Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.
By that do you mean Benzema isn't a proper striker, in that he can't lead the line in Rooney's absence?

That kind of player i.e Suarez and Jevotic..

I think Benzema is exactly the type of player who SAF will be chasing.. One who can lead the line as well as play in a 4-4-2... I am not so sure where everyone has got this idea about Benzema being able to play from the left in a 4-3-3 because I personally have never seen him play that position. Also a question to all you folks has he played in that sort of role for either club or country in recent seasons? Anyone?

My friend and I have this conversation constantly. I mean if I was a young world class potential talent football player there is only three clubs I would consider going anywhere in Europe.

Barca, Arsenal and United.

Seriously every other big club is a joke where arrogant and/or ignorant people run the clubs. I mean Inter won Italy 3 years running and Mancini is canned and clearly Mourihno is not staying either. Madrid is a circus. Milan is run bu an arrogant crook. Pool is dead in the water. Chelsea only cares about World Class Mercenaries. Juventas has so lost there way. Bayern had lost their way signing players but with no team concept although that may be changing now. And everyone else is second rate.

Anyone who signs for Barca or Arsenal I can understand. Anyone else either wants money or has some issues.

There is not much I can disagree with there.. What bewilders me is this.. Barca almost never buy young players because more often than not they already have potential stars coming through their academies because they pick them up very early and hardly spend the amount of money in the transfer market as compared to us.. Arsenal are the same and also have had financial issues since they moved from Highbury.. So I wonder how these players tend to snub us?

Bar one season we almost always reach the QF stage of the CL.. Every 4 out of 5 years we are always in contention of winning the PL.. And we tend to pick up the odd cup here and there every other season.. We have a World Class STABLE manager who has a great RECORD of grooming young talents into Top Quality players if not World Class ones.. We have a huge stadium packed with a minimum of 65k people every matchday.. We have a rich history, a not so stingy wage budget.. World class facilities, coaches, physio's, youth system (academy) and this list can go on and on..

Yep. You've got some outlandish opinions. Rooney's been brilliant. . .his movement upfront is as good as anything you'll ever see. The way he makes space is something else. We're seeing a player at the top of his game, he's reached Ronaldo's level(of a couple of seasons back). He learnt how to utilise his energy in the right places - he many not be the animal he was a few years back in the sense of covering every blade of grass - but he's become a much better player for it.

All that at the cost of his once-awesome general play with the ball at his feet suffering? Hence the word potential.

There are ample strikers out there in the Ruud mould who could play the role Rooney is restricted to now.

All that at the cost of his once-awesome general play with the ball at his feet suffering? Hence the word potential.

There are ample strikers out there in the Ruud mould who could play the role Rooney is restricted to now.

He's playing as a no 9. That's his role he's also brilliant up on his own. And no there aren't ample strikers out there who can do what he or Ruud(could) can do. You make it sound so simple. He's a world class(shit I used that term) striker.

That kind of player i.e Suarez and Jevotic..

I think Benzema is exactly the type of player who SAF will be chasing.. One who can lead the line as well as play in a 4-4-2... I am not so sure where everyone has got this idea about Benzema being able to play from the left in a 4-3-3 because I personally have never seen him play that position. Also a question to all you folks has he played in that sort of role for either club or country in recent seasons? Anyone?

He played there plenty of times for Lyon, especially at the start of his career(which is recent enough).

He doesn't like it though.

Out of interest; and sorry if it's been covered in this thread, but I'm not trawling through 109 pages; what system would we have played if Benzema had come to Old Trafford? Would Rooney have been back out on the left?

Out of interest; and sorry if it's been covered in this thread, but I'm not trawling through 109 pages; what system would we have played if Benzema had come to Old Trafford? Would Rooney have been back out on the left?

I would have guessed he and Rooney would alternated particularly as he is accomplished at playing wide left already in his Lyon career.

In the matches where a three man midfield wasn't necessary I guess it would be a straight 4-4-2 or something similar.

Sorry if this has already been answered but each time I try to click on page 109 it takes me back to 108.

If we had bought Benzema I think he and Rooney would have interchanged on the left side in 4-3-3.

Rotation :D

With Rooney getting most games. Benz would be ideally suited if Rooney was to be rested or injured and SAF wanted to play 4-5-1.

Rooney, Benz and Berbatov. :drool:

Oh well. We'll never know, probably...

I've never really seen him play, apart from when we beat them in 07/08. His goal was truly marvelous. The hallmark of a very special talent - no space, minimum backlift, 20 yards out, goal. I hope he doesn't rot in Madrid.

