Jude Bellingham | Real Madrid player

Comparisons to Zlatan & Balotelli are silly. At 19 he was selected as Dortmund's 3rd captain in 2022/23 despite not being local. Jude is probably the only teenager who has captained a Champions League team outside his own country, in the Bundesliga and CL. Fabregas captained Arsenal at 21.

Between 17 to 19yo Jude was playing as a CM in the CL with responsibilities to defend, progress the ball, keep possession and his performances as a B2B midfielder were good enough to attract a 100m bid from Madrid. If he was as much of a headcase he simply wouldn't get a sniff of central midfield at 17, he's not a primadonna and one of the few in England's midfield who presses high to regain possession and is skilled at ballwinning and interceptions. Young flashy wingers and forwards like Vini, Zlatan, Balotelli would simply see all that as too much responsibility.

The main thing that's changed since his Madrid move is that he goes down a lot, probably because he's playing as a CAM with goalscoring duties and wants freekicks and pens. He's adapted so well and quickly to his new RM role (a defensive ballwinning CAM if it makes sense, it's why Madrid conceded very little) such that Madrid did a double despite losing key players to injury and not buying a striker. Hence even if his demeanor is overbearing there's a high chance he'll be a future England captain.

Reading or hearing opinions on Bellingham from people who have seen him play for at least a whole season is always interesting.
There seems to be a rather clear difference of opinion on him, regarding his footballing ability and his character, between Dortmund/Madrid fans and posters here/online fans who have watched him mostly in CL knockout games and with the NT.
Most people from the former group see him as a good teammate and a world class player mature beyond his age, while many, if not most people from the latter see him as an overrated and arrogant player.

There seems to be a rather clear difference of opinion on him, regarding his footballing ability and his character, between Dortmund/Madrid fans and posters here/online fans who have watched him mostly in CL knockout games and with the NT.

His position and style of play has changed since he moved from Dortmund to Madrid, I was curious why he was scoring a lot in the 1st half of his debut RM season and while he occupies the CAM space at the tip of a diamond 442 he plays more as a 2nd striker when they attack and as a B2B in defensive transitions. Bellingham doesn't shoulder all the creative responsibility with Kroos as the #8 and Vini's dribbling. Before his shoulder injury he played well in the CL groups especially against Napoli IIRC. With Kroos retiring it'll be interesting to see how his role changes since Madrid will need a deep-lying playmaker.

For the NT the issue is England lacks any Kroos/Modric-quality playmaker or even a centreback who can pass out of defence, thus it's very disjointed. Also England has no left side due to the lack of a leftback and LW, Foden cuts in and provides no width. England's narrow attack doesn't stretch defences hence it's hard for Kane, Foden, Bellingham to find space to score when they're all bunched up in the centre. I want to say it's a coaching issue but not bringing a functional leftback is just bad planning from the FA.

Last edited:
Reading or hearing opinions on Bellingham from people who have seen him play for at least a whole season is always interesting.
Most people from the former group see him as a good teammate and a world class player mature beyond his age, while many, if not most people from the latter see him as an overrated and arrogant player.

I wonder, those who think that Bellingham is an "overrated and arrogant player" what would they think about Cantona?

I wonder, those who think that Bellingham is an "overrated and arrogant player" what would they think about Cantona?

I don't think it's so much that he is arrogant, entitled or even immature - it's that the media are constantly telling us that he's the opposite of those things, when his actions seem to show otherwise.

Cantona was arrogant and prickly but everyone knew that and he owned it. The media weren't trying to convince us otherwise.

It's the fakeness of it all that irks.

You'd think that. He could score a hat trick in the first 10 minutes and that'll just leave 80 minutes for people to sit back and focus entirely on how arrogant he looks to them.

He doesnt do that though. Quite the opposite

This made me dislike him. Came across as "How dare you tackle me"

Fair enough he was cool about it afterwards but didn't like his reaction

Studs up tackle in a pre-season game? :rolleyes:

I'd rather point the finger at the aggressor instead of the victim...

https://x.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1809182796767707417

I don't know what I find more insufferable. The suspension or the fact that he can still play while other suspensions this tournament took direct effect.
The lack of consistency on these kinds of sanctions is insane. Turks must be pissed.
On the other hand Dibu Martinez can take a wank on the opposition player without the footballing authorities doing a damn thing.

Most of the later are just people who are sore that he didn't signed for us back then and choose Dortmund over us. Basically jilted lover syndrome.

He's a Fergie player if ever I saw one..

A world class talent with the mentality to match..

Sometimes you forget he's still 20yrs old.

He's a Fergie player if ever I saw one..

A world class talent with the mentality to match..

Sometimes you forget he's still 20yrs old.
Precisely. What a talent! Fergie would have absolutely loved collecting him, fits in nicely with Cantona, Keane, Staam sort of personality.

Love such players, sadly we barely have such kind of personalities any more at our club. The closest being Bruno.

Studs up :lol:

Behave yourself

I apologize for my behaviour. But back to the topic, isn't this a studs up tackle? Doesn't the tackler intend to contact the ball with the studs/sole of his foot? Or your definition of studs up is a different one?

Screenshot-2024-07-05-at-20-45-52.png
Screenshot-2024-07-05-at-20-49-17.png

Mainoo has not done anything in this game. I know we all wish him well but we are beginning to go a bit overboard.

Contextually, I wouldn't think anyone's making statements on players potential off of one game. With that in mind, and considering the season Bellingham has just had, I do agree with you that it seems kinda crazy to say that.

Complete nonsense. He’s an immense player. Only 21 and just had a tremendous season for the best team in the world. It’s obvious that he’s knackered and probably playing through an injury. Rightly or wrongly, there was no chance he was missing this tournament. How many times did Wayne Rooney look crap at major tournaments but there’s no doubt he was top drawer. Some people can be so reactive and blinkered in recency bias.

I get that the English can overrate their players but there’s no point going to the opposite extreme. He’s a very good player who has the potential to be one of the best English midfielders in living memory.

You have to keep him on though. If anyone will come up with a moment, it will be him.

Better to take off the likes of Foden and Kane who haven’t even looked like doing something special all tournament.

Mainoo has not done anything in this game. I know we all wish him well but we are beginning to go a bit overboard.
He's only 19 years old with literally 1 season of pro football behind him.

He's a massive talent.

Very theatrical tonight feigning injury. Quite sloppy passing at times. But some nice moments holding onto the ball to wriggle out of trouble. He’s trying too hard

Very theatrical tonight feigning injury. Quite sloppy passing at times. But some nice moments holding onto the ball to wriggle out of trouble. He’s trying too hard
Yeah, looked like he thought he’d have to do it all on his own if he was going to come away with something this evening.

Gave him the benefit of the doubt throughout the tournament because he’s clearly knackered, and he has had his moments…but his antics tonight were irritating.

He was trying way too hard to get one over his Spanish colleagues at times. Of course on the night, somehow Foden was still much worse. That should explain how bad England were.

Had a terrible game tonight, but it wasn't for lack of effort. To be honest has had a poor tournament excepting that incredible overhead kick. Still wish he was our player, maybe he took a bit too much on his shoulders similar to Rooney in his prime - if Kane or Foden offered more perhaps he wouldn't feel like he had to do it all alone, but it wasn't ideal.

Not entirely his fault but there’s too much hype around him, like Messi / Ronaldo level, he’s got an entire advert based on him… I just think it’s all bit to early for him, luckily he plays his football in Spain so he will be able to crack on and work on his game.

A few good moments but he's been largely unbelievably shit at this tournament. Very disappointing.