Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
£34M for a striker is nothing these days. Considering how many top quality strikers are around then having Zirkzee,Hojlund and Wheatley battle it out seems like a good idea.
What has Wheatley done to get in front of Hugill?

Yeah, that's how I'm seeing it. You have different types of #9's, and Hojlund and Zirkzee would provide a good balance in terms of offering the different things that you mention.

The follow up from some will probably be that we don't get enough goals from elsewhere to play a non-prolific striker - but if you're going to keep and play the likes of Rashford, Garnacho and Fernandes, which we are, then there's got to be a belief that they can score plenty of goals (as Rashford and Fernandes have shown in past seasons), and so bringing in a kind of player that should hopefully help them to up their end product seems a good tactic. Especially given the lack of affordable and prolific #9's out there.

I mean, we are still having the same debate at Arsenal. Are a Havertz, Jesus type striker (non prolific but good link up strikers) the way to go, or do you go for someone that is more likely to get you 25 goals a season? We've defo shown that the supporting cast of Martinelli, Saka, Odegaard, Trossard mainly can still get you enough goals to compete for the league. On paper you think Rashford, Bruno, Garmacho, with 1 or 2 others could match the afore mentioned Arsenal players in terms of output, if you can get stability, the system correct and balance within that system. That will be key obviously.

He just signed a new contract in January and was just as good in the u18-23 games when he was there.

He's also just come back off a poor loan at Burton, he'll be nowhere near the first team squad

He's also just come back off a poor loan at Burton, he'll be nowhere near the first team squad
The same will apply to Gore then as he wasn't getting much playing time before he got injured.
I struggle to see how Wheatley will get any playing time so I imagine it will be a loan for him in the lower leagues.

I don't think this is happening. If you ask me why, I am likely to provide you a response exactly 14 words long which may or may not explain my reasoning sufficiently

Wasn't Hugill better in the youth sides than Wheatley?
I don't think he's shown the same potential, personally. Also his loans haven't been the best. I think Wheatley showed even in his very brief appearances, that physically he will handle the prem. So I think we'd probably hang our hat on Wheatley for our development focus.

I don't think he's shown the same potential, personally. Also his loans haven't been the best. I think Wheatley showed even in his very brief appearances, that physically he will handle the prem. So I think we'd probably hang our hat on Wheatley for our development focus.
Fair enough.

How much do you stand to benefit from this particular transfer, given the relatively low fee?
50% is Bayern's sell-on clause (Which essentially means that they can buy him back for 50% if that'd be Zirkee's and Bayern's plan.).

Having never watched him play. How do you think he would be used at United?

I wonder if EtH will continue with Bruno playing as a part of the front 3 and not the midfield 3. If so does Zirkzee suit a similar position or would he be used as the furthest forward.

Hojlund/Rashford Garnacho/Amad
Bruno/Zirkzee

Having never watched him play. How do you think he would be used at United?

I wonder if EtH will continue with Bruno playing as a part of the front 3 and not the midfield 3. If so does Zirkzee suit a similar position or would he be used as the furthest forward.

Hojlund/Rashford Garnacho/Amad
Bruno/Zirkzee
The signing would be a disaster. So i'm going to say on the bench next to Amrabat, if United are stupid enough to keep him too.

Decided I'm completely against this one. If we want a creative forward we have Bruno who can also initiate pressing from the front. Zirkzee is stronger but I dont think we need it and Hojlund is available to change it up.

The signing would be a disaster. So i'm going to say on the bench next to Amrabat, if United are stupid enough to keep him too.
Decided I'm completely against this one. If we want a creative forward we have Bruno who can also initiate pressing from the front. Zirkzee is stronger but I dont think we need it and Hojlund is available to change it up.

You two need to get a room.

I think we should approach this signing by trying to be objective - we've spent a shitload in the last years and our budget isn't unlimited, it seems like the club is banking on Hojlund being good enough to be our main striker for the foreseeable future, we finished 8th in the league last season, missed out on the Champions League and we played some dross football in the process.
As it seems like we are no longer in the business of buying players past their peak and overpaying them, we need to realize that the signings we will make are most likely not going to be the biggest names in football and the most talented youngsters will prefer more ambitious (infrastructure!) and more recently successful clubs. So we need to scout well, look for "hidden gems" (such a cliché phrase) and identify good enough players who would be happy and excited to join us while providing qualities we lack to get to the next level.

You two need to get a room.

Disagree? Our little upturn in form at the end of the season was Bruno as the furthest man forward, doing the creative than Zirkzee would do. This forum has wanted pressing from the front for like 4 years now and Bruno is our one attacker that actually does it with great work ethic.

Disagree? Our little upturn in form at the end of the season was Bruno as the furthest man forward, doing the creative than Zirkzee would do. This forum has wanted pressing from the front for like 4 years now and Bruno is our one attacker that actually does it with great work ethic.

