Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.

B Cantona

Desperate
Have to say, I'm questioning his desire somewhat. Why does he want to continue playing in Lyon? I mean if he loves the club, ok fair enough, but does he want to be Lyon's Le Tissier, or a genuine top player in the game? Not saying he has to come to us to do that, but surely he has to go somewhere other than the French league? Lyon have had a stinker of a season for them n all

I suppose he's still only 21. Just surprises me

rotherham_red

The more I think about it, the more the idea of Eto'o coming to us appeals. He comes in his prime, and hopefully, once he starts to dwindle in about three to four years, we'll have a Macheda to take over...

Ringo 07

The more I think about it, the more the idea of Eto'o coming to us appeals. He comes in his prime, and hopefully, once he starts to dwindle in about three to four years, we'll have a Macheda to take over...
For this reason it appeals to me a lot also as it will give Macheda time to develop as if we sign Benzema then Macheda can forget about playing a major role in the future here!!! But I get the feeling that Macheda might want to go back to Italy once he has hada big season at United!! Benzema seems like the bet options as the French tend to deal with the climate a lot more than Latin players!!

Jase

Have to say, I'm questioning his desire somewhat. Why does he want to continue playing in Lyon? I mean if he loves the club, ok fair enough, but does he want to be Lyon's Le Tissier, or a genuine top player in the game? Not saying he has to come to us to do that, but surely he has to go somewhere other than the French league? Lyon have had a stinker of a season for them n all

I suppose he's still only 21. Just surprises me
Doesn't surprise me. He wants to be France's first choice striker at the World Cup next summer, and moving to another club the season before can be risky. I obviously don't know the strength of his mentality and desire, but I've got the impression that he has great ambitions (the way he's talked about Milan, United, Real Madrid and Barca etc).

Cal?

CR7 fan
Doesn't surprise me. He wants to be France's first choice striker at the World Cup next summer, and moving to another club the season before can be risky. I obviously don't know the strength of his mentality and desire, but I've got the impression that he has great ambitions (the way he's talked about Milan, United, Real Madrid and Barca etc).
I see, how's that going to work? Continue to tick along for Lyon whilst the likes of Henry sweeps all before them for a genuinely top sides, or moving to one of the only clubs in the World who can compete with Barca and try to outdo Henry?

Imagine which one is more likely to get you the starting place for France?

Jase

I see, how's that going to work? Continue to tick along for Lyon whilst the likes of Henry sweeps all before them for a genuinely top sides, or moving to one of the only clubs in the World who can compete with Barca and try to outdo Henry?

a) There is room for both Henry and Benzema in France's XI.

b) Join another club NOW and he might lose his spot if he struggles to adapt to a new country and league. Benzema's talent is obscene, but there's no guarantee he would blend in at a new club right away.

That's how.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Well, let's see.

If he stays at Lyon, and ends up having a great season, he'll have a great chance of playing in the World Cup. Seems likely that would happen, and he'd start pretty much every game.

If he moved to us, for example, he might take a while to settle in, and he most likely wouldn't start as many games as he would at Lyon.

Right now he knows he can easily have another great season at Lyon, whether he can have a great season at another club he can't be so sure about.

Having a great season at Lyon > a decent season at us.

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
In an interview with THE LEAGUE champions league magazine Benzema was asked "what about the english premier league? Manchester United are said to have kept an eye on you for a long time now" his response was " I love English football too and when I watch it, its just for the red devils. Definitely they are my favourite team. The funny thing is I play in France, but I dont really watch the Ligue 1 games. Im mainly interested in watching Spanish, English and Italian football. "
O M G G G G G G G G G G G G

TuTuHimm

Can definitely write definitely correctly
We've needed a french with a weirdly shaped head since Silvestre left us.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
a) There is room for both Henry and Benzema in France's XI.

b) Join another club NOW and he might lose his spot if he struggles to adapt to a new country and league. Benzema's talent is obscene, but there's no guarantee he would blend in at a new club right away.

That's how.
Excelling in a French club will never be anywhere near excelling in a top 3 league. Anelka is miles ahead of him right now, and Henry is on course to finding his best form again. Judging from his Euro performances, I would be very very surprised if he was France's first choice striker come next summer.

RedGib

do not forget this is Lyon were are talking about, they are legendary at getting above the odds for players, this sounds like them saying we don't need to sell and the player is happy to stay so it is going to take a shit load of cash for us to sell him! Especially with us having 80m going spare.

I say keep the flies undone as this could still have cock out time over the next few weeks

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
Excelling in a French club will never be anywhere near excelling in a top 3 league. Anelka is miles ahead of him right now, and Henry is on course to finding his best form again. Judging from his Euro performances, I would be very very surprised if he was France's first choice striker come next summer.
But excelling in a French club is far better than sitting on the bench for a club in one of the three big leagues, now isn't it?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game

Wrong. Ligue 1 is a very demanding championship physically and technically, anyone making it to the top there is a near certainty of succeeding abroad. The formation in France is top class, thrice better than the English that furnishes very few quality players whilst the likes of Drogba, Essien, Henry, Evra, Abidal, Clichy, Diaby, Lassana Diarra, Alexandre Song, Gallas all proved indispensable to the first club they went to straight after showing their skills in Ligue 1.

