Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor composition of the attack was factor last season. We can talk about selfish wingers but Rashford and Garnacho (at this stage) are what they are, head down and shoot, add Hojlund to that and you have 3 one dimensional forwards who are all score first, no surprise it didn't work.

Probably the hope was that Antony and Sancho would bring the creativity from the wide areas that would balance the attack a bit more but it never happened. Also prefer a forward with an all round game rather than a poacher especially given how focused the modern game is on goals from wide.

Yeah I mean the bottom line is that we have to create more as a team anyways instead of strictly talking about "who brings goals to the side". It's not like we were constantly missing sitters last year.

Don’t get the interest, don’t think he’s anywhere near good enough. I know I have only watched him less than 10 matches, but really don’t see why we’d be in for him. He’s not free, and not cheap either. Not good enough to be at a club challenging so if we ever have aspirations to challenge for big prizes he wouldn’t even be good enough to be back up. I get money is limited but that makes this singing even more weird. It’s high risk at best in terms of whether he’s gonna be good enough or not. I just don’t see it. But I’d be delighted to be proven wrong if we sign him

33m is pretty cheap for an up and coming striker. If he went to Milan and put up another good season that price doubles instantly (at least)

Haven't seen much of him bar the standard world-beating YouTube compliation every single player in the World seems to posses but he does look good with both feet and surprisingly mobile for a big man

He would likely already almost cost double if he didnt have the release clause

Correct.

Not sure what it is, but people don't seem to have an actual grasp of tranfer prices these days, especially for strikers. Everyone wants "a proven goalscorer" yet any club willing to sell one is going to ask for close to 80m or more, which is why you have to be willing to go after situations like Zirkzee who have a real chance of being brilliant but haven't quite had the top class season of results for people to see.

He's completely different to Hojlund so what's the thinking? Are we going to play one way with Hojlund and a completely different way with Zirkzee? It makes no sense to me. If we want a Zirkzee type player than fine. I can get the thinking. The Firminho in our attack. But then we better make sure we get the RB/LB ala Trent/Robinson. Even if we do then what happens when Hojlund plays? He isnt going to be that build up striker like Zirkzee. Then it all falls down? We adjust tactics? Its all just muddled. Its like signing Casemiro then expecting him to be this all action one man midfielder on his own in midfield.

People are not excited for him because they think our RW is empty & don't see the prolific ability of our wider forwards because of this.

Buying Zirkzee makes me even more sure that our Juventus linked player is coming back.

Unfortunately you don't buy someone like Zirkzee and sell someone that is a great finisher from out wide RW already in your books. It just doesn't make sense.

Zirkzee is about interlinking our wider forwards and to make it more skilfull, quick and indirect.

People don't see our wider players prolific enough because they expect 2 of our wider players to be sold.

Thats the problem with Zirkzee -

We have our -

Mane - Firminho - Salah

But people dont see the Salah player in the squad because they expect them to be sold so think Firminho would be rubbish because our RW only really has Amad & possibly Garnacho playing in an alternative position from their perspective.
Don’t start. He’s clearly for sale. The decision has been made. The best thing that he will do for us is make us a little money.

Him & Hojlund gives us options. They could play together with Hojlund taking a wide position. I actually think that this lad may get the best out of Rashford too. He can create space for players with pace to exploit

Ticks all the boxes of another ten hag signing.

Yeah. I've a bad feeling about this signing. Surely it makes sense to go for somebody already playing in the league rather than another gamble. We can't really afford to gamble in this position given our dreadful numbers last season in attack.

No but I’d rather we didn’t waste money when we are on such a limited budget on a striker that’s goalscoring record is not great.

Are you telling me that the only option at that valuation is another average Dutch player?
I am not telling you anything. Just asking a question. Jonathan David looks to be a better option in my opinion. What I've seen of Zirkee he's more of a CF or CAM than striker. I certainly think he struggles playing up top on his own. Maybe he'd preform better if we switched our system around to be more like R. Madrid play would suit him either 10 (Jude's position) or L/R Forward.

But I can't see that happening

Can we please just sign a tried and tested premier league goal scorer?

I don’t want anymore random punts on ‘link up’ players.

Can we please just sign a tried and tested premier league goal scorer?

I don’t want anymore random punts on ‘link up’ players.
I don’t think that’s the Ineos method of what they’re looking to do because that type of player generally comes with a high fee. i.e. Toney

Likely get a good 2-3 years but expensive (uses a lot of our budget), no resale (age), no ability to get a couple of contracts out of them (age).

If there’s a tried and tested 22-24 year old we can get cheapish, great.. but who?

Who would you suggest spending £60-80m on? I'd much rather Zirkzee at half the price.

I don’t know.
Maybe Toney for £50m?
At least we can almost guarantee that he will get 20 goals and take the burden away from Hojlund and the younger players.
We really don’t need another player that will be lucky to score 5 goals.

