Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe, the way US talk about Stuart Mathieson you`d think he was Fergies best man.

Seriously thinking of not renewing my membership this year, for the first time in 13 years. There is never anything new in there.

Had it not been for the reserves/junior stuff and the interviews with former/current players and the cheap price I would have been out years ago.

Poor article, I would expect better from the M.E.N to be honest.

The beginning of the article implies that Benzema would do this (chose United over Real) but in reality is just the opinion of a writer for L'Equipe on what Benzema could and should do. It has no real connection to Benzema.

Actually it's a good article with the opinions of a respected french football writer who pretty much say what most people with a common sense attitude have, that United would be a better fit and less risky than the Madrid Circus.

I've always been of the opinion that should Benzema speak to SAF then he would be convinced that we were a far better destination. However, the main issue I take from that article is that Lyon will sell but are expected mega money, certainly more than the 30 million the tabloids have suggested.

On the the whole however, if we were going to spend between 35-50m on any of the players that have been linked with us this summer then I would be happy if it was on this guy.

I just dont see him leaving Lyon this summer.

Its a world cup year. Even if he's brilliant he could easily have what would appear to be a bad year settling in at either Utd or Real in turn threatening his French place. If he stays at Lyon he's guaranteed first team football in a league he's already comfortable in, have a decent WC on the back of that and his value will sky rocket.

Worst case scenario if Lyon keep him is that he has a bad WC and his value drops, but at 22 its not going to drop all that far and all it would really mean is they get to keep him for a couple of years.

Hehe, the way US talk about Stuart Mathieson you`d think he was Fergies best man.

Seriously thinking of not renewing my membership this year, for the first time in 13 years. There is never anything new in there.

Had it not been for the reserves/junior stuff and the interviews with former/current players and the cheap price I would have been out years ago.

After the Internet really came alive, a fanzine that's out, what, 8-10 times a year, is just not very interesting. Old news. But what can they do?

I'm renewing, just to get tickets really. It is dirt cheap after all. And I've got to read something when I'm taking a dump. :)

Lee Martin's (the old one) player rating for this season really took the piss, an average on 5.2 on a 1-6 scale.

Look I have never seen this player play unless he played against United so it makes my knowledge on this chap well poor at best. Now we have a young striker called Campbell how much better and what can he offer more than Campbell. And this is for a player that Lyon will want 40 million for.

Besides the rather large transfer cost involved are we not going to create a similar problem with three 30 million pound players all wanting to play. We could have the Tevez saga all over again. Would it not be better keeping Campbell who is prepared to play second fiddle then go for some expensive import. Have two forwards and bring on one of the 3 talent youngsters that United already have in there ranks.

And please dont say we cant go into the championship with only two forwards we did in the double winning season and didnt do to badly.

According to todays Telegraph 'Transfer Watch', Lyon have raised the possibility of selling Benzema by inquiring about Egyptian forward Amr Zaki.

Look I have never seen this player play unless he played against United so it makes my knowledge on this chap well poor at best. Now we have a young striker called Campbell how much better and what can he offer more than Campbell. And this is for a player that Lyon will want 40 million for.

Besides the rather large transfer cost involved are we not going to create a similar problem with three 30 million pound players all wanting to play. We could have the Tevez saga all over again. Would it not be better keeping Campbell who is prepared to play second fiddle then go for some expensive import. Have two forwards and bring on one of the 3 talent youngsters that United already have in there ranks.

And please dont say we cant go into the championship with only two forwards we did in the double winning season and didnt do to badly.

Benzema is one of the hottest properties in europe and is looking like being Frances man for the next world cup. we've just sold the best player in the world and lost another international striker.

Campbell is being offered to Hull.

imgopt.php

Benzema is one of the hottest properties in europe and is looking like being Frances man for the next world cup. we've just sold the best player in the world and lost another international striker.

Campbell is being offered to Hull.

Fair enough so he is highly rated , but he has already stated that with the world cup coming up he wants to play and hence prepared to stay at Lyon for this season with the world cup in mind. Now if he does get to go to United how many games is he going to get and will he be happy with the rotation between him and Berba. Another Tevez problem maybe and this is again on top of a 40 million plus transfer.

Fair enough so he is highly rated , but he has already stated that with the world cup coming up he wants to play and hence prepared to stay at Lyon for this season with the world cup in mind. Now if he does get to go to United how many games is he going to get and will he be happy with the rotation between him and Berba. Another Tevez problem maybe and this is again on top of a 40 million plus transfer.

