Karim Benzema

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible we wouldn't be, but it's possible we would too. Berbatov leads the line well for Bulgaria so he could do it here too, it just means our midfield would need to support him more than they do Rooney and when playing 2 up top it simply means he'd be partnered by Owen or Diouf.

As i said before, strikers aren't a priority for me. It's midfield. If they contributed more to our goal scoring then the burden wouldn't be on Wayne's shoulders.

If you seriously think we'd struggle that much with the loss of Rooney then, imo, it indicates you think we have a lack of quality in all areas. Not just up front.

There are players who tend to play differently at club/national level. Take Cole or Barnes for example who where fantastic with their own club and average with the national team. Now Berba had never shown that he is capable to lead the line with us. SAF doesn't have faith in him in that role either because he had always played him deep. Which kind of leaves us in a situation that we have to choose

a) a player who had never lead the line with us (and SAF had never had faith in him to cover that role in the first place)
b) Owen (who will probably leave next summer)
c) Diouf

Honestly If we had to end up into that situation then I prefer if SAF gets Ole out of retirement.

No top teams plays only two central midfielders against other top teams. They all focus so much on that department that going up against them in a 442 will be a suicide mission more often than not unless we go out and sign Essien and Xavi.
That is why I find people insisting that we need another striker baffling. If anything it s our midfield that needs strengthening. So that we can play 4-2-3-1 in big games like we did the first year Tevez was here.

The team has the numbers needed to do well against anyone. ....
Yes. The same way Rooney stepped up an stated scoring the goals Ronaldo did when he was here. The other forwards would step up.

A goalkeeper, a striker and a winger is a must, even though it would also mean selling/loaning players to make space for new ones.
We don't need another striker. That would just be a waste of money. What we really need is a stronger midfield, especially flanks, so that we can utilise our other strikers more.

There are players who tend to play differently at club/national level. Take Cole or Barnes for example who where fantastic with their own club and average with the national team. Now Berba had never shown that he is capable to lead the line with us. SAF doesn't have faith in him in that role either because he had always played him deep. Which kind of leaves us in a situation that we have to choose

a) a player who had never lead the line with us (and SAF had never had faith in him to cover that role in the first place)
c) Diouf

Honestly If we had to end up into that situation then I prefer if SAF gets Ole out of retirement.
:lol: ridiculous:lol:

c) Diouf

You don't know Fergie doesn't like him in that role. The reason he's never really been used there is because of Ronaldo and Rooney.

Yes. The same way Rooney stepped up an stated scoring the goals Ronaldo did when he was here. The other forwards would step up.

We don't need another striker. That would just be a waste of money. What we really need is a stronger midfield, especially flanks, so that we can utilise our other strikers more.

Don't compare Rooney with Diouf, Berba and Owen. The difference is so great that it's almost embarrasing.

You don't know Fergie doesn't like him in that role. The reason he's never really been used there is because of Ronaldo and Rooney.

Rooney/Ronaldo didn't played in every game.

We don't need another striker, yes we're reliant upon Rooney but how many teams have 2 world class strikers? We have Berbatov, Owen, Diouf, Macheda, Welbeck, King - that's plenty of cover. If someone like Benzema was available at a knock down price then maybe, but only if it's a bargain.

We do need some midfield creativity because we're heavily reliant upon Giggs, Scholes (neither of whom will be around for much longer) and Carrick (who has been well below par this season and plays from deep anyway). Someone like Hamsik or Gourcoff would be a far better use of our transfer budget than chasing Villa, Benzema et al.

We don't need another striker, yes we're reliant upon Rooney but how many teams have 2 world class strikers? We have Berbatov, Owen, Diouf, Macheda, Welbeck, King - that's plenty of cover. If someone like Benzema was available at a knock down price then maybe, but only if it's a bargain.

We do need some midfield creativity because we're heavily reliant upon Giggs, Scholes (neither of whom will be around for much longer) and Carrick (who has been well below par this season and plays from deep anyway). Someone like Hamsik or Gourcoff would be a far better use of our transfer budget than chasing Villa, Benzema et al.