I don’t know.
Maybe Toney for £50m?
At least we can almost guarantee that he will get 20 goals and take the burden away from Hojlund and the younger players.
Not a fan of Toney. If we could get him for £30m as a squad option, then maybe. Not happening though. Solanke would be far too expensive and I'm sure Palace would now want big money for Mateta. This leaves you with a bunch of strikers who would score a similar amount of goals to Zirkzee.

Can we have some Serie A followers give an actual evaluation of Zirkzee?

I don’t know.
Maybe Toney for £50m?
How will he guarantee scoring 20 goals? Bruno takes penalty’s and that counts for half his goals

Toney for one but I guess we can't afford it.

Have you ever actually seen Zirkzee play to be so sure?
Toney isn't worth the fuss. Yeah, I've seen Zirkzee play. He won't get you 20 goals (although potentially he could), but he'd be a very good fit for the attack as a functioning unit and obviously a much better option than what we had last season (nobody). There can't be many better options for the price.

The tweets stating "we'd made contact with Kia Joorabchian over Zirkzee" are a nonsense. We would have been talking to Kia for a while trying to retain the services of Omari Forson anyway.

Not a fan of Toney. If we could get him for £30m as a squad option, then maybe. Not happening though. Solanke would be far too expensive and I'm sure Palace would now want big money for Mateta. This leaves you with a bunch of strikers who would score a similar amount of goals to Zirkzee.

Toney is so utterly overrated its not even funny. Half his goals are penalties which he wouldnt get to take here. He is an utter bellend. And Brentford got decidedly worse after he came back.
If we could get him for 35 mil then sure but the price Brentford want he is really not worth.

Toney is so utterly overrated its not even funny. Half his goals are penalties which he wouldnt get to take here. He is an utter bellend. And Brentford got decidedly worse after he came back.
If we could get him for 35 mil then sure but the price Brentford want he is really not worth.
Completely agree on all points.

I don’t know.
Maybe Toney for £50m?

He's scored 36 Premier League goals in 85 appearance. When you factor in that 11 of his goals were penalties (which we already have covered), he's only really 'guaranteed' to add around 25 goals to the side across two and a half seasons-worth of matches.

Man this fawning over Toney has to stop. He scored 20 goals in the Prem once and that's with taking 6 penalties. The other two times were in L1 and Championship and he's a gambling addict to boot. I've made this point before in this thread already but the way people go on about him is baffling. The next time he gets caught betting he will be banned for life and the same people will be here blaming the club for wasting money again.

Must admit, I've also been surprised at the amount of posters desperate to sign Toney and the talk that he'd be guaranteed 20+ goals, etc.

As others have pointed out, he's only ever (just) sneaked over 20 goals once in a PL season, and that was helped by being the penalty taker (which Bruno might not give up here). His other prolific seasons have been down in league one and the championship. I think he's a good #9, and proven himself PL standard for a club like Brentford. But I feel he might be a Danny Ings, Rickie Lambert level rather than a key player at a Top 4 challenger level.

Add to that the gambling issues. Addiction can recur at any point so it would be a 'gamble' in itself to spend big money on him when he could end up with another lengthy ban. Similar to taking a risk signing a player with a past of injury issues. Not sure we should be looking at those types of risk when, after years of Martial, the very least we need in our second striker is a player more likely to be available for large amounts of the season. Obviously no guarantees with that, but the history of some reveal them bigger risks than others.

Last edited:
Can we have some Serie A followers give an actual evaluation of Zirkzee?

Sure, he's a 30-40M player atm. So this hoopla going on is ridiculous. His agent is a world class twit. 15M commissions on a 40M transfer.... 15M commissions period... Horrid. And no, he wouldn't be worth 50, 60, 70M+ without the release clause... He's worth 30/40M, even in this footballing world. There's only ONE club confirmed to have told Bologna they'll pay the clause, and that's us (Milan) (per Romano and Moretto)

A player that is basically allowing his agent to decide his future based on who will pay his commissions is a player I don't want all that badly.

Is he good? Yes. Would I take him? Yes. Would I be thrilled? No.

He's not a real #9, but he has a lot of talent and potential. I don't think he's a great signing for Milan or for United, but Milan definitely needs him more.

Fantasy football player here. Toney's last half season probably does not paint the full picture. He did not start most of the last 5-7 games(speaking from recollection). He also got back from a longterm absence, so it played it's part.

Thomas Frank was testing Wissa-Mbuemo partnership second half of the season, getting the team ready to play without Toney, when he repeatedly started saying that he wants to leave . Frank originally started doing the Wissa-Mbuemo at the beginning of the season when Toney was suspended, until Mbuemo got injured. I would honestly take him to United, but only if the deal makes sense financially, like low transfer fee 25-30m max, and wages no more than 150k per week.

Not sure about this guy! If I am not mistaked he wasnt even called by Koeman but was a late call up due to a dropout! Also, the fact that Weg is getting ahead of him doenst fill you with confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.