunities, unlike McTominay for example, who Jose invested a lot of time in. In comparison, this is far less of a risk.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
His job is on the line because of those players. If anything, persisting with them makes less sense than trying something different.
Would agree with you, but don't think ETH would be very much of a risk taker.

Pogue Mahone

we are in this mess, due in a large part to those midfielders you've mentioned. We've played them and they are continually overrun due to lack of pace and ability to track runners. ETH doesn't like to tinker, the only hope here for Mainoo is these games aren't v top opposition. I'd like ETH to take a chance and at least see what he can add to the team. The lack of mobility and physicality in our mid is frightening, and Casemiro clattering into someone and getting a card isn't being physical, I am talking about winning the ball back, putting in clean tackles and starting an attack.
None of which has been a real strength of Mainoo, from what I’ve seen.

Champ

Right back at ya. Ten Hag has to be willing to take the risk because his current options are beyond hopeless. Also, Mainoo is a special talent who should be given opportunities, unlike McTominay for example, who Jose invested a lot of time in. In comparison, this is far less of a risk.
Playing an unproven 18 year old is less of a risk then playing Mctominay?

That's a bizarre take and one I can't really comprehend.

How many midfielders has EtH used so far this season? And how many have made an impact worthy of glowing praise? The issue isn't the players, it's the system we play. Mainoo isn't going to fix that, and instead we will be throwing in an 18 year old into the lions den with no backup.

I'm all for playing youngsters, United have benefitted massively from playing young academy players, however when the team is playing such a poor structure playing a youngster in such a prominent position will only amplify his shortcomings in my opinion, and that's not good.

luke511

How many midfielders has EtH used so far this season? And how many have made an impact worthy of glowing praise? The issue isn't the players, it's the system we play. Mainoo isn't going to fix that, and instead we will be throwing in an 18 year old into the lions den with no backup.

I'm all for playing youngsters, United have benefitted massively from playing young academy players, however when the team is playing such a poor structure playing a youngster in such a prominent position will only amplify his shortcomings in my opinion, and that's not good.
I'm really not surprised by that chump.

Having the right players on the pitch is 90% of it. McTominay is obviously a part of the problem as he has been every time he's been a regular starter, so by replacing him with a much better technical player, we will see better performances coming from the most important position on the pitch.

Champ

I'm really not surprised by that chump.

Having the right players on the pitch is 90% of it. McTominay is obviously a part of the problem as he has been every time he's been a regular starter, so by replacing him with a much better technical player, we will see better performances coming from the most important position on the pitch.
Not when there's still 9 other outfield players underperforming.

That's my point entirely!! Changing personnel won't work, it's been tried before, Hannibal, Amrabat, McT, Eriksen, Bruno, Mount, Casemiro hell even Lindlegod have played in midfield, yet the same things get repeated over and over,
Swapping Mainoo in for any one of the above won't change things, unless the structure of the team, the forward runs and the defending improve.

I would love to see him get at least
some minutes against Fulham though.

luke511

That's my point entirely!! Changing personnel won't work, it's been tried before, Hannibal, Amrabat, McT, Eriksen, Bruno, Mount, Casemiro hell even Lindlegod have played in midfield, yet the same things get repeated over and over,
Swapping Mainoo in for any one of the above won't change things, unless the structure of the team, the forward runs and the defending improve.

I would love to see him get at least
some minutes against Fulham though.
Casemiro completely transformed our side last season, to the point where we collapsed whenever he wasn't playing. It illustrated how much of a difference having a top quality player in deep midfield can make to the entire side. Mainoo is an incredible talent and his inclusion could be enough to swing spirits, by trying to same combination week after week you're compounding the damage every time you try it. McTominay doesn't work in our midfield and never will, he hasn't got the technical ability and intelligence needed. Changing personnel is the only thing that will work.

Champ

Casemiro completely transformed our side last season, to the point where we collapsed whenever he wasn't playing. It illustrated how much of a difference having a top quality player in deep midfield can make to the entire side. Mainoo is an incredible talent and his inclusion could be enough to swing spirits, by trying to same combination week after week you're compounding the damage every time you try it. McTominay doesn't work in our midfield and never will, he hasn't got the technical ability and intelligence needed. Changing personnel is the only thing that will work.
That's part of the issue, we haven't been able to field a set midfield for quite a while due to injuries!
Changing personnel hasn't worked so far, there's no guarantees it will work with an unproven 18 year old with minimal first team experience, especially when personnel isn't the fundamental issue.

I could be wrong, and Mainoo could turn out to be a game changer for our season, hopefully I am, but history and logic tells us that this probably won't be the case.
As I say, including Mainoo from the start of any game coming up would be a massive gamble.

poleglass red

It's not his biggest asset, but he'd offer more in that regard than what we currently have. I probably should have added keeping possession, as none of what we have currently do it well, something that is a big asset of his game. I'm sure now with Casemiro out, we will get a glimpse of him in the coming weeks

FriedClams

I actually feel sorry for this kid, given the expectation some fans are putting on him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Isn't what he brings the ability to start attacks from deep, receive the ball in deep areas and start moves, keep the play ticking, move with the ball past the first line of pressure or pass it last the pressure, etc, while providing a good/normal defensive contribution and work level (and physicality) next to a proper holding mid? He looks very much like the more free midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 as part of the pivot. More like the type of player that Mourinho tried to turn Pogba into rather than what Pogba was.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I actually feel sorry for this kid, given the expectation some fans are putting on him.
Why?

