Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

Tbf, Martinez has been sort of found out this season. Hope to be proven wrong though.
How? He’s amazing. Not totally up to speed yet but you could see against Southampton he’s getting there with match fitness and rhythm. One of our best and most important players.

Hard to say. Jurrien developed far quicker and has a higher level for now. Quinten was send away from the Ajax academy as he was deemed not good enough for midfield and Ajax wanted to turn him into a right back which he passed on. Ajax obviously regrets that now with their shite midfield as Quinten is now probably one of the best midfielders/ players in the Dutch league. He's an 8 who's physically very strong with a good dribble and big lungs. He especially developed that last part in the last 2 years under Slot. If he starts converting more chances and becomes a bit more intelligent in when to dribble and when to keep it simple he can be a special player. Always hard to say if he can replicate it in the Premier League though.

The second half against Germany is actually quite a good showcase of him. He uses his strength well in the build up to the 2-2, has a few good dribbles, but also loses the ball in a suspect place twice, because he tries to do too much.
Thanks, sounds like a player on the way up!

Huh, only just realized he has a twin. Should've signed them both, and recreated the Neville bros.

I saw timber last year in Wembley for the community shield before the long injury. He looked quality then and was one of the standout players to me. This year I hope he hits the ground running, seems to have all you want in a full back/versatile player.

Wasn't it injuries with Fabio? I remember him being the more talented on the ball IIRC.
He was higher rated when we signed them as kids, and was supposed to be the next Lahm. Not sure how badly his injuries affected him, but I always had the impression he was one of those who struggled making the step up to senior football.

He was higher rated when we signed them as kids, and was supposed to be the next Lahm. Not sure how badly his injuries affected him, but I always had the impression he was one of those who struggled making the step up to senior football.
Trying to make it as a right-footed LB is also significantly harder. His twin brother got the better of him.

If English people think this is a red, it's truly time to bury the "they wouldn't even blow the whistle for that in England" adage Dutch pundits like to use. Surely that's just a plain yellow?
That adage, also used in France, is a bit of nonsense that has little basing in reality. There is more intensity in the PL sure, and usually there might be more leniency in duels/50-50s, but potentially dangerous tackles are red-carded just as much as in other leagues now. I'm fine with that tackle being a yellow by the way, but I'm just saying that it's one that is frequently given as a red now.

If English people think this is a red, it's truly time to bury the "they wouldn't even blow the whistle for that in England" adage Dutch pundits like to use. Surely that's just a plain yellow?
The problem is we had seen reds for it in the PL. Casemiro, Pogba vs Arsenal, Curtis Jones. I personally don’t think its a red but I didn't think those were either

Excellent player can see Ten Hag wanted him

That adage, also used in France, is a bit of nonsense that has little basing in reality. There is more intensity in the PL sure, and usually there might be more leniency in duels/50-50s, but potentially dangerous tackles are red-carded just as much as in other leagues now. I'm fine with that tackle being a yellow by the way, but I'm just saying that it's one that is frequently given as a red now.

The problem is we had seen reds for it in the PL. Casemiro, Pogba vs Arsenal, Curtis Jones. I personally don’t think its a red but I didn't think those were either
Ah fair enough, haven't seen those.

It's a fine line but when Jones is reaching for the ball he is further in like a tackle. I don't think that was a red either. But in Timber's case he is over the ball, in my opinion he has already control of it because he is in there faster than Porro....who I can certainly add made quite the meal of it. That was the longest amount of rolling I have seen in 2024. The end difference is the studs are not up in any way. They are all down and there is very little force that is coming down on that foot. I have no idea how this could have hurt Porro. The incident was a joke to be honest. It is not even a yellow.

It's a fine line but when Jones is reaching for the ball he is further in like a tackle. I don't think that was a red either. But in Timber's case he is over the ball, in my opinion he has already control of it because he is in there faster than Porro....who I can certainly add made quite the meal of it. That was the longest amount of rolling I have seen in 2024. The end difference is the studs are not up in any way. They are all down and there is very little force that is coming down on that foot. I have no idea how this could have hurt Porro. The incident was a joke to be honest. It is not even a yellow.

Studs have nothing to do with anything other than making it more likely you injured someone due to the increased contact pressure for a given force. I've copied the rules below:

"Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
charges
jumps at
kicks or attempts to kick
pushes
strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
tackles or challenges
trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.
Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off
"

Based on that definition I'm not even sure Timber's challenge warrants anything more than a free kick, but a yellow is a perfectly reasonable outcome. A red would have been silly as there is no excessive force even with studs showing.

It's why I would have been annoyed if I were Southampton too, their red card challenge against us wasn't particularly forceful or dangerous for my money. Should have been a yellow and a stern word.

