Keir Starmer Labour Leader

I've never understood why politicians are promising to abolish tuition fees, do people really expect a University education for free? A better bet would be to look at reducing them or improving the terms of loans.
University education should be free, yes.

There's a Starmer telling another lie
He'd like to be Prime Minister
But we think he'd blow our minds
There's a Starmer telling another lie
You know he's going to blow it
'Cause we know he's not worthwhile
He told them
Let the children make Brexit work
Let the children become an export clerk
Let all the children ..pay for their own education.

I've never understood why politicians are promising to abolish tuition fees, do people really expect a University education for free? A better bet would be to look at reducing them or improving the terms of loans.
Depends whether you want a race to the bottom or a race to the top.

It's not about looking backwards, it's about having a sound financial plan. There are severe economic problems at the moment, we can't even get stuff like universal healthcare right at the moment, waiting lists, treatment times etc. Removing tuition fees would be a vote winner with young people but clearly its not possible financially at the moment for one reason or another.
The choice made by this government over the last 13 years to not invest in universal free healthcare is purely ideological not financial.

You could give the Tories unlimited coffers and they would find a way to outsource it privately to their friends and donors, it's what they do. They chose to have one of the lowest corporation tax rates for businesses in Europe rather than tax normally and fund the NHS. They choose to allow corporations to avoid paying billions in tax rather than find social care, for example.

We are currently in a Healthcare crisis due to lack of investment in the NHS. During the last Healthcare crisis (covid) the government managed to find £34bn for a failed track and trace system and billions more for companies owned by friends and donors of the Tories to provide PPE that never materialised. If they wanted to invest, they could.

Social Care has already been cut to the bone to the order of billions of pounds of cuts, this also puts much more pressure on the NHS. Social Care may sound abstract to you, but having seen the total lack of support for the vulnerable and elderly in the community, I can assure you, it will catch up with us all.

By the time many realise investment in the NHS and social care is essential for a functioning society it will be too late.

Not only that the message is nonsense. Labour can't do that so it's a very odd statement.

Labour need to be very careful as they're building a case against themselves that they can't be trusted and their word is meaningless.

Labour doing a great job of showing the public how different they are from the Tories

Labour tweets are claiming that a vote for Labour today will reduce crime, reduce NHS waiting times, etc, and they have a warning at the bottom saying that this isn't true because councils can't fix these things :lol:

Wonder how the local elections will go for Labour today.

I live in a Tory area and I guess it must be a tactic from Labour but they've put next to no effort in their local campaign for my area. One leaflet in the door with barely any information and all three candidates have zero presence online. Pretty much Independent vs Conservative it seems today.

Labour doing a great job of showing the public how different they are from the Tories

The problem is that the Tories have whipped up the public into thinking that this is illegal. Even Sunak refers to asylum seekers as illegal immigrants. The policy that he was talking about here is very different to the Tory approach of exiling people to Rwanda. If this border force is coupled with the reponing of safe routes and sorting out the Asylum backlog then the small boats problem will largely disappear, but those policies will take some time to become acceptable to the public unless they are discussed when Labour are actually in power.

The problem is that the Tories have whipped up the public into thinking that this is illegal. Even Sunak refers to asylum seekers as illegal immigrants. The policy that he was talking about here is very different to the Tory approach of exiling people to Rwanda. If this border force is coupled with the reponing of safe routes and sorting out the Asylum backlog then the small boats problem will largely disappear, but those policies will take some time to become acceptable to the public unless they are discussed when Labour are actually in power.

It's a shame we don't have anyone to counter this narrative. Some kind of official opposition.

It's a shame we don't have anyone to counter this narrative. Some kind of official opposition.
Yeah, sadly counter narrative normally gets you shot down by the MSM. Ask Corbyn

Yeah, sadly counter narrative normally gets you shot down by the MSM. Ask Corbyn

That is true, but by not doing so it moves the overton window to a position where it makes it virtually impossible to counter in the future.

