Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.
Failed?

It was clear from the start we were only going to use him as a clear third choice.

Owen was brought as clear third choice but he was also brought in after we failed to bring in Benzema (who wouldn't had been brought as a clear third choice). I doubt that SAF is happy about having to rely on Rooney in nearly every single game, yet we do so. So yes, the very fact that we can't allow to give rest to Rooney makes Owen a failed experiment expecially considering that the former Liverpool player had (till the time of writing) failed to impose himself against solid defenses.

100%

Scholes and Giggs could hang up their boots this summer for all we know (more likely Scholes). And we still have not replaced them.

If Fergie has any faith in the likes of Diouf, Welbeck, Macheda and Josh King, then it seems unlikely we will be buying a big name striker, when central midfield, left wing (and maybe central defence) will have big holes to fill.

If SAF has real faith on Welbeck, Macheda and Josh King he would

a) he would not have signed Owen/Diouf in the first place( + never tried to sign Benzema)
b) he would give them more matches.

Youth talent need regular first team chances to develop and how things stand they aren't being given that.

No one is ready to spend 20m - 30m for a cover. .
When you are trying to cover for the loss of the best payer in the world and another world class forward in Tevez, you do. Bottom lien we wanted to strengthen our forwardline with someone of quality last summer. Our preffered choice was Benema. When that failed we added Owen. All because the master plan was to play 4-4-2. Our midfield however simply hasn't proven up to the task.

We wanted a quality striker to seriously partner/compete with Rooney/Berba upfront. We failed in that and had to settle for Owen who was on free and heading to mighty Hull. Owen was a quick fix, a statement issued by the club to all those clubs who tried to force our hand to overspend. At the end of the day it was an experiment that failed (at least till the time of writing), since Owen had never really forced his way in the side and was relegated to the bench for much of the time. I won't be surprised if Owen leaves the club next season.
:lol: It hasn't failed in any way.:lol: Owen was drafted in to be our 3 senior striker of proven quality. A role he has played to perfection. No doubt we'd all have preferred Benzema to be here and Berbatov to have Owen's current role. But no one can honestly claim what we have now is a failed experiment.

BTW Diouf and Macheda are light years behind Saha. Its like saying that Heskey = Rooney since he is hardworking and a tough nut.
Typically pathetic comparisons again. The only thing Saha has over them 2 players is experience. Nothing else. Both are just as fast as he is, are just as good on the ball and have an eye for goal like he does. They are both as naturally talented as he is. Possibly even more so. While Heskey's natural talents are way inferior to Rooney's

I've stated before that left wing should be given first priority on the other hand I can't see why we should give the same priority to central midfield. I mean we already have Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson and Gibson in the side + Giggs and Scholes has another year left in them. Not to forget about players like Petrucci and Pogba whom while being young can add strength in depth.
Scholes and Giggs should be as good as finshed by next year unless we are extremely lucky. For they'll be 37 and 36 respectively. Yet we still heavily depend on them. Yet both Anderson and Gibson clearly lack the maturity as of now to fully take over there roles in the team. They is little doubt the old guard need proper replacing as of the start of next season.

As for the likes of Petrucci, Pogba and Eikrem, they are at least 3 years way from first team football.

PS Ruud passed his last year fighting for his place with Saha (whom I have to confess had a better year then he had). So yes doubts where already raised before he left us. I still think that the dead weight argument was a bit BS. Ruud was never brought for his movement but for his ability to score something that he did very well.
I agree. It was beyond bs for me.
I have no doubt if Ruud hadn't fallen out with Fergie and Ron, he'd still be here banging in goals for us.

Anyway whether we are talking about gk, left wing, central midfield or forward line we will have to sell/loan before we buy because there are too many staff in those roles already.
We have players likely to retire. We also have young players who will have to go on loan to develop and some senior one who might just leave. I'm convinced next season we will make at least 2 signings. & my money is on them being proper replacements for Scholes and Giggs, now that Edwin has signed another contract extension.

100%

Scholes and Giggs could hang up their boots this summer for all we know (more likely Scholes). And we still have not replaced them.

If Fergie has any faith in the likes of Diouf, Welbeck, Macheda and Josh King, then it seems unlikely we will be buying a big name striker, when central midfield, left wing (and maybe central defence) will have big holes to fill.
Spot on.

....... I doubt that SAF is happy about having to rely on Rooney in nearly every single game,.......
I seriously doubt Fergei can be unhappy with us relying heavily on our best player. that is what he is there for.

So yes, the very fact that we can't allow to give rest to Rooney makes Owen a failed experiment expecially considering that the former Liverpool player had (till the time of writing) failed to impose himself against solid defenses.
He imposed himself on them long before this game today. You just stubbornly fail to admit it because you dislike Owen as much as you dislike Inzaghi. That's all.