I think that a left winger takes priority. On the other hand a striker is needed. I mean lets face it, whom out of those strikers would play with a top European side? Berba is decent as a link man but his finishing is far from lethal (Rooney creates spaces for him) while the other ones would be lucky to play week in week out with a middle EPL side. Strengthening central midfield is also important. There again considering that we already have Giggs, Scholes, Anderson, Gibson, Hargreaves (in 3 weeks time he should be up and running) Carrick and Fletch then we can live with the current midfield at least for next season.

In my opinion we are overstocked with players. I mean is it realistic to think that we can develop 3 potentially good strikers (Macheda, Diouf and Welbeck) who are (more or less) at the same age while keeping Owen and Berba happy in the same time? If the answer is yes is anyone of them capable to replace Rooney as the heart and soul of the team, not in 2 - 5 years time but NOW.

You can find the same problem in all other positions. Take the goalkeeper's role as an example. We say that we need a new keeper but we forget that we have already 3 internationals in that role (VDS, Foster and Pig). In the left flank we have 3 internationals (Giggs, Park and Nani) backed by 3 promising players (Obertan, Welbeck and Cleverly). In central midfield we have 2 experienced players (Giggs and Scholes), 3 internationals (Carrick, Fletch and Hargreaves) and 2 promising midfielders (Anderson and Gibson).
The team is already full up. Now either we sell/loan to give a decent chance to new players/youngsters or else we stay the way we are.

The truth is that we need a bit of a clear out. Is it worth to keep a midfielder who is always injured? Can we really develop 3 potentially good strikers (Macheda, Diouf and Welbeck) who are (more or less) at the same age while keeping Owen and Berba happy in the same time? And if the answer is yes, can anyone of them replace Rooney if he picks a long term injury?

I feel only one of Diouf, Wellbeck and Macheda will make it at OT. With one up front most games and 2 strikers ahead of the youth strikers, I don't see chances coming anytime soon. And that "Wellbeck and Macheda combining to make a 4th striker" thing is bullshit. By the logic in that, both players will feed in half the scraps of being 4th in line. What kind of progress can a player make with so little appearances. Wellbeck will have to go, permanently or temporary, and Macheda should go on loan.

Rooney/Ronaldo didn't played in every game.

I'm talking about the games where we played just 1 up top. I can think of only 1 time that role wasn't filled by either Rooney or Ronaldo and that was Inter away, a game which by all accounts wasn't Berbatov's best but it was only 1 game.

Ok then, Owen, Berba and Diouf are almost, equal or even better then Rooney. Happy now?

No-one is saying that. Rooney is special, none of the others compare. But that doesn't mean we need to sign another striker. Why spend 20-30mil on yet another striker that will sit on the bench in big games when the money will be better spent on a midfielder.

Fergie should try to poach Fabregas :)

I mean lets face it, whom out of those strikers would play with a top European side?

Once again, how many teams have two world class strikers? We have Rooney, who would get into any almost any team in the world, and Berbatov who (contrary to your belief) would get into a lot of good European sides. Where does a Villa, Benzema fit into that picture?

I agree we need a LW, we also need a creative attacking midfielder - if we can sign one player who covers both needs excellent. But a striker should be low on our list of priorities - arguably behind a keeper and CB to be honest.

I feel only one of Diouf, Wellbeck and Macheda will make it at OT. With one up front most games and 2 strikers ahead of the youth strikers, I don't see chances coming anytime soon. And that "Wellbeck and Macheda combining to make a 4th striker" thing is bullshit. By the logic in that, both players will feed in half the scraps of being 4th in line. What kind of progress can a player make with so little appearances. Wellbeck will have to go, permanently or temporary, and Macheda should go on loan.

That's my point exactly. We keep on hording promising talents when its evident that

a) they are not the quick fix solution that we need (lets face it Giggs/Scholes/VDS are getting ancient)

b) We simply dont have enough playing time to develop them adequately

We had reached a saturation point where we can't even find enough playing time to keep experienced players like Owen happy! Not to forget that we were able to spend 7m on a winger who was loaned after barely playing 5 games with us.

