Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this image of SAF, Fletcher and Cantona wearing balaclava's in a Bentley speeding its way through Paris (much like in the film Ronin - good film btw) and heading down an autobahn (or Le autobahn too make that sound more French like) towards Lyon.

You talk about how it's not as simple as that, and then just trot out the old, very simplistic, 'we need a goalscorer'. You said that last year too, even when we had Ronaldo, and we nearly won the double. So I think there's a bit more to it than you think as well.

to be honest, i was arguing last summer that we needed a goalscorer in the newbies (Huntelaar again). We got Berbatov and frankly i thought it would be a bad buy in the long term. There is nothing wrong with playing with a traditional #9 striker, last year we had Ronaldo to pull us through it, next year we wont have Ronaldo, the question it all comes down to is: Can the rest of the team contribute enough goals to make up for the loss of Ronaldo and lack of a real goalscorer in the squad? You say yes, I say probably not.

I have this image of SAF, Fletcher and Cantona wearing balaclava's in a Bentley speeding its way through Paris (much like in the film Ronin - good film btw) and heading down an autobahn (or Le autobahn too make that sound more French like) towards Lyon.

Autobahn is german?

I think Lyon refusing to confirm anything is trying to lure us into a bidding war, but Fergie will never engage in any of that. If he truly feels he wants the player, he might make one last maximum offer, but it doesn't look good as Aulas has been known for this kind of thing, like the stunt he pulled with Essien, and Fergie would rather walk away in the end.

I think Lyon refusing to confirm anything is trying to lure us into a bidding war, but Fergie will never engage in any of that. If he truly feels he wants the player, he might make one last maximum offer, but it doesn't look good as Aulas has been known for this kind of thing, like the stunt he pulled with Essien, and Fergie would rather walk away in the end.

There's no way United would get involved with a bidding war with Madrid. They can spend an unlimited amount, United can't.

true, but look at exactly which goals they were, Ronaldo was often the contributor to a last minute goal or in a scrappy 1-0 win. He was our main match winner in tight situations, the player who could often be relied on for a moment of magic to save us the 3 (or 1) points. that is what we need to replace more than anything imo.

Many of our key goals, in narrow wins or last gasp wins weren't scored by Ronaldo. E.g. Macheda at home to Villa, Berbatov away to Bolton, Rooney away to City, Berbatov at home to Boro, Berbatov away to Newcastle,Fletcher away to Pompey, Tevez away to Stoke, Vidic at home to Sunderland, Giggs away to West Ham, Rooney at home to Wigan,the goals away to Wigan, O Shea and Park in the Champions League against Arsenal, the goals at home to Arsenal, Rooney against Quito etc.

Of course he scored important goals, but i'd argue that along with the above list(plus the odd other goal from other players such as Vidic at home to Inter) Ronaldo didn't score too many critical goals. Porto away and his secong at home to Villa, the two at home to Spurs(one of which was a penalty, Rooney getting the second in that game was arguably the key goal). He scored his share of goals that weren't that critical to the outcome of games.

You are right, I just hope that SAF has learnt from his past mistakes - forking out the full £32m for Berbatov last season was a situation where his hand was pretty much forced by City, seems like the same situation now with Real coming in with all the money. If he can do it for Berbatov he can do it for Benzema.

Of course he scored important goals, but i'd argue that along with the above list(plus the odd other goal from other players such as Vidic at home to Inter) Ronaldo didn't score too many critical goals. Porto away and his secong at home to Villa, the two at home to Spurs(one of which was a penalty, Rooney getting the second in that game was arguably the key goal). He scored his share of goals that weren't that critical to the outcome of games.

well i havent got stats with me, but what about vital assists and so forth? I dont mind us selling Ronaldo at all, but anyone who thinks we can just move on and hope that the rest of the team chips in is taking a big risk imo.

Let us take Sibierski. Real wont be interested in him.

and I now have an image of Fletcher looking excited and saying:
"Raspberry jams lads! Almost turned into a bit of raspberry jam back there, yeah, a bit of raspberry jam!
Got the swag
(i.e. Benzema), kept the money. It's a job well done, a job well done. That's a fact!"

Fletch then leans out of the car and is violently sick, much to the disgust of SAF and Eric

hahaha after all that he's off to fecking Madrid...

Trust me though it's a good thing. The last thing we need is another player here who wants to be elsewhere!