I have never seen so many obsessed with Casemiro and his bookings, said obsession going back years now, you'd think he's the only victim.

Every club gets mugged at some point, Wolves were robbed all year last year. This year alone vs Wolves their player choked one of ours and got nothing, that too after a VAR check. Last year Joelinton should have got a red atleast 2 times against us and got nothing. Scholes and Gerrard spent their entire careers with horrible tackling and got away with it. Chelsea, City and now Newcastle get away with disgraceful tackles every big game.

Its the way things are. Every single incident atleast has 'Casemiro' mentioned, as if it stopped United winning the title. It can even be a random Burnley vs Forest game and you'd get a challenge and up someone will pop 'but Casemiro'. I am mentioning because its a top forum where majority are very level headed despite the football tribalism and which is rare for football fan forums.

The simple truth is that the refereering is utterly shoddy. In one game you can have one sending off and then 2 hours later in another game you won't even get a booking. In one game someone can get a pen due to a handball and 1 hour later in another game, heck in the same game, you'd get nothing. Its the state of the referees unfortunately.

Studs have nothing to do with anything other than making it more likely you injured someone due to the increased contact pressure for a given force. I've copied the rules below:

"Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
charges
jumps at
kicks or attempts to kick
pushes
strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
tackles or challenges
trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.
Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off
"

Based on that definition I'm not even sure Timber's challenge warrants anything more than a free kick, but a yellow is a perfectly reasonable outcome. A red would have been silly as there is no excessive force even with studs showing.

It's why I would have been annoyed if I were Southampton too, their red card challenge against us wasn't particularly forceful or dangerous for my money. Should have been a yellow and a stern word.
Studs up challenges are generally not viewed very well Beyond the force and type of impact, it implies a loss of control and the refs (and us) tend to view a studs up challenge differently for that. The refs are interpreting things on the pitch and it would contribute to an action being viewed as reckless or excessive.

Studs up challenges are generally not viewed very well Beyond the force and type of impact, it implies a loss of control and the refs (and us) tend to view a studs up challenge differently for that. The refs are interpreting things on the pitch and it would contribute to an action being viewed as reckless or excessive.

It would be fine to interpret studs showing as being reckless unless there were almost no force whatsoever (and I didn't think there was tbh but there you go), but what you can't interpret studs showing as in isolation is excessive force, so it shouldn't be a red unless the force would endanger the safety of the opponent.

I have never seen so many obsessed with Casemiro and his bookings, said obsession going back years now, you'd think he's the only victim.

Every club gets mugged at some point, Wolves were robbed all year last year. This year alone vs Wolves their player choked one of ours and got nothing, that too after a VAR check. Last year Joelinton should have got a red atleast 2 times against us and got nothing. Scholes and Gerrard spent their entire careers with horrible tackling and got away with it. Chelsea, City and now Newcastle get away with disgraceful tackles every big game.

Its the way things are. Every single incident atleast has 'Casemiro' mentioned, as if it stopped United winning the title. It can even be a random Burnley vs Forest game and you'd get a challenge and up someone will pop 'but Casemiro'. I am mentioning because its a top forum where majority are very level headed despite the football tribalism and which is rare for football fan forums.

The simple truth is that the refereering is utterly shoddy. In one game you can have one sending off and then 2 hours later in another game you won't even get a booking. In one game someone can get a pen due to a handball and 1 hour later in another game, heck in the same game, you'd get nothing. Its the state of the referees unfortunately.
Obsession with Casemiro even though I mentioned 3 players and you decided to speak about that one…

The fouls were all similar to the Timber one with getting the ball then the foot boucing over it. I think your obsession with Casemiro is clouding your view. The common denominator were the challenges not the players.

Also what has every club getting mugged at some point got to do with anything in my post?

Just be happy you got away with a yellow and if you don’t like people talking about United players get the feck off a United forum

Last edited:
It's a shame that he has no perspective of playing CB at Arsenal, he's not a LB but can do a great job there. As a CB, he has the potential to be one of the best and most unique in the world. What Daley Blind had with his passing, Timber has with his dribbling, agility, runs and reaction speed. Crazy explosive, and fast.

It's a shame that he has no perspective of playing CB at Arsenal, he's not a LB but can do a great job there. As a CB, he has the potential to be one of the best and most unique in the world. What Daley Blind had with his passing, Timber has with his dribbling, agility, runs and reaction speed. Crazy explosive, and fast.
Not sure Arteta would want his CB showing off his dribbling abilities. He might take less risks when switching positions but he looks really good on either side.
I don't know what would happen if we lost Gabriel or Saliba. White at CB and Timber at RB,or Calafiori/Kiwior coming in. It feels good to have this much versatility and options in defense.