Keir Starmer Labour Leader

The climate pledge was literally the only thing keeping my vote Labour. If they scale that back in their eventual manifesto i'll be voting elsewhere.

The daily mail giving him both barrels today on their front page, so was all that pandering to the knuckle draggers worth it???

Er….wtf are they going to be running on ?

Labour has ruled out offering universal free childcare for children over nine months old but is considering a means-tested offer, sources have told the Guardian, as the party strives to prove its fiscal credibility.

Looks like you have a right wing party full of cnuts and a right wing party with a smaller amount of cnuts.

What do we want?
Vanishingly little!
When do we want it?
When the fiscal situation sufficiently improves!

Definitely a good idea for a Labour leader to validate a fake right wing moral panic conspiracy that’s been debunked several times, and was already a hysterical GOP talking point in the US, because that one weird teacher keeps making it up..

Last edited:
That picture and that headline - are the Telegraph in on Starmer now?

He's a basically a more authoritan version of David Cameron. So they're probably fine with him running things for a bit whilst the Tories rebuild.

He's a basically a more authoritan version of David Cameron. So they're probably fine with him running things for a bit whilst the Tories rebuild.
Cameron's a fecking LGBT ally compared to Starmer but I know what you're saying.
Are furries, otherkins and therians not actually a thing outside of the internet?
Do you count conventions as outside of the internet?

Cameron's a fecking LGBT ally compared to Starmer but I know what you're saying.

If gay marriage wasn't legal then I doubt Starmer would be campaigning for it right now. He's so terrified of offering anything that the tories wouldn't offer eventually in case he's called a Marxist or whatever by right wing trolls and the gutter press.

They've fallen into a trap though. They are going to get into power by default unless they massively feck it up. The tories will hand over a ruin and Labour's lack of opposition during these past 3 years have shifted the overton window so far to the right that anything slightly progressive will be shot down instantly. They have set themselves up for failure. This is why the likes of the Telegraph don't care. Worst case for them is they have to put up with a 2010-16esc government for a few years whilst the right wing ideologues take a few years to regroup.

If Labour in power don't do something radical to fix the mess then we're going to continue to decline or at best stagnate. Then the GE after next it will be all Labours fault for not fixing the mess and we get another decade or so of the Tories. Tories that will have been attacking a centre-right Labour government from the hard/far right. Sure that will end well for the country.

Only way out of this is for a hung parliament with a Labour-Lib Dem coalition and the Libs forcing PR in some form. Either that or its revolution.

FzjOxeCXwAATVru

:lol:

I'm absolutely certain I've seen that argument put forward on the Caf by several people, maybe a few years ago.
I'm moderately amenable to it. The general public certainly isn't though, so it ain't exactly the 'meeting people where they are at' that this dire version of the Labour party supposedly prioritises.

Starmer needs to start listening to the caf posters or he'll only be managing these 23 point leads

Starmer needs to start listening to the caf posters or he'll only be managing these 23 point leads

It would be great if he could get into power and finish the 2019 Tory manifesto.

It would be great if he could get into power and finish the 2019 Tory manifesto.

What would be even better is to be like corbyn and spend 4 years in opposition with no power to help anyone

Not helping people isn't an improvement on not being able to help people.

Yes, but you're making the assumption that he won't help people. Given how historically shit the 2019 tory lot have been anything would be an improvement on handing them an 80 seat majority, but I'm optimistic starmer will do more than just improve on the worst government we've ever seen

Yes, but you're making the assumption that he won't help people. Given how historically shit the 2019 tory lot have been anything would be an improvement on handing them an 80 seat majority, but I'm optimistic starmer will do more than just improve on the worst government we've ever seen
It is his core message.

It is his core message.

Only if you're a corbynite loon who let's perfection be the enemy of improvement. We live in a country that is somewhat centre right socially, so either you can compromise and recognise that, or you can ignore it and never get into power

Only if you're a corbynite loon who let's perfection be the enemy of improvement. We live in a country that is somewhat centre right socially , so either you can compromise and recognise that, or you can ignore it and never get into power

We’re more to the right than that.

I don't think much further right, there isn't the same religious bible thumping Conservative as exists in America, its largely racially tolerant and and parties like BNP, reform, ukip are largely regarded as fringe nutters.

But we do have people who want tough on crime and less immigration (which is a complex issue as the social and economic wings would tend to differ on immigration).

But regardless we are not a left wing country socially and we're probably only slightly left of centre economically in that we want well funded public services and higher taxes on the rich etc but more importantly we have a right wing press, and a voting system that favours the right wing because there isn't the same division as there is on the left.

All of this means that any labour leader has to be incredibly careful, openly supporting strikes means the media paints them as "starter's strikes" and when someone dies because of NHS strikes he'll get blamed. He's done a very good job of avoiding giving the right wing press attack lines to work with, basically he's facing an open goal in thr 90th minute. He could try something fancy or he could stick with whats working, and walk it into an empty net

Even if that is the case, and I struggle to see how you can be sure of it, what options does Starmer have? Surely the first step is actually getting in to power in the first place. If the best way he can do that is to appeal to centrist Dads then he’s got to do it.