Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graham Hunter could have cobbled together all that shite from this very thread. You can bet your arse that the bit about Benzema being happy to sign for United is based on those made-up comments from his Bosnian team-mate.
I don't buy that at all personally. I find it strange people would think a player wouldn't mind going to REAL or coming to United at the same time. Especially when he is a fan of neither club and either stage is the pefect step up from Lyon for his carreer.

:lol: Ronaldinho wanted to come. That is an open secret. Unfortunately we just refused to pay as much as Barcelona to get him. It's gonna be the same case with this dude if we miss out on him. It will be a case of us not putting up enough money than rather than he not wanting to come here.

How could you possibly believe you know that? How could you know that he'd choose us over Madrid if we upped our bid to match theirs?

Something tells me that yesterday's breaking news was all down to Lyon - which prompted Real to up their bid.

Crafty buggers.

i think that the newspapers in spain publish the news to shaken up Madrid to come in and make an offer if the offer that Lyon is talking about is ours.

Anybody have a quote where he says where he wants to go?

Berbatov spent a lot of time near the halfway line last season and you're making a big assumption if you think he'll score more. The season we won the double Ronaldo scored 40+, now if we want to win the double again, we will need those 40 goals and if you think Rooney, Berbatov and Nani will score their normal tallies and some more to accommodate that, then you're far too optimistic.

Nani's form was awful last season, so its a naive assumption on your part to think he'll chip in with enough next season. Yes its possible but we're much better off playing it safe and bringing in a goal scorer.

Ronaldo scored 22 goals in the league and Champions League last season, and we were just one win away from winning the double.

Clearly we won't need to replace all of Ronaldo's 42 goals from that season, we'll need to replace his 22 from last season, which is very achievable.

what? lol, yeah, I'm sorry, you're thinking for yourself, and I'm not

I am because i recognise it maybe true but there is no clarity therefore I have to also assume it maybe bullshit, more so considering the bollocks we've read in the last two days alone.

So what proof have you got that it is madrid - because if you have none, how can you turn around to anyone and say they're disillusional?...

But there says feck all about them having accepted it. Yet.

Of course they won't accept it until they hear from United. If we don't up ours, it's over. I don't believe that we had one accepted already, that doesn't make any sense. Lyon wouldn't accept first large offer that came along.

What I think happened is we put in a bid, Lyon cam out with a statement yesterday about wanting to sell, Real put in an ever bigger bid, and we are where we are.

Well, finally some evidence - feck these reports, this is first hand. First - let me apologise for image quality. I've used a very special technique to enlarge the image for your pleasure, I present:

BenzemaatOT.jpg

Conclusive? I think so.

Ronaldo scored 22 goals in the league and Champions League last season, and we were just one win away from winning the double.

Clearly we won't need to replace all of Ronaldo's 42 goals from that season, we'll need to replace his 22 from last season, which is very achievable.

But to win the double we'll need to. You really think Nani, Berbatov and Rooney can score enough? The type of goals Ronaldo scored, I just don't think Nani or Berbatov can replace.

Off topic. Kaka said 'Everyone in Brazil talks about Real, Milan and Manchester'. We're a huge draw and there's no reason why we can get any player we want. Regardless of what spastics in the United forum will tell you.

true, but look at exactly which goals they were, Ronaldo was often the contributor to a last minute goal or in a scrappy 1-0 win. He was our main match winner in tight situations, the player who could often be relied on for a moment of magic to save us the 3 (or 1) points. that is what we need to replace more than anything imo.

How could you possibly believe you know that? How could you know that he'd choose us over Madrid if we upped our bid to match theirs?
Because the same thing happened with Ronaldinho and other players in the past. He will go to which ever club Lyon agrees to sell him to. Because he is happy to go to either destination. Just like in Ronadinho's case. So its a flat out biddng war. Who ever offers more to Lyon Or both clubs have similar bids accepted, who ever ofers him the best personal terms will get him. Just remember Aaron Ramsey.

Off topic. Kaka said 'Everyone in Brazil talks about Real, Milan and Manchester'. We're a huge draw and there's no reason why we can get any player we want. Regardless of what spastics in the United forum will tell you.

Yeah I remember seeing that and thinking the exact same thing. A lot of our fans would be over the moon if we began to operate like Real, such a sad state of affairs to be honest.

I am because i recognise it maybe true but there is no clarity therefore I have to also assume it maybe bullshit more so considering the bollocks we've read in the last two days alone.

So what proof have you got that it is madrid - because if you have none, how can you turn around to anyone and say they're disillusional?...

It's called grapevine. They leak out who it was. If you think it was us, when everybody says Madrid, then you're delusional. It's simple.

true, but look at exactly which goals they were, Ronaldo was often the contributor to a last minute goal or in a scrappy 1-0 win. He was our main match winner in tight situations, the player who could often be relied on for a moment of magic to save us the 3 (or 1) points. that is what we need to replace more than anything imo.

He hasn't done it that often last season. Some may even say that the way we played, with him clearly as our number one weapon, might have been a part of why we needed so many 1-0s, and a more balanced team would have done better.

Rooney can score and set up goals from nothing. Berbatov can score and set up goals from nothing. Nani can score and set up goals from nothing. If we can get the best from them, we'll take some stopping. If we can't, whos to say we'll get the best out of a new signing?

But to win the double we'll need to. You really think Nani, Berbatov and Rooney can score enough? The type of goals Ronaldo scored, I just don't think Nani or Berbatov can replace.

No, to win the double last season we'd only have needed to score 3 more goals against Barcelona.

Nani can quite conceivably replace Ronaldo's goals from range, whereas Berbatov and Ronaldo can both contribute more inside the box.

He only had 5 matchwinning goals last season, apparently. 2 more than Berbatov.

