Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute fecking nonsense this is. They might as well sign Ribery, Aguero, Costa, Sanchez as well. Where the HELL is this money coming from ? Surely there has to be an official investigation and an overall cap on how much a team can spend in the transfer market .. there are so many other ridiculous rules .. this one would atleast ensure some degree of fairness. 180M in one season is obscene. Get your finger out of your holes Blatter and Platini !

Blatters head is up reals hole, and Platini is blatters bitch, which is why Platini has shut up now despite obviously being angered after the Ronaldo transfer.

As I said before, I'd prefer Aguero.

Benzema got what he wanted, cant complain about that. It's his choice, fair enough. How it will turn out for him remains to be seen, but that is not our problem.

Benzema got what he wanted, cant complain about that. It's his choice, fair enough. How it will turn out for him remains to be seen, but that is not our problem.

Thats the bottom line. Its his choice so good luck to him.

Cant see why so many are so bitter about it.

Its not like Madrid have stole him from us or gazumped up.

Don't know if this's been posted...

...so, apologises:

July 2nd, 2009

Benzema Happy To Join United… But We Wouldn’t Cough Up

Karim Benzema has been a transfer favourite for plenty of reds and certainly has attracted attention from Sir Alex Ferguson over the years. Despite claims that he wanted to stay in France for one more year to remain settled ahead of the World Cup, it was starting to look like Ferguson might finally get his man.

My hesitance for us to sign Benzema arose from his clear favouring of Real Madrid, although with all the cash available from Cristiano Ronaldo’s sale, as well as the departure of Carlos Tevez, I was prepared to come around to the idea. Whilst not usually fond of the big name signings, as they have ‘flop’ written all over them, this summer, more than ever, it feels like we really need to bring a big name in. Benzema seemed to tick all the boxes.

Regardless, it was announced last night that Real Madrid had agreed a deal for our target, and after learning Benzema was “perfectly happy” to come to Old Trafford, I’m sat wondering why he isn’t doing.

Spanish-based journalist Graham Hunter, who broke the Benzema to Real Madrid story on Sky Sports News, has claimed that United had been in talks with the player but weren’t prepared to stump up the cash to meet the Spaniards’ offer.

“My understanding is that Real Madrid have offered £6million more than Manchester United were willing to pay for Benzema and they will be suffering because there is no doubt that in the last 48 hours they have been negotiating not only with Lyon but with the player, and the player was perfectly happy to go to Old Trafford.”

Whilst usually I would be pleased we hadn’t got involved in a transfer war with Real Madrid I’m left distinctly disappointed. We just smashed the world record transfer fee with Ronaldo so surely this summer more than ever we should be spending big?

I suppose there’s always the thought that had we matched their extra £6m, Real would have upped it £10m, and it would have continued until we were left to pay a ridiculously overinflated transfer fee, or would have lost out anyway.

So, with Ribery also crossed out, whose name can we obsessively scan for in the rags now?

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/benzema-happy-to-join-united-but-we-wouldnt-cough-up/

So we were only prepared to go to £24 million. Fair play if that is SAF's view. He obviously doesn't rate him THAT highly.

You talk about how it's not as simple as that, and then just trot out the old, very simplistic, 'we need a goalscorer'. You said that last year too, even when we had Ronaldo, and we nearly won the double. So I think there's a bit more to it than you think as well.

Owen's signing suggests that SAF felt we needed a goal scorer:p

And Benzema's comments suggest he only wanted to go to Real and all the gnashing of teeth over United not bidding enough was a waste of time

When I started to play football I had a lot of dreams. The first was to become a professional footballer. The second to play for the French team. The third was to wear the Real Madrid shirt.

"Indeed, I could have joined Manchester United, Barcelona, Internazionale or AC Milan, but Real are unique. Everyone is dreaming to play at Real.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5414617,00.html

So we were only prepared to go to £24 million. Fair play if that is SAF's view. He obviously doesn't rate him THAT highly.

Getting into a bidding war with Real would only benefit the selling club. They have far deeper pockets than we do right now.

Benzema has stated pretty much all along that he wanted to go to Spain and his preferred destination was Real. Dont really think it mattered how much we were prepared to offer.

Benzema has stated pretty much all along that he wanted to go to Spain and his preferred destination was Real. Dont really think it mattered how much we were prepared to offer.

It's the same as the Ronaldinho situation, but as with that you'll have fools claiming for years that the player really would have turned down Spain if we had just stumped up more cash.

"When I started to play football I had a lot of dreams. The first was to become a professional footballer. The second to play for the French team. The third was to wear the Real Madrid shirt.

"Indeed, I could have joined Manchester United, Barcelona, Internazionale or AC Milan, but Real are unique. Everyone is dreaming to play at Real."

Close thread!

Owen's signing suggests he seen the opportunity to get someone on the cheap for the short-term benefits, rather than wanting to have a finisher here for the long-term benefits.

Owen's signing suggests he seen the opportunity to get someone on the cheap for the short-term benefits, rather than wanting to have a finisher here for the long-term benefits.

a bit of both really. Owen provides the goalscoring, killer instincts that i have been saying we lack, but it must surely be a factor that he was available free and can be happily regarded as a short term player - he wont mind that as long as he has an opportunity to prove himself at the top level again and reclaim a world cup place, and he has a great opportunity for that with us now.

i would still have rather had huntelaar, but Owen does seem like a very good fit - though of course, fit is really the keyword when talking about owen.

bollocks i'd have loved to have seen him here...he seems bigger than i remember

we have Welbeck and Macheda. There are only so many young strikers you can have in a squad, and in case anyone didnt notice, this is real football, not FM, you dont just go round every country in the world bagging up all the promising youth players.

We are better off with someone more proven, with more experience, and whose presence will not block the progress of Welbeck and Macheda. Simples.

15,000 for his unveiling at the Bernabeu tonight and no shirt number on his back. Galactico school is tough.

Why does every single one of their goddamn new signings have to kiss their badge?

"I'm so grateful and deeply in love with this club because they just triple my wages" ?

15,000 for his unveiling at the Bernabeu tonight and no shirt number on his back. Galactico school is tough.

Hope he felt like shit,one year I fancy and they will be trying to flog him off .It wont be the two goldens boys fault they win nothing it will be his

:lol:

Is this underwhelming or what?

Can't see anything on Sky sports, no images out yet....still though i reckon he'll be ace for them.

I'm quietly hoping he isn't so they'll flog him in a years time for cheap to us but i don't hold much hope

I would say that it more fills a short term gap where he can see how Welbeck and Macheda develop and whether they are good enough without undue pressure.

I would say that it more fills a short term gap where he can see how Welbeck and Macheda develop and whether they are good enough without undue pressure.

/nod

If anything, the move for Owen simply cements SAF's belief that at least one of Macheda/Welbeck will make it. And its hard to argue with that, to be fair.

I was implying that with saying we got him for short-term benefits. I was just tying that in with the point I don't think he wanted a regular over the next few years to be just a pure finisher for us.

But yeah, I think that Macheda and Welbeck are firmly in his mind with this signing, and I'll be very happy if that's the case.

How do the real fans feel about him? It's still a big turnout but after Kaka and Ronaldos unveiling this is a bit of a slap in the face to him...

Status
Not open for further replies.