Jurriën Timber | Arsenal player

A few decent appearances as an inverted fullback in Arsenal's super safe 4xCB 2xDM system and he's better than Martinez?

Hate Arsenal with a passion but feck me, what an absolute tank of a player. Did we sign the wrong player in Lisandro?

We wanted both, and so did Arteta. Difference is, Arteta would have played both at full back, whilst ten Hag would have used them at centre back as he did at Ajax.

He was very lucky not to see a red. Solid performance but nothing that made me feel like we missed out on him.

A few decent appearances as an inverted fullback in Arsenal's super safe 4xCB 2xDM system and he's better than Martinez?
Tbf, Martinez has been sort of found out this season. Hope to be proven wrong though.

Looked a good player today. Has a bit of nastiness in him too. The challenge on Porro (he was lucky his studs didn't land on Porro's shin or he was gone) plus not taking any shit from Vicario either.

If his aggression is channeled correctly, he'll definitely be a big improvement to the Arsenal team.

A few iffy moments here and there and overconfident at times but overall pretty solid. Very good option to have on our dreaded LB spot. I hope Arteta will rotate him often enough with Calafiori so he can manage his return from injury. A whole year out is no joke.

Little doubt he would have started last year, and we might have done a bit better with him. Especially in games like vs Bayern where Kiwior looked pretty poor. We are fine defensively now...Need one more investment in midfield and one Haaland clone upfront to win the title. Really, the latter would do.

Hate Arsenal with a passion but feck me, what an absolute tank of a player. Did we sign the wrong player in Lisandro?

Tbf, Martinez has been sort of found out this season. Hope to be proven wrong though.

State of this. You'd expect the level of conversation about football - on a football enthusiast forum - to be slightly more nuanced, but man.

It's like two players can't both be good at the same time, or that any one player can't have a run of two or three games lower than their usual standard. There always has to be the "wrong player" or the one that has been "found out" because of said run of two or three games.

Little doubt he would have started last year, and we might have done a bit better with him. Especially in games like vs Bayern where Kiwior looked pretty poor. We are fine defensively now...Need one more investment in midfield and one Haaland clone upfront to win the title. Really, the latter would do.
You can have his cousin Hojland for 80m

State of this. You'd expect the level of conversation about football - on a football enthusiast forum - to be slightly more nuanced, but man.

It's like two players can't both be good at the same time, or that any one player can't have a run of two or three games lower than their usual standard. There always has to be the "wrong player" or the one that has been "found out" because of said run of two or three games.
Yep. It happens in various other threads where players are shat on, to big up another

We should have gotten both, but Lisandro would look similar at The Arse too, they're a better team than us.

He was very lucky not to see a red. Solid performance but nothing that made me feel like we missed out on him.
Some of you really need to play the sport...

Not even a yellow in any league other than the PL. Porro was barely touched and went down like he was sniped in the foot.

Great performance, my second MoM after Gabriel. Showed exactly what he's made of and can hopefully keep building on this. This backline could take anyone on if he clicks like this.

The one that got away?

First time I saw him properly and he looks like a gem of a player. Excellent on the ball and very good defensively.

He was better than Martinez, that's why we went for him first.
No he wasn't. Martinez was Ajax best player when he left, and player of the season.

Timber is younger and more versatile. He can play any position apart from striker and keeper I think, and excel.

Not to worry guys. You can buy his twin brother next summer for 50 million. He looks exactly the same, but plays in midfield.

Some of you really need to play the sport...

Not even a yellow in any league other than the PL. Porro was barely touched and went down like he was sniped in the foot.

TBF he was lucky not to see red, despite the yellow itself being soft.

He was at least as culpable as Vicario in that 'brawl' and had he not have already been booked for the challenge he would have gone into the book for his involvement there. Silly thing to do and another day and another ref and he would have walked then.

He was good but was quite lucky to stay on the field - it was a similar challenge to others where reds have been dished out, rolling over the ball and catching the oppo player. Porro was quite lucky it wasn't worse. He also could have had another yellow later in the game, during the handbags.

No idea why the post on Licha came up when he was also excellent on Saturday and is all around a great player.

He was good but was quite lucky to stay on the field - it was a similar challenge to others where reds have been dished out, rolling over the ball and catching the oppo player. Porro was quite lucky it wasn't worse. He also could have had another yellow later in the game, during the handbags.

No idea why the post on Licha came up when he was also excellent on Saturday and is all around a great player.

The above notwithstanding, pivoting with this action is one of the most common things in football, I literally have no idea how Porro deciding he wanted to make it out to be a murder makes it a card, let alone a red.

As for the handbags, pretty simple. Vicario ran over, shat his pants, and Timber had to hold him up so that he wouldn't faint.

Quality player, should have forced AWB out last summer and gone for him.

The above notwithstanding, pivoting with this action is one of the most common things in football, I literally have no idea how Porro deciding he wanted to make it out to be a murder makes it a card, let alone a red.

Both players go in exactly the same. Timber gets there marginally quicker is all.

I thought Porro hit the deck as Timbers left foot trod on his toe.

Not a good moment for the referee. Porro totally conned the ref into doing anything. I wasn't even 100% sure it was a foul at the time, and watching that again, I am not sure there is one. And some of there fans were asking for a red! Vicario was doing his best E martinez impression.

Ref wasn't going to even call it at first it seemed to me.

Not a good moment for the referee. Porro totally conned the ref into doing anything. I wasn't even 100% sure it was a foul at the time, and watching that again, I am not sure there is one. And some of there fans were asking for a red! Vicario was doing his best E martinez impression.

Ref wasn't going to even call it at first it seemed to me.
Maybe rewatch it once more? Cos there's clearly a foul, his foot rolls over the ball and then scrapes Porro's leg (which is a genuinely painful contact, consider the movement), and Porro was lucky it wasn't worse. It's very similar to a red Casemiro received a couple of seasons ago (won the ball, foot rolled over the ball, contact with oppo player), and it's one that is often given as a red. I think yellow was fine for that, but there's lack of control involved in it, so Timber was lucky.

He should definitely get at least a yellow for the throat grab after the initial foul. Has to go.

Call it game management, helping Arsenal or whatever you want.

Is Quinten as good..?
@KirkDuyt
Hard to say. Jurrien developed far quicker and has a higher level for now. Quinten was send away from the Ajax academy as he was deemed not good enough for midfield and Ajax wanted to turn him into a right back which he passed on. Ajax obviously regrets that now with their shite midfield as Quinten is now probably one of the best midfielders/ players in the Dutch league. He's an 8 who's physically very strong with a good dribble and big lungs. He especially developed that last part in the last 2 years under Slot. If he starts converting more chances and becomes a bit more intelligent in when to dribble and when to keep it simple he can be a special player. Always hard to say if he can replicate it in the Premier League though.

The second half against Germany is actually quite a good showcase of him. He uses his strength well in the build up to the 2-2, has a few good dribbles, but also loses the ball in a suspect place twice, because he tries to do too much.

If English people think this is a red, it's truly time to bury the "they wouldn't even blow the whistle for that in England" adage Dutch pundits like to use. Surely that's just a plain yellow?