He is that good,that he will be the first team player in a instant,you can't say the same thing about tevez...Tevez never proved he was first team material,atleast for me...

ok lets get something straight, rooney berbatov and benzema could all play in the same team just like when we played ronaldo rooney n tevez in the same team week in week out. It was 3 forwards with little defensive responsibility and it would be the same if we signed him. They are all quality players who could make it work.

Benzema is the complete package, he can lead the line as a lone-striker, is creative, a good finisher, good in the air, relatively two-footed and has a decent footballing brain. Campbell has yet to prove himself on the highest level. Benzema is lightyears ahead of Campbell right now and even though I rate Fraizer and would like to keep him he will most probably never match Benzema's level of talent and quality.

I agree. I cant understand what the fuss about these French geniuses. Its like 1992. We got rid of a young homegrown talent who was capable of scoring in an FA semi final and then brought what was his name? Eric Cantona?:p;)

I think what he gives us is options. I think all 3 can play together, but other than that he provides us with something different to whats there at the moment. at his age and with his potential in todays market 35 or 40 million looks a bargain. its about great players competing for places. should we really avoid bringing any more quality in cos we have 2 proven centre forwards already? we have lost 2 players from our forward line. I hope we are replacing them with someone who deserves to be in the team and not a backup

I would really like for us to get Benzema & Benzema alone he IMO is EXACTLY what we need.. (We sort of missed out on Torres & I would not want us to miss out on Benzema too.. Also He IMO is the closest thing to Torres) If this means waiting for him for 1 year then so be it.. He may be a bit expensive but will be worth every single penny IMO..

Moreover If he decides to move onto Spain 5-6 years down the line (which he may or may not not choose to do ofcourse) I will not be happy but would accept that… I do not think SAF will reject a player who somewhere in the future may want to go to Spain.. (Mind SAF is on his last leg and he will be our manager for a max of 4-5 years.. He will want as much success as he can put his hands on)

Since I said I don’t mind waiting a year to get him we would obviously need a decent backup for Rooney & Berbatov for this season (as Welbeck & Macheda are not enough) Either we keep Campbell for 1 more season or we sign a player on loan or even get in an experienced striker who could probably play for 1-2 years more..

Real Madrid have said to be interested and so have we.. There is every likely chance that he may go to Real.. But he doesn't really fit into what they are looking for IMO... I think they would be happier getting in Zlatan.. Anyway this is not for us to decide..

I also want to point out that just because a team are interested in a player and have made a inquiry doesn't necessarily mean they are going to go all out to buy him.. They could just be inquiring to ensure they have alternate options if their primary target is not met.. Villa was certainly their number 1 target and now that Valencia have come out and said they will not sell they will now look at their alternatives.. It could be Anyone and it is really hard to say..

If they do not get who they want they can very easily rest on their laurels as they already have a very competent strike force with Raul, Higuain, Ruud, Huntelaar and the option to bring Negredo in as well.. I would think that signing Ribery would suffice.. If not Ribery I can definitely see them get in atleast one more attacker..

What's strange is that I haven't read a single article with Real's or our management/directors claiming that we are planning a bid. And no bids have been submitted. So to me it's all bullshit.

But hypothetically...... If Benzema is offered a chance to leave Lyon then he should snatch it with both hands. It's clear he's outgrown Ligue 1 and he's hit a wall, metaphorically, in terms of his development. Without better opposition week in week out he won't be improving. Sure Lyon a're in the Champions League next season (barely) but if they don't get through the qualifiers then Benzema will have no proper opposition to prepare for the World Cup. This will probably lead to him getting complacent against inferior opposition, and so he'll get to the World Cup and.....well he'll most likely flop.

Same thing happened with Rossi in our reserves. He dominated all other teams and started suffering until we promoted him. If SAF wasn't so good at youth development then Rossi would have suffered a lag in his development.

Anyway, back to Benzema. If he does have another uneventful season and then a bad World Cup, then interest in him will plummet. His transfer fee will fall and all the while he could be stuck at Lyon, while constantly failing to improve. It's not as if he's got a great squad. They came third in a piss easy league that they previously dominated for 7 years. Lyon have become average from selling on too many players. Just imagine Benzema at Lyon in 2 years with no interested parties? He'll be desperate to leave and he'll go to any other shit team in the hope it'll reignite his career.