Owen was brought as clear third choice but he was also brought in after we failed to bring in Benzema (who wouldn't had been brought as a clear third choice). I doubt that SAF is happy about having to rely on Rooney in nearly every single game, yet we do so. So yes, the very fact that we can't allow to give rest to Rooney makes Owen a failed experiment expecially considering that the former Liverpool player had (till the time of writing) failed to impose himself against solid defenses.

Owen wasn't brought in to perform the same role as Benzema, so any comparison is pointless.

We can give Rooney a rest, we just don't feel the need to. It's the same every season.

I seriously doubt Fergei can be unhappy with us relying heavily on our best player. that is what he is there for.

Nothing wrong in relying heavily on a player. Stating that a player needs rest.

He imposed himself on them long before this game today. You just stubbornly fail to admit it because you dislike Owen as much as you dislike Inzaghi. That's all.

He never imposed himself against tough defenses. His goals came against Wolfsburg's defense (whose the laughing stock of the Bundersliga), Shitty (hardly a tough defense itself) and teams like Wigan. Hardly world beaters.

PS: I rate Inzaghi as the best finisher of his generation. :lol:

Owen wasn't brought in to perform the same role as Benzema, so any comparison is pointless.

We can give Rooney a rest, we just don't feel the need to. It's the same every season.

Plus, Fergie knows him by now and I am sure he would give him a rest if he needed one or if he could afford leaving him out

He never imposed himself against tough defenses.
He imposed himself against Liverpool at Anfield. Has done so twice against City and yesterday vs Villa.

Your initial claim was he disappears vs those defences.

PS: I rate Inzaghi as the best finisher of his generation. :lol:
I never said anything about you rating him or not. I just said you don't like him. That is why you said he had ''Serie C playing ability yet was doing well for himself at clubs like Juventus''... to paraphrase...

Basically the same type of disrespectful stuff you often say about Owen. It's personal dislike rather than actual truth. For Owen has been proving you wrong since he arrived but you won't be caught dead or alive admitting it.

He imposed himself against

I never said anything about you rating him or not. I just said you don't like him. That is why you said he had ''Serie C playing ability yet was doing well for himself at clubs like Juventus''... to paraphrase...

Basically the same type of disrespectful stuff you often say about Owen. It's personal dislike rather than actual truth. For Owen has been proving you wrong since he arrived but you won't be caught dead or alive admitting it.

So that's your concept of hatred? :lol: If that's the case then believe me there are many people who hate Inzaghi, which include himself (he once said that his own brother Simone is much more technically gifted then him, and Simone is no Roberto Baggio). I could have used the more politically correct 'one dimensional' phrase. Stating that Im not really a master in political correctness BS.

Inzaghi is NOT a technically gifted player. He rarely beat the player, in fact his way of scoring goals is to stay very close to the opponent's last defender and try to catch them unguarded. SAF himself has stated this when he said that ''Inzaghi was born in an offside position''. That doesn't mean that he is shite. His positioning and his eye of goal is effective that makes him one of the lethal strikers ever.

Anyway I never thought that stating that a striker is the most deadly striker in his generation would be comprehended as being disrespectful. :D

well Hes just not playing, is it because of injury or is he in the doghouse? if the latter, a cheeky bid in the summer?

Do we need a new striker in the summer though? There are other areas that needs strengthening more IMO.

Do we need a new striker in the summer though? There are other areas that needs strengthening more IMO.

Depends, I envisage Benzema if brought in the summer was to play as a central striker in a 4-4-2 and on the left when we play 4-3-3. I think if we are going to purchase a new striker it has to be someone like that or else they like Berbatov would spend majority of big matches on the bench. Still think we could do with another match winner going forward even with Nani and Berbatov's progress.

I think we're fine when it comes to wingers, perhaps we could do with a long term replacement for Scholes and only need a defender if Vidic leaves. If we ship PIG and Foster then we probably need to buy a young ish keeper.

well Hes just not playing, is it because of injury or is he in the doghouse? if the latter, a cheeky bid in the summer?

He's injured (groin). Due back next week apparently.

Reports emerging from Spain suggest that Karim Benzema is ready to leave Real Madrid this summer and that the La Liga side may accept a deal that sees the highly rated Frenchman in the summer. Sir Alex Ferguson has previously been quoted as being a big admirer of the powerful forward and the Old Trafford boss is known to have attempting to sign the player when he was at Lyon.

The 22 year old Lyon born striker only moved to the Bernabeu in a £30m+ deal in the summer but has struggled to force his way into a regular spot at Real Madrid and has found himself behind in form Argentine Gonzalo Higuain in the first team picture and with only eight goals to his name this term it has been reported that Manuel Pellegrini would consider offers for the Frenchman.

Clearly relations between Manchester United and Real Madrid are strained at best given the manner in which the Premier League champions believe the La Liga side have conducted themselves in relation to several deals between the two clubs, most recently in the form of Cristiano Ronaldo’s move last summer.