Last season he really wasn't that good, and we were one win away from winning the double.

I'm sure we'll be find without a goalscorer.

Because the same thing happened with Ronaldinho and other players in the past. He will go to which ever club Lyon agrees to sell him to. Because he is happy to go to either destination. Just like in Ronadinho's case. So its a flat out biddng war. Who ever offers more to Lyon Or both clubs have similar bids accepted, who ever ofers him the best personal terms will get him. Just remember Aaron Ramsey.

If I remember correctly, Ramsey chose Arsenal over us even though both of us bid the same amount..

I caught on to that aswell.... Don't know why people think we are so unattractive. Simply put if we get a bid accepted i can't see him holding out for another club or stalling the deal personally.

what's wrong in trying to match and then seeing where the chips land.

not even attempting to match barca who only bid 2-3 million quid more was pure foolishness by kenyon regarding ronaldinho

Exactly. If we want a player badly enough. We will more often than not sign the player.

not even attempting to match barca who only bid 2-3 million quid more was pure foolishness by kenyon regarding ronaldinho

I think Kenyon new what he was doing and had already been tapped up by Chelsea at that stage

He hasn't done it that often last season. Some may even say that the way we played, with him clearly as our number one weapon, might have been a part of why we needed so many 1-0s, and a more balanced team would have done better.

Rooney can score and set up goals from nothing. Berbatov can score and set up goals from nothing. Nani can score and set up goals from nothing. If we can get the best from them, we'll take some stopping. If we can't, whos to say we'll get the best out of a new signing?

i agree with this, and it is actually the reason why i think we need a striker. our current setup has revolved around us being dependant on Ronaldo for goals, almost in an RVN type way. It has the side effect that Rooney and Berbatov are pushed deep, the midfield has to cover for Ronaldos defensive vulnerability etc.
With a goalscoring striker we can operate in a more "normal" way than having a winger as often the furthest player forward.

Nani can quite conceivably replace Ronaldo's goals from range, whereas Berbatov and Ronaldo can both contribute more inside the box.

Last season he really wasn't that good, and we were one win away from winning the double.

Bolded part; im not so sure, time will tell either way.

No, to win the double last season we'd only have needed to score 3 more goals against Barcelona.

Its not as straight forward as it looks though. Ronaldo played a HUGE part in the aston villa match but the stats won't show him as getting the "winning goal". Having tight matches is ok as long as we had ronaldo who could produce that moment of magic. Without him we'd need a goal scorer posing a constant threat to win the matches in which teams simply park the bus.

I'm sure it comes down to more than just money.

If we both had our bids accepted then I'm sure he'd have some sort of personal preference, ad you'd assume it's Madrid.

Although I'm sure he'd be happy to come to us if Madrid's offer wasn't accepted and we offered higher.

Yeah I remember seeing that and thinking the exact same thing. A lot of our fans would be over the moon if we began to operate like Real, such a sad state of affairs to be honest.

Thing is he didn't even have to mention us. He could've easily said something along the same lines as Becks ie 'I've moved to a great from another great club'. Fact is, we're the most popular club in the world. The likes of AON aren't willing to pay us £20m+ a season because were not the most famous club in the land. But the truth of the matter is we've never gone silly bugger in the market like Real, City and Chelsea - but it's never been detrimental.

If I remember correctly, Ramsey chose Arsenal over us even though both of us bid the same amount..

Yeah, Ramsey chose - not his club. Both bids were accepted and while Wenger flew Ramsey out to wherever the hell he was to personally sell Arsenal to him as the club of his future, we sent Gary Neville to take him around Carrington :(

I'm not saying that Benzema wouldn't want to join us but a lot of players from abroad especially those from warmer climates prefer to go to spain, people in these countries may take notice of United because we can play some of the best football in the world but when given the choice of playing for us in rainy Manchester or another massive team in sunny Spain a lot of them will still choose the warmer climate and there isn't much we can do about it.

I'm not saying don't give it a go, I'd be happy if we did give it a go.

Was more about RICTR's claims that we'd get him no matter what if we offered enough money, showing complete disregard for the idea he might just simply choose Madrid over us.

Its not as straight forward as it looks though. Ronaldo played a HUGE part in the aston villa match but the stats won't show him as getting the "winning goal". Having tight matches is ok as long as we had ronaldo who could produce that moment of magic. Without him we'd need a goal scorer posing a constant threat to win the matches in which teams simply park the bus.

You talk about how it's not as simple as that, and then just trot out the old, very simplistic, 'we need a goalscorer'. You said that last year too, even when we had Ronaldo, and we nearly won the double. So I think there's a bit more to it than you think as well.

We haven't had any news in the last 10 minutes.

This is unacceptable.

We haven't had any news in hours - just a lot of speculation and rubbish. Some made up story yesterday from a non-entity of a Bosnian website sparked a cascade of Chinese whispers and ***ping on the Caf. Then this morning a story from Marca (Marca ffs!) did exactly the same thing, only this time sparking mass muppet suicides. Until Benzema or Lyon release an offical statement confirming his transfer to a named club this is all just garbage

I'm not saying don't give it a go, I'd be happy if we did give it a go.

Was more about RICTR's claims that we'd get him no matter what if we offered enough money, showing complete disregard for the idea he might just simply choose Madrid over us.

You talk about how it's not as simple as that, and then just trot out the old, very simplistic, 'we need a goalscorer'. You said that last year too, even when we had Ronaldo, and we nearly won the double. So I think there's a bit more to it than you think as well.

Its also not as simple as assuming that other players will chip in. Especially when two of the 3 you've mentioned haven't showed signs of chipping in a decent amount. I said we should sign a goal scorer because Ronaldo's departure was inevitable, you said that we should worry about it once he left. Well he has and now you're saying we'll be just fine and making huge assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.