You don’t think he’s capable of playing like a combination of Xavi, Bellingham and Zidane?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

I would say that bringing Mainoo in would, in theory at least, improve the structure of the team a bit, as long as he's being played next to Casemiro or Amrabat rather than being thrown into that deeper position by himself. He seems to have a more all-round game than Scott, Eriksen or Mount have, all of whom have glaring weaknesses in their game for playing that position.

Of course, the big issue is that ETH basically isn't using that position this season. He seems to be deliberately setting us up with only one real midfielder. If he's going to continue that then it makes it much more difficult, as playing Mainoo in the deeper role by himself would certainly be setting him up for failure and playing him in one of the more attacking roles reduces the advantages his natural game has over the others. In saying that, when Eriksen is playing he tends to sit deeper than any of our others have been, so it indicates ETH might not be 100% set on playing two very attacking midfielders.

If we're going back to a 4231 or a better balanced 433, that's where I would want to see Mainoo given opportunities ahead of some of our other options. I wouldn't throw him straight in to a starting spot, but I would be giving him opportunities and then looking to fast-track him into the team if he takes them.

Pogue Mahone

Isn't what he brings the ability to start attacks from deep, receive the ball in deep areas and start moves, keep the play ticking, move with the ball past the first line of pressure or pass it last the pressure, etc, while providing a good/normal defensive contribution and work level (and physicality) next to a proper holding mid? He looks very much like the more free midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 as part of the pivot. More like the type of player that Mourinho tried to turn Pogba into rather than what Pogba was.
Pretty much, yeah. I haven’t watched all his academy games but I watched a few and what really stands out is his ability to carry the ball, beat a man and pick a pass. He kind of does look a bit like the De Jong prototype that ETH has been craving.

However, I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’ll make our midfield any less easy to play through.

Marwood

Well break it down.

For starters, fo you think his passing will be worse than McTominays? Remember McTominay recently played three quarters of a game completing only 6 passes.

Champ

I would say that bringing Mainoo in would, in theory at least, improve the structure of the team a bit, as long as he's being played next to Casemiro or Amrabat rather than being thrown into that deeper position by himself. He seems to have a more all-round game than Scott, Eriksen or Mount have, all of whom have glaring weaknesses in their game for playing that position.

Of course, the big issue is that ETH basically isn't using that position this season. He seems to be deliberately setting us up with only one real midfielder. If he's going to continue that then it makes it much more difficult, as playing Mainoo in the deeper role by himself would certainly be setting him up for failure and playing him in one of the more attacking roles reduces the advantages his natural game has over the others. In saying that, when Eriksen is playing he tends to sit deeper than any of our others have been, so it indicates ETH might not be 100% set on playing two very attacking midfielders.

If we're going back to a 4231 or a better balanced 433, that's where I would want to see Mainoo given opportunities ahead of some of our other options. I wouldn't throw him straight in to a starting spot, but I would be giving him opportunities and then looking to fast-track him into the team if he takes them.
Certainly agree with you on the last paragraph, for sure he needs minutes, just not from the start as that'd be like throwing the young guy to the wolves.

Hopefully he will get the minutes soon as having a talent in midfield would save a large amount of money in the next transfer window.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pretty much, yeah. I haven’t watched all his academy games but I watched a few and what really stands out is his ability to carry the ball, beat a man and pick a pass. He kind of does look a bit like the De Jong prototype that ETH has been craving.

However, I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’ll make our midfield any less easy to play through.
The midfield being easy to play through I think is just more structural. Of course you need a DM next to him, but Mainoo should do his fair share too? At least give someone to show for the ball like Eriksen and be more physical/energetic than Eriksen. It's a normal pairing having Mainoo (the future hypothetical one that progresses...) next to a DM. You need the system to tell them how to be solid, we of course need the front 4 to do their thing defensively, we need everyone to work as a team.. but on paper I don't think that looks like a problem defensively. Mainoo looks far more natural in a deep area than Pogba was in terms of both on the ball (not being obsessed with a killer ball) and off the ball.

Champ

Well break it down.

For starters, fo you think his passing will be worse than McTominays? Remember McTominay recently played three quarters of a game completing only 6 passes.
The same Mctominay that is one of our top goal scorers this season, outscoring every attacker we have in our squad?

In answer to your question, no his passing couldn't be a lot worse, Mainoo is very good on the ball, but then Mainoo has scored what 2 or 3 goals on his past twenty odd games in the youth set up, so what you gain with one hand you take with the other, and again one player won't make up for the lack of forward runs our attackers make.

Again, it's going around in circles, playing an unproven talent from the start would be a big gamble, that's not a controversial statement nor should it be. And changing one player probably won't make a huge difference on the grand scheme of things when there's so much going wrong anyhow.

Andersonson

How many official games has he played? And has he been good in any of them? I see posters claiming he's a superior talent... Based on what? Friendlies?