They are completely different players, Bruno cannot carry the ball like Zrikzee or play well with his back to goal which is key to his ability to create. Zirkzees games is very similar to Martials

Exactly. People need to take into account the team he plays for and how much they create etc. in a bigger team he gets more chances and gets more goals.
And then put it into further context that one of our big issues last season was creating enough chances for Hojlund who statistically had a great conversion rate. We need to solve the issue of wingers who choose to shoot more often than cross or pass

its not as simple as let’s buy a goalscorer. Hence we are chasing someone who is can link up all the parts

I think that is very limiting, and you're purposely ignoring the fact that we were required to play McTominay as part of that system as well. Bruno isn't getting any younger, either.

I'd rather sign Zirkzee to act as a Plan B alongside Bruno, either because Plan A isn't working or because Højlund is out of the team for whatever reason.

I think that is very limiting, and you're purposely ignoring the fact that we were required to play McTominay as part of that system as well. Bruno isn't getting any younger, either.

I'd rather sign Zirkzee to act as a Plan B alongside Bruno, either because Plan A isn't working or because Højlund is out of the team for whatever reason.

You're ignoring the fact that we're talking about signing a player. If Bruno is the Zirkzee, we dont sign Zirkzee we sign someone instead of McTominay

And then put it into further context that one of our big issues last season was creating enough chances for Hojlund who statistically had a great conversion rate. We need to solve the issue of wingers who choose to shoot more often than cross or pass

its not as simple as let’s buy a goalscorer. Hence we are chasing someone who is can link up all the parts

Agreed, it doesn't matter what business United do this summer unless there's a minimal of two wide forwards signed the attack is going to struggle again next season.

The wide areas has been an on-going issue since Erik arrived. Rashford's form papered over it the season before last, but as I've stated on numerous occasions Anthony, Garnacho and Diallo is statistically one of the worst line-ups in the top 6.

It's not an inditement that they are bad players or having no future at the club but they are not at the adequate level in their careers to be consistent starters for a team of United's caliber with the ambition to challenge for top four.

Hojlund overperformed last season as a result.

Agreed, it doesn't matter what business United do this summer unless there's a minimal of two wide forwards signed the attack is going to struggle again next season.

The wide areas has been an on-going issue since Erik arrived. Rashford's form papered over it the season before last, but as I've stated on numerous occasions Anthony, Garnacho and Diallo is statistically one of the worst line-ups in the top 6.

It's not an inditement that they are bad players or having no future at the club but they are not at the adequate level in their careers to be consistent starters for a team of United's caliber with the ambition to challenge for top four.

Hojlund overperformed last season as a result.
“But we should osimhen for 130m. He can get into position”

that’s the argument that was put to me one day. People haven’t learnt anything. I just hope that our manager has

You're ignoring the fact that we're talking about signing a player. If Bruno is the Zirkzee, we dont sign Zirkzee we sign someone instead of McTominay

Ok so who do we sign instead as a replacement to McT, now that you've permanently converted Bruno into a false 9? Martial's left the club mate, we have 1 striker on the books. What's your big plan to rejuvenate our attacking fortunes?

This is just like when people suggest using Martinez as a DM. Sure, let's move one of our best players from the position they've regularly added value to the team and just create a big problem in another area of the pitch for no reason.

Ok so who do we sign instead as a replacement to McT, now that you've permanently converted Bruno into a false 9? Martial's left the club mate, we have 1 striker on the books. What's your big plan to rejuvenate our attacking fortunes?

This is just like when people suggest using Martinez as a DM. Sure, let's move one of our best players from the position they've regularly added value to the team and just create a big problem in another area of the pitch for no reason.

Its not a permanent change.

Bruno is the alternative to Hojlund, or Rashford just like Zirkzee would be the alternative and isnt starting every week.

Did you think Hojlund will never play for us again or that Rashford wont play up front again? Of course they will. So some games we'd have Bruno in AM and a striker and others Bruno would be furthest forward with someone supporting him from deeper. Hate to break it to you but I dont think Martial ever really became a striker.

Take the £37 million and put it towards whoever we want to add to the attack, the only requirement is that they're going to join Hojlund or Bruno up front and score goals.

Olise, Xavi Simons, Koopmeiners, Eze, Mainoo could play some games as the attacking midfielder too.

Alternatively just get Matteus Cunha from Wolves instead of Zirkzee. At least if we're going to get a creative forward he's shown he can score 12 goals in the premier league

And no its nothing like playing a player in a position we've never done before. Its what we did for our final run of fixtures when we got back to getting a few results. Its continuing to do what we were already doing

You're alright mate, I'd rather be optimistic and always wrong than pessimistic and always right. I'd never fit in.

Btw its what we used when we beat City in the cup final too.

Whats pessimistic about wanting the team to do what its already doing rather than a transfer we havent made?

I'm all for this signing, for no other reason than Zirkzee being a fundamentally solid player. For a team that likely aims to be on the ball a fair bit, we have a remarkable lack of players that consistently do the basics right - first touch, protecting the ball, clean/well weighted short passes etc.

We can't execute anything at speed at the minute because half of our team are liable to lose the ball completely unnecessarily at any given moment. Add players that can consistently do the basics right at minimum - we'll see an uptick in performances, and by extension goals through the whole team.

I agree mate. I’ve mentioned numerous of times that we need a creative winger. It’s no good having a pure ST when you have no creativity out wide. We have wingers that like to come in and shoot all the time. We need a winger that’s first thoughts are to assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.