So I hope he leaves Lyon this summer, to come to us. He's not going to warm the bench. With Ronaldo and Tevez gone we're short of players. If anything SAF will keep Rooney on the left and put Benzema up top with Berbatov(if were playing a 4-4-2) or else have all three up top. Regardless of our formation Benzema will play. And seeing as he's physically developed already then he won't be victim of being muscled out. Hes also very quick. He'll be a stronger French version of Torres. And he won't be a ladyboy......I hope :worried:

not really, we had Rooney, Tevez and Saha if memory serves me well

Anyway, back to Benzema. If he does have another uneventful season and then a bad World Cup, then interest in him will plummet. His transfer fee will fall and all the while he could be stuck at Lyon, while constantly failing to improve. It's not as if he's got a great squad. They came third in a piss easy league that they previously dominated for 7 years. Lyon have become average from selling on too many players. Just imagine Benzema at Lyon in 2 years with no interested parties? He'll be desperate to leave and he'll go to any other shit team in the hope it'll reignite his career.

That makes sense in theory.. But practically I am afraid you are very off the mark.. His ability is obvious and its not like he is going to regress or get worse if he has a bad season or a bad WC (or both) and even if he does I can still see many clubs jumping at the opportunity to sign this guy.. As he will still have the ability to be a top player..

Saha barely counts to be fair - Welbeck and Kiko would be equal, at least, to Saha's contribution over a season.

Well we had a very bad start because we had no fit strikers.. As Rooney got his injury on the 1st day of the season against Reading.. And Saha was always injured... Tevez had not played any football in months and had absolutely no pre-season on him as he had played in the WC was it? and given a deserved rest..

But for the rest of the season we had both Rooney & Tevez fit.. We even played Ronaldo up top a few times.. (A luxury we can no longer afford I think)

So I would say Welbeck & Macheda are not enough.. However if you would add Campbell to the mix I would see no reason as to why that would not work! FFS I still don't get why SAF is selling him before we sign a replacement for Tevez..

That makes sense in theory.. But practically I am afraid you are very off the mark.. His ability is obvious and its not like he is going to regress or get worse if he has a bad season or a bad WC (or both) and even if he does I can still see many clubs jumping at the opportunity to sign this guy.. As he will still have the ability to be a top player..

I didn't say he would get worse. But he won't get a better chance to join a top team unless he goes now

I forgot about him has he spent some much time in the clinic. He was injured so often that season I think its fair to say that we only had two strikers ok 2 and a bit strikers.

Didn't we have Ole as well

Two bit players = 1 player

I forgot about him has he spent some much time in the clinic. He was injured so often that season I think its fair to say that we only had two strikers ok 2 and a bit strikers.

We also happened to have Ronaldo, which kind of made a big attacking difference!

Didn't we have Ole as well

Two bit players = 1 player

hehe fair enough , but today we have 2 first team forwards and three highly rated youngsters.

United for a number of games last season player with one forward ok that player was Ronaldo, so we only have two strikers and the way United played especially durning the latter stages of last season Champions league I feel this would be enough.

Im for one in given youngsters there due. And not just any youngsters I feel that the three that United have there is real talent . Lets have a look at the last stirker we let go on the cheap , Rossi hasnt turned out to bad. Im sure one if not more of Welbeck , Campbell and Macheda shall be a hit.

hehe fair enough , but today we have 2 first team forwards and three highly rated youngsters.

United for a number of games last season player with one forward ok that player was Ronaldo, so we only have two strikers and the way United played especially durning the latter stages of last season Champions league I feel this would be enough.

Im for one in given youngsters there due. And not just any youngsters I feel that the three that United have there is real talent . Lets have a look at the last stirker we let go on the cheap , Rossi hasnt turned out to bad. Im sure one if not more of Welbeck , Campbell and Macheda shall be a hit.

Good point, but we can't rely on 3 developing talents when we need a third striker, and possibly more strikers to play in the cup matches. Fixture congestion hit us hard last season, and we're two strikers short. We need to replace that manpower, and then further strengthen to stay ahead of the competition. Can't rely on players fulfilling their potential. That's not to say I think they're not good enough. I believe fully in our youth players but maybe next season is too soon for any of them.

people keep spouting off about campbell, havent we agreed to sell him? Didnt SAF advise him to sign for Hull?