Are you honestly surprised though? Every time they make these announcements I get depressed, but rarely shocked. These are the heirs to Blair and his egregious anti-terror legislation.
Even Blair had a vision before he was elected. And I'm no Blair apologist.

Starmer is completely devoid of substance, ideas, policies and integrity.

Edit: to answer your question, I'm not surprised. Starmer showed his true colours a long time ago. Although I expected him to have some policies which opposed the Tories by now, rather than his pointless "I agree, but I'd do it better" schmooze.

That's pathetic reasoning. If he can't repeal Tory legislation, why is he even running?

They aren't looking to undo or oppose Tory legislation currently. Their pitch is that they will just enact it better than they will.

Even Blair had a vision before he was elected. And I'm no Blair apologist.

Starmer is completely devoid of substance, ideas, policies and integrity.

Edit: to answer your question, I'm not surprised. Starmer showed his true colours a long time ago. Although I expected him to have some policies which opposed the Tories by now, rather than his pointless "I agree, but I'd do it better" schmooze.

Starmer is a caricature of a politian. He's everything the general public complain about politians being.

No fan of Blair and New Labour but they look like titans of statecraft in comparison. Starmer has about as much charisma and gravitas as that lettuce that lasted longer than Liz Truss.

Real rock and a hard place this election will be. Voting for the tories indicates you're happy with their disgusting policies. Voting for Labour seems to indicate the same, but in red. Voting for someone else helps the Tories, and they continue with their sleaze and disgusting policies. The opportunity to see any change seems further away than in any election I can recall.

The country doesn't want a repeal of Tory policies. The country usually vote Tory. This delusion the country votes Labour once every 30 years to undo the wrongs it spent multiple elections voting for explains why the left aren't the successful that often.

The country don't see left wing politics as the "good guys" but the discourse of the left is as if that's how they assume everyone sees them, completely undeterred by any kind of electoral evidence in donkeys years. It's a delusion that's taken root.

And "rolling back" Tory legislation has never been the basis for any Labour leader getting into No 10. The left need to stop pretending that successive electoral defeats represent a ringing moral endorsement of their political outlook.

The country doesn't want a repeal of Tory policies. The country usually vote Tory. This delusion the country votes Labour once every 30 years to undo the wrongs it spent multiple elections voting for explains why the left aren't the successful that often.

The country don't see left wing politics as the "good guys" but the discourse of the left is as if that's how they assume everyone sees them, completely undeterred by any kind of electoral evidence in donkeys years. It's a delusion that's taken root.

And "rolling back" Tory legislation has never been the basis for any Labour leader getting into No 10. The left need to stop pretending that successive electoral defeats represent a ringing moral endorsement of their political outlook.
This, this and this.
Leftist, who claim that Starmer could be a secret tory, live in an alternate reality. It is an improbable assumption that people really yearn for "true" Labor policies but somehow more often than not vote the Tories in power.

Last time a majority voted for a Tory government was in 1931. The election system is broken and doesn't reflect the opinion or will of the people.

Last time a majority voted for a Tory government was in 1931. The election system is broken and doesn't reflect the opinion or will of the people.

Yep, this is exactly it. The Tories consistently getting unmitigated power with less than 50% of the vote share shows what an awful system we have. It’s not that most people are Tories.

So you must be pretty over the moon watching Britain slide into fascism then?

They aren't looking to undo or oppose Tory legislation currently. Their pitch is that they will just enact it better than they will.

I'm starting to wonder if British people are just really conservative and will only vote Tory, forcing Labour to be Tory lite.

The system is gerrymandered to promote a conservative government. And Starmer is of the opinion that the only route to power is to be a slightly watered down version of the tories.

The system is gerrymandered to promote a conservative government. And Starmer is of the opinion that the only route to power is to be a slightly watered down version of the tories.
We hope. His messaging regularly tries to position him as further right than they are in various areas of policy.

I was amazed to see he wrote a column for the Telegraph applauding Charles. Imagine Biden showing up on Fox News talking about the need for tough policing.