Sorry if this has already been answered but each time I try to click on page 109 it takes me back to 108.

If we had bought Benzema I think he and Rooney would have interchanged on the left side in 4-3-3.

:confused:

No page 109 showing on my end.

edit: I've tipped the scales.

My opinion on Benz has vacillated thoughout the year. I'd love to see him at United, but at the same time, I'm not convinced that such an investment would yield anything more than what we have now, particularly with Kiko and Diouf looking promising for the future.

My opinion on Benz has vacillated thoughout the year. I'd love to see him at United, but at the same time, I'm not convinced that such an investment would yield anything more than what we have now, particularly with Kiko and Diouf looking promising for the future.

You're surely not suggesting that Benzema wouldn't be an upgrade on Diouf? The improvement Diouf would need to make in order to ever be on par with Benzema is vast!

Rotation :D

With Rooney getting most games. Benz would be ideally suited if Rooney was to be rested or injured and SAF wanted to play 4-5-1.

Rooney, Benz and Berbatov. :drool:

That and Benz could lead the line and Rooney play in the hole. Adding someone of his pedigree would so add to our options.

That and Benz could lead the line and Rooney play in the hole. Adding someone of his pedigree would so add to our options.

I actually was thinking about that like when Ruud was here. I'm by no means comparing Benz and Ruud!

---------------------Fletcher----Hargo--------------------
----Valencia--------------------------------------Nani----
--------------------Rooney-------------------------------
-------------------------------Benzema-------------------

I think both are good enough to switch out throughout the whole game. Plus both are good link up players which would suit the 442 perfectly.

He was on the bench for Real last night but didn't get on as Raul had his customary 15 minutes.

What is the likelihood that he will become available.

I remember last summer when it looked like he was coming to us. The silly bugger.

Benzema turned us down and would only come here because he has been a failure at Real, let him rot there

Get over it, what he can offer Manchester United is bigger than your personal moral codes.

Yeah. SAF went back for Shearer a couple of times. He also eventually got his hands on Blanc, Larsson and van der Sar.

Benzema is different though - still no where near the peak of his powers. SAF would snap him up if the opportunity arose. From the very little I've seen of him, I think he looks like a stellar talent.

It's Real Madrid. The unlikely is a great possibility.

I'd snap him in a heartbeat. Great talent, and he'll also be over that Real Madrid bug that seems to attack players.

Just cant see him coming here at all as City would offer 3 times more money and leave Adebayor on the bench. And would Real really sell him considering they are trying to buy all the best young talent in the game now? I think a loan move would be the only option which would be great if we could pull it off!

Get over it, what he can offer Manchester United is bigger than your personal moral codes.

What the blazes has my personal moral codes got do with Benzema, get off your high horse man and quit trying to be the big smart guy. You want him here I dont, everyone is entitled to their opinon

Well the more that happens the higher the chance of him leaving - but if they do sell Raul and/or Higuain in the summer then there's sod all chance of Benzmea leaving too

If they sell Higuain he'd be just as useful to us as Benzema I think, I guess most will depend on if they buy Villa.

Where would Higuain likely end up?

City are the only ones that have been linked so far but if he goes on the market I suspect every top team will be taking an interest.

The managers head is so far up Raul's ass it's unreal. Whatever happened to picking players on their quality.

It's not the manager it's the infrastructure of the club in general, Pellegrini has done well to even make him a sub given the power he has.

Benzema turned us down and would only come here because he has been a failure at Real, let him rot there

I know you are entitled to your own opinion but your opinion is just shit. You dont want a world class striker at your team? You dont want him just because he rejected us? Real was his boyhood club and he always dreamed of playing for them. Look at it this way - you are a football player and your favorite club even as a boy was Manchester United. Now both Madrid and United want to sign you. Who would you sign for?

What the blazes has my personal moral codes got do with Benzema, get off your high horse man and quit trying to be the big smart guy. You want him here I dont, everyone is entitled to their opinon

Yeah but you don't want him here because he went to Madrid instead of what he can offer Manchester United..

I know you are entitled to your own opinion but your opinion is just shit. You dont want a world class striker at your team? You dont want him just because he rejected us? Real was his boyhood club and he always dreamed of playing for them. Look at it this way - you are a football player and your favorite club even as a boy was Manchester United. Now both Madrid and United want to sign you. Who would you sign for?