Once again, how many teams have two world class strikers? We have Rooney, who would get into any almost any team in the world, and Berbatov who (contrary to your belief) would get into a lot of good European sides. Where does a Villa, Benzema fit into that picture?

I agree we need a LW, we also need a creative attacking midfielder - if we can sign one player who covers both needs excellent. But a striker should be low on our list of priorities - arguably behind a keeper and CB to be honest.

Its not about having two world class strikers its all about having players capable of doing the job. All treble winner strikers were inferior to Rooney. Yet if Coley got injured we knew that Yorke/Ole could easily step in and do the job and bang the goals needed. I can't see Berba/Owen/Diouf do the same. Berba is more a Teddy (good in dropping deep but I can't see him leading OUR line) while Owen/Diouf/Welbeck/Macheda are light years behind Ole/Yorke.

Spot on. I should add it should really be the elast of our priorities! I mean, we faield to keep Berbatov, Tevez and Rooney happy. Now people think we should add another top class forward to Rooney, Owen, Berbatov and our 3 good youngsters...

Don't compare Rooney with Diouf, Berba and Owen. The difference is so great that it's almost embarrassing.
Quit embarrassing yourself. I don't need to compare Berbatov, Owen, Diouf, Macheda and Welbeck to Rooney to know they can step up if Rooney was ever injured for a while. For what you are saying a lay man think we had less than relegation fodder forwards playing for us save for Rooney. Get a grip.

Rooney currently is our Mr. goals because he starts every game. Both against small competition and as the lone man against big game competition, being our best player. If we had a midfield that could regularly carry 2 forwards save for against the truly toughest opponents, the other strikers would have much more goals to their names. A look at the goals they've scored with limited playing time in comparison to Rooney is proof of that. Our other forwards are simply no where near as poor as you claim or think!

You're just saying the same dumb shit people said when we lost Ronaldo and Ruud before that. The infamous ''Where will the goals come from?''.

Quit embarssing yourself. I dont need to comapre Berbtov, Owen, Diouf, Macheda and Welbeck to know they can step up if Rooney was ever injured fora while. For what you are saying a lay man think we had relegation fodder forwards playing fro us save for Rooney. Get a grip.

Rooney currently is our Mr. goals because he starts every game. Both against small competition and as the lone man against big game competition, being our best player. If we had a midfield that could regularly carry 2 forwards save for against the truly toughest opponents, the other strikers would have much more goals to their names. A look at the goals they've scored with limited playing time in comparison to Rooney is proof of that. Our other forwards are simply no where near as poor as you claim or think!

You're just saying the same dumb shit people said when we lost Ronaldo and Ruud before that. The infamous ''Where will the goals come from?''.

Well Berba had struggled since signing for Spurs. Ok he had improved this season but he relish in playing behind the main striker. In fact SAF had rarely utilized him as the lead the line striker. Owen had scored a couple of goals with weak opposition. Unfortunately he tends to vanish against any solid defense. No wonder why SAF rarely utilize him. The rest had shown some promise but for the time being they are all lower EPL side level (and I am being generous). So yes, there is a big gap between Rooney and the rest. There is also a big gap between our finishers (Owen/Macheda/Diouf/Welbeck) and the treble finishers (Ole/Cole), so if Rooney picks a long term injury then we have all the reasons to be worried.

Currently Rooney is Mr Goals because he is a fantastic player and the team is built around him. We could replace Ruud because we had an equally good player in the side (Ronaldo). Ruud left, Ronaldo slotted in and we kept on winning. Same thing about Ronaldo. Ronaldo left, Rooney slotted in, ie a world class player is replaced with another world class player. Now the million dollar question is this. Do we have an equally good player to replace Rooney? I much doubt it.

