Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most matches they seem to be on a completely different wavelength to each other, especially that Hull game contrary to people who got ecstatic on here. Meh, a season and a half later is it going to click? Or are going to keep seeing this 'potential.'

I would take Benzema in an instant if he was available and for the right price Fergie was willing to also in the Summer.

Benzema is a striker who constantly plays on the shoulder of the defence, he's offside quite a bit because of it. It would be perfect for Wayne to work off.

Given Berbatov's now playing much further forward, and thus closer to Rooney as he likes, and the fact that in general they've both played well when on the pitch, I think it's fair to be patient and see there is potential.

I think it has more to do with wanting to see a more aesthetically pleasing Rooney(footballing-wise, there's not a hope of him being aesthetically pleasing any other way!), and people are prioritising that ahead of getting the best out of the team.

Getting the best out of Rooney doesn't necessarily get the best out of the team, and there's the argument that playing him in behind a striker won't even make him any more effective than he has been this season.

I'd just rather not see us cut our losses with such a talented player after two seasons. That's just me, I'm not one for radical change when we're not doing too bad. Other people like to take more initiative and change things before it gets to being 'too bad'. That's fair enough, just my opinion on it all.

Absolutely. It'd have to be in a 4-3-1-2, or something similar, though. It'd basically be how Real Madrid play with Berbatov in for Kaka and Rooney in for Higuain. Two very talented strikers who get across the pitch well and open up space and a very talented playmaker in behind.

Obviously never going to happen because we play with width, but I do think it'd work if you had Anderson on the left and Fletcher/Hargreaves on the right, both playing on the wings before and having the energy to cover the ground like Marcelo and Diarra.

We'd still have width provided by Evra on the left and Valencia/Rafael on the right. Obviously the two central midfielders would have less license to attack having to cover for spaces left by the full backs. Fletcher and Carrick are ideally suited for these roles, as are Valencia and Rafael who complement each other well both in their attacking and defensive duties.

We'd still have width provided by Evra on the left and Valencia/Rafael on the right. Obviously the two central midfielders would have less license to attack having to cover for spaces left by the full backs. Fletcher and Carrick are ideally suited for these roles, as are Valencia and Rafael who complement each other well both in their attacking and defensive duties.

It's a very valid idea, just one that's very unlike Manchester United or, more specifically, Sir Alex.

Don't think he'd ever go for a team without two wide players. The closest he's ever come to is playing wing-backs, but they're still not full backs.

It's a very valid idea, just one that's very unlike Manchester United or, more specifically, Sir Alex.

Don't think he'd ever go for a team without two wide players. The closest he's ever come to is playing wing-backs, but they're still not full backs.

To be fair, I'm also a traditionalist.

At the moment we are not flush with quality left sided wingers and with football tactics evolving a player of Benzema's calibre can give us many options. His signing could also prove invaluable in case Rooney has an injury.

Although you are missing one vital fact - Benzema didn't want to play for United and had reiterated his desire to play in Spain.
Yeah, but it's better that he followed through with his move to his dream club and realised it wasn't so great after all, before a potential move to us, than having him dreaming about them after a couple of good years here.. Isn't it?

To be fair, I'm also a traditionalist.

At the moment we are not flush with quality left sided wingers and with football tactics evolving a player of Benzema's calibre can give us many options. His signing could also prove invaluable in case Rooney has an injury.

Nail on the head Sultan

Yeah, but it's better that he followed through with his move to his dream club and realised it wasn't so great after all, before a potential move to us, than having him dreaming about them after a couple of good years here.. Isn't it?

Nah, I see him as the type of player that will bolt from club-to-club, always seeing Real or Barca or Milan as a "dream" club. We could only hope Real give up on him and he comes to United and becomes a Cantona-esque figure and grows to love the club and stays for a decade or so.

Typical sensationalist bollocks, with no quotes from even the "sources" they usually claim to have. Madrid would be crazy to let go of such a prospect; even such a clown of a club would give such a talented player a year (minimum). If he was available, however, I would like to see him play with us. His pace and strength would suit the Premier League and he could form a fantastic partnership with Rooney.

But let's get real (no pun intended). He's not coming.

This guy was one of the hottest prospects this summer, not to mention our number one reported target. If he had interest in signing with us, he would have been brought to Old Trafford at the drop of a hat.

I think he's fantastic, and I'll be the first to admit I was fanboy #1 during the summer, but were banging in goals now, and Ferguson has continued to back Berbatov in spite of his critics. I really don't think we'll be spending in January, and if we were, Real wouldn't be selling.

This guy was one of the hottest prospects this summer, not to mention our number one reported target. If he had interest in signing with us, he would have been brought to Old Trafford at the drop of a hat.

I think he's fantastic, and I'll be the first to admit I was fanboy #1 during the summer, but were banging in goals now, and Ferguson has continued to back Berbatov in spite of his critics. I really don't think we'll be spending in January, and if we were, Real wouldn't be selling.

Well he probably was interested in joining us before Real became interested.. One must remember Real came in to the mix very very late.. They were interested in Villa and then Forlan before they decided to turn to Benzema.. As soon as Real showed interest I am quite sure that is what changed his mind.. Because it seemed very likely that he was set to join us..

Well he probably was interested in joining us before Real became interested.. One must remember Real came in to the mix very very late.. They were interested in Villa and then Forlan before they decided to turn to Benzema.. As soon as Real showed interest I am quite sure that is what changed his mind.. Because it seemed very likely that he was set to join us..

The fact that we we're looking to bring the lad in means that either Berbatov or Rooney were on borrowed time in terms of first choice forward and I'd safely safely say that it probably wasn't Rooney. So the boss know we are weak upfront and if yesterdays effort was anything to go by, and it is, then we are still in the same situation. All Fergie has done with the signing of Owen is given himself a headache with keeping Owen happy although I think it's safe to say another top quality striker to play alongside Rooney and we'd have our quota of 4 top forward at the club. A Berbatov/Owen partnership and a Rooney/? parttnership.