Its also not as simple as assuming that other players will chip in. Especially when two of the 3 you've mentioned haven't showed signs of chipping in a decent amount. I said we should sign a goal scorer because Ronaldo's departure was inevitable, you said that we should worry about it once he left. Well he has and now you're saying we'll be just fine and making huge assumptions.

Nah, you were worried about us last season, mainly because of a lack of goals.

You didn't mention anything about Ronaldo leaving in the future, you were talking about the present and you were worried about whether this team was good enough to win the league.

Not having a goalscorer up front must've been a part of that, seeing as you bang on about if so often.

If I remember correctly, Ramsey chose Arsenal over us even though both of us bid the same amount..
Precisely my pint. He was perfectly fine with going to either club. He chose Arsenal because their terms suited him better. I'd rather lose out on a player like that than in the silly way we lost out on Ronaldinho.

I have to say, 30 million seems very low for a player like Benzema. I think he will go to Madrid and that we were never that interested, they probably leaked those quotes yesterday to rush Madrid.

La Liga expert: Real have beaten United to Benzema

Author: Ben Moss
Posted on: 01 July 2009 - 15:38
Category: Football
Comments: Be the first to comment

La Liga expert Graham Hunter and regular on Sky Sports’ ‘Revista de la Liga’, believes Real Madrid have beaten Manchester United to the signing of Lyon ace Karim Benzema, despite the French club strenuously denying any deal has been formalised.

Reports last night indicated Manchester United were in the driving seat for the 21-year-old France international, however news from Spain suggested today that Real Madrid had confirmed a deal in principle with Lyon, only for the club to deny such claims.

The esteemed journalist does however believe a deal is imminent, despite Manchester United holding talks with Lyon and the player over the last two days.

Hunter told Sky Sports News: “My understanding is that Real Madrid have offered £6million more than Manchester United were willing to pay for Benzema and they will be suffering because there is no doubt that in the last 48 hours they have been negotiating not only with Lyon but with the player, and the player was perfectly happy to go to Old Trafford.”

“Every player has a value, in the current times particularly.”

“You have to be careful about how much you're willing to spend on a guy who is still going to grow.”

“He is a France international who was French Ligue One top scorer in 2007/08, but he is still only 21."

“Benzema is a guy Real Madrid have offered a contract for six years so when you look at the way in which the deals for Kaka, Ronaldo and now Benzema have been done you can see they are planning for a long future,”

Although Hunter believes the deal is all but done, Lyon director Olivier Blanc told L'Equipe: “We certainly did receive an offer of a sum appreciably superior to the sum that has been mentioned, but nothing says that it comes from Real. There is no agreement with anyone.”

:boring:

hahaha after all that he's off to fecking Madrid...

Trust me though it's a good thing. The last thing we need is another player here who wants to be elsewhere!

He hasn't gone anywhere though. Plus if a player doesn't want to be here... guess what, he wont sign the contract!! Or if he does he can just claim he was black-mailed like Obi -one!!

It's called grapevine. They leak out who it was. If you think it was us, when everybody says Madrid, then you're delusional. It's simple.

that is not thinking for yourself - it's jumping on the bandwagon...that is simple. the fact is you don't who said what

:

Benzema.jpg
:lol:

Like us not buying Huntelaar would make them unable to buy Ribery :lol: I don't know if you've noticed, but they're not really in a position where they need to sell to be able to buy..

Deluded..

Where did I say Madrid would have to sell or indeed find trouble in purchasing a player like Ribery?

The delusion's all yours

so to clarify - feck all has happened then. It's rehashed stories, this hunter guys bullshit etc. Nothing new......lyon have NOT come out and said they've accepted a bid. Hope that helps some folks...

they're recieved a bid but have accepted nothing as there are no quotes saying 'we have accepted a fecking bid'. Simple enough fellow muppets

Exactly, if it's question of a bidding war, we just have to outbid Real - they surely won't be able to keep pace in such a war with us at the moment...

Im surprised if true, United came in with such a low offer.....I say 40 million to get Benzemas services.

I think we'll be very disappointed by the result of this...

We should have snagged that Ronaldo deal with a clause saying that they cannot go after Benzema (unless they pay us £20 million, or something).

But, who knows what is/isn't being done as we speak?

Save the sperm.

Status
Not open for further replies.