BTW our so much criticized midfield was central in us winning what we won in the past few years. Ok certain elements had gone old (Giggs and Scholes) but they are still valid, not to forget that the young talent had improved (Fletch and Gibson). Mind you I do believe that we need a central midfielder. Stating that the big changes had happened upfront and they should be given priority. We lost Ronaldo and we had lost Tevez, making us totally dependent on Rooney. If Rooney gets injured on long term none of the reserves have half his talent to replace him adequately.

Well Berba had struggled since signing for Spurs.
He really hasn't. The only thing he has done is disappoint those who had over lofty expectations of him based mainly on his price tag. Just go and check up the number of goals and assists he has made since signing for us in the EPL. No struggling forward would have a similar record. The only thing he can be accused of is being underwhelming compared to his Spurs days in his performances.

Ok he had improved this season but he relish in playing behind the main striker.
He doesn't. We just happen to us him that way. His best role has always been the one similar to what Totti had under Spalletti at Roma. It's what he plays for Bulgaria and it is what he played St Spurs.

In fact SAF had rarely utilized him as the lead the line striker.
So what? That means nothing frankly! For example, SAF has hardly used Rooney as a second striker for years now. It doesn't mean the lad can't play in the role.

Owen had scored a couple of goals with weak opposition.
Man City isn't weak opposition. Yet he scored against them in a Derby.

Unfortunately he tends to vanish against any solid defense.
Bullshit. I remember him coming on at Anfield and giving Liverpool hell and being denied a great opportunity to score a goal by Carragher, who really should have been sent off.

Also vs Man City he has given them a head ache whenever his faced them this year.

Your claim is pretty much baseless.

The rest had shown some promise but for the time being they are all lower EPL side level (and I am being generous).
No. You're just being plain silly. They wouldn't be in our first team squad if they were lower than EPL level. & all 3 of them have scored in this very league already when given a chance.

So yes, there is a big gap between Rooney and the rest.
The gap is there. There is no shame in that for our other forwards. But it's no where near as big as you claim. That's for sure.

....if Rooney picks a long term injury then we have all the reasons to be worried.
We really don't. Our other strikers don't get many games mainly because Rooney plays all the time. Not because they lack the quality to perform.

Currently Rooney is Mr Goals because he is a fantastic player and the team is built around him.
He is Mr goal because he plays all the time, upfront. He wasn't Mr. Goals last season because he didn't play upfront all the time. After all, He was still a fantastic player last season and didn't score as much.

We could replace Ruud because we had an equally good player in the side (Ronaldo).
BS really. Pure selective memory that.

When Ruud left Ronaldo was yet to show his true qualities. Thus many on here were claiming we'd struggle for goals and players like Saha couldn't measure up to Ruud. Yet he and Ronaldo stepped up to the plate and proved them wrong.

Heck even at the start for this season people claimed we'd struggle for goal without Ronaldo and Tevez. Yet the whole team and especially Rooney have stepped up and were are have been consistently more potent infront of goal in the league than we were last season with those 2 around.

We are Manchester United. Some one always steps up.

Do we have an equally good player to replace Rooney? I much doubt it.
You never replace such players. All you ever do is replace what they contribute in parts. The way we got Valencia to do Ronaldo's wing duties, while Rooney took over his goal getting.

I have no doubts if played regularly Berbatov, Owen and company would score goals regularly in the absence of Rooney. Without a shadow of a doubt

BTW our so much criticized midfield was central in us winning what we won in the past few years.
So? That same midfield is currently why we can't play 2 strikers in big games, couldn't live without Fletcher's absence in a champions league final last year & that same midfield now lacks quality in depth on the flanks with Ronaldo gone since we have only one natural left winger/ player naturally comfortable on the left wing in the squad.

The same midfield that still heavily relies on a 36 year old Giggs and 35 year old Scholes.

...have half his talent to replace him adequately. No wonder why SAF was so interested in spending decent money on Benzema (last year).
SAF did so only because he thought he had the midfield that could consistently support 2 forwards. His been proven wrong since then. I'll be very shocked if he strengthened his forward line before sorting out his midfield next summer.

