Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of Zirkzee btw? Having Van Nistelrooy at the club will no doubt help with his finishing. I'm wondering if he can become a zlatan level/type of striker?
He's more Berbatov than Zlatan if you ask me, though he's very big and strong for a such a technical player, so that's a bit Zlatanish. Whether he'll reach the level of either of those though, honestly hard to say.

I've only watched about 10 full games of him last season, so not really a Zirkzee expert.

Most of that is youth games though on the left. At this level, he has looked far better on the right and that's definitely where his future lies IMO. He's not an elite LW prospect, but he is an elite RW prospect.
He's not a winger on either wing. He's a deep lying forward. Why would we buy a player who plays as no9 or no10 from Bologna and try to make him a no7 or no11?

Most of that is youth games though on the left. At this level, he has looked far better on the right and that's definitely where his future lies IMO. He's not an elite LW prospect, but he is an elite RW prospect.
The player himself prefers the left, and ETH has accommodated him by playing Rashford on the right. I'd be very surprised if he switched to the right.

Interesting to hear the comments on The Athletic transfers podcast about Zirkzee. Described as unicorn player. Fantastic first touch, has abit of zlatan about him and could develop into a zlatan type of player in the future. Though his ex-manager thiago motta said there's abit of ronaldinho about his play (off the cuff, lots of flair). The £43mil release clause means he's available well below his market value.

As they said we have Hoijlund who works the channels. Zirkzee who will drop deep and links play. Therefore all that is missing is a experienced PL proven striker I.e. Toney or DCL to complete your forward line and give ETH different tactical options.

DCL can never stay fit

The player himself prefers the left, and ETH has accommodated him by playing Rashford on the right. I'd be very surprised if he switched to the right.
Ever since he started playing Garmacho on the right in fall of last season, Rashford hasn't once moved to the right wing. Garnacho played mostly on the right. Why would you be surprised about something that we already saw work successfully on a weekly basis last season?

Also a players alleged preference is irrelevant and doesn't mean they are better at something (and there's no proof he prefers the left?). His performances at the top level have just been far better on the right and that's why Ten Hag played him there in the cup final.

DCL can never stay fit
Which can be resolved i.e. diet, stretching, yoga, car he drives, the bed he sleeps on etc. or used to lower the price. Besides he wouldn't be a starter every week.

Anyway I would hope our new overhauled medical department can keep players fit and get to the bottom of long term injuries.

On a related note, apparently lewandoski has only ever missed a maximum of 3 games for his club through injury. He puts this down to his diet and his physical condition. Which he says his wife has helped him with alot as she's a fitness champion of some sort.

Though lots of tuna for breakfast sounds gross.

Ever since he started playing Garmacho on the right in fall of last season, Rashford hasn't once moved to the right wing. Garnacho played mostly on the right. Why would you be surprised about something that we already saw work successfully on a weekly basis last season?
This is confirmation bias. It worked well for two games in the pl, in which he scored a brace each, all 4 of those goals on the right were in those two games. He had plenty of games where he was quiet, just like on the left.

Also a players alleged preference is irrelevant and doesn't mean they are better at something (and there's no proof he prefers the left?). His performances at the top level have just been far better on the right and that's why Ten Hag played him there in the cup final.
It is absolutely not irrelevant, the players are not robots and if they feel comfortable playing on one side then that's how it is, you can't change that. If ETH feels he is better on the right then he'll play him there next season, but I'd say he won't.

This is confirmation bias. It worked well for two games in the pl, in which he scored a brace each, all 4 of those goals on the right were in those two games. He had plenty of games where he was quiet, just like on the left.

It is absolutely not irrelevant, the players are not robots and if they feel comfortable playing on one side then that's how it is, you can't change that. If ETH feels he is better on the right then he'll play him there next season, but I'd say he won't.
There's nothing at all to say Garnacho isn't comfortable on the right, he played almost the entirety of the 2nd half of the season on the right bar the games Rashford was injured for. In fact he played more on the right than the left, after Ten Hag first tried him there. It's not confirmation bias, it's a fact.

Also this is such a weird point to argue. Who the hell are we playing on the right if not Garnacho? Rashford and Garnacho are obviously are starting winger options, we aren't signing a winger this summer, and Garnacho is obviously the main RW option. Antony and Amad are backup roles, as it was to close last season, as it was in the cup final. My opinion is that he's better on the right, but what is a fact is that Ten Hag used him more on the right in the 2nd half of the season, and he did it for a reason.

Which can be resolved i.e. diet, stretching, yoga, car he drives, the bed he sleeps on etc. or used to lower the price. Besides he wouldn't be a starter every week.

Anyway I would hope our new overhauled medical department can keep players fit and get to the bottom of long term injuries.

On a related note, apparently lewandoski has only ever missed a maximum of 3 games for his club through injury. He puts this down to his diet and his physical condition. Which he says his wife has helped him with alot as she's a fitness champion of some sort.

Though lots of tuna for breakfast sounds gross.

Would still prefer Toney given a choice of them

6 mins of action live, and to be truthful he has looked exceedingly cumbersome in those mins. Hopefully that goes away the time to warm up.

Dutch looking so talent free makes Ten Hags insistence on bringing all these guys in concerning.

Last edited:
It's a bit odd they haven't been using him if he's a talent. Then again international teams sometimes do weird things.

It's a bit odd they haven't been using him if he's a talent. Then again international teams sometimes do weird things.

At this point I can only conclude that Weghorst has crippling blackmail on every Dutch football manager

Imagine convincing yourself that buying player, who is reserve option to a Weghorst who is a backup for Depay, is a great idea.

Thought his only involvement was pretty good. Decent bit of hold up play and a nice pass out wide.

There’s no sense of urgency in his game given the 6 minutes at this Euros. Not gonna lie it’s concerning :lol:

He just looks sluggish in his movements, which is not a great fit for the PL.

At this point I can only conclude that Weghorst has crippling blackmail on every Dutch football manager
Weghorst did once perform a minor miracle for them, I don't find it hard to understand why they go with him here.

Not based on this game but the one hesitation I'd have about him is he does seem to be very Martial like in terms of that lack of urgency, not looking like he's fully trying to impact the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.