I'd sign for the club that offered me the most for my career to progress. If he's signed here we would have built the forward line around him and Rooney.He wasn't to know what would happen at Madrid but at a guess I would have thought that he'd see Kaka, Higuain and realise that it was going to be competitive....but maybe he was after that competition. We'd have to ask the lad himself

As for where he went. Was it entirely his choice? Madrid offered more money than us and we weren't going to go over our valuation.

He said from day 1 that Real were his dream club didn't he? Personally i'd rather have someone whos dream it is to play for Manchester United. I know he's still a good player and all but the lads had his chance i'm not sure how much faith i'd have in him now. For all we know he could sulk that his dream move never worked out.

I know Fergie has gone in for players he's missed out on before but have we been as close to signing them as we were with Benzema where they have made it clear they would rather play for someone else? I think more than anything he wants players that really want to play for this club. And what about his comments on Torres? It appears when he went to Liverpool we wern't really in for him but had been in past seasons though due to him not being too keen to sign for us he said we gave up on it and moved on so even when the chance presented itself we never made a move.

Personally I would take Higuain all day logn over Benzema. Hypothetically of course.

I'd sign for the club that offered me the most for my career to progress. If he's signed here we would have built the forward line around him and Rooney.He wasn't to know what would happen at Madrid but at a guess I would have thought that he'd see Kaka, Higuain and realise that it was going to be competitive....but maybe he was after that competition. We'd have to ask the lad himself

As for where he went. Was it entirely his choice? Madrid offered more money than us and we weren't going to go over our valuation.

Really? I'd sign for United, but that's just me.

I reckon if we had Hargreaves and Fletcher in a midfield two it would be secure enough to play two up top against the better sides. This would require a new striker, which Benzema could be. If 4-3-3 was needed he could play up top or on the left

The simple answer to you my friend without insulting your opinons like you have choose to do with mine is that is if he is so world class what the hell is he doing on the Real bench? He would only come here as a Real reject and we dont do rejects

He said from day 1 that Real were his dream club didn't he? Personally i'd rather have someone whos dream it is to play for Manchester United. I know he's still a good player and all but the lads had his chance i'm not sure how much faith i'd have in him now. For all we know he could sulk that his dream move never worked out.

I know Fergie has gone in for players he's missed out on before but have we been as close to signing them as we were with Benzema where they have made it clear they would rather play for someone else? I think more than anything he wants players that really want to play for this club. And what about his comments on Torres? It appears when he went to Liverpool we wern't really in for him but had been in past seasons though due to him not being too keen to sign for us he said we gave up on it and moved on so even when the chance presented itself we never made a move.

Personally I would take Higuain all day logn over Benzema. Hypothetically of course.

It would make sense that a French kid of Algerian descent would dream of playing for the club in which a French player of Algerian descent was making his mark as the best player of a generation (Zidane); Benzema would have been around twelve at the time Zizou signed for Real.
It would probably be true to state there are kids in Portugal, particularly Madeira who now adore United (and probably now Real) because Ronaldo played for us and was the best player in the world for that time he was. Same with kids in Angloa because Manucho played for us, etc etc.
Cantona grew up in love with Marseilles football club and eventually got the chance to play for his boyhood team which was a complete balls-up. Same with Fergie, a Rangers fan through and through but his time at Ibrox was disastrous.
I'm sure if given the chance, Benzema would jump at the chance of playing for United if he thought he couldn't crack it at Real. Like most others, I was personally gutted he felt compelled to 'choose' them over us. Obviously it was no secret Ronaldo was joining them and he is a big drawcard to play alongside but it hasn't transpired. I think his heart wasn't fully in it perhaps and a move to United would have been more fulfilling, especially with French team-mate Evra who is clearly the most-likeable squad member at United, whereas there are no French players at Real (aside from Diarra!), but he would have also been star-billing alongside Rooney, whereas at Real, he was never going to be anywhere near the likes of Ronaldo, Kaka and clearly not even seen favourably over an ancient Raul.
Ferguson has gone for players in the past TWICE, yes, but these players were Les Sealey and Alan Shearer, he traditionally tends to scorn players who shun United and rightly so.
For this reason and also it would seem odd Benzema not give it another year at least to try and crack his way in the team, I suspect we WON'T sign Benzema. I was surprised Owen discussing signing for another two seasons. If we were to sign Benzema, would that mean curtains for Berbatov if were to have Rooney, resign Owen, sign Benzema and recall Welbeck and Macheda to the squad?
Real might have been the star attraction for several high profile players last summer, but we will always be a massive attraction ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.