His priority has to be to wrench our midfield from it's over dependency on Giggs and Scholes for flank and creative duties. Now that the triumvirate of Tevez, Ronaldo and Tevez is long gone. The 3 player that had started to make Giggs and Scholes squad players because they didn't need them to function. For without that we wont be able to ever properly utilise the strikers at our disposal. Even if we signed another forward of Villa or Benzema's ilk.

He really hasn't. The only thing he has done is disappoint those who had over lofty expectations of him based mainly on his price tag. Just go and check up the number of goals and assists he has made since signing for us int eh EPL. No struggling forward would have a similar record.

He doesn't. We just happen to us him that way. His best role has always been the one similar to what Totti had under Spalletti at Roma. It's what he plays for Bulgaria and it is what he played St Spurs.

So what? That means nothing frankly!. For example, SAF has hardly used Rooney as a second striker for years now. It doesn't mean the lad can't play in the role.

Bullshit. I remember him coming on at Anfield and giving Liverpool hell a and being denied a great opportunity to score a goal by Carragher, who really should have been sent off.

Also vs Man City he has give them a head ache whenever his faced them this year.

No. You're just being plain silly. They wouldn't be in our first team squad if they were lower than EPL level. & all 3 of them have scored in this very league already when given a chance.

The gap is there. But it's no where near as big as you claim. That's for sure.

We really don't. Our other strikers don't get many games mainly because Rooney plays all the time. Not because they lack the quality to perform.

He is Mr goal because he plays all the time, upfront. He wasn't Mr. Goals last season because he didn't play upfront all the time. After all, He was still a fantatsic player last season and didn't score as much.

When Ruud left Ronaldo was yet to show his true qualities. Thus many on here were claiming we'd struggle for goals and players like Saha couldn't measure up to Ruud. Yet he and Ronaldo stepped up to the plate and proved them wrong.

Heck even at the start for this season people claimed we'd struggle for goal without Ronaldo and Tevez. Yet the whoel team and espcially Rooney have stepped up and were are have been consistently more potent infront of goal in the league than we were last season with those 2 around.

You never replace such players. All you ever do is replace what they contribute in parts. The way we got Valencia to do Ronaldo's wing duties, while Rooney took over his goal getting.

I have no doubts if played regularly Berbatov, Owen and company would score goals regularly in the absence of Rooney. Without a shadow of a doubt

So? That same midfield is currently why we can't play 2 strikers in big games, couldn't live without Fletcher's absence in a champions league final last year & that same midfield now lacks quality in depth on the flanks with Ronaldo gone since we have only one natural left winger/ player naturally comfortable on the left wing in the squad.

The same midfield that still heavily relies on a 36 year old Giggs and 35 year old Scholes.

SAF did so only because he thought he had the midfield that could consistently support 2 forwards. His been proven wrong since then. I'll be very shocked if he strengthened his forward line before sorting out his midfield next summer.

His priority has to be to wrench our midfield from it's over dependency on Giggs and Scholes for flank and creative duties. Now that the triumvirate of Tevez, Ronaldo and Tevez is long gone. For without that we wont be able to ever properly utilise the strikers at our disposal. Even if we signed another forward of Villa or Benzema's ilk.

All very good answers. But I think we are just going in circles with some people. How come people don't recognize and fail to see the actual problem areas is strange.
We need a true left winger and a midfielder. Simple
And yes, I do believe the current strikers on the bench will do just fine if /knocking on wood/ Rooney gets injured

All very good answers. But I think we are just going in circles with some people. How come people don't recognize and fail to see the actual problem areas is strange.
We need a true left winger and a midfielder. Simple
And yes, I do believe the current strikers on the bench will do just fine if /knocking on wood/ Rooney gets injured
I agree. Some people on here want us to be the next Real Madrid and assemble the best attacking talent out there, without regard to solving the real issues in our side. that' why of late we keep reading ''We need another top forward to partner Rooney'' and 'Villa and Rooney could be the best striker partnership ever'' as if such players would thrive with the midfield and wingers we currently have, with Giggs and Scholes a year older too.