Would Real allow such a talent to leave the club to join a direct Champions League rival? Well one would imagine that any team they sold to would be one of Europe’s elite so perhaps there is no avoiding such a sale. Manchester United are also supposedly keen on bringing more firepower to Old Trafford so as to avoid putting too much pressure on Wayne Rooney.

A number of Real Madrid’s large squad are apparently likely to be offloaded this summer as the Spanish side continues to trim its wage bill and one such player could well be Karim Benzema and if that is the case then surely Sir Alex Ferguson will be waiting in the wings to snap up the goal machine.
Manchester United Could Snap Up £35m Striker This Summer: Real Madrid Star Karim Benzema Considers Move | Caught Offside

Spanish media: Frustrated Benzema eyes United deal 01 April 2010 - 11:05 | Sport.co.uk

He'd be a beast in the Premiership, but I think it will be difficult to keep both him and Berbatov happy. If we went for a back-up striker this summer, I'd rather want us to go for a cheaper option.

He'd be a beast in the Premiership, but I think it will be difficult to keep both him and Berbatov happy. If we went for a back-up striker this summer, I'd rather want us to go for a cheaper option.

SAF's a big admirer and if he was to be on the bench for a bit (like Berbatov this season), he'd be a better impact sub than Berbatov. At the end of the season I could see Berbatov leaving by mutual consent because I don't think he'd be happy about the limited playing time he's had in the big matches. Mind you I can't really see any other champions league club that would want him. Maybe Milan but they're skint.

I think the Premier League would suit his style of play more than La Liga, in the same way Torres is obviously more suited to the Premier League than La Liga. That said. he won't be leaving any time soon. Higuain is far more likely to leave as Perez doesn't seem to want him there as he is a reminder of the Calderon regime.

SAF's a big admirer and if he was to be on the bench for a bit (like Berbatov this season), he'd be a better impact sub than Berbatov. At the end of the season I could see Berbatov leaving by mutual consent because I don't think he'd be happy about the limited playing time he's had in the big matches. Mind you I can't really see any other champions league club that would want him. Maybe Milan but they're skint.

No way Berbatov is going to leave this summer.

Benzema would certainly add power and pace to the United forward line. On paper having Rooney, Benzema feeding of Valencia and Nani sounds a very tempting prospect. He'd also be very good as a lone striker in case Rooney got injured or needed a rest.

Benzema would certainly add power and pace to the United forward line. On paper having Rooney, Benzema feeding of Valencia and Nani sounds a very tempting prospect. He'd also be very good as a lone striker in case Rooney got injured or needed a rest.

Or injured. I'm not one of those who think we need a big striker signing this sumemr, but if we do go for someone I'd personally rather we spent £20-25m on Benzema than £40-45m on Villa

Or injured. I'm not one of those who think we need a big striker signing this sumemr, but if we do go for someone I'd personally rather we spent £20-25m on Benzema than £40-45m on Villa

Certainly makes more financial sense (value for money) taking Villa's age into consideration.

You talk sense. I also think that apart from age alone, Benzema is more adaptable and should he need to would be equally adapt at playing on either the left or right hand side of a 4-5-1 system. With Villa we would be stuck playing 4-4-2 or be forced to move Rooney to the left wing when we wanted to play 4-5-1 (which i don't think anyone wants to see again)

Ive only seen him play maybe half a dozen times and all of them were for lyon, looked a great prospect. So answer me this; what makes you so sure he can handle the premiership/star for united if he can't hack it at madrid?

Especially when it came at the same time as Kaka's "injury" :smirk:

I have a feeling Raul has something to do with this, but it's just a feeling.

Put it this way, every game Raul must play a part in, from what I've seen this season even if the team is losing or playing teams as strong as Barca. The one time Pellergrini didn't pick him he had aot of explaining to do with the press. Now havingonly Raul to bring on for Higuain solves a huge dilema of having Benzema ready to come on who is much beter than the legendary number 7. Or maybe Benzema's injury is really bad, who knows.

Ive only seen him play maybe half a dozen times and all of them were for lyon, looked a great prospect. So answer me this; what makes you so sure he can handle the premiership/star for united if he can't hack it at madrid?

Better manager who believes in his players

I don't think its a question of him not being able to hack it at Madrid. More a question of Real bought the wrong player at the wrong time. They want a team now, not in the future and although Benzema is clearly a good player, he is not a great player yet, and they are not willing to wait.

You talk sense. I also think that apart from age alone, Benzema is more adaptable and should he need to would be equally adapt at playing on either the left or right hand side of a 4-5-1 system. With Villa we would be stuck playing 4-4-2 or be forced to move Rooney to the left wing when we wanted to play 4-5-1 (which i don't think anyone wants to see again)

I would say Villa is more versatile than Benzema personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.