We need that pace and power, I'm even more convinced after yesterday but rather than signing anyone I would like to see Douif on Wednesday first.

The fact that we we're looking to bring the lad in means that either Berbatov or Rooney were on borrowed time in terms of first choice forward and I'd safely safely say that it probably wasn't Rooney. So the boss know we are weak upfront and if yesterdays effort was anything to go by, and it is, then we are still in the same situation. All Fergie has done with the signing of Owen is given himself a headache with keeping Owen happy although I think it's safe to say another top quality striker to play alongside Rooney and we'd have our quota of 4 top forward at the club. A Berbatov/Owen partnership and a Rooney/? parttnership.

We need that pace and power, I'm even more convinced after yesterday but rather than signing anyone I would like to see Douif on Wednesday first.

Here, here!

Benzema didn't change his mind, he only ever spoke to Real as they were the only club who had an offer accepted. Benzema was open to a move to United but his option was to go to Real or stay at Lyon.

I remember breaking the news that the deal was imminent, which it was, people thought I was on the WUM. Real fecked it up by coming in for him within the specified time and the deal was complete, other wise I'd be a complete transfer legend - this time, like the last however, we won't see Benzema at OT.

Benzema didn't change his mind, he only ever spoke to Real as they were the only club who had an offer accepted. Benzema was open to a move to United but his option was to go to Real or stay at Lyon.

Well I meant to say that we were interested for a long long time before Real went in and made a bid.. Also had we accepted a fee with Lyon Iam sure he would have been ours..

Back in the summer i posted in this thread (my first post in the mains in fact) saying Benzema would not be the right type of player for us.

Having said that, at this moment in time i think he would do a job. He could be a left-side wing forward (essentially the role Ronaldo played but on the other side) with Valencia on the right and Rooney in the middle.
If we are to sign someone for the first team this January, it should be a top quality left winger - Benzema can do a job in that role and provide us with more of a cutting edge up front as well.

Back in the summer i posted in this thread (my first post in the mains in fact) saying Benzema would not be the right type of player for us.

Having said that, at this moment in time i think he would do a job. He could be a left-side wing forward (essentially the role Ronaldo played but on the other side) with Valencia on the right and Rooney in the middle.
If we are to sign someone for the first team this January, it should be a top quality left winger - Benzema can do a job in that role and provide us with more of a cutting edge up front as well.

I think he would be better as a partner for Rooney in attack.. I wouldn't fancy him in the role Ronaldo played for us last season.. I would not like to see our entire team sacrifice for 1 player..

What say the cafe about a possible swap deal involving Vidic for Benzema?

The rumours won't go away about Vidic leaving..at least this way we get something in return!

The rumours won't go away about Vidic leaving..at least this way we get something in return!

Vidic for Ronaldo I might think about it ;)

Id be happy with that if he really wants to leave. Hope Fergie has thought of it...

I think he would be better as a partner for Rooney in attack.. I wouldn't fancy him in the role Ronaldo played for us last season.. I would not like to see our entire team sacrifice for 1 player..
What about right now? Our team right now is sacrificed for something, because our most naturally talented player isn't playing in his "natural position"

Why would we want to swap one of our best players for Madrids sloppy seconds?

Because it is better than swapping him for cash and then not being able to buy our targets because Madrid does

I dont see Madrid going on some centre half buying splurge do you? especially not with Perez at the helm.

They want Vidic!!! If they was to offer Benzema plus cash i would recommed we take it. We would still have Evans, we would just need to invest in a replacement for Rio.

Benzema and Garay and I would consider it. Garay was very promising before his move to Madrid, and while not an outstanding CB now, he could be, and would be a decent addition to the team.

But Benzema doesn't want to come here. He has always said he wanted to play in Spain or Italy before England. He's earning his dough. Hes living the lifestyle. He's at one of his dream clubs. Give it up and move on people.

Why would we want to swap one of our best players for Madrids sloppy seconds?

Seriously? Benzema is a very talented player and still only 21/22.. I would never want to swap Vidic with anyone as I think Vidic is extremely important to us but if Vidic was to leave and go to Real I would not be able to think of anything better than this:

Benzema and Garay and I would consider it.

One must admit that Bitch oh crap.. I mean Mitch raises a great point here.. If we were to swap Vidic we would be a CB short thus this being an excellent option..

What about right now? Our team right now is sacrificed for something, because our most naturally talented player isn't playing in his "natural position"

Are you trying to make me win this discussion/argument? I completely agree with what your saying.. Rooney and a few others were sacrificed then (when Ronaldo was here Rooney was pushed out to the left etc) and Rooney is being sacrificed now (because Berbatov has showed us with a fair amount of consistency that he is utterly crap upfront for us.. I do not understand how Berbatov has been so shite for us.. Tottenham sort of played the exact same system With Berbatov and Keane and lets face it Rooney is much much much better than Keane)

That is why I crave a player that can play further forward so that he could compliment Rooney.. Torres comes to mind and we all know that we will never get him.. So without a doubt in my mind the closest option to Torres is Benzema..

Correct and he has already turned us down, no thanks

Exactly, people keep saying 'well if vidic dosnt want to be here' yet neither does Benzema!, hes at his 'dream club' hes where he wants to be, he dosnt want to play for us hes made that perfectly clear in the summer and any 'potential' swap deal would be because Madrid thinks hes not good enough for them and hes flopped, not because he wants to come to United.

I want players who want to play for Manchester United and be proud to do so, Benzema will never fall into that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.