He really hasn't. The only thing he has done is disappoint those who had over lofty expectations of him based mainly on his price tag. Just go and check up the number of goals and assists he has made since signing for us in the EPL. No struggling forward would have a similar record. The only thing he can be accused of is being underwhelming compared to his Spurs days in his performances.

So what? That means nothing frankly! For example, SAF has hardly used Rooney as a second striker for years now. It doesn't mean the lad can't play in the role.

Bullshit. I remember him coming on at Anfield and giving Liverpool hell and being denied a great opportunity to score a goal by Carragher, who really should have been sent off.

Also vs Man City he has given them a head ache whenever his faced them this year.

The gap is there. There is no shame in that for our other forwards. But it's no where near as big as you claim. That's for sure.

He is Mr goal because he plays all the time, upfront. He wasn't Mr. Goals last season because he didn't play upfront all the time. After all, He was still a fantastic player last season and didn't score as much.

Heck even at the start for this season people claimed we'd struggle for goal without Ronaldo and Tevez. Yet the whole team and especially Rooney have stepped up and were are have been consistently more potent infront of goal in the league than we were last season with those 2 around.

His priority has to be to wrench our midfield from it's over dependency on Giggs and Scholes for flank and creative duties. Now that the triumvirate of Tevez, Ronaldo and Tevez is long gone. The 3 player that had started to make Giggs and Scholes squad players because they didn't need them to function. For without that we wont be able to ever properly utilise the strikers at our disposal. Even if we signed another forward of Villa or Benzema's ilk.

If SAF was happy with Berba then he wouldn't have attempted to sign a quality striker like Benzema. Anyway, I don't think that we actually need a striker like Benzema/Villa. What we need is someone whom we can rely on, whenever Rooney gets injured/needs rest. Someone in Saha's mould who has the neccessary finishing skills, movement, workrate and pace to adapt to Rooney's play while still be able to lead the line if needed. We really don't have that type of striker at the moment. No wonder why we can't allow to give some rest to our star player.

PS when Ruud left Ronaldo's, Rooney's and Saha's quality where already there to be seen. In fact some even suggested that Ruud had become a dead weight to the team due to his lack of movement. Anyway I still believe that the biggest problem during that time was not the forward line but central midfield. I love Keane but he overstayed with us for at least 2 years.

If SAF was happy with Berba then he wouldn't have attempted to sign a quality striker like Benzema. .
Bullshit. Fergie just wanted another striker to cover for fact we were losing both Ronaldo and Tevez. Proven by the fact he plumped for Owen when the Benzema deal was a no go. It had nothing to do with any unhappiness with Berbatov.

Anyway, I don't think that we actually need a striker like Benzema/Villa. What we need is someone whom we can rely on, whenever Rooney gets injured/needs rest. Someone in Saha's mould who has the necessary finishing skills, movement, workrate and pace to adapt to Rooney's play while still be able to lead the line if needed. We really don't have that type of striker at the moment. No wonder why we can't allow to give some rest to our star player.
Firstly, we have no need to rest out best player in his best from. We hardly ever rested Ronaldo in his 42 goal seaons.

Secondly, both Diouf and Macheda are capable of playing a Saha role for us. We really have no need to add another forward at all. Especialy at the expense of strengthening the areas of the team that really need it most.

PS when Ruud left Ronaldo's, Rooney's and Saha's quality where already there to be seen. In fact some even suggested that Ruud had become a dead weight to the team due to his lack of movement.
Then why were they all coming up with the ''where will the goals come from?'' question?

That statement only cropped up AFTER Ronaldo and Saha had stepped up to the plate. When Ruud had just left no one dared call him a dead weight to the team.

Anyway I still believe that the biggest problem during that time was not the forward line but central midfield. I love Keane but he overstayed with us for at least 2 years.
Well our biggest problem now is a midfield over reliant on a 36 year old winger and a 35 year old play maker. Rooney's form is just hiding that fact, the same way Ronaldo's presence hid the fact we'd never ever properly replaced Giggs and were weak on the flanks and the same way having Ronaldo and Tevez with Rooney hid the fact we were some way off properly replacing Scholes as a midfield playmaker and Giggs as a winger.