We cannot count Campbell. Macheda and wellbeck for the future, not ready yet but will get more action this season.

I think we lacked an out and out sriker last season, so we defo need one now without ronnie's goals.

God help us if rooney gets injured.

Good point, but we can't rely on 3 developing talents when we need a third striker, and possibly more strikers to play in the cup matches. Fixture congestion hit us hard last season, and we're two strikers short. We need to replace that manpower, and then further strengthen to stay ahead of the competition. Can't rely on players fulfilling their potential. That's not to say I think they're not good enough. I believe fully in our youth players but maybe next season is too soon for any of them.

well said :p

I just don't see what the problem with cash is.

Ronaldo £80,000,000

Cash for tevez transfer £25,000,000.

Valencia, £17,000,000.

Benzema £ 40,000,000.

By my estimate we are still nearly fifty million up. i'm not suggesting that we must sign these two, but readies can't be a problem for us.

What's strange is that I haven't read a single article with Real's or our management/directors claiming that we are planning a bid. And no bids have been submitted. So to me it's all bullshit.

But hypothetically...... If Benzema is offered a chance to leave Lyon then he should snatch it with both hands. It's clear he's outgrown Ligue 1 and he's hit a wall, metaphorically, in terms of his development. Without better opposition week in week out he won't be improving. Sure Lyon a're in the Champions League next season (barely) but if they don't get through the qualifiers then Benzema will have no proper opposition to prepare for the World Cup. This will probably lead to him getting complacent against inferior opposition, and so he'll get to the World Cup and.....well he'll most likely flop.

Same thing happened with Rossi in our reserves. He dominated all other teams and started suffering until we promoted him. If SAF wasn't so good at youth development then Rossi would have suffered a lag in his development.

So I hope he leaves Lyon this summer, to come to us. He's not going to warm the bench. With Ronaldo and Tevez gone we're short of players. If anything SAF will keep Rooney on the left and put Benzema up top with Berbatov(if were playing a 4-4-2) or else have all three up top. Regardless of our formation Benzema will play. And seeing as he's physically developed already then he won't be victim of being muscled out. Hes also very quick. He'll be a stronger French version of Torres. And he won't be a ladyboy......I hope :worried:

I think you're wrong, he's still got to prove it to everyone he's the best in France.The guy is good but he's hardly above anybody else, he has still got to prove it.Several players were better than him this season

After the Internet really came alive, a fanzine that's out, what, 8-10 times a year, is just not very interesting. Old news. But what can they do?

I'm renewing, just to get tickets really. It is dirt cheap after all. And I've got to read something when I'm taking a dump. :)

Lee Martin's (the old one) player rating for this season really took the piss, an average on 5.2 on a 1-6 scale.

That was laughable to say the least. I would be embarrased if that was posted on here. Basically if you played you got a five.

Fergie is insisting (probably not the right word but it's what the translator says) on a transfer according to his agent;

Djaziri (Benzema agent): "Ferguson is insisting on"

While interested in the larger European clubs (Manchester United, Real Madrid, Inter Milan), Karim Benzema returned from Turkey on Friday where he was on vacation. Her agent Karim Djaziri has made the point this Thursday at the microphone 1 in Europe on the situation of the striker OL: "Karim has long wished to make a break during his vacation and not to talk transfers, it is aware of the bustle around him, but this does not moves more than that. " On the possibility of a departure to Manchester United, his agent said: "Ferguson is insisting on a transfer but will not exceed 40 million, I do not believe it! The biggest transfer of a young 21 years, was at the time of Robinho from Santos (Brazil) to Real Madrid for 24 million euros, and on the other hand, Karim can not claim more than David Villa with a value estimated at over 40 million. All these opportunities are great but if not this year it will be next year. The question is not whether it will sign in one of the big clubs, but when?"

Translated link; http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sports.fr%2Fcmc%2Fscanner%2Ffootball%2F200926%2Fdjaziri-(agent-de-benzema)-ferguson-le-veut-absolument_232848.html%3Fpopup&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Original link for French speakers; http://www.sports.fr/cmc/scanner/football/200926/djaziri-(agent-de-benzema)-ferguson-le-veut-absolument_232848.html?popup

So, basically we've put in bids for Benzema, Valencia, Pato and Santos. And are also interested in Et'o, Rossi, Mike Yarwood, Sanchez and Hugo.

brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.