The only exceptions to this are those who cannot accustome to another environment, but that is a matter that any foreigner experience at one point.

But being smug toward Ligue 1 is pointless. The finances might not be there, but the talent is and always will be. The gap between France and the top 3 leagues is not due to a lack of quality but a lack of quantity, French clubs being forbidden to have 61 players on contract as we can witness in the PL thus being severely handicapped when two or three key players are injured at the same time.

To finish with, I reckon Benzema would be an extraordinary addition to Manchester United.

anything about now

Wrong. Ligue 1 is a very demanding championship physically and technically, anyone making it to the top there is a near certainty of succeeding abroad. The formation in France is top class, thrice better than the English that furnishes very few quality players whilst the likes of Drogba, Essien, Henry, Evra, Abidal, Clichy, Diaby, Lassana Diarra, Alexandre Song, Gallas all proved indispensable to the first club they went to straight after showing their skills in Ligue 1.
What on earth does a country's talents have anything to do with the standard of the league?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
What on earth does a country's talents have anything to do with the standard of the league?

Where does the talent come from ? From this very league you claim has no talent.

The proportion of abroad success for players formed in France and whose first club was in the Ligue 1 is huge compared to any other league. It's like rubbishing a Brazilian prospect who is very good in Brazil. How on earth can you say he does not stand a chance of succeeding abroad ? The odds are very favourable to him on the contrary. Not to mention the Brazilian League is even far from the Ligue 1 standards.

Thus your point pertaining to Benzema simply does not stand, let alone the fact he showed quality against top opposition such as Manchester or Barcelona in the Champions League.

anything about now

Where does the talent come from ? From this very league you claim has no talent.

The proportion of abroad success for players formed in France and whose first club was in the Ligue 1 is huge compared to any other league. It's like rubbishing a Brazilian prospect who is very good in Brazil. How on earth can you say he does not stand a chance of succeeding abroad ? The odds are very favourable to him on the contrary. Not to mention the Brazilian League is even far from the Ligue 1 standards.

Thus your point pertaining to Benzema simply does not stand, let alone the fact he showed quality against top opposition such as Manchester or Barcelona in the Champions League.
I think you must have either mis-understood my post or mixed it up with someone else's. I made no such claim about talents in France, I was replying to someone else speculating as to why Benzema has not yet moved onto a bigger stage. There is plenty of promising talent coming out of France, but no matter how good the league is according to you, it is still not on level with Serie A, La Liga or EPL. There may be some Diarra's and Clichy's over there, but it's still far different than playing against the Gerrards and Ferdinands. Anelka is last season's golden boot winner, and Henry has been in very good form for Barca, not to mention he's far more experienced, it is only natural that these two are ahead of Benzema in the pecking order unless he has an AMAZING season in 09/10 and rips up the CL with Lyon.

I never said Benzema won't succeed abroad, it was someone else who questioned his ambition.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I never said Benzema won't succeed abroad, it was someone else who questioned his ambition.

Okay, then I misunderstood. To reply more accordingly to what you said, I think Domenech has given opportunites to players who only proved themselves in France over others who are good abroad in the recent past.

Hence the likes of Benzema, Gignac, Hoarau, Luyindula against Lithuania and Nigeria, when we could have seen Anelka or Henry.

I'm even doubtful Henry will be a starter at the World Cup as Domenech does not seem to want to adapt his system to Barça's, where Henry plays on the left wing, where Ribéry is eager to play.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Okay, then I misunderstood. To reply more accordingly to what you said, I think Domenech has given opportunites to players who only proved themselves in France over others who are good abroad in the recent past.

Hence the likes of Benzema, Gignac, Hoarau, Luyindula against Lithuania and Nigeria, when we could have seen Anelka or Henry.

I'm even doubtful Henry will be a starter at the World Cup as Domenech does not seem to want to adapt his system to Barça's, where Henry plays on the left wing, where Ribéry is eager to play.
Well I do not want to disturb your conversations but I just had to speak my head and say Domenech is the by far the worst manager ever! Its a surprise how France pulled through to the WC finals a few years ago..

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We're getting Valencia, Fabregas and an experienced forward.

B Cantona

Desperate
We're getting Valencia, Fabregas and an experienced forward.
Are we genuinely linked with Fabregas, or is that just your wish Sults?

I suggested him the other day, you'd have to think something in the region of £35+ million and Arsenal would sell, even to a major domestic rival

I know Fergie rates him highly

Sultan

Are we genuinely linked with Fabregas, or is that just your wish Sults?

I suggested him the other day, you'd have to think something in the region of £35+ million and Arsenal would sell, even to a major domestic rival

I know Fergie rates him highly
I'm hearing we're going in with an offer. United are not sure Arsenal will do a deal.

Sultan

Interestingly Fabregas has been making very interesting noises regards United recently.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
if there is a glimmer of truth in this fabregas gossip then its a pretty exciting possibility. I rate Fabregas highly and reckon he would do well in our team.
With that said however, i think De Rossi would be better suited to our needs right now.

As for Torres... :lol:
We can dream, but its not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.