No one is ready to spend 20m - 30m for a cover. We wanted a quality striker to seriously partner/compete with Rooney/Berba upfront. We failed in that and had to settle for Owen who was on free and heading to mighty Hull. Owen was a quick fix, a statement issued by the club to all those clubs who tried to force our hand to overspend. At the end of the day it was an experiment that failed (at least till the time of writing), since Owen had never really forced his way in the side and was relegated to the bench for much of the time. I won't be surprised if Owen leaves the club next season. BTW Diouf and Macheda are light years behind Saha. Its like saying that Heskey = Rooney since he is hardworking and a tough nut.

I've stated before that left wing should be given first priority on the other hand I can't see why we should give the same priority to central midfield. I mean we already have Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson and Gibson in the side + Giggs and Scholes has another year left in them. Not to forget about players like Petrucci and Pogba whom while being young can add strength in depth.

PS Ruud passed his last year fighting for his place with Saha (whom I have to confess had a better year then he had). So yes doubts where already raised before he left us. I still think that the dead weight argument was a bit BS. Ruud was never brought for his movement but for his ability to score something that he did very well. Anyway whether we are talking about gk, left wing, central midfield or forward line we will have to sell/loan before we buy because there are too many staff in those roles already.

I hope we atleast get Dzeko. I mean Rooney just can keep doing this day in and day out. I fear he might burn out sometime down the road. We just need somebody who can play upfront alone. It does not have to Benz or Villa. I wouldnt mind even Adriano. I know he kinda disrupts the harmony of the team but he does his job efficiently. He is really strong and pacy and has a killer left foot.

As we'll be keeping Owen and Berbatov next season we need to concentrate our inner muppet on more important areas. Left wing and a creative midfielder.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but is Benzema good in the air? He doesn't seem to have been impressive at all for Real, but I've only seen him a handful of times. The impression I have is that we have better options than him even if we had the CM and LW sorted.

After all, he turned us down for Real. Why should we get their rejects or play players whose heart is not in it?

I still think Diouf is going to become one hell of a player. Now that we're keeping Owen next year he'll be good back up for Dioufs development.

As we'll be keeping Owen and Berbatov next season we need to concentrate our inner muppet on more important areas. Left wing and a creative midfielder.

100%

Scholes and Giggs could hang up their boots this summer for all we know (more likely Scholes). And we still have not replaced them.

If Fergie has any faith in the likes of Diouf, Welbeck, Macheda and Josh King, then it seems unlikely we will be buying a big name striker, when central midfield, left wing (and maybe central defence) will have big holes to fill.

There's also Macheda and welbeck.

The striker position is not the one that requires immediate attention imo. As gambit said, a creative goal scoring midfielder and a left winger are more urgent requirements.

Ben Arfa has beena different player since Christmas and has been called up to the French team so would be a much cheaper option to Di Maria for the left wing! Joe Cole would be nice maybe as a playmaker as he played that role for Chelsea yesterday. That would be 2 top players for a very affordable price! Hopefully Diouf too can start pushing for a first team spot next season!

Owen was a quick fix, a statement issued by the club to all those clubs who tried to force our hand to overspend. At the end of the day it was an experiment that failed (at least till the time of writing),

Failed?

It was clear from the start we were only going to use him as a clear third choice.

Failed?

It was clear from the start we were only going to use him as a clear third choice.

Agreed.

Owen is a player who needs to be playing regularly to see the best of him. He relies on his speed and sharpness which is not going to come from sporadic appearances. From when he has played, he has done ok and has scored a few goals. His goal against City alone was worth signing him! For what we use him for, Michael Owen has certainly not failed.

I'd love to see Benzema at United. I think he'd be a good foil for Rooney and I think that they would form a good partnership together.